- Posted on 04/23/2010 by Mary
POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW! Those who haven't seen the latest Degrassi episode yet, go watch it, and skip this 'til you have.
- How often do you ride your bike? (Emma's got a point... zero emissions; plus cheaper than a car; plus you don't need a license; plus it's good for the butt.)
- Are you a food-sharer or not? (Like do you mind someone else dipping their used fork into your food, or does that gross you out?)
- On a date, how do YOU think the check should be worked out: split 50/50; each pay exactly what they owe; whoever asked pays; guy always pays; or girl always pays?
- Have you ever seen a friend (or semi-friend) do a total overshare online, and quietly cringed for them? Where do you draw the line at what you'll say on facebook or wherever?
- In Europe, a lot of students take a "gap year" between high school and college -- to travel, save money, whatever. And research shows that students who take a gap year do better in college because they're more in tune with WHY they're in school. Would you want to do that... and do you think your parents would go for it?
- Posted on 04/23/2010 by Chairman Nick Cannon
It's TRUE, people! We've got a new Degrassi movie, and we're not scared to use it! Coming soon to your living room.
Now I know y'all are sitting there, getting mad at your computers for not being able to watch the new promo frame by frame by frame, so I had someone pull a couple out for you.
I can't tell you what's happening in these, but I can tell you this: Jay looks smooth. What's up, Jay, who's your tailor?
As for what's up with everyone else... you're just gonna have to wait for the movie, I guess. (But for now, you're welcome to holla at ya Chairman with your best guesses in the comments.)
- Chairman Nick
- Posted on 04/22/2010 by Megan Kilroy
Hey everyone, Happy Earth Day! Today is actually the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, which just makes me wonder: what will our oceans look like 40 years from today?
Right now, every single ocean on the planet is becoming a plastic soup. In fact, in 2008, The Algalita Marine Research Foundation found six times as much plastic in the ocean as zooplankton. Let's talk about what that means:
Why is plastic in the ocean a problem?
- Sea birds such as the albatross often mistake plastic for food and regurgitate the plastic into their baby chicks mouths. As a result these birds die of starvation because, while they think they are full, their stomachs are simply full of plastic.
- Other animals such as fur seals often get entangled in floating plastic. The plastic does not break and eventually severs the seals arteries or strangles it.
- Plastic is not biodegradable. The pieces get smaller when they're in the ocean, but they don't go away.
- Most of the plastic that ends up on the street eventually makes its way to the beach. The majority of municipal storm drain systems are unfiltered and lead into the ocean -- even if you don't live near the ocean.
- Manufacturers of plastic are not always responsible in the ways that they handle and/or dispose of their products. The nurdeles (the small pellets that are used to produce plastic) are often dropped carelessly in transport and end up in the marine environment.
- Instead of getting a plastic bag when you go to the store, bring a reusable bag.
- Save money and plastic by filling up a reusable canteen instead of buying water bottles.
- When you get a drink, don't use a straw unless you absolutely need one.
- If you do use single-use plastic, always remember to recycle it and make sure it never ends up in the street.
Thanks and have a great Earth Day, everyone!
- Megan Kilroy
Megan Kilroy is a 2009 TeenNick HALO Award winner. See what she's been up to since then, nominate someone for a HALO, or find a great organization to volunteer with yourself on our HALO Awards site. - TeenNick
- Posted on 04/21/2010 by Lisa"
What makes a great party? It depends who you ask.
If you asked Jackie from That '70s Show, she'd probably describe a small, classy dinner party, like the one she tries to throw in ""Burning Down the House."" If you asked Kelso, he'd probably talk about an out-of-control house party that's packed with people.
Now I'm asking you.
1. When you're hosting a party, what's your ideal number of guests?
2. What's your all-time favorite party song?
3. What's on your snack table (or dinner table, if that's your style)?
4. What's the perfect party location?
5. Best night of the week for a party?
6. How do you want your guests to dress?
7. Would you decorate? (If yes, how?)
8. Dancing: Yay or nay?
9. Video games: Party fun or party foul?
10. While you're thinking about your ultimate party, what would you call it? Give it a name.
- Posted on 04/20/2010 by Mary
Tell us all about it... how cute their hair was; how you started eating ketchup and mustard on your hot dogs because that's how they ate theirs; how you wrote their name 100 times on one page in your notebook. We won't tell them.
(I ask because I just saw the "First Crush" episode of Drake and Josh.)
Mine... well he was in my ballet class and we got paired up for the pas de deux at the recital, and he was like the only boy I knew because I went to all-girls' school and of course he was the only boy at ballet. And one time in 5th grade he kissed me on the lips but just a peck, outside the Howard Johnson's.
And I just looked him up and saw that now he's a real estate agent. Yes, I facebook stalked my 5th grade crush for you; I hope you're happy.
- Posted on 04/19/2010 by The-Earth
Hey guys, remember me? It's the Earth! Want to help me celebrate another Earth Day on Thursday? I really hope you do because I could definitely use the help.
