- Posted on 05/18/2010 by Mary
I just saw that episode of One on One where Breanna and her friends vote for the first time, which was apropos 'cause I totally voted today (for the umpteenth time). There were primaries for a lot of states' governors, and senate seats, and all sorts of other foofaraw.
Those smaller elections can seem a lot more "who cares" than the big circus-like presidential ones, but I actually love the little elections -- because a lot of times, you're voting on things that affect stuff going on literally next door to you. (Like, do you want the pro-casino woman on the city council, or the guy who wants to make the city shelter a no-kill shelter, or the person who wants a public skate park?)
Or, if your state leans heavily toward one party or the other (democrat or republican), sometimes the primary is where the eventual winner pretty much get chosen. (The primary is when we choose who ends up on the ballot for the ELECTION election.)
Or, for instance, here are some of the effects of little elections in the news today:
It was little elections that populated the current school board of Texas, which is now making some big moves to change the way their history textbooks are written. And then a small-election person in California is proposing not to allow the Texas version of history in their schools . And it's all very crazy and fascinating and it all really comes down to boring rainy days like this one, where people you've never heard of end up in obscure political positions with surprising amounts of power.
Anyway. Yay voting! Anyone out there get to vote today?
- Posted on 05/14/2010 by Mary
EEEEEEEEE!! Lots to talk about from tonight's episode... though of course, if you haven't watched yet, this whole thing will be SPOILERSSSSSSS so go away! As for the rest of us...
1) Oh my GOD! When Riley was like, giggling because Anya said "you have a crush on Zane"... I swear It MELTED MY HEART! And then when he and Zane made plans for coffee... was I the only one jumping up and down in my chair going "Riley has a date! Riley has a date!"?
2) I was so scared he wasn't going to kiss him! And then when he did and he smiled... I don't think we've ever even SEEN Riley's smile before that. I didn't even realize how much I loved him as a character until I felt so overjoyed for him.
3) Curious... what would happen if (or did happen when) one of the biggest jocks at your school came out?
4) Clare! Dude! Clare is strong like the Hulk! I almost can't believe she didn't fall for K.C.'s "everything was better when we were together" line. Could you be that strong?
5) Jenna Middleton: not winning any fans tonight, I'm guessing. I used to try to give her the benefit of the doubt and think she was at least Real and fun, though flawed... but tonight she came off straight up shady, right? I know Jenn a has some fans out there... are any of you having second thoughts about her at this point?
- Posted on 05/13/2010 by Mary
We asked Sam some of our questions, and some of your questions. As usual, he was very tight-lipped and monosyllabic.
When you doodle, what do you draw?
Strictly hearts and rainbows. p>
What do you think makes a good Degrassi episode?
Dealing with relevant teen issues is a big staple of the show and the impact they can have on a lot of our audience is always remarkable and rewarding. But personally, if a story line is natural and understated, regardless of the subject matter, it will draw me in and have me involved in the worlds of the characters. Because the show revolves so much around relationships (whether they be romantic, friendly, or otherwise), the fate of an episode really entirely depends on how well these relationships are handled, by the writers as well as by the actors, who can truly make or break them. Like I said, when a relationship is well taken care of, only then can I really relate to the characters, which is not always easy being someone who is so tight with the actors who play them.
When it comes to these ambitious and topical episodes, I prefer the magnetic over the charismatic, something that draws the viewer in on their own terms, provoking reactions and opinions, transforming them into an active and thoughtful member of the discussion that the episode begins.
Halloween asks: "Do you go to a real school? If so is it like Degrassi?"
Yes I do! Don't know why people assume I'm some kind of underage drifter - I get plenty of breaks from filming. As for my (public, normal(ish), not full of actors) school, there's a small student body, and we don't have a ravine for our dirty business, so it might be a bit tame in comparison.
senmusic asks: " Who is your best friend on set?"
Panther, the really fat cat. The cast is alright (so much love it hurts).
