Blog | Dance Academy
I have to say, I find this scene more romantic, warm, sweet, and loving than any kiss scene. It's just... it's one of THOSE hugs. One of those hugs when you know you just got really, truly closer to a person, by either really allowing yourself to be emotionally vulnerable to them, or by being there for someone who was vulnerable to you.
Have you ever had one of those hugs?
E-Clare's relationship makes me really, really happy.
SPOILLLLLLLARRRSSS inside so don't click 'til you've watched the ep here it is if you need it.) Everyone who's all watched up... let's talk:
* You know, Drew definitely did not do right by Alli at Vegas night, but... I've got to hand it to him for being a pretty great brother. I remember when he first came on and was giving Riley static, it seemed like he was going to be a certain kind of dude, but I guess we know now that he's definitely more complex than that. What's your take on him?
* When you think about what really had to be going on in Eli's room -- I mean, when someone's a hoarder, it's not just piles of paper and clothes we're talking about, it's like... food wrappers -- could you be as awesome a gf/bf as Clare was to him? I feel like she showed him some seriously mature amounts of unconditional love in this episode, and it warmed my fuzzies. Was anyone out there too grossed out to get over it?
* Wesley is a nice, nice person. Wesley... you are REALLY nice. Do you guys think Dave deserves the niceness Wes showed him tonight? Would you have been Wes-like in those circumstances?
Here's all the song cues I could find from tonight's new episodes...
- "Castling" by The Narrative
- "Break" by Crown City Rockers -- you can hear samples of both songs over on the Gigantic page
- "Tonight I Love You" by The Latency -- you can hear a sample of this song over on the Degrassi page.
- "Daydreaming" by Nat Jay
- "Done for the Day" by Ryan Wotherspoon
- Posted on 11/04/2010 by Mary
Here's a sneak peek at the first scene of Friday night's brand new Degrassi episode.
I'm keeping my commentary on lockdown for now except to say that I LOVE tomorrow's episode, especially... there's this one scene... which we will talk about after tomorrow night. OK. Shutting up now.
- Posted on 11/04/2010 by Mary
I chatted with Ryan Rottman -- Joey on Gigantic -- recently, and picked his brain about his real-life paparazzi type experiences. For the record: he's super nice, talks really fast but low-key at the same time, and was hanging out in Atlantic City when we spoke.
So are there really people like Vanessa who call the paparazzi and tell them to be places?
Oh, 100%. That definitely happens. Whether it's people's publicists that are just trying to get their face out there or just, Hollywood is full of people that just want to be famous. They want to see their face on a magazine or on TMZ.
Do they ever really call the paparazzi and then when the photographers show up, pretend to be annoyed?
Oh for sure. They'll call them and completely act annoyed, and, "Oh I can't believe they're here," and be rude to the paparazzi, because they don't want anyone to know that they [called them]. They'll totally play aloof. It happens probably more often than you think it does.
But there are also people who just genuinely get attacked by the paparazzi, right?
Yeah. If you're a huge star, they all follow you. And if you're going somewhere, they'll show up, and then if someone else shows up and the paparazzi are already there, they'll get their picture, too. But if it's not a massive star, the paparazzi are probably not just following them. They probably called.
So, among the Gigantic cast you're the one who, if I search on your name, these alleged details about your private life show up...
What does that feel like? Is it ever flattering to think that people care about your personal life, or is it stressful, do you ignore it... how do you deal?
I kinda do my best not to pay any attention to it and not to follow that whole thing. But of course, you see it certain places or you hear about it so, you want to know what people are saying about you. You do have to pay attention to it.
But it's just weird. It's weird that people care enough to take pictures or write about you, or just care what you're doing, or whether you're in a relationship. And seeing a picture of yourself walking out of some place like a Ralph's grocery store -- it's really strange.
Have you ever seen pictures of yourself that you didn't know were being taken?
Oh yeah. 100%. They hide everywhere, and they're across the street -- you never see them. And then two days later, you see it online. It's awkward. You kinda feel like you're being stalked.
Yeah! I would feel so violated! And it's just that you don't have the same right to privacy that everyone else has because... you're an actor?
Yeah. And most of the time it's not me, it's the company I keep. When I hang out with friends who are very successful actors and stuff like that, it's very uncomfortable because [the photographers] are in your face and they're behind your car. And you just feel violated. It's like someone breaking into your car or your house, that feeling you get afterwards when you know someone's been in there. Just a very uncomfortable feeling.