Speaking of help, have you guys seen how busy Megan Kilroy has been since she won a TeenNick HALO Award for all her work on my behalf last year? That girl is going to the next level -- now she's educating the next generation about keeping my oceans from becoming "plastic soup." And she's helping to build a solar-powered plug-in VW Beetle, too! I'm so, so lucky to count Megan as one of my friends.
I looked up some of the Earth Day resolutions you guys made last year... I know it's probably too much to hope for a couple billion Megan Kilroys walking around on me, but a couple billion tangledxups, xxViixens, and DianaxGs seems within reach!
"My resolution is to stop buying about 2 plastic water bottles a day at school and get a reusable one that I can fill up at drinking fountains when I'm thirsty. Because it's costing me/my mom way more money than necessary and even though I recycle the empty bottles, spending 5 dollars on a good, recycled materials, reusable one is way smarter. " - tangledxup
"i will start riding my bike to the store, to see friends, and sometimes to work. I know i can do it." - xxViixen
"I'll turn the tv off if I'm not using it, and turn my light off when i leave the room." - DianaxG
Thanks for all your help, guys. It means the world to me. :)
- Posted on 04/18/2010 by Mary
This week's advice-seeker says:
"i fell for this guy, and he ended up moving. his best friend was my best friend. my best friend was there for me when i was going through all of it and we started dating. now we've been dating for ten months and i love him. BUT, the guy i fell for still sends me texts telling me how much it sucks that we can't be together and we talk about it all the time. i found out he's moving back, and even though i love my boyfriend, i never got to be with the guy that i fell for and i still feel for him so much. i don't know what to do. help."
And Miriam McDonald (Emma on Degrassi) says...
"Two guys, one girl... Uh oh!
You're certainly not alone -- I think at some point almost everyone has felt a little conflicted when it comes to this kind of stuff. But here's my completely un-expert opinion ;)
You say you have a boyfriend who you love. It sounds as if your relationship with your current boyfriend has been great, so please don't let the fact that this other guy is moving back to mess up what you have!
The mystery of what it could be like with guy #2 is intriguing I'm sure, but love triangles are dangerous. If you keep up the text messaging, etc. with guy #2, it's only going to make it harder for you, so I think you should cut that off! Someone is bound to get hurt unless you are clear with both guys on where you stand.
If you focus too much on what could be, you may lose sight of what you have! I think the best thing for you to do is focus on how great your boyfriend has been for the past 10 months and try and put this other guy out of your mind for the moment... as hard as it may be!
I hope this is helpful!
All the best,
PS: If you have an advice question you want answered in the blog, let me know. We might pick your question to send to a Degrassi star!
- Posted on 04/17/2010 by Mary
Besides the fact that Landon Liboiron is the one wearing it, I feel like Declan's wardrobe deserves a hotness shout-out of its own. Last night's green sweater was great, but I will never ever forget this outfit from Love Games...
The silver tie, loosely knotted around a clean but not too crispy white shirt. The green and grey striped hoodie that brings out his eyes, plus looks like it smells really good.
Do any boys you know dress like Declan from Degrassi? Are you going to marry them?
- Posted on 04/16/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW... but if you saw the latest Degrassi episode, let's dish.
1) It just occurred to me: Jenna's only real friends were Alli and Clare who basically hate her now; and K.C. barely has friends either. They are marooned on relationship island, and is it me or is it already tense on like, day 2? What' s going to happen with them?
2) Fiona has issues. What was with that licking the coffee cup?
3) Though, I did go "Aww" when Declan said "When you're not happy, I'm not happy." Are you that close to your brother(s) or sister(s)?
4) Alli seems to want Clare to be more mad at K.C. than Clare actually is. She looked like she kinda wanted to be there for him when she realized he was going through such a hard time. Is that just the heartbreak talking, or do you think they can be real friends after what happened?
- Posted on 04/15/2010 by Mary
This week, Landon Liboiron (aka Declan on Degrassi) gives us 5 answers.
What was the first rock show/concert you ever went to, and what was the BEST rock show/concert you ever went to?
The first official concert I went to was Corb Lund. I haven't been to a lot of concerts, so I would have to say Jason Mraz put on the best show I've seen.
What makes you cranky? And what gets you un-cranky?
I get cranky when a fly buzzes around your ear when you try and sleep. No matter how much you swat at the thing it doesn't get the point to leave.
Watching a movie or playing guitar usually soothes me out if I'm in a bad mood.
When you doodle, what do you draw?
I don't know, whatever is in my mind at the time...
What do you think makes a good Degrassi episode?
I think kids going through what kids do makes a good Degrassi episode.
And a user question from equinegal5: How have you changed since joining the show?
I feel that I have. I feel like I'm more confident as an actor because being on a TV series forces you to work harder and be prepared. I also have a group of friends that have made my life different and more exciting. Good question.
(Hey, btw, If you have a question suggestion for a Degrassi star, let me know, k? K!)