Speaking of set cats, the other one, Noggin, is in the hospital. She's suffering from an identity crisis, too many name changes.
Oh and I think there was something about "eruption of the anal gland", might be a contributing factor, I dunno. But wish him well everyone!
And also from senmusic: "Did you originally audition for the character that you play?"
Yup. Good old KC, smooth-talker with a nasty past. I even remember some of the scene (never actually included), to Clare, who at first is all "no kissing 'til college", but then looks like she "wants to stick her tongue down my throat" when we both go to pick up a dropped pencil and share a tense moment locking eyes. It was a fun scene, something a little sketchy about running it over and over with my Mom though...
icegirl111 asks: "How do you feel about KC and Clare breaking up?"
At the time I think I might've been too young and foolish to grasp the long term consequences of what was going down, the only thing running through my head was "Oh cool! A nice meaty Clare scene!" I remember reading it for the first time in a read through. I always get almost embarrassingly invested in the scripts while I read them, and so I glanced up at the end and I remember seeing Ace throw me this look that was all "Dayumm son!", and [me] kinda just smiling back blankly, shrugging it off a little, assuming that however things went, KC and Clare wouldn't just vanish from each other's lives so abruptly. The truth is, I came on to this show as a part of Clare's storyline, and as an actor, I assumed nothing beyond my role as a love interest of hers. So even as KC has gone off and done his own thing, and continues to do so, that element of attachment to Clare as a character has always stuck with me. KC can do whatever stupid crap he wants, but if he doesn't seriously acknowledge the debt he owes to Miss Edwards somewhere down the line, I'mma break his nose (never been punched in the face, never punched someone in the face, so two birds with one stone!).
- Posted on 05/13/2010 by Lisa
I'm going car shopping this weekend (Eeee!), so I've got cars on the brain. I just noticed that at 7:00 pm tonight, we're showing the Drake & Josh episode where the guys shop for a car, and their dad makes them take Megan along.
They go to a used car lot and completely disagree about what kind of car to get. Megan falls in love with the bright yellow VW Beetle in this photo. Megan, I'm right there with you -- but I'd prefer it without the flowers. I love cute, bright-colored cars that are easy to spot in a parking lot.
Drake wants a black '67 Mustang, but Josh wants a practical sedan. (Oh, Josh. Live a little!)
If you could have any car in the world, what kind would you choose?
- Posted on 05/13/2010 by Mary
Someone asked you last minute? Or you just found out some other girl is wearing your dress? You know, you can replace your entire prom look for under $150, like right now. 'Cause, real talk: the key to having an awesome prom is not how much you spend. (The real key is a complicated formula involving friends, dates, after-prom plans, and who's in charge of hiring the DJ.) Not to mention, prom tickets are expensive enough these days.
With that in mind, we found -- and it wasn't even that hard! -- four different head to toe prom looks for less than $150. Except one that went $5 over, but... don't call the cops on us, OK?
The Party Girl, $144.64 (Total)
Coral polka dot dress, $59.90 at windsorstore.com; White bow pumps, $24.99 at payless.com; Silver bow wristlet, $32.45 at shoebuy.com; Rhinestone cuff, $27.30 at cache.com.
The Little Black Dress, $134.88 (Total)
Black diagonal strap dress, $52.99 at gojane.com; Red-soled black satin peep-toe pumps, $39. 99 at flyjane.com; Rhinestone ponytail holder $11.95 at discountdance.com; Black lace clamshell clutch, $29.95 at dsw.com.
Too Cool for Prom, $132.48 (Total)
Floral dress, $51.99 at modcloth.com; Purple gladiator heels, $39.99 at flyjane.net; Purple crystal dangle earrings, $18 at etsy.com; Silver fold-over clutch, $22.50 at ebags.com.
