Blog | Degrassi
- Posted on 09/23/2013 by Rachel1016
While you're watching the encore, we want to hear all your predictions for the Fall Chapter! Will any of the characters strike up an unlikely friendship? What about a surprise hookup? A fall freakout? New school Queen Bee? Will feuds finally be put to rest? You are the experts, and we're looking to YOU to tell us what you think will happen in the Fall Chapter. Make sure to tweet us @TeenNick or @Degrassinsider using #Degrassi before Oct 3rd. We'll be reading them all week and who knows, there's a chance YOUR predictions could appear on air!
- Posted on 09/18/2013 by Rachel Dady
Well, hello there Degrassians! Are you waiting with bated breath for October 3rd like we are? Are you scouring various social pages and fan sites THIRSTY for some info on the Degrassi fall chapter? Well, you might have to wait a little while for that (we know, we're killin' you, Smalls), but in the meantime we need to enlist you in a very important conversation. Yesterday, Olivia Scriven, the wonderful actress who plays Maya, posted a photo to her Instagram seemingly taken in the halls of the Degrassi set. Did you all see this photo? Did you all have a reaction something along the lines of...WUUUUT?
Photo Credit: @livscriv / Olivia Scriven's Instagram
It's not everyday that you see a sink chillin' in from of some lockers, am I right? We're wading through some serious confusion right now, and we would like to start an open conversation about what in the world this photo might mean. Sure, we understand that this is just one measly Instagram shot likely taken on a whim, meant for the disposable interwebs, blah blah blah. But you guys, we just can't keep this bottled up inside! Walk with us as we consider these five lingering questions.DID OLIVIA MOVE IN AT DEGRASSI?Olivia's caption to this puzzling image reads: "Degrassi is LIFE." Now, far be it from us to suggest that Degrassi is not indeed our lifeblood, our bread and butter, our everything. Because it is. BUT is she perhaps speaking in a more literal sense? Maybe filming runs too long and Olivia has been forced to make the halls of Degrassi her new home? Or maybe she is just outstandingly dedicated and embarking on some sort of method acting endeavor? Seriously, WHY is there a sink (with a toothbrush and what looks like either a tube of toothpaste or deodorant) in the middle of the hallway?IS IT AN OPTICAL ILLUSION?A few technical aspects of the image just don't make sense. For one, shouldn't we be able to see the photographer in the mirror? It's positioned high enough that there should be some sort of something its reflection, right? A hand? Or maybe the top of a head? Heck, we'd even take a ghost! We're starting to wonder if we're all just pawns in Olivia's brilliant scheme to fool/creep the heck out of us.COULD THIS BE PART OF A DEGRASSI NIGHTMARE SEQUENCE?We all know the "showing up to school naked" nightmare clich�, but perhaps the Degrassi writers have plans to tread new territory with dream sequences this fall? I mean, a scene in which someone dreams about brushing his or her teeth in the hallway could be...embarrassing? Okay, this one is definitely a stretch, but you'll have to forgive us for considering all possibilities.WHY IS THE WATER IN THE CUP YELLOW?Here's a slightly disturbing head scratcher: If the toothbrush is indeed being used for practical purposes, why is the water which it soaks so...murky? Should we be concerned about the Degrassi plumbing? Is the glass intentionally stained with that rotten yellow hue? Is there some other unmentionable liquid in there? You'll agree, this is a minor detail we just can't ignore.DID WE MISS SOME IMPORTANT DEGRASSI REFERENCE?The only other possibility that could solve this mystery that Olivia has made an iconic Degrassi reference or inside joke that we've just completely missed. We really hope we're wrong because we like to consider ourselves Degrassi experts, but we scoured through the comments left on Olivia's Instagram and honestly, no one else seems to be as confused as we are! Are we making total fools of ourselves right now? Oof.
Realistically, there is a strong chance that this photo means absolutely nothing. But we still think it merits a larger discussion, so we would LOVE to hear your thoughts. Please, take it away in the comments!