I can imagine also that if you're known as a couple and then go through a breakup -- if people are talking about it in gossip columns, that's gonna make it feel even worse right?
Oh for sure. Whether you're with someone or you're not with someone, the last thing you want is to read or see someone talking about your relationship. It's none of their business whatsoever.
Right. It's sort of one of Gigantic's themes, how Hollywood is basically high school amplified -- so people can imagine that in high school you don't want people talking on Facebook about your relationship. It hurts no matter what.
Exactly, it would be like a blog in high school talking about everyone in the school.
Do you feel like the public has any responsibility to not read that stuff because it is damaging to real human beings? Can anything be done?
At this point, in our technological era, I don't think anything can be done. People are gonna read it; everyone wants to be outside of their own life.
So, you have a production company, right?
Yeah, we actually just finalized our next project which is James Franco's next film. It's called The Broken Tower; it's about a gay professor at Yale, one of the first to come out. Actually I have a small part in it as well, and James is directing it and starring in it. With our company, we set out to make movies that have substance... There are these amazing scripts in town that aren't getting made, so we wanted to make it our goal to find these scripts, these projects that are inspiring and that have meaning to them and get those made.
Plus it must be an actor's dream to be able to produce films you would actually want to be in.
Yeah, and we know James well and that's why we teamed up with him, because that's exactly how it is. He wants to make projects that have some meaning behind them; he's about the art and telling the story, and that's what I kind of idolize and strive for.
- Posted on 11/03/2010 by Mary
Here is a picture of something that will happen on this Friday's Degrassi.
Oh, and look! Another picture of a thing. A Degrassi thing.
I sure do hope you watch this Friday at 9p et so you'll know that sooo much more happens that I can't tell you about because ruining surprises is no fun for anyone! I sure, sure do.
- Posted on 10/30/2010 by Mary
Happy Hallo-weekend! Here's a plastic jack-o-lantern's worth of behind the scenes snapshots from Degrassi's Monster Moon shoot. Also, fyi, you can click here to watch all four Monster Moon minis crammed into one.
Two more vids are coming (they're on TV during the 9pm Degrassi airings, and then online afterwards).
Oh and check out this cute li'l pic of Munro and Aislinn behind the scenes at the shoot. Awww/ewww.
- Posted on 10/30/2010 by Mary
Technically she's just their dad's girlfriend and not their stepmother but still... would YOU want this person living in your house?
- Posted on 10/29/2010 by Mary
1) I've seen people calling them Fadam, but what about Fionadam? Nah, I guess Fadam is better.
2) I know that when the episodes about Adam being transgender first aired, some of you had questions about whether that means he's straight or gay, so I just wanted to clear up: Adam is straight. He's a guy who likes girls. But, if you're wondering, there are also female-to-male transgender guys who are gay -- they like guys.
3) Do you think Fiona can handle Adam's different-ness? (I guess Fiona's got different-ness of her own, doesn't she? I guess we all do.)
- Posted on 10/29/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW; watch the ep now if you haven't already. Then let's talk....
1) It was so hard to watch Clare ask questions like "Why do I have to suffer because they fell out of love?" -- questions that really just don't have any good answer. Did anyone out there with divorced parents feel pangs of recognition watching Clare go through this? What would you tell her if you could talk to her right now?
2) So very pleased to meet you, Bullfrog and Cece! Are Eli's parents anything like you expected? Also, would you freak out if you found out your bf/gf's ex used to live with them? Like in their room?
3) Clare and Eli are very different... do you think they're different in good ways, or ways that will pull them apart at some point?
4) Wow. Adam and Fiona on the steps... that was definitely some bonding going on. Who do you think makes a better boyfriend for Fiona, Drew or Adam?
5) So, Dave and Wesley. On the one hand... dude, Dave and Alli have so much in common, it's really a wonder they didn't end up together. Why can't people appreciate the friends they have rather than wanting "cooler" ones? On the OTHER hand... you know, Dave has some interests that Wes doesn't. It seems natural that he'd want some other friends, too. I guess the problem is when he tries to replace one with the other, instead of having lots of friends. What did you think of the Dave/Wes dynamic tonight?