- Posted on 02/05/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS AHOY. Shut your eyes and turn away if you didn't watch Love Games yet. Otherwise....
- "You want low-maintenance. Date a Honda." Isn't it weird how, with the Declan's of this world (whether they're guys or girls)... so many people think that the way to get them is to be or do whatever The Declan's want. To roll over, basically. But The Declan's all want a challenge -- a Jane, a Holly J. Someone with their own independent ideas. Do you notice this to be true with people you know? Or do they all seem to want Hondas?
- Declan spilling his feelings through the door of the sound-proof booth was kind of genius. I know so many people who conduct their harder-to-have talks in moderated ways. Sometimes it's much easier to compose your thoughts in longform writing, or I remember reading about a couple who choose to only argue through a closed door. What's your favored medium for talking about things you have a hard time talking about? Phone, face to face, in person while holding each other, in the car, via txt, IM, long emails...?
- So.... Danny and Chantay, cute and all, and all's fair in love and war and all that buuuut... do you think Chantay should date her friend's recent ex right after they broke up like that? Or are these special circumstances?
- Posted on 12/23/2009 by Mary
I mean like really old nursing home-aged people, like the ones D.J. volunteers with on Full House? This episode actually kinda reminds me of Say Anything, too (the movie, not the band)... anyway. Some people are great with old folks, some are totally freaked out by them. Which are you? And why?
- Posted on 11/20/2009 by Mary
SPOILERS ARE IN THIS POST. If you haven't watched the episode, don't read because you'll ruin your own fun! THIS MEANS YOU, PLEAZZZE.
E'eryone else... let's dig in.
- That whole "it's better to be known as a gay basher than a gay person" thing reminded me of this documentary I saw, where some gay men were talking about how when they were closeted in high school, they used to join in on beating up other gay kids, because it kept the suspicion away from them. It was the saddest thing ever. Let's have a moment of silence for everyone who's ever taken a beating to hide someone else's fear.
- And wheeew. I love that Riley's come to a decision he can live with. How do you feel about his decision to wait 'til after high school to come out?
- OK, regardless of whether you yourself might ever want to LARP, did you at least feel kinda like "Right on!" when Anya stood up for herself and her interest? I was like, dag, go Anya.
- Is there anything you love that other people think is dorky? Stand up for it right here!
- Have you ever been willing to accept the dorky habit, hobby, or interest of someone you think is otherwise great -- friend or bf/gf? What was it?
- DUDE. JENNA AND K.C.. UHHHH DON'T KNOW IF YOU NOTICED BUT CLARE IS STANDING RIGHT THERE. Keep a lid on the frickin' eye sex! Geez!
- Posted on 11/13/2009 by Mary
SPOILAHS DOWN BELOW YOU GUYS. Scroll on past until you're good and ready. The rest of yous:
1) Off the top, I feel the need to point out that when the guys asked the lifeguard teacher guy which of his female students was the hottest, and he said "It's not really my place to say"... that it wasn't his place to say because he's their FRICKING TEACHER and not because he's gay. Juuust making sure we're all on the same page on that one.
2) Riley . Riley Riley Riley. Honey. I worry so much about you. What do you guys think is going to happen? Will he ever be at peace with himself? What will it take?
3) That whole Dave/Jenna dynamic at the fair... ohhh man have I seen THAT go down in real life. Have you ever found yourself on a "surprise date" that you didn't quite realize was a date? Or have you ever thought you were on a date and realized a little too late that you were just "hanging out"?
4) I imagine I'm not the only one who laughed a Juno laugh when that guy from lifeguarding class -- Fitz, I believe the credits said his name was -- asked Riley and Fiona, "So are you two, you know, sexually active?"
5) Now I finally know why the Degrassi sign has said "JOIN THE LARPING SOCIETY!" for a few weeks now. What do you think of Anya's hobby? Would you join the LARPing society? If all the coolest people in your school suddenly got into LARPing, would you do it then?
- Posted on 11/06/2009 by MaryTHE SPOILERS, THEY ARE BELOW. YOU DO NOT READ THEM IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO. OK? OK THEN. OK.
Let's break it down, Degrassi watchers.
1) Let's have a truth circle. Have you ever been the person who maybe kinda sorta accidentally chose the proverbial mister before your sisters, or... the perfectly respectably young lady before your bros? The kind of person who "needs to get some non-Sav interests"? Or have you been on the other side of that... been the sister or bro who got blown off for the mister or... the perfectly respectably young lady?
2) OK, who here has had a guy or girl over when you were babysitting, raise your hands.
3) I know I can't be the only one who felt not just kinda sorry, but actually really sorry for Declan in this, right? I think he really likes Jane, and I was super touched when he asked her if she wanted to "talk about it." I mean I know he's crossing a cheating line but.. . that doesn't mean his heart's not broke!
4) How do you feel about Holly J choosing not to rat Jane out now that Jane has ended things with Declan? Look fair and square to you, or do you feel a little queasy about it?