- Posted on 09/11/2013 by Rachel1016Even though it's only been a few weeks since we wrapped up the Degrassi summer chapter, it feels like a downright eternity since we last set foot in the hallowed, dramatic, halls of Degrassi Community School. As the countdown to fall chapter begins, we've got a little something to whet your Degrassi-starved appetites!If this trailer is any indication, we can expect next-level hi-jinks, emotions, freakouts and, of course, capital D Drama this fall ! There are about a thousand different things to unpack in this clip so we picked a few of the most shall we say, intriguing, moments. Watch the trailer below and try to contain yourself.Maya twirls seductively out of a bed sheet with sultry, wind-blown hair.Drew gets, um, wet n' wild?
Obligatory Gasp #2
Dallas has a hard time keeping his hands to himself.Zoe and Maya, well... we all saw this coming.Likely the reason for the above.Don't even get us started on what this might be.Watch the full trailer right here, and let the countdown to October 3rd begin!
- Posted on 09/10/2013 by Rachel1016
You guys, how lucky are we? Last week, the multi-talented Melinda Shankar (a.k.a Alli Bhandari) visited us at TeenNick HQ in Times Square! The Degrassi senior / style maven / sweetest girl in the world was visiting the city on a short break and took time out of her day to chat with us! Can I just say, girl knows how to light up a room. And just because we work in the industry doesn't mean we're immune to extreme Degrassi-stan antics, okay? We shamelessly fangirled (and fanboyed?) all over the place when she sat down with us.
First of all, Mindy is 23847239 times more beautiful in person than her already-stunning TV self. She rocked an acid-wash crop top and mini skirt ensemble with some KILLER platform heels (no really, I would likely fall to my death in them), added a pop of color on her lips, and sprinkled a little bit of bling around her neck.
Killer heels, amirite?!
She chatted us up like we were all old friends, and gave us the scoop on the goings on of the Degrassi crew while they're in between chapters. In fact, she let us know that a few of the cast members attended the Toronto International Film Festival (which is a HUGE deal, y'all) and even though they've been on break, she said that cast is getting ready to start up filming again very soon! YAY FOR US.
Naturally, we tried to get some insider details about the upcoming season, and, well, we may or may not have gotten some juicy info. O_O Even though we're sworn to secrecy for now (SORRRRRRY), rest assured it will be worth the wait come October!
Check out these cute pics we snapped from the meet-and-greet!
Little known fact: Here at TeenNick we're not only know for stellar teen programming, but also world famous coffee served in giant mugs. Sure, it kind of looks like Mindy found a bug in her drink, but just trust us. All of this is true.
Is that the most glamorous fish face you've ever seen, OR WHAT? Work it. Covergirl.
- Posted on 08/23/2013 by Rachel1016
On the emotional summer finale of Degrassi, we said our goodbyes to Adam Torres. Drew, Becky, and the students of Degrassi gathered to remember Adam's life and celebrate the man who, as Drew said, made such a huge mark on the people around him. The soundtrack for this episode featured four delicate and sensitive songs, including one original by Degrassi's own Jessica Tyler, gracefully bringing all of those emotions to life.
Here's the full list of songs featured in "Young Forever:"
Folly and the Hunter: "Vultures"
Fossil Collective: "Boy with Blackbird Kite"
Jessica Tyler: "So Long"
Family of the Year: "Hero"
And as always, listen to these songs and all of your favorites of the season on TeenNick's Spotify playlist.
Family of the Years's "Hero" served as the melancholy, buy hopeful soundtrack to the episode's final moments, when Drew and Becky looked to each other to find closure.
