- Posted on 10/20/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Halloween is right around the corner and decorations are going up. While its not quite time to show off that perfect costume, you can get in the holiday spirit with some spooktacular nail art! Here at TeenNick we like to rock some fancy nails and are all about sharing the sweet details!
Credit: Simply Rins
Simply Rins has simply the cutest (but still creepy) nail designs! You can make this look your own with different background colors as long as you accent the tips with an artsy arachnid. Think of it as a french manicure with an itsy-bitsy-twist.
Credit: Southern Sparkle
Ten little pairs of eyes might seem a little freaky, but Southern Sparkle unwraps the secret of nail art style! This mummy nail art is the perfect balance of eerie and trendy.
Credit: Chalkboard Nails
Halloween has some signature colors that would look perfect splattered across your nails! Over at Chalkboard Nails, the ever-creative Sarah has come up with some fabulous designs for all occasions. Try out this haunted look and dazzle your friends!
Credit: Southern Sparkle
Southern Sparkle does it again with these frighteningly fabulous designs. These ghosts won't scare anyone, but they might make a jealous passerby scream with envy. Stylish and ghoulish? That's what Halloween is all about!
Credit: One Nail to Rule Them All
A less spooky option but still filled with Halloween and autumnal spirit is One Nail to Rule Them All's precious pumpkin tips. These gorgeous gourds make a perfect shout out to the season and keep your nails looking adorable as ever! Add a little jack-o'-lantern face if you're feeling creative
When it comes to Halloween, it's all in the details. There's no limit to fancying up your claws and making your Halloween look truly out-of-this-underworld.
- Posted on 10/14/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
TeenNick Top 10 fans, it's time to get pumped. This Friday on TeenNick Top 10, we're kicking it up a notch with a fresh countdown of high-energy, mood-boosting songs that are sure to give an extra edge over the competition.
Plus, pop superstar on-the-rise Charli XCX and Top 10 favorites American Authors will swing by the TeenNick Top 10 studio!
But that's not all! We're gonna meet some awesome student athletes who tell us all about what gets them amped up to play. You won't want to miss it! Friday, 10pm ET. Be there.
- Posted on 10/13/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Credit: Getty Images
Let's face it: there's no more "easing into" the school year. The syllabi have been read, the tests have been scheduled and the studying is about to commence. We know all too well the the alluring (but oh-so dangerous) rabbit hole of internet and its ability to yank our productivity. But with these few study break ideas, you'll get the energy and reprieve you need without wasting time watching kitten videos! Check 'em out.
1. Go for a walk. Even if it's just a lap around the library, get the blood flowing. We promise, not only will you feel energized, but that great thesis statement may just pop in your head mid-step!
2. Paint your nails. So what if you're not a master manicurist? Painting your nails can be the perfect combination of a soothing and a self-pampering brain break. Step away from the small print textbook, and give your pretty paws a little love.
3. Have a snack. Trail mix and sliced apples with peanut butter are snackable gifts to the universe. Take advantage of the satisfying, stimulating, healthy snacks. Or if you're looking to reward yourself for a solid few hours of hard work, fill up your favorite mug with hot chocolate and tiny marshmallows for a perfect (almost) cold-weather treat.
4. Buy a coloring book. Don't you miss the days when your biggest concern was coloring in the lines? Take a break with this mindless, but still creative activity.
5. Have a dance party. Gather a few of your friends for a mental shakedown with your favorite energizing songs. If you need a little help finding some pump-up tunes, we've got a few TeenNick Top 10-approved suggestions for you.
What will you be doing to take a break while you study? Let us know your tips and tricks in the comments!
- Posted on 10/06/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Halloween is less than a month away and here at TeenNick, we're looking forward to the big night by throwing it back two decades. The '90s were a magical time when the only thing orange was an iguana (or soda!) and inspirational quotes came from Uncle Tito, not Instagram.
Take a dip into the archive of iconic '90s characters from All That!, Rocket Power, Rugrats, Kenan & Kel and more by playing our Vine game below! Tap on one of the images to find out who you should be on All Hallows Eve!
- Posted on 10/06/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
It's almost time for one of the great American high school traditions! Sure, Homecoming may revolve around a football game or a Homecoming King and Queen coronation at your school, but here at TeenNick Style we're all about one thing.
