Blog | Dance Academy
- Posted on 12/02/2010 by Mary
He grew up mostly in Haiti before moving to Miami, but in so many ways Herold Charles is a typical American high school senior: glued to his cell phone, into Michael Jackson, talks a mile a minute. And there's something else about him that I think any of us can relate to: before January's earthquake, he knew Haiti needed help but... he just didn't know how he could be that help.
But when disaster struck, he found a power in himself that he didn't know he had. And with it, he reunited families and literally helped save lives.
Remember at the beginning of this year, when a 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti, how terrible we all felt? So many of us cried at the images we saw; we donated what we could to organizations providing aid and wondered aloud, "What can we do?" I remember generally feeling kind of helpless about it all.
But imagine how you would have felt if you were far from your home, and you turned on the TV and saw those images of devastation... and realized that was your home? What if your family were there, in Haiti -- with millions homeless and 200,000 dead -- and you couldn't contact them?
Next Friday, December 10 at 8p et when the 2010 TeenNick HALO Awards air, you'll learn about how Herold lived through that nightmare. What happened next will inspire you, touch your heart... probably make you cry again... and above all, will help you realize that yes, you really CAN make a difference.
- Posted on 12/01/2010 by Mary
Did you see the little bite-size Malcolm In the Middle scenes over on the Malcolm showpage? For instance this one...
- Posted on 11/30/2010 by Chairman Nick Cannon
By now maybe you heard about our How Do You HALO Sweepstakes. You can get all the details about it and enter to win over here.
I love this sweepstakes for two big reasons. The first is that I'm looking forward to reading all of your tweets about how YOU Help And Lead Others, and all the big and small things you're doing in your own life to make the world a better place. Just looking at some of the first entries now, I'm finding out about all the recycling clubs you're members of, the animal shelters you're volunteering at, and the wonderful organizations you support. I feel so good about the world's future just hearing from all of you.
And the second big reason is that I think the grand prize is truly priceless. This trip that the winner and his or her friends are going to take... it's a journey that I really do believe will be life-changing.
Doing service like this in a place where it's desperately needed can't help but give you a new perspective on the blessings of your life. The feeling in the winner's heart after this trip... it's better than any money or limo or anything. It's the light. And to experience that light alongside cast members from Degrassi... y'all are going to bond. It's going to be for real.
We can all get a glimpse of that light when the 2010 TeenNick HALO Awards airs on December 10 at 8pm et. See you then.
Keep it locked,
- Posted on 11/29/2010 by Mary
I'm reading about the 2010 TeenNick HALO Award honorees and am totally in awe of what they're doing with their time and energy... working to heal the broken foster care system, keeping attention flowing toward Haiti, running a pageant for girls with disabilities, and fighting for the human rights of child slaves.
When I read about them, the second thing that pops into my head (the first being: "I need a tissue and I want to hug that person") is: "Where do they find the time? And the energy? To be doing normal school loads AND finding time for all those meetings and phone calls and effort?" Because I think we all care about improving the world; when we hear the stories of people who need help we all want to help...
But the thing I loved about the HALO Awards last year is how, once you see the whole show and really get to know the honorees, you realize they're really not that different from you or me. They're not superhuman -- they're just somehow getting it done.
I think all of us have the potential -- you know how sometimes you're doing something you love and it just puts you in the zone? And you have all of this attention for it and time for it because it feeds your soul in some way?
I think if we're lucky, we can all find our calling, like the HALO honorees did. The thing that feeds our soul so much, that spending lots of time on it doesn't seem to be a big deal.
- Posted on 11/29/2010 by Lisa
Do you know Spinner's real first name? The name of the strip club where Alex worked? What Peter can say in Swahili? Who Gerry Halliwell is? The name of the song Fiona sang (badly) when she auditioned for the Degrassi musical?
That sort of random Degrassi knowledge will get you far in our newly-updated Degrassi trivia quiz. Each time you take the quiz, you'll get ten questions, but if you come back and take it again later, you'll get a different batch. The quiz pulls from all 10 season of Degrassi, so all that time you spent watching re-runs will finally come in handy.
Test your Degrassi trivia skills RIGHT HERE.
- Posted on 11/27/2010 by Mary
Each of the brother-figures currently starring on Degrassi -- Sav, Declan, Adam, and Drew -- get high marks on their brotherly qualities like support, loyalty, protectiveness, and forgiveness.
Which of them do you think takes the title for Best Degrassi Brother though?
- Posted on 11/26/2010 by Mary
It's the Thanks, Bro Marathon weekend on TeenNick -- and thankfully, you don't need a male sibling to enjoy watching a glut of Drake & Josh or Malcolm in the Middle. But you do need a male sibling to answer this questionnaire...
It's just for kicks; put your answers in the comments.
1) How many brothers do you have -- and are they older, a lot older, younger, or a lot younger?
2) Would you go to your brother(s) for dating advice?
3) Would you go to your brother(s) for advice on dealing with your parents?
4) What are your brother(s)' favorite bands?
5) Have you ever caught your brother(s) dancing alone in his/their room(s)?
6) Do you like your brother(s)'s friends?
7) Do you have crushes on any of your brother(s)' friends?
8) What's the nicest, kindest, most considerate thing your brother(s) ever did for you?
9) What do you think your brother(s) should be when they grow up?
10) How would you rate your brother(s) hygiene?
11) If your brother(s) were arguing with your parents, would you take his/their side?
12) Would you lend your brother(s) money? Up to what amount?
13) If you could only spend one day with your brother(s) before aliens came to whisk you off to separate planets, what would you spend that day doing?
14) What about your brother(s) makes you jealous?
15) What about your brother(s) makes you thankful for him/them?
- Posted on 11/25/2010 by Lisa
May your day be full of eating and thanking and family togetherness... even if your family's as crazy as Malcolm's.
- Posted on 11/23/2010 by Mary
Aaugh! I was so excited about there being an Iron & Wine song in the Degrassi fall finale that I went into a coma and forgot to post this! Thank goodness Obsessive8 reminded me -- she was as psyched as I was about Iron & Wine. Anyhoodles, here are the songs from Friday's eps!
- "Sweet Mistake " by Adrianne
- "Impact" by And Then There Were Two
- "Infatuated" by Laila
You can hear samples of all three songs over on the Gigantic page.
- "Passing Afternoon " by Iron & Wine -- the song from the final scene at the party; you can hear a sample over on the Degrassi page. It's basically one of the most perfect songs e'er writ.
- "Hummingbird" by Imaginary Cities
- "Still Believe in Love" by Jacksoul
- "Burnin' Down Barns" by Ridley Bent
- "Keep On Movin'" by The Young Goulets
- "Red Lights" by Fantasy Defender
- "Psychic Kids" by We Are Wolves
- "Whitehorse (instrumental)" performed by Ray Ablack and Jessica Tyler (Sav and Jenna)
- Posted on 11/21/2010 by Lisa
The most important parts of Thanksgiving are eating dinner and feeling grateful, and we've got quizzes to prepare you for both.
Before you load up your plate on Thursday, take the Which Thanksgiving Food Are You? quiz. It just told me I'm cranberry sauce.
Do you appreciate all the good things in your life... or do you tend to take them for granted? The How Grateful Are You? quiz will help you figure it out. I just took it and got:
I guess that's accurate, because right now I'm grateful for my "so grateful" badge. Happy Thanksgiving week, everybody!