5 ) Dude, really boys? Urine? Really? SMH. How about you, what's the most disgusting thing you've ever seen people do in the name of a prank?
- Posted on 10/30/2009 by Mary
SPOILERS AHOY! Don't read 'til you've watched.
1) It doesn't seem like Jenna is actively manipulating or undercutting Clare yet.. . what do you think? Think we'll see her truly catty side come out still?< p> 2) I thought the interplay between Alli, Jenna, and Clare was SO true to life as far as girl friends go. We all have the one friend we talk to when we want to obsess about someone, because we know they'll let us and even encourage us. .. and then the friend we go to when we want a glass of cold reality thrown in our face because we KNOW we need to get over someone. Do you have different "roles" for your friends?
3) Peter's line about "feeling like I got fired from my friends" -- that broke my heart! Ever feel like that?
4) Oh my God, and when Peter handed Jane the tambourine and was like "Looked sexy when Mia did it!" -- so classic. So totally clueless about how dumb he sounded... I loved Jane's "whatever, idiot" face. Have you ever felt pigeonholed into doing like "the girl job" or "the guy job"?
5) Do you think the St¨dz are better with Jane or Peter?
6) And as far as Johnny and his big fat lying face go.... I have way more to say about that, I'm gonna wait 'til tomorrow. What was your reaction? That scene... when he revealed it... holy crap. Big points to Scott Paterson for the acting on that one. Even though on paper the words look kind of giggle-worthy, he made it feel eerily real.
- Posted on 10/23/2009 by Mary
SPOILERS LIKE RAW CHICKEN LEFT IN THE BACKSEAT OF YOUR CAR BELOW. DO NOT READ IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH.
1) OK. Declan. What's his deal. He seems to like Jane for all the right reasons and just be kind of ethically challenged as far as the whole "she has a boyfriend" thing goes... and yet, also, in a way... he did try to back off because of the "Dot guy" situation and Jane subtly indicated that she didn't want him to back off. Sooo... what's your take on that guy?
2) Stüdz + Jane : Thumbz up, down, or sideways?
3) Do you think Manny gave Jane good advice this episode? Or was she just predisposed to be kind of anti-Spinner just because Spinner wasn't right for Manny?
4) Did Jane do the right thing not breaking up with Spinner? Or should she have ripped the bandaid?
5) Yay, K.C. found a father figure! Please please please don't let that guy turn out to be some kind of disappointment. I feel like all of us can relate to that feeling of finding an adult who seems to actually "get" you and really wants to help you out, whether you live with your parents or not. Have you ever had a coach, or teacher, or whatever who was like that?
- Posted on 10/16/2009 by Mary
BIG TIME EPISODE SPOILERS BELOW, don't read if you haven't watched the new Degrassi episode yet! But if you have:
1) Fiona's so much nicer than I expected! What do you guys think of her?
2) Poor Alli... everyone gets PDA from their boyfriends except for her. What are your PDA maximum and minimum? As in what level of PDA can you tolerate from your bf/gf... and what level do you absolutely have to have in order to feel appreciated? Like if someone won't hold your hand in public, are you OK with that?
3) When Johnny told Alli to "act a little more mature", I found myself wondering: Who was acting less mature? Alli, being all goo-goo eyes and spoon-feeding Johnny in the cafeteria, or Johnny, being so intent on maintaining his tough image that he could not tolerate a photo of himself with a stuffed animal being made public?
4) Do you think Sav and Johnny are right that lovey dovey talk should be kept private? Why do guys give each other such a hard time over doing that kind of stuff, if they all do it once they're in love?
5) That last scene, when Alli comes stomping up to Johnny -- the guy she loved to pieces like one day earlier -- I was so pissed at him right along with her. And then you realize he's totally going to keep those pics and she has no control over them anymore. That was like my nightmare... I think that's probably just as bad a fate as having your pics get on the Internet, is knowing that this guy you are SO OVER and pretty much hate might have control over the privacy of your body. So messed up. What were you guys feeling during that scene?
- Posted on 10/09/2009 by Mary
SPOILERS IN HERE. AVERT YER EYES IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE PREMIERE YET!
So what did you guys think of the season premiere? I thought Jamie Johnston did an amazing job; it looked like it must have been an exhausting shoot for him. Anyway, let's take it all apart...
1) Dude, what is Peter doing wrong that all his girlfriends keep moving to other continents? I could feel his heart cracking when Mia pulled that "Don't get mad BUT...." < /p>
2) Would you feel jealous or threatened if you walked in on your best friend bonding with the new kid, like when Alli walked in on Clare and Jenna doing pedicures?
3) Jenna seems like trouble on a few levels BUT, hear me out: I was thinking about how maybe she's just doing her best? Because it's hard to be the new girl.... you've got to make all new friends, and everyone's already got history with each other, and if you want to date anyone it's almost impossible not to step on SOMEONE's toes. Have you ever been the new kid, and did you have any trouble with it?