Can you take a wild guess?
When it comes to Homecoming dresses this year, we're thinking outside the box. Check out some of our favorite red-carpet worthy outfits to inspire your Homecoming look!
Credit: Getty Images
Can't decide whether to go high or low this year? A frock with a short skirt and sheer overlay might just be the best of both worlds. Victoria Justice topped off her skirt with a cute crop top, while Annie Clark and Supah Ninja's Gracie Dzienny went contemporary Grecian goddess in their white dresses!
Credit: Getty Images
Super-formal not your thing? Floral prints (which are totally not just for spring) take a sweet and playful spin on dressing up. Go classic like Ariana, bejeweled like Victoria or neon bright like Annie!
NOT YOUR AVERAGE HOMECOMING
Credit: Getty Images
And for a Homecoming that's anything-but-basic, try some truly alternative styles. Throw on a leather moto jacket on top of a bright mini dress or rip a page out of The Thundermans' Kira Kosarin's book and ditch the dress altogether! And finally, because fall dances sometimes require fashion and function, throw on an over-sized sweater with a pair of pumps and call it an effortless-chic day. Do you dare?
Which of these outfits would you make your own? We want to hear all about your Homecoming outfit plans, so sound off in the comments!
- Posted on 10/01/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
It's the beginning of the month, and that can only mean one thing: It's time to honor one do-gooding teen who has made a difference in a major way. Meet Zachary Mallory, an LGBTQIA advocate and our HALO Effect honoree for the month of October. Zach contributes a unique vision and drive to the gay rights fight which, although present and strong, is very much still being fought. Check out our Q&A with Zach to learn more about his awesome work!
What inspired you to become an LGBTQIA youth activist? Can you share a little bit of your story with us?
What inspired me to become an LGBTQIA Youth Activist was going to conferences and listening to stories and realizing the struggles that everyone like me goes through. I looked up statistics and found that LGBTQIA have it harder in schools. I am a advocate for Safe Schools.
What advice would you give to someone who is being bullied, but worried about speaking up?
Keep your head up and let your voice be heard. Even if you are afraid, stand up for what you believe in and what you are advocating for. Remember, it does get better and it can't rain forever.
What advice would you give to someone who wants to be an effective LGBTQ ally?
Advocate and stand up for what you believe in. Human rights are for everyone regardless who or what you are. LGBTQ allies play a extensive role in the LGBTQIA Community!
What is your greatest hope or goal for the future of the LGBTQIA community?
My greatest hope for the future of the LGBTQIA community is that we can all come together and stand as one, not as many. My hope is that we can be the generation to completely combat bullying, discrimination and harassment of LGBTQIA youth.
To learn more about Zachary, check out the clip below!
- Posted on 09/19/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Are you always looking for an excuse to play outside? Do you dominate games like Four Square and H.O.R.S.E.? Are you ready to get fired up with two football stars who know a thing or two about being active?
We are excited to announce that on Monday September 22nd at 8pm ET, NFL's The McCourty Twins will join us for a totally hyped-up Twitter Party that's all about having fun and feeling good. In partnership with Fuel Up To Play 60, Jason and Devin McCourty will take over the TeenNick Twitter to celebrate all the ways we get up, get out and get moving.
And we want to know all the ways YOU play, so join us on Twitter for a chance to win some awesome prizes! We're giving away six $100 gift cards plus an epic swag bag -- you won't want to miss out! All you have to do is follow us @TeenNick, and tweet using #HowDoYouPlaySweeps! Check out the official rules here, and get your head in the game for September 22nd!
- Posted on 09/11/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
It's the can't eat, can't sleep, can't focus in Algebra kinda stuff.
1. SCENIC ROUTE: On your way to English, you take a detour through the Physics hallway just in case your crush is at his locker, which you know is in the Physics hallway. A successful drive-by could be a huge development in your relationship.
2. DAY DREAMIN': While Mrs. Allen is going on and on about Punnett Squares, you helplessly imagine yourself boogieing down with your crush at Homecoming. After, of course, he asks you to go with him in the cutest way possible.
3. PICKING PETALS: "He Likes Me, He Likes Me Not" is played in your head constantly. And every time you lose, you grant yourself countless do-overs.
