Blog | Degrassi
- Posted on 06/02/2010 by Mary
There was a great Jiberty episode on today... well, great in the "to watch" sense -- not great in that they kind of broke up at the end, and Liberty was pregnant, and life was kind of sucking for them. (Hope that wasn't spoilers for anyone!)
I saw this photo in the Degrassi archives recently, and I saw that Jiberty showed up a bunch in people's "favorite couples" lists... so here ya go.
- Posted on 05/30/2010 by Mary
Kelly Henderson from Harsh Designs gave me this tip at the Degrassi carnival shoot -- if you find a cute vintage or thrift prom dress and want to customize it, you could always turn it into a bubble skirt (kind of like Zoe Saldana's wearing in that picture). Here's how:
1) When you have your dress (probably one that's not already super short), buy a shorter skirt made out of jersey fabric -- a somewhat fitted one, rather than a circle skirt.
2) Then sew the bottoms of the skirts together, gathering the fabric of the outer dress to fit the jersey skirt (somewhat symmetrically -- kind of like pleats, but you don't have to be militant about the measurements). Experiment with pins first to make sure you like how it bubbles out.
3) You just wear the jersey skirt waistline around your waist with the dress over it; the bottom of the outer dress will be pulled into a bubble shape.
- Posted on 05/27/2010 by Mary
I just saw this pic of Jane and Spinner (or is it Paula and Shane?) and it made me go "awww" right out loud. Love is the best.
How do they rank on your "favorite Degrassi couples" list? Do you think they're built to last?
- Posted on 05/26/2010 by Mary
At the Degrassi carnival shoot, since everyone was looking so gorgeous and all, I decided to ask some of the hair and wardrobe stylists if they had any advice for prom. The hair the cast was wearing that day was all a little too high-maintenance for a night out dancing, but I did find out about:
A simple, elegant, danceable prom hairstyle
Hair stylist Heather Fox recommended a low, loose chignon for prom, because:
1) It's beautiful and elegant. (Here's a pic of Amy Adams wearing the same style to the Oscars last year.)
2) It's simple enough that if it falls out 'cause you're dancing too hard, you can go into the bathroom and do it again, no sweat.
3) Since it's a loose, soft look, you don't have to put a tube of gel and two cans of hairspray on it. So your hair will be touchable.
1) After your hair is thoroughly dry, pull it gently into a low side ponytail. Don't pull it tight... just gather the hair and secure it gently with a ponytail holder.
2) Back-comb the ponytail (also known as "teasing" it), but don't be rough with it. Just enough to give it a little volume.
3) Twist the ponytail around loosely once or twice, roll it into a very loose bun, and use as many bobby pins as you need to secure it. Then finish with a light coat of hairspray.
4) Don't worry about every little flyaway hair. If you plaster them into submission, this hairstyle loses its charm.
Awesome. And next time... one of the wardrobe stylists told me how to make a cute DIY bubble skirt out of any ol' thrifted prom dress. Coming soon!
- Posted on 05/21/2010 by Mary
I got to visit the set for one of the carnival shoot days, and it was probably one of the coolest things I've ever seen.
They seriously did build a carnival inside a giant warehouse...it was amazing. It's like, you're outside in a parking lot at 7 a.m. in kind of the middle of nowhere, surrounded by a bunch of what look like enormous garages -- just boxy and bland -- and then you walk inside one of them and it's like, "Oh look! We're at a carnival, at night."
They had covered the floor with peat moss, so it really felt like you were outside, and the Ferris wheel and merry-go-round were really spinning, and the popcorn truck had real popcorn in it. There was even one of those thingies where you shoot the target with a water gun to get your clown car across the finish line. And every once in a while randomly throughout the day you'd hear a big loud RRRRRRRRRIIIINNNGGGG, which would be someone winning the water gun race, because people kept playing with it when they were bored. Because how could anyone resist a free water gun race game! (And for the record, no one got yelled at for it, either.)
OK, I'm just gonna show you some pics. You can also check out our video hub for behind-the-scenes videos, and I'll tell you more soon (including the Charlotte/tiger story).
I forget who won this race.
But I remember that this new boy's name is Luke. What's up, Luke. (He's 15. You're going to love him. A lot.)---
Wardrobe was insane, obviously. Aislinn told me she got to see the warehouse this all came from, which was basically like if you went into a walk-in closet the size of a Walmart...but packed wall to wall with every single kind of clothing, from any era, in any size, that you could ever possibly want or need. One of the wardrobe people told me a lot of it is either thrifted or actually donated from completed productions that just don't want all their beautiful clothing-hunting to go to waste.
It's the little things... one of the set designers put giant stuffed animals in all the Ferris wheel seats. Hee.
