Blog | Dance Academy
- Posted on 10/25/2010 by Mary
Clare's family breakdown just gets more and more real...
Does Adam have a prayer with Fiona?
And what's going on with Dave?
- Posted on 10/25/2010 by Lisa
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Mary
In my opinion, this might be one of the best conversations ever on Degrassi, in terms of the questions it raises. Let's break it down piece by piece. What could Declan and Holly J each have done differently to prevent the emotional fallout they both suffered?
Holly J: I didn't want to. I told you that.
Declan: I thought that was because of Sav.
Holly J: Does it matter why?? You didn't listen. You insisted.
When things started, Holly J said no. Declan could have prevented all of this from happening if he had listened to her and believed her, instead of trying to evaluate her reasons for saying no and trying to change her mind. Why be with someone who doesn't completely, unequivocally want to be with you in that moment?
Declan could and should have backed off in that moment. He had a choice to back off, and it would have been an infinitely better choice. Personally, I have to say I'm really angry at him for not backing off.
But he didn't, and then we come to the next point:
Declan: Yeah, but then you kissed me. I thought you changed your mind. Holly J: Maybe I did. I was confused. I'm not saying it was all your fault.
After Declan made his choice, Holly J had a choice about her next move, too. Instead of repeating herself unequivocally or attempting to physically remove herself from the situation, she decided to go forward even though she was unsure. And confusion is a terrible state to be in when you do the most intimate and vulnerable thing you can do with your body. Because the conflicted feeling doesn't go away. And that's a horrible way to feel after the fact, when you can't un-do things.
Holly J should have listened to her confusion, and stuck with her conviction of "no," rather than giving conflicting information to Declan. She could have prevented this from happening, too (assuming Declan wouldn't have forced her -- which I don't think he would have, do you?)
Both of them messed up. And both of them are left feeling horrible.
Anyway I've seen a lot of conversation about this episode talking about the question of rape, and a lot of conflicting ideas about what is and what isn't. Here's some information I've found incredibly helpful: RAINN's (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) information page describing what rape and sexual assault are, in easy to understand language.
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW. Watch the episode first, here. Then, let's talk.
1) Declan and Holly J... I'm gonna talk about this more in a separate blog. But what are your thoughts on the episode?
2) Holly J regrets what happened. And I'm sure now that he knows Holly J regrets it, Declan regrets it, too. So, a regrettable situation for all involved. What do you think each of them could and should have done to prevent this from happening?
3) Clare and Eli... as much as it was difficult to watch Clare being so smug at that dinner with her parents, especially since she was hurting Eli, I still felt compassion for her because of what she's going through. How did you feel about Clare during that scene?
4) What did you think of Bizarro-Clare's temporary look? What if she just started dressing like that all the time from now on?
- Posted on 10/21/2010 by Lisa
What's going on with Holly J and Declan? Watch the first scene of "Love Lockdown, pt. 2" right now and don't miss tomorrow night's episode. (Seriously, do NOT miss this one.)
- Posted on 10/19/2010 by Mary
Sneak peek pics of what's to come on this Friday's Degrassi! Check 'em out...
So... what exactly happened last Friday between Declan and Holly J... and what will it mean for each of them?
And looks like Eli's not sure if Clare is still the same girl he fell for...
- Posted on 10/15/2010 by Mary
Ummm. So... well, first SPOILERS BELOW if you haven't watched Love Lockdown pt. 1 yet. (It'll be online soon, don't worry.) Everyone else:
1) What just happened with Holly J and Declan? What are your thoughts? I was gripping the sides of my chair and just... upset but confused and flabbergasted and confused and upset. I don't think Declan is an evil person -- at ALL -- but that really, really upset me, personally. What was your reaction to that last scene?
2) Oh God. What about Sav? Ohhh man.
3) Did you see that glint in Clare's eye when she realized her parents were united in opposition to her piercing? Ruh roh...
4) Here's how we know Eli truly, truly cares for Clare: he's worried her parents won't like him. What's the opposite of a red flag, a green flag? Well then that right there is what we call a new boyfriend green flag. Eli... your perfection is simply intoxicating.
5) Haha, as much as I felt bad for Chantay fighting the good fight to save a Spirit Squad no one else seems to care about... I probably would have felt pretty meh if the cheerleading squad (if you could call it that) got disbanded in high school. What clubs would you fight to save if Simpson shut them down?
- Posted on 10/14/2010 by Mary
Look who's back... and he seems just EVER-so-delighted that Holly J is dating Sav.
And someone else is back toooooo....
Or come watch the first scene!
- Posted on 10/14/2010 by Mary
At 4pm et today, President Obama will be having a live Town Hall -- with YOU. Is there anything you want to say to him? Anything you want to ask? Whether it's about the economy, Afghanistan, the environment, gay rights, health care, college money, your school and your teachers, bullying... whatever's on your mind, we want to know about it. And MTV News wants to let President Obama know, too.
You can tweet questions and comments for the event NOW -- click here to check out MTV's Twitter Tracker, and tweet your own questions using hashtags like these:
Or make up your own #ask hashtag...
MTV will also be looking at tweets with #mygreatesthope and #mygreatestfear ... so you can let the president know what's on your mind.
We'll see you there.
- Posted on 10/11/2010 by Lisa
I did lots of important cute boy research in order to bring you an updated version of the Degrassi crush quiz. Have you taken it yet?
My current Degrassi crush is:
Wesley? Well, he's cute, smart, he's into robots, he's a musician... Oh, and remember the rap he and Connor did in the caf when they were trying to get Dave elected? I love any guy who's willing to act that dorky in public. Maybe I DO sort of have a crush on Wesley. I learned something new about myself today.