4. BUZZZ: You freak out whenever your phone vibrates, because it might be your crush. And when you realize it's just a push notification from your weather app, you legitimately feel like your phone has wronged you.
5. WAIT, HE USED HOW MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS?: Butttt if your crush does text you, you over analyze any and all punctuation they use. Because we all know "Hey" and "Hey!!" mean entirely different things.
6. QUICK, LOOK AWAY: You've mastered the art of casually, but hastily, looking away when your crush catches you staring.
7. CIA (CRUSH INTELLIGENCE AGENCY): You've sufficiently stalked your crush's social media pages to find out everything there is to know about them without, you know, talking to them.
8. BUTTERFINGERS: Except you've accidentally liked an old photo of theirs, revealing just how long you've been stalking them. And when it happens, you freak out, but you also know you were tempting fate all along.
9. WHAT A WASTE: If you wear a nice outfit to school and your crush is absent, it's all for naught. In fact, you're so bummed, you may consider outfit repeating.
10. EPIPHANY: After all the craziness is said and done, you realize that having a crush on someone is totallly normal. Even if your crush (for some silly reason) doesn't end up liking you back, just feeling these feelings means you're a human with emotion and not a cold, heartless cyborg. And if that's not a win I don't know what is.
If you want to catch more crush-related fun, tune in to TeenNick's Date Night this Friday at 9pm ET for a mini-marathon of your favorite lovey-dovey episodes of iCarly! It all leads up to the TeenNick premiere of John Tucker Must Die next week! Don't miss a beat!
- Posted on 09/05/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Credit: Andrew Zaeh
If you aren't already smitten by singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes, brace yourself. The Vine-star-turned-superstar-on-the-rise has stolen the hearts of many (in under six seconds, no less!) and is about to break out in a major way. We caught up with our brand new Fresh Artist to get exclusive details about his life on tour with Austin Mahone and The Vamps, his biggest influences, and so much more!
1. Congratulations on all of your recent success! What is a day in the life of Shawn Mendes like right now?
Wake up on a tour bus in a new city every day, find the nearest shower, head to radio station to say "Hello," grab some food, then meet some fans, then hit the stage. :-)
2. What was the inspiration behind your hit song "Life of the Party"?
The song is inspired by the feeling of not fitting in or not being comfortable with who you are. The lyrics basically say that you should be yourself and that you can be amazing regardless of whether you feel you fit in or not.
3. What's it like being on tour with TeenNick faves Austin Mahone and the Vamps? Has anything crazy or funny happened during your time together?
It's awesome and everyone is just so chill and relaxed and having a good time. We're always cracking jokes with each other behind stage. I'd say the craziest moment was getting chased by 400 fans at one of the first shows.
4. When you started recording covers on Vine and YouTube, did you ever think your music would spread as much as it has?
I really didn't think it would, I kind of just started doing it because I loved posting covers and then it just spiraled into this crazy thing as I kept posting. It's really beyond my expectations.
5. What do you think about the power of connecting with people in a six-second video?
It's so cool because in six seconds you have to really find something special in a song and impress people a lot to connect with them. I think that's been a big thing for me and my fans connecting.
6. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Definitely Ed Sheeran, Justin Timberlake, just how he holds himself and such, and Bruno Mars is such an unbelievable performer.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked Shawn a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of Shawn, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in tonight at 10pm ET!
- Posted on 09/04/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
TeenNick fans, it's time to get gussied up! This Friday on TeenNick Top 10, it's Date Night! We're all about celebrating the power of twos this week, so it only seemed right and good and noble to feature a fresh new countdown of songs performed in, you guessed it, dynamic duets!
We won't spoil all the details now, but get ready for a major musical match-ups that you maybe didn't see coming.
Plus, R&B crooner Jacob Latimore and "All About That Bass" singer Meghan Trainor will swing by the TeenNick Top 10 studio!
And our brand-new Fresh Artist, Shawn Mendes, will make a heart-stopping appearance to talk about his inspiring hit "Life of the Party" and upcoming EP! We know, we're giving you a lot of awesomeness to digest.
...But there's more! Tomorrow at 9pm ET, check out the best dating-themed episodes of iCarly before watching TeenNick Top 10 at 10 pm ET.
It's time to brush up on the do's and don'ts of dating, and we've got you covered.