Blog | Dance Academy
- Posted on 04/15/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS UNDERNEATH ME! Click here to watch Part 1 of Degrassi: In Too Deep "Drop the World", but if you're all watched up... let's talk about break-ups, bylines, the relativity of weirdness, and school dances.
Eli Goldsworthy is not amused.
1) Cast your votes. School dances, balloons, and banal top 40: "trivial" per Eli, or "fun" per Clare?
2) So, the things Eli was doing at the top of the episode... like giving Clare a byline on "Stalker Angel" without asking her, asking her mom for permission to take her to the goth lit con before confirming Clare wants to go... I've noticed that some people think he was being weird and pushy and overstepping his bounds, and others think he was being sweet and romantic. I can see how those actions can play out either way, mostly depending on the general vibe Clare was feeling toward him at the moment. I wonder: before the shotgun scene, did you think Eli was being creepy or sweet, AND, before this episode were you a member of the Eli Goldsworthy Estrogen Army or... not that into him?
3) I'm pretty worried about Eli at this point. You? And what do you think Clare should do about it all?
4) Sally J! Over! Who else is mourning this? I'm genuinely bummed. I liked her better with Sav than with Declan... (I'm on Team "I Think Declan Is Kind of Self-Centered and I'm Still Pissed about What Happened When He Came Back for the Drama Awards"). Are you pro-Sav, pro-Declan, or pro-Holly J just on her own, doing her own thing?
5) Dude, break-ups are the worst. For the dumpee and the dumper both. The way Holly J tried to kamikaze the relationship to avoid having to dump him... so human. Have you ever been dumped or dumped someone? How'd you handle it?
- Posted on 04/14/2011 by Mary
OK. Here's one of the many things I find interesting about this scene. Aside from Eli's intensity and Clare's starting to feel a little... smothered-y...
If Eli were dating someone other than Clare, I can easily see a less self-assured girlfriend being like, "Oh uh, OK, I guess we'll do your version of life and I'll skip the dance that I actually kind of wanted to go to because you think it's trivial. Maybe you're right? Maybe balloons are banal? I don't know."
But then again... I can't see Eli dating that kind of girl anyway. The reason he likes Clare is the same reason she's able to say, "If you're not interested, don't come."
How about you... are you comfortable standing up for the things you want to do, even when your friends or bf/gfs make fun of them?
- Posted on 04/13/2011 by Lisa
How much can three Degrassi quizzes teach me about myself? Hmm. Let's see.
I took the Degrassi-inspired "Are You Falling Out of Love?" quiz and found out that I'm NOT falling out of love! Yay for love.
Then I took the "Which Degrassi Dork Are You?" quiz and found out that I'm Clare. Yay for Clare!
That's when things got a little weird... I took the "Who's Your Degrassi Girl Crush?" quiz, and found out that I have a girl crush on Clare. Wait -- the last quiz told me I am Clare. Does that mean I have a girl crush on myself? (If so, I prefer to think of it as self-confidence.)
Have you taken these quizzes? What did you get?
- Posted on 04/13/2011 by Mary
Between shooting Degrassi and going to school, does Aislinn have any time to... you know... date? TeenNick asked her behind the scenes at her photo shoot:
I know Aislinn has a packed Degrassi shooting schedule, plus school, plus dance classes, plus active twitter maintenance, plus somehow found time to hand-paint stripes on her bedroom walls... but she seems like she's holding it all together. It probably helps that she loves all of those things.
Anyone out there feel like you're too overscheduled to have a social life? Unload in the comments...
- Posted on 04/12/2011 by Mary
"Why do you even like me?" - ???
Which Degrassian is fishing for compliments... or ARE they fishing for compliments? We'll find out the whole context on Friday, but until then, we can always shoot our mouths off in the comments.
- Posted on 04/11/2011 by Mary
Eli Goldsworthy hanging out on Morty's hood in Degrassi: In Too Deep, Drop the World pt. 1
Only two more episodes left in Degrassi: In Too Deep... Drop the World, pts. 1 & 2. And they're both MAJOR.
Are you ready to find out what happens? What are your predictions?
- Posted on 04/10/2011 by Mary
I suppose turning the other cheek when randos come up and hurl insults at you is part of the job of being Hollywood Royalty. Which makes it sound like one of the worst jobs ever. Looks like this week, the Moores and Katins were a li'l tired of cheek-turning.
Highlights of this scene:
- Getting to see Finn (attempt to) throw a punch.
- Piper's elegantly laissez faire approach to fisticuffs.
- And Joey the peacemaker completely losing his cool.
Have you ever been in the middle of a huge fight breaking out? Tell us the story in the comments!
- Posted on 04/09/2011 by Lisa
Fiona skips French class to have a heart-to-heart with Holly J.
Fiona seems nervous to tell Holly J she likes girls, but Holly J takes it all in stride.
Have any of your friends come out to you? How'd it go? Were you surprised -- or was it just another friendly conversation, like this one?
- Posted on 04/08/2011 by Mary
Tons of great info on all of this week's Degrassi songs from their music supervisor! Check it out... (his quotes in italics).
"Mary The Inventor " by Ash Koley
From the standardized test scene.
Check the Degrassi page for a sample.
