Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 05/13/2010 by Mary
Someone asked you last minute? Or you just found out some other girl is wearing your dress? You know, you can replace your entire prom look for under $150, like right now. 'Cause, real talk: the key to having an awesome prom is not how much you spend. (The real key is a complicated formula involving friends, dates, after-prom plans, and who's in charge of hiring the DJ.) Not to mention, prom tickets are expensive enough these days.
With that in mind, we found -- and it wasn't even that hard! -- four different head to toe prom looks for less than $150. Except one that went $5 over, but... don't call the cops on us, OK?
The Party Girl, $144.64 (Total)
Coral polka dot dress, $59.90 at windsorstore.com; White bow pumps, $24.99 at payless.com; Silver bow wristlet, $32.45 at shoebuy.com; Rhinestone cuff, $27.30 at cache.com.
The Little Black Dress, $134.88 (Total)
Black diagonal strap dress, $52.99 at gojane.com; Red-soled black satin peep-toe pumps, $39. 99 at flyjane.com; Rhinestone ponytail holder $11.95 at discountdance.com; Black lace clamshell clutch, $29.95 at dsw.com.
Too Cool for Prom, $132.48 (Total)
Floral dress, $51.99 at modcloth.com; Purple gladiator heels, $39.99 at flyjane.net; Purple crystal dangle earrings, $18 at etsy.com; Silver fold-over clutch, $22.50 at ebags.com.
Hot but Girly, $155.29 (Total)
Yellow satin ruffle pump, $22.99 at charlotterusse.com; Black and white dress, $99 at promgirl.com; Big ol' dangly crystal earrings, $13.50 at sammoon.com; Black slinky mesh bag, $19.80 at ebags.com
- Posted on 05/08/2010 by Mary
So... couldn't help but notice Jordin's epic nails -- operating some sort of touchscreen, no less -- in the "S.O.S. (Let the Music Play)" video. (It was on Obsess This this morning; you can see it in our Video Hub now or on Obsess This Sunday at noon et). Let's discuss:
1) Like or dislike? Just as a concept ?
2) Would/Could you wear them yourself?
- Posted on 05/07/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS! BELOW! DO NOT READ unless you've already watched the episode OK? If your eyeballs slip, I'm sorry.
Everyone else... we have much to discuss.
1) I feel like Declan handled Clare um, kissing his neck (out of nowhere) pretty amazingly suavely. Most people have a hard time even handling people they're not into having a crush on them. Could you be that cool if someone you didn't really see in that way was acting so ga-ga over you? < /p>
1b) Also, I think I might be starting to totally love Holly J. So, so big sisterly of her.
2) I find it interesting that Clare's feelings of guilt about her perfectly normal feelings toward Declan turned her right back into "judgy Clare." It's like she's judging herself, and then she turned it out wards onto Alli... what did you guys think of that whole interaction?
3) Have you ever had um "dreams" about someone you know that you were like "Whoa, what? Really? That person?" I know I have. I've heard that it's not really about the person in real life, it's just what they stand for in your mind. But that doesn't make it less freaky to wake up from one of those!
4) So, now Sav is going to make cat videos for a hobby? Whatever it takes... but dude needs a new crush. Who should be next for Sav?
5) So... real talk... do you think Anya really is a manipulative and dishonest person, and that Sav is right to be so pissed off at her?
6) Ahhh, Seven Minutes in Heaven. I had my first kiss during a game of Seven Minutes. What's your kissing game history?
- Posted on 05/06/2010 by Mary
One time, I cornered Aislinn Paul (Clare from Degrassi) and made her talk about boys. She was very accommodating to my nosiness, because she is SUPER nice. And pretty much exactly as smart and realistic as you'd think she is.
Do you have a type? I always get to the point where I think I know my type, but then I like someone completely different and I don't know why. I think they just have to be someone who's willing to have conversations about the world... and just, think about stuff, as opposed to being rash and acting before thinking.
Have you ever had a crush on someone who had like, never cracked open a book? Yup! So, I think I know what my type is, but then I just trick myself and like someone completely different.
Do you and your friends have any rules about whether you can date ex-boyfriends, current crushes, anything like that? Well, the problem at my school -- I go to an arts school. So there's about one boy for every... twenty girls? So we don't even really worry about it. We just say, "Everyone, go for whoever."How 'bout you guys... do you have a type?
- Posted on 05/05/2010 by Lisa
Tonight we're showing the episode of Full House where Gia hooks Stephanie up with this guy Bobby. When Steph and Bobby meet, he tries to make out with her about two seconds later. She's a little freaked, but then she gives it a shot. If you like watching awkward makeout sessions, this one's a TV classic.
