Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 02/15/2011 by Mary
One in four people under 18 lives in a family affected by alcohol abuse or alcoholism. Most of those people know what it's like to HATE IT when a parent drinks -- to feel embarrassed to bring friends over, to feel anxiety about their parent's unpredictable behavior, or to feel like they have to take care of their parent instead of their parent taking care of them.
Today, TeenNick is showing this Nick News special called Under the Influence; it's about the different experiences the children of alcoholics have when their parents drink, and the different ways some have found to get through it.
You can watch the whole thing right here:
If you have the same problem in your family, NACOA (The National Association for the Children of Alcoholics) has a very important message for you:
It's not your fault.
You can't control your parent's drinking.
And you're not alone.
Even though you can't control someone else's drinking, you CAN still help yourself -- to have a better and safer life regardless of what they do. Even if the alcoholic never changes, you can still be OK.
1) You can reach out for help -- talk to a trusted adult like a grandparent, aunt, uncle, a friend's parent, or someone at school like a teacher, school counselor, or nurse.
3) You can join a support group -- your school counselor can help you find one. Support groups are a great way to meet other people who are going through the same thing you are, and to help each other through the hard times. One example is Alateen; here's a link to some basic questions and answers about what Alateen is about.
4) You can educate yourself by reading this Q&A from NACOA about what alcoholism is.
And if you have a friend who's going through this, send them a link to this page, OK?
- Posted on 02/14/2011 by Mary
- Posted on 02/14/2011 by Lisa
Here's a romantic topic for debate, since it is Valentine's Day and all. Do you believe two people can fall in love right away -- from the very first moment they meet?
For example: Alli and Drew. They felt an instant attraction, but was it love, or were they just hot for each other?
What about Eli and Clare? Did Eli step out of his hearse and right into Clare's heart? They definitely felt *something* when he picked up her broken glasses and told her he had pretty eyes... but it's tough to say if it was love.
Do you think it's possible to love someone before you know anything about what they're like as a person?
Maybe humans have love instincts and we can sense whether someone is right for us. But even if we DO feel an instant connection -- does it mean anything? Or is love more meaningful if it develops over time?
Has anyone out there experienced love at first sight? If not, what's the closest you've been?
This post is sponsored by Beastly, in theaters March 4th (PG-13).
- Posted on 02/11/2011 by Mary
If you haven't watched the hour long premiere of Degrassi: In Too Deep.... one, what's wrong with you, and two, thank heavens you can watch the whole thing in HD on this site. What would you do without us?
SPOILERS BELOW UNLESS YOU'VE WATCHED MMKAY?
* FADAM! Orrr... not? What do you think of them as a couple? How angry do you think Fiona is about the whole intervention thing? How much better does he look in Declan's clothes than he did in the baggy stuff?
* Dr. Chris and Anya. Hrm. He's into LARPing! And Renaissance Faire! Match made in heaven. And also he's finished med school while she's not even out of high school. What do you think the prognosis is for their future? Does it creep you out that he's going to wait for her to be 18, or do you think it shows some dignity and respectability?
* Dave and Sadie. Aww, Dave! She's adorbs! We're so glad Dave finally met a girl and didn't completely permanently screw it up. What are your thoughts on taller girl/shorter guy couplings? (We here in TeenNick blog land are 100% pro, for what its worth.)
* "Everyone knows the rule is half your age plus seven." What are your personal limits for how much younger or older of a person you'd consider dating?
* "She'd kill me for giving this to you, but after all you've done..." Holly J!! You can't just go around handing out pages from people's journals to other people! Why were you even reading Fiona's journal in the first place?! Still... I'm glad Adam got to read that.
- Posted on 02/11/2011 by MaryOur new "Exclusives" tab can only be seen by our favorite friends... the ones who Like us! Check it out!
- Posted on 02/09/2011 by Mary
One time, Degrassi's Fiona discussed her loaner Louboutins behind the scenes at a photo shoot... my hand to God it happened. Look! There's proof!
- Posted on 02/09/2011 by Mary
"You better be worth the wait." -- ???
Whose mouth do you think THAT's gonna come out of? Find out Friday at 9p et...
- Posted on 02/08/2011 by Lisa
I posted a new quiz today -- Who's Your Degrassi Valentine? -- and I love the little Valentine results SO MUCH that I'm going to post them all right here:
Feel free to share these Valentines with your online love interests. And don't forget: We posted a bunch of printable Degrassi Valentines last week. :)
- Posted on 02/08/2011 by Mary
"Us Sweetheart Week haters gotta stick together." -- ???
1) The above quote was overheard in the new episode of Degrassi... who do you think says it? (You'll find out soon enough; Degrassi: In Too Deep premieres Friday at 9et!)
2) Are you a Valentine's Day hater? Or lover? Or conscientious objector? Or neutral observer? Roll call in the comments...
- Posted on 02/07/2011 by Mary