Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 03/31/2011 by Mary
Adam and his family and friends say goodbye to his former identity, Gracie, in the Peabody Award-winning episode of Degrassi, "My Body Is a Cage"
Degrassi won a PEABODY AWARD!
It's no KCA, but it IS a 70 year-old prestigious media award that's pretty hard to come by, and a HUGE honor. Stacking that on top of those GLAAD media awards, we are so, so proud of Degrassi right now.
The winning episodes were "My Body Is a Cage" (part 1 and 2) -- aka the first episodes where we learned about Adam being transgender. The Peabody people say, "True to its history, the durable high-school serial’s two-parter about a transgender teen neither trivializes nor overdramatizes its subject." WORD THAT. Degrassi: neither trivializing nor overdramatizing subjects since 2001, y'all. (Or 1979, depending on how you're counting.)
I took another look at them today and man... Degrassi was really, truly firing on all cylinders during those two eps. I mean obviously Jordan Todosey did an amazing job, but so did Luke Bilyk... and the B story was Anya's mom having lymphoma, which was another one of my favorite Degrassi stories because I love the rapport she and her mom have! Good God did I cry at these episodes.
- Posted on 03/30/2011 by Mary
After a day on set at Degrassi going through Riley's intense and emotionally draining storylines... does Argy take his work home with him? Find out in part two of his photo shoot interview:
I love when he talks about how part of his training in acting is just to stand back and observe. Do you ever just do some people watching at your own school? Care to share any observations you've made?
Argiris Karras as Riley Stavros on Degrassi
- Posted on 03/29/2011 by Mary
"I don't like you like that, and I probably never will." - ???
Ouch! Who do you think is shutting down whom this Friday on Degrassi?
- Posted on 03/28/2011 by Lisa
Need another reason to watch the Kids' Choice Awards? Two Degrassi cast members will be there -- Munro Chambers (Eli) and Aislinn Paul (Clare)!
Your best bet for spotting them is to watch the orange carpet pre-show on Nick.com, starting at 7pm on Saturday. Nick.com will have all sorts of access you won't see on-air (they can't fit everything on TV), so keep an eye on your computer monitor during the show.
Here's a rundown of everything that'll be happening on Nick.com on Saturday.
Btw, if you see a tall girl on the orange carpet with bright pink hair, that's me! If everything goes as planned, I'll be at the KCAs writing live updates for Nick.com during the show. I know I'll see all sorts of celebs that day, but since I'm a Degrassi fan, I'm most excited about Munro and Aislinn! I hope we get a photo together. :)
Aislinn and Munro will pose for a pic with me, right?
- Posted on 03/28/2011 by Mary
So Fiona's coming back from rehab this week... but her problems haven't disappeared.
Fiona in Degrassi: In Too Deep "Chasing Pavements, Pt. 1"
Do you think Fiona will be strong enough to handle facing Bobby without turning to alcohol again?
Oh and someone else is going to be dusting off her old Degrassi uniform too... check the whole flipbook to see who!
- Posted on 03/27/2011 by Mary
Aww, Coach Armstrong has been on/at Degrassi for ten years! Ten years of puttin' up with kids spreading rumors about him being inappropriate with Liberty; gettin' his car keyed; dealin' with star basketball players on mushrooms... and of course, teaching math.
Here's to Coach Armstrong. May he someday retire happily to Hawaii on a fat pension.
Coach Armstrong, dispensing no-nonsense advice with the appropriate level of detachment on Degrassi
Who's your favorite Degrassi faculty member of all time? Drop it in the comments!
- Posted on 03/25/2011 by Mary
LOOK OUT, SPOILERS BELOW for those who missed out on the awesomeness. (Here's the full ep so you can be like the rest of us.) But if you've seen it, let's get chatty.
Holly J fell down went boom on Degrassi. She has a boo boo in her kidneys.
1) It's a good thing I never ran away because I have a feeling I'd fare just about as well as Alli -- I would totally try to ask someone for "Runaway 101" tips and end up getting jacked.
2) If your parents wanted your whole family to go to therapy together... would you be into it?
3) UP TOP, WESLEY! What do you guys think of Hannah? And should we call them Wannah? Weslah? I think I like Wannah. Anyway, a round of applause for a sweet guy finding a lovely girl. clap clap clap clap clap
4) You know what? It's interesting that Holly J didn't try to sabotage Chantay, since they were competing at that work study. It seems like the HJ of even a season ago totally would have. (It's also interesting that so many people out there speculated that Holly J might have diabetes, since it did turn out to be her kidneys... even if she got there in a really roundabout way.)
5) Also, who else here is guilty of totally trying to put off dealing with being sick because you were like "I don't have TIME to be sick." /me sighs, raises hand.
- Posted on 03/23/2011 by Mary
What's it like to get fan mail? And what is Jamil (aka Dave) like in real life? Melinda expounded for us, approximately 31,000 twitter followers ago:
Melinda Shankar of Degrassi works them red ankle booties.
- Posted on 03/22/2011 by Mary
Clare, mortified, in "Man with Two Hearts"
User Brandy created this message board threat about Embarrassing Moments on Degrassi... She mentions such golden scenes of humiliation as:
"When the teacher found the vibrator in Clare's book bag in the middle of class.
When Declan listened to the angry voice message that Holly J sent in front of her."
Ah, embarrassing moments. No one does them quite like Degrassi. What have been your favorites so far?
And... just fyi... mild SPOILER ALERT... you're in for another classic one this Friday.
- Posted on 03/22/2011 by Mary
"I guess if it's not dangerous, it's not worth it, right?" -- ???
Which Degrassi mouth is going to blurt that one out on Friday? Prognosticate in the comments...