Blog | Dance Academy
- Posted on 07/23/2010 by Mary
Wait can we talk about Clare's most badassest moment evar from tonight's Degrassi? First, let's relive the magic by watching it again, and again, and again.
Now. How badass was that? Let me count the ways:
1) My hand to God, when she said "Neither am I Jenna...", I thought she was gonna say "Jackass." But not Clare! Clare is too classy for that! That is how badass she is... she told someone off thoroughly without using ANY BAD WORDS!
2) "If I wanted KC back, I wouldn't need fake boobs to get him." Ooooooooh, burn Jenna!
3) "They can think what they want." DEAR WORLD: CLARE EDWARDS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO PROVE TO ANYONE. TEAM CLARE! TEAM CLARE!
- Posted on 07/22/2010 by Mary
Poor Holly J! Boyfriend in another country; Yale pulled out from under her; and now she loses the presidency? Well, perhaps she's taking some comfort in the fact that she seems to have won the election in the comments yesterday...
Anyway. JENNA, anyone? 'Cause, don't get me started.
Oh and as for tomorrow night's brand new episode (can you believe this is really happening? We REALLY are getting this many new episodes??)...
Guess who you're gonna meeeeet....
- Posted on 07/21/2010 by Lisa
Tonight's OMG Moment made my shoulders squinch up. Check it out to see where things stand between Fiona and Bobby, and watch Degrassi: The Boiling Point tomorrow @ 9pm et to see what happens next.
- Posted on 07/21/2010 by Lisa
So, Anya and Sav are back together. That's nice for her, kinda bad for him (since it's based on a lie), and very confusing for Holly J.
Thursday @ 9pm on Degrassi: The Boiling Point, it's election day. Will the pregnancy rumors hurt Sav's chances of winning? Holly J seems desperate to take him down, but how far is she willing to go? Before the votes are cast, I've got a couple of questions for you:
1. Who'd get your vote for student body president?
2. Who would you vote for in a "best election T-shirt" contest? (I like them both, but I think I'd actually wear the Holly J one around.)
- Posted on 07/20/2010 by Mary
Whoa... Fiona kind of lost it in the movie tonight, right? Orrr, maybe lost it is a VAST understatement. Do you guys think spending the summer with her mom will get her back on track?
'Cause from the looks of things... things might get worse for Fiona before they get better.
- Posted on 07/20/2010 by Lisa
I've been watching the results of today's TeenNick poll, and it seems like the world is pretty evenly divided between people who are happy Spinner and Emma got together, and people who think they're a terrible match. Check out these photos from their wedding day (and this video, if you haven't seen it!) and sigh or cringe as you see fit.
No matter what you think of them as a couple, don't you just love beachy outdoor weddings? Yay for standing barefoot in the sand with someone you love. :)
- Posted on 07/20/2010 by Lisa
After tonight's Degrassi, I'm torn between never wanting to see Bobby again, and wanting to see him pay for what he did. Nobody deserves to be treated like that.
Until the next new episode airs, I'm going to distract myself with this photo of Degrassi's latest musical act:
Random thought: Drake started out on Degrassi... and look where he is now. Maybe this means Wesley and Connor have hugely successful rap careers in their future? Tune in Wednesday @ 9pm to see them in action.
- Posted on 07/18/2010 by Mary
You guys... long story but basically we did this "Five" Questions with Charlotte back at the end of the last season but it came in too late to post, so I was holding it 'til now. But I was in too much of a rush at the time to write which usernames asked which questions, and now the thread is gone. So -- my sincerest apologies to the users who posted these questions and aren't getting credit! I suck! I'm sorry! I'll do better next time!
As an apology, here is an awesome screenshot of Charlotte in the Degrassi movie that's airing TOMORROW NIGHT at 9p et! Sorry that it totally gives away the entire plot to the whole movie, I just couldn't resist.
What was the first rock show/concert you ever went to, and what was the BEST rock show/concert you ever went to?
The first ever concert I went to was the BACKSTREET BOYS (who Melinda just bought tickets to see, by the way.) The BEST concert I ever went to was a Leonard Cohen show, although I've had a wicked time seeing The Police, Bob Dylan, Down With Webster, Lady Gaga (soon to be thrice!) and of course, Drake.
When you doodle, what do you draw?
I've always loved designing clothes when I doodle...when I'm not so inspired, it's usually hearts, stars, lightning bolts, the usual.
What is the latest movie you've seen? (And what did you think of it?)
The last great movie I saw was called Class of 1984. Campy, punky Toronto-shot, teacher vs. hooligans, revenge story -- I loved it.
What was the funniest thing you've witnessed on set?
There's always a ton of laughter on the Degrassi set, but what springs to mind is the last day of shooting season nine when two unnamed but exceptionally rowdy cast members flipped the pool table. I walked in and saw them standing there sheepishly with their heads down and tails between their legs, debris everywhere. Unbelievable.
Do you go to a real school? if so is it like Degrassi?
I've gone to a real school my whole life! I know it may seem that Canadian schools must be incredibly dramatic but to be honest, my high school experience was pretty chill. There were those crazy moments for sure but unlike Degrassi they didn't all happen to the same ten people. Pickering High, Go Trojans.