Seriously, though... If a Bobby-ish person in your life (somebody you've noticed, but never talked to) said "Hi" and started kissing you, would you be into it?
Are there any special circumstances that would affect your decision? (If the person is un-buh-lievably cute? If your favorite slow song is playing in the background?)
- Posted on 05/03/2010 by Mary
I was just thinking...
On Degrassi, Clare can sometimes seem younger than some of her friends: less experienced, more "innocent" -- just buying a black bra was like whoa for her.
But other times she seems older than everyone: less impulsive, a little wiser -- she's the kind of person who will give you the smart advice, not just the "omg, you're so right" treatment. And she's doing way-beyond-her-years academic work.
Would you say Clare is more mature than the other students at Degrassi... or less mature?
- Posted on 05/01/2010 by Mary
Did you see our new Obsess This thingy? It was on at 10 am et today (like cartoons, but with Taylor Swift and Big Time Rush) and it's on again at noon et on Sunday (cereal + music + sleeping in = weekend gold). You can see the videos over here, too, if ya like.
Anyway, what with Justin Bieber's "Baby" being up there, I thought now was as good a time as any to have a Justin Bieber debate in the comments!
1) Are you a fan, or are you rolling your eyes right now?
2) Whether you'd buy his stuff or not... how talented do you think he is on a scale from 1 -10? One being "kind of like those first episodes of American Idol every season where they trot out the crazies" and 10 being "Basically Michael Jackson".
3) And... would you kick him out of your car if he asked for a ride home?
- Posted on 04/30/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW! SKIP THIS if you haven't watched the new Degrassi episode!
Otherwise, let's dish:
1) GO PETER! Doing the right thing, taking care of business! It's about time! Did you think he had it in him?
2) Peter's so right, every town needs cool all-ages place to see shows and hang out. Too many places are 18+ an 21+ even though it's the under-18s who love music the MOST. Do you have a place to go for all-ages music? (Oh wait, look... if you're not sure, check this directory of all-ages venues across the country! So psyched this exists!)
3) I want Tuscany to change my life :( Have you ever traveled anywhere interesting?
4) I love that Clare bought a black bra just to have, just for her own private knowledge. I wonder if Mrs. Edwards will freak, haha. What's your parents' stance on sexy underwear for someone your age?
5) You know, one of the things that sucks the most about high school is that if you ever have a break-up, you're probably going to have to see your ex and their new bf/gf in action all the time. Once you're out of school, it's so much easier to avoid that visual. Have you ever had to watch an ex indulge in PDA with your replacement?
- Posted on 04/27/2010 by Mary
We keep seeing things like this pop up on Twitter... and we can definitely relate, sometimes. Ever feel like you're living through your own personal Degrassi episode?
cheeriocaliente @eiresiren *texts* life? Growing pains? idk. My life is like one giant episode of Degrassi and not in the fun way.
leiachristina If only my life was an episode of degrassi.
Joey_Da_Realist Life Feels Like Degrassi ;
Elaina_is_rrrad Lately, my life is like Degrassi :(
YourNameHere24 I love how "Degrassi-like" my life keeps getting...
- Posted on 04/25/2010 by Mary
This week, Jajube Mandiela (aka Chantay on Degrassi) answers five questions... and now we want to hang out with her so bad.
What was the first rock show/concert you ever went to, and what was the BEST rock show/concert you ever went to?
First concert: I went to lots of small venue concerts with local and independent artists throughout my really young child and early teen years, but the first large venue concert was PsychoBlast 2000 featuring Christina Aguilera (and popular Canadian groups)
And the BEST: k-os's concert at the Molson Amphitheatre here in Toronto (July 2005)
What makes you cranky? And what gets you un-cranky?
Being really hungry & really sleepy = soooooo cranky. To get uncranky, either sleep or food makes me happy again!
When you doodle, what do you draw?
I often doodle on theatre scripts during rehearsal (when we are reading through and discussing the play and such), and I find myself doodling flowers, swirls, hearts, words, eyes, eyebrows and sometimes even lips.
What do you think makes a good Degrassi episode?
When the storyline is about a classic, teen issue that teens, parents and everyone else can relate to, most likely because they or someone they know has lived it (like one of the Dave Season 9 storylines where he tries to become cool at school by standing up to bully, Bruce).
And a user question from IcyTowerz: Who do you most relate to as a character?
Holly J's ambition: she is so driven, motivated and successful. I do not relate to her mean, step-on-other-people to get whatever she needs methods, but her drive is so passionate and relatable.
(Hey, btw, If you have a question suggestion for a Degrassi star, let me know, k? K!)