Hot but Girly, $155.29 (Total)
Yellow satin ruffle pump, $22.99 at charlotterusse.com; Black and white dress, $99 at promgirl.com; Big ol' dangly crystal earrings, $13.50 at sammoon.com; Black slinky mesh bag, $19.80 at ebags.com
- Posted on 05/08/2010 by Mary
So... couldn't help but notice Jordin's epic nails -- operating some sort of touchscreen, no less -- in the "S.O.S. (Let the Music Play)" video. (It was on Obsess This this morning; you can see it in our Video Hub now or on Obsess This Sunday at noon et). Let's discuss:
1) Like or dislike? Just as a concept ?
2) Would/Could you wear them yourself?
- Posted on 05/07/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS! BELOW! DO NOT READ unless you've already watched the episode OK? If your eyeballs slip, I'm sorry.
Everyone else... we have much to discuss.
1) I feel like Declan handled Clare um, kissing his neck (out of nowhere) pretty amazingly suavely. Most people have a hard time even handling people they're not into having a crush on them. Could you be that cool if someone you didn't really see in that way was acting so ga-ga over you? < /p>
1b) Also, I think I might be starting to totally love Holly J. So, so big sisterly of her.
2) I find it interesting that Clare's feelings of guilt about her perfectly normal feelings toward Declan turned her right back into "judgy Clare." It's like she's judging herself, and then she turned it out wards onto Alli... what did you guys think of that whole interaction?
3) Have you ever had um "dreams" about someone you know that you were like "Whoa, what? Really? That person?" I know I have. I've heard that it's not really about the person in real life, it's just what they stand for in your mind. But that doesn't make it less freaky to wake up from one of those!
4) So, now Sav is going to make cat videos for a hobby? Whatever it takes... but dude needs a new crush. Who should be next for Sav?
5) So... real talk... do you think Anya really is a manipulative and dishonest person, and that Sav is right to be so pissed off at her?
6) Ahhh, Seven Minutes in Heaven. I had my first kiss during a game of Seven Minutes. What's your kissing game history?
- Posted on 05/06/2010 by Mary
One time, I cornered Aislinn Paul (Clare from Degrassi) and made her talk about boys. She was very accommodating to my nosiness, because she is SUPER nice. And pretty much exactly as smart and realistic as you'd think she is.
Do you have a type? I always get to the point where I think I know my type, but then I like someone completely different and I don't know why. I think they just have to be someone who's willing to have conversations about the world... and just, think about stuff, as opposed to being rash and acting before thinking.
Have you ever had a crush on someone who had like, never cracked open a book? Yup! So, I think I know what my type is, but then I just trick myself and like someone completely different.
Do you and your friends have any rules about whether you can date ex-boyfriends, current crushes, anything like that? Well, the problem at my school -- I go to an arts school. So there's about one boy for every... twenty girls? So we don't even really worry about it. We just say, "Everyone, go for whoever."How 'bout you guys... do you have a type?
- Posted on 05/05/2010 by Lisa
Tonight we're showing the episode of Full House where Gia hooks Stephanie up with this guy Bobby. When Steph and Bobby meet, he tries to make out with her about two seconds later. She's a little freaked, but then she gives it a shot. If you like watching awkward makeout sessions, this one's a TV classic.
Seriously, though... If a Bobby-ish person in your life (somebody you've noticed, but never talked to) said "Hi" and started kissing you, would you be into it?
Are there any special circumstances that would affect your decision? (If the person is un-buh-lievably cute? If your favorite slow song is playing in the background?)
- Posted on 05/03/2010 by Mary
I was just thinking...
On Degrassi, Clare can sometimes seem younger than some of her friends: less experienced, more "innocent" -- just buying a black bra was like whoa for her.
But other times she seems older than everyone: less impulsive, a little wiser -- she's the kind of person who will give you the smart advice, not just the "omg, you're so right" treatment. And she's doing way-beyond-her-years academic work.
Would you say Clare is more mature than the other students at Degrassi... or less mature?