Who is your best friend on set?
I love hanging out with Annie, Paula and Landon - the New York movie was a blast to shoot. And I know it sounds corny and unrealistic but we reeeeally lucked out in the cast department, so no matter who's on set, you're bound to have a good time. The fact that we get to take life-changing adventures together (Kenya, Ecuador, India this summer!) brings everyone even closer.
Did you originally audition for the character that you play?
I auditioned for Emma and Liberty before HJ. Interesting to imagine.
What do you think of Landon Liborion? In person is he nice and sweet or more similar to his character on Degrassi?
I'm not a fan. His quick wit, goofy up-for-anything attitude and piercing eyes make me want to throw up.
- Posted on 07/17/2010 by Lisa
I love NYC. I love Degrassi. Will I like it when they get together? I hope so.
This photo makes me wonder:
...if it's weird for Holly J that Jane and Declan used to hook up. If I were in Holly J's shoes, no matter how hard I tried to be cool with it, I'm not sure I'd want them hanging out together. Do you think Jane and Declan are really over each other?
...why Pennsylvania Station is located in NYC. Oh, never mind. I Googled, and apparently it's named after Pennsylvania Railroad, the company that built the station. So that makes sense.
...if Paula, Charlotte, and Landon were freezing their butts off. They're in summer clothes, but all the people in the background are wearing winter coats -- which tells you when this was shot. (Poor Charlotte with her naked legs!)
...what you're doing this weekend to prepare for all the Degrassi coming next week? I say, get your chores out of the way now. You DO NOT want distractions while Degrassi's on.
- Posted on 07/16/2010 by Mary
Just a few more short little days until Degrassi: Now or Never takes over your summer nights! Are you prepared for the all-consuming madness? I think I am. I think I can take it. I'm trying to up my cardio just in case.
I went to the Degrassi set last week -- my first time! In nine years of writing about the show for this site! Here are some of the pics I managed to get my first day... I had a ton of other pics planned for the following day but spent it doubled over in pain in a hotel room instead (kidney stone, yay). Bummer = understatement of the century. Anyway, the first day was awesome enough for two:
L: New boy! Justin Kelly, who plays Jake -- you'll meet him Tuesday night. He's a doll. Here, he pulls on a pre-tied tie because he couldn't quite get the knot done himself. R: @jbdegrassifan95 and @LongLiveEclare tweet-requested pics of Munro and Aislinn together... here you go :)
Stefan Brogren (aka Mr. Simpson and the director of tons of your favorite episodes) was directing the eps they shot while I was there; it seemed like a remarkably calm and fun affair considering how much they need to get done every day in order to make sooo many episodes for the summer -- it could so easily be a stress factory. Stefan called me The-Mary, which killed me, and he saved me a nice seat right in front of the monitors which I was too shy to actually take up for too long, and I can vouch that he is in fact a righteous homeboy, as his office nameplate attests.
This is the Degrassi read-through room, where the actors first go through the new scripts together. And on the table is Panther, one of two cats wandering the office-y side of Epitome. Panther clearly feels that he deserves some time in front of the camera, and he is not wrong. The other cat, named Noggin, was more camera-shy.
@iTweetDegrassi tweet-dared me to go around the set posing like Munro in his Free the Children Haiti fundraiser video. Instead I got him to personally instruct me in the ways of the sassy lean and stare -- we're in Fiona's condo there, btw. Sorry about the quality -- so bummed that I didn't use my real camera for this one.
Last Christmas' Degrassi poster, personally desecrated by the cast in the Sunshine Lounge (which is the room that the cast hang in when they're not needed on set).
At one point I walked past the Sunshine Lounge and saw Ray Ablack full-on sunshine-lounging on the pool table, texting. In a tux. Totes regular times.
That's Aislinn Paul and Shannon Kook-Chun checking out Shannon's DSLR and talking about its tech specs, as they are both admitted full-on photo geeks.
Some other random observations:
- To those who don't already know: Shannon Kook-Chun (Zane) has a South African accent in real life. It's mesmerizing.
- Munro and Aislinn (Eli and Clare) both rock Birkenstocks IRL. I support this wholeheartedly, and I felt very vindicated about the time I put Birks in a Thing Du Jour and people thought they were lamerz. Triumph!
- Luke Bilyk and Alicia Josopovic (Drew and Bianca) have an almost supernatural simultaneous laugh thing going on -- they laugh the exact same way, at the same things, and at the exact same rate so it's literally like two voices doing the same laugh. They even switch speeds at the same time, like they move from "Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!" to "HAHAHAHA!" at the same time. Occasionally there are snorts. Great minds laugh alike. Also, they referred to themselves as "Danca" rather than "Drianca" -- controversy!
- The lockers are all fully "dressed" on the inside (as in all look like a real student's locker inside, with pics and contents), but there's no particular locker that's always "Alli's locker" or "Adam's locker" -- they stand by whichever one works best for the shot they need. And the doors are compressed wood rather than metal -- quieter.
- There is gum on the bottom of the desks in Ms. Dawes' classroom. Most likely from students who used to get bored to death at them in a real school. Just think: those students had no idea that their desks were destined to end up under Munro Chambers' butt. What noble and unpredictable fate might your school desks have?