- Posted on 08/23/2013 by Rachel1016Summer at Degrassi came and went with lightning speed, and it's hard to believe that another chapter has come to a close! Last night, we ended the season with both heavy and hopeful hearts as the kids of Degrassi mourned the loss of dear Adam, but leaned on each other to begin healing. If you missed the summer finale, check it out online before we spoil it for you!FINDING FORGIVENESSWe knew it was going to be difficult to watch Drew cope with the loss of his brother this episode, but no one could have quite predicted what a toll it would take. It makes sense that he looked for something, someone, to blame for Adam's death. Sometimes laying blame shifts the burden of trying to rationalize the unthinkable, and it became pretty clear that he was doing just this when he accused Becky of causing Adam's death. In fact, it came to light that Drew felt guilty himself.For the better part of the episode, he couldn't open himself up to the love and support of Bianca and Dallas, and it seemed as though he was going to spiral into darkest part of his own devastation. By the end, though, how triumphant did you feel when he joined the gang in celebrating Adam's life?When he walked through woods and showed up at the bonfire memorial service, my spirit soared. He promised Adam, "To me you'll never be gone. You'll always be right here."HE'S HERE WITH USAs much as we might be inclined to remember Becky and Adam's relationship issues as directly related to Adam's death, I really felt for Becky when she struggled this episode. Shouldering an immense amount of guilt and simultaneously trying to come to terms with losing her boyfriend, Becky decided to organize a bonfire in memory of Adam. With the help of Jenna, Alli, and Connor, she decorated a beautiful space in the middle of a field for all of their friends to gather.And even though she feared that she had alienated herself from Adam's friends and loved ones, the gang came out with hearts full of love for the most beautifully moving tribute.There was even a moment of reconciliation between Becky and Drew. Drew said, "I think Adam would be pretty mad at the way I treated the girl he loved." They both came to terms with the fact that Adam's death was no one's fault, and realized that their next move was to make it mean something. Carry on his legacy. Aw! *Single tear*SOME GOOD NEWSFinally, one undeniable highlight of this summer finale was finding out that Clare's cancer is officially in remission! Over the course of this chapter, we've closely followed her hard-fought battle with cancer, and to find out that she's just about in the clear could not have been a better way to end the season. One of my favorite moments this episode really highlighted the overall theme: Claire said, "Now I just need to make the most of my life." It's time to look forward. We are Degrassi, indeed!Oh, P.S., did anyone else catch Alli and Dallas chatting it up? Hmm... fall chapter, here we come!What did you all think of the summer finale? Sound off in the comments!Posted on 08/22/2013 by Rachel1016Posted on 08/20/2013 by Rachel1016Posted on 08/19/2013 by Rachel1016
Last week on Degrassi, we were shaken by the passing of one of the show's most unique and beloved characters, Adam Torres.Although Adam's death may have come as a shock to all of us, his passing can also serve to teach a valuable lesson about texting while driving. In a world where we're in constant communication with one another, anxious to send or receive messages, it's easy to lose sight of how our behavior can become irrational. We think, "My phone is right there. One quick text will only take a second." We've seamlessly integrated checking our phones into almost every aspect of our life; it's undeniably easy to divert our attention for a moment. But in reality, as Adam's story illustrates, a moment is all it takes to turn your world upside down.Legendary filmmaker, Werner Herzog, tackles the issue of texting and driving with haunting real-life honesty. His film, "From One Second To The Next" features four heart-wrenching stories of texting and driving accidents told by victims, victims' families, and the perpetrators themselves. Watch the documentary here, and in Adam's memory, take the pledge to not text and drive.Posted on 08/16/2013 by baileyb2112
There aren't really words to describe this week's episode of Degrassi. All of our fears were realized when tragedy struck and we had to say goodbye to one of our favorite people. But, since word's don't seem to do it justice, here's to hoping that the Adam's death can be better understood through music.
Here's the full list of songs featured in "Honey:"
The Grapes of Wrath: "Good To See You"
Gin Wigmore: "Dirty Love"
Steve Koven Trio: "Lolaland"
Death and a Cure: "When It All Goes South"
Secret Road Music: "Open Your Eyes"
And as always, listen to these songs and all of your favorites of the season on TeenNick's Spotify playlist.
Secret Road Music's "Open Your Eyes" served as the mournful soundtrack of the episode's final moments, when Drew was, in fact, forced to open his eyes to a horrible reality.