4) Do you trust Jenna? Do you think her "I'm not half as pretty as you, Alli!" type stuff is genuine or manipulative?
5) Hey. Holly J's priority is this taco. Got it?
6) Also, Holly J has lots of sides, you can't just pick the one you like. Has anyone ever tried to "change" the parts of your personality they didn't like, and how did it go down?
- Posted on 05/12/1915 by TeenNickBlogger
Inspiration to Help and Lead Others can come from many places. Maybe you witnessed a random act of kindness on the street and decide to pay it forward, or maybe you're inspired by the story of another teen just like you, or maybe, like many of us, your celebrity heroes use their global presence to open your eyes to important causes and issues. When they're not singing, dancing, acting or making us laugh, here are 10 celebs who spread the HALO Effect all the time.
Our girl Taylor is involved in several charities and causes, including public education funding for art and music, children's literacy and natural disaster relief. She donated the proceeds from her 1989 hit single "Welcome to New York" to NYC public schools and in 2012, funded the building of a new education center at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville. She makes frequent visits to children's hospitals to play her songs for fans and even wrote and performed a song called "Ronan" in memory of a four-year-old boy who died of neuroblastoma in 2012. We're barely scraping the surface of all the good Taylor does, so it's no wonder she was recognized as the most charitable celebrity of 2014 by the Do Something Awards!
Sources: New York Times, ABC News, New York Times
Emma Watson became a HALO hero last year when she launched the United Nations #HeForShe campaign during an address at UN Headquarters. Her kick-butt campaign promotes feminism and calls for both men and women to fight together, in solidarity, for gender equality. As a UN Women Goodwill Ambassador, Emma has become a global spokesperson for feminism today. She has inspired women and men alike to not only gain a deeper understanding of what feminism is, but also to promote it fearlessly and wholeheartedly.
Queen Bey's philanthropic initiative #BeyGOOD is a campaign that supports several causes. The movement has helped put people back to work, helped restock clothing donation centers, provided counseling, housing, food, and medical assistance to homeless, promoted Autism awareness and impacted global empowerment of women and girls. NBeyD. She is #Flawless.
In 2013, Justin became the first recording artist ever to grant 200 wishes through the Make-A-Wish Foundation to children with life-threatening medical conditions. He is also a big supporter of Pencils of Promise, an organization that helps build quality schools and develop sustainable education programs for children all over the world.
Sources: Make-A-Wish Foundation, Pencils of Promise
At the end of last year, funnyman Chris Pratt gave a touching speech at the March of Dimes Celebration of Babies event. While honoring the organization which funds research to help solve premature birth, birth defects and infant mortality, he spoke about his own son, Jack, who was born prematurely.
Sources: NBC Today
We love Mindy Kaling for many reasons, one of them being her involvement with Rosie's Theater Kids. The non-profit, which was started by actress Rosie O'Donnell, promotes performance and arts education. In 2014, Mindy auctioned off a The Mindy Project script to raise money for the organization.
Sources: Celebs Gone Good
Demi is an advocate for several causes, but most recently and notably she has been vocal about LGBTQ rights as well as mental health and body positivity. The songstress is a spokesperson for NYC Pride Week, the face of the Americans for Marriage Equality campaign, and in 2014, embarked on a Mental Health Listening & Engagement Tour, in which she talked about her personal experiences with bipolar and eating disorders.
Sources: NYC Pride, Human Rights Campaign YouTube
YouTube sensation Tyler Oakley is a long-time supporter of The Trevor Project, a non-profit organization that focuses on providing crisis and suicide prevention for the LGBTQ youth community. By mobilizing fans and supporters to chip in and donate, Tyler raised over half a million dollars for The Trevor Project. Tyler, you are a shining light and joy to us all.
Sources: The Trevor Project
For some time now, Miley has been an advocate for homeless youth. She is a supporter of My Friend's Place, an organization that helps homeless youth build self-sustainable lives, and even used her VMA speech for Video of the Year to promote the program. Most recently, Miley launched The Happy Hippie Foundation, which helps confront injustices faced by homeless, LGBTQ and other vulnerable youth communities.
Sources: My Friend's Place, Miley Cyrus Facebook
The boys tend to bring joy to the world with their sweet songs and even sweeter smiles, but they're also heavily involved in a few very important causes. Not only are they ambassadors to Rays of Sunshine, but in 2014, the band donated �600,000 to Stand Up to Cancer by giving portions of their ticket sales revenue from the "Where We Are" tour. In 2013, they raised over �2 million for Red Nose Day (a campaign launched by Comic Relief, which incorporates humor to help people living difficult and impoverished lives) thanks to their single "One Way or Another (Teenage Kicks)."
Sources: One Direction Family, Comic Relief
As if these celebs don't inspire us already, their dedication to Helping and Leading Others makes us love them even more. We challenge YOU to learn more about one of the organizations above and share which one you've chosen in the comments!
All photo credit: Getty Images