"This scene went through many songs before we nailed this one. There were budget issues, tempo issues, vibe issues, nothing was working until Ash Koley graced our minds once more, and solved all our problems. Ash Koley came to perform an acoustic set in our office one day, and we've been in love ever since. If you freeze-frame on the test the students are taking online, you'll notice one of the math problems is about 'Mary' - a nice little present for you hardcore fans!"
"Be My Girl" by Karyn Ellis
The song playing during Fiona's dream at the top of the episode.
" The Toronto artist Karyn Ellis and her sombre tones carried us in and out of Fiona's dream, and was the perfect lucid companion to Fiona's confusion and strife. It really felt like one of those songs you would listen to while you sleep, and would bleed into your subconscious and begin forming a dream around it. So we ask you, did Fiona dream about Holly J and think of this song, or was she listening to this song and it formed her dream about Holly J? You decide."
"The Long Goodnight" by Dead Letter Chorus
From Adam and Fiona's make-out slash break-up scene.
"We first saw Dead Letter Chorus perform with Two Hours Traffic here in Toronto; this Australian band of troubadours tour the world stealing hearts. A blend of country, bluegrass, folk and alt-indie-rock, their beautiful harmonies help to paint the stories they tell, including one memorable story about the lead singer's mother not knowing she was adopted until just recently. The resulting music is heartbreaking, longing and boot-swinging all at once."
"Soundtrack of My Life" by Less Than Jake
From the studying montage.
"Less than Jake reached out to us, and who would have known they are huge Degrassi fans? In fact the drummer, Vinnie Fiorello, founder of Paper+Plastick and Fueled By Ramen Records, told us it's one of his absolute favorite shows. We were thrilled to be in such good graces and absolutely had to find a spot for such an epic band. Much love to Less Than Jake from the Degrassi world."
"Baby I Need You" by Kim Taylor
From Fiona and Holly J's sleepover.
"Such a sweet message, wrapped in such a tender musical package deserved some special attention and just the right picture to deliver it. That picture turned out to be tears and snuggling on the couch, and even if there were no secrets between Holly J and Fiona, it still would have made this moment as sincere and honest as it turned out."
- "Living For It" by Von Iva
- "GLS 08 Remix" by Salme Dalhstrom
You can hear samples of both songs over on the Gigantic page.
- Posted on 04/08/2011 by Mary
THERE ARE SPOILERS YONDER, 'NEATH FIONA'S FACE, but fear not, for you can watch all of Degrassi: In Too Deep - Chasing Pavements, pt. 2 online in HD right now by clicking on those words there. When yr done, let's talk:
Fiona on Degrassi: In Too Deep, Chasing Pavements pt. 2
1) Alli: "I don't know, how do you trick kids into studying?" Simpson: "You don't trick them! You just hope they're going to do it on their own accord. You always hope...." Haha poor Mr. Simpson. What are your true motivations for doing well in school? Your own personal growth? Not getting in trouble? Getting free tokens at Chuck E Cheese?
2) I know a lot of us were pulling for Fadam because, like @rediwings32 tweeted to us @teennick:
"I so want Adam to get the girl. He deserves it and Fiona deserves someone who will make her happy and treat her right."
I was totally with you on that, rediwings32. But now that we know what Fiona really wants is to be with a girl... I think things have turned out for the best. Adam wants someone who will like him not for "being stuck in a girl's body", but for being the funny, sensitive, loyal, and understanding guy that he is. He's really only begun the process of transitioning from F to M... and I have a lot of hope that someday, he'll find a girl who loves him for who he really is -- a guy. What do you guys think of how things turned out this week?
Also, because I know there's some confusion out there (I saw some in the comments last week): Adam doesn't want a lesbian girlfriend (like Fiona), because Adam isn't a lesbian -- he's a guy. A straight guy. If he were gay, he'd be into other guys (as some transgender guys are). He was born in a girl's body, but that body feels, at the core of his being, completely wrong for him. So Adam is now living and will continue to live as a guy, and he wants to date a girl who's into guys, because that's what his gender identity is. He's a he.
3) Alli and Bianca giving each other a pound rather than a pounding... did you ever think you'd see the day?
4) OWEN! God! When Anya was lamenting to Chantay that maybe she was carrying a grudge about the way Owen treated Riley and Zane, all I could think was, "Uh... that's a valid grudge." I mean, he's never apologized for it and it offends Anya (and me) (not to mention offending and injuring Zane) (AND not to mention what he did to Adam) so... seems like a valid thing to hold against someone IMO!
So I guess I wasn't that surprised to see that Owen did not indeed "get it" that touching girls in a super-familiar way without their permission is gross, wrong, and gross. And wrong. Here's something I saw in the comments of last week's Degrassi Breakdown, from KayKay[:
"I had a similar yet more intense situation as Anya in 8th grade; I was too ashamed to tell my parents, much less any teacher. I got over it, but to this day, it's still something that haunts me. Girls who get sexually harassed shouldn't tolerate it, they should be straight up with the guy, and if he doesn't stop, then the girl should definitely tell a parent or teacher.We can't let creeps like them get away with it."
5) "OK, why are there only two options for girls: either she likes you, or she's a bitch." - Anya MacPherson. YEAH ANYA! TELL HIM! How can someone -- girl or guy -- be like "I'm into you" and then if they're not interested be like, "Get over yourself"? I guess hurt feelings make people say nonsensical things sometimes.