So many beautiful, little details that would never make it onto the screen, but totally set the mood for the shoot...
Snaaaaaaakes. (And that boy's name is Munro in real life. If you were wondering. Which you were. Because you're going to love him, too.)
- Posted on 05/21/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOOOOOOOOOW if you haven't watched the Degrassi season finale yet but everyone else... let's bond.
1) Yo. This might have been hormonal but... I cried. Every time Declan and Holly J looked at each other and you could tell how much they genuinely love each other... I died inside. I love love. Anyone else a sop like me?
2) Also, score one for Holly J for teaching us all what a little patience and flexibility can do in a relationship -- I totally thought this was headed in a "Holly J is going to get her heart trampled" direction and instead, it was "Holly J is going to get what she wants by being tender, instead of being a hard-ass." What did you think was going to happen?
3) How much would it freak you out if your bf/gf had to kiss someone else for a play? 'Cause I feel like it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but maybe that's 'cause I've never had to actually see it happen.
4) How many "L bombs" have you dropped -- in a relationship situation, not a friends one. And how did it go?
5) Regardless of how you feel about Jenna, you gotta admit she can sing, right?
6) Dude. Chantay probably did already have the germs. That's what I was thinking too!
7) Uhh... did anyone see that Shark in the Water video? The carnival? With all the Degrassi people? Interesting.
- Posted on 05/20/2010 by Mary
Soooo I met Charlotte Arnold recently, at a thing, which I can't tell you about, but did I mention that you really probably definitely want to watch the Degrassi season finale tomorrow night at 9 p.m. et? Anyway, from my time spent with her , I have compiled for you this list of...
10 Interesting Charlotte Arnold Facts Many of Which Are Also Reasons I Now Have a Total Girl Crush On Her .
1) That's her natural hair color -- she has what they call "virgin hair", meaning it's never been processed.
2) She loves Leonard Cohen and she went to see him twice on his last tour.
3) She's a total journalist. Not just because she's studying journalism in college (perhaps with an eye toward broadcast, which I can see her completely owning at) but because it's just in her nature to always be asking people about themselves; their work, their lives, whatever. For instance at lunch, she started a round of "which Degrassi character do you most identify with" -- and not because she was like, waiting for her turn to talk, but because she seemed to genuinely want to know what everyone's character was. (PS: she said she has Manny's sense of humor, and Jane's Jane-ness, or at least she wants Jane's Jane-ness.)
4 ) Which makes sense because she and Paula Brancati are good friends in real life.
5) She says Sam Earle is 'the love of her life' -- which is Charlotte-speak for 'he's exceptionally cute and smart', not that she actually wants to break up with her boyfriend for him.
6) And she's totally Team Clare, if you were wondering.
7) She has Alexz Johnson's old dressing room at Epitome.
8) She has tiny feet, like size 5, which I can tell you from experience makes it IMPOSSIBLE to find shoes. But she says she can swing a 6 if the shoes are important.
9) She works hard for the money, honey. Out of all the cast members there that day, she had to stay the longest -- like 13, 14 hours? -- because her scenes were scheduled all over the day. And that whole time she was in costume and full makeup, which involved a jauntily-angled hairpiece so that she couldn't lie down and take a nap in-between. And even at the tail end of that long-ass day, she could still nail a smile that looked fresh as a daisy. Oh, and she didn't complain once. The entire day. Stephanie Cohen (an Epitome bigwig and long-time Degrassi cast den mother) told me that's completely standard for Charlotte -- always delivers, never complains.
10) And one time she almost got eaten by a tiger, but I'll tell you about that another time.
- Posted on 05/20/2010 by Lisa
After Mary posted about Declan's wardrobe awhile back, great1zero wrote in with a question about Declan's striped hoodie:
"I have been trying to identify the designer of it for awhile now but haven' t had any luck and was hoping you could help out. Declan wears a lot of cool clothes and I never seem to see any name brands on any of them."
I checked in with Steve Wright, the wardrobe supervisor on Degrassi. He says, "The hoodies in question are from Montreal, Canada. Point Zero is the brand." Steve also mentioned that Declan wears a lot of Armani Exchange and that "you can find great stuff at the outlet store for cheap."
So there you go! YAY, now we can all dress like Declan.
- Posted on 05/19/2010 by Mary
Can it really be the end already? Finale sounds so... final. No fair.
And yet, we've had such a lovely season. And we've got the movie coming this summer. And... I have a feeling you're not exactly going to be bummed out on Degrassi after you watch the finale this Friday. (9pm et! Don't be late, son!)
- Posted on 05/14/2010 by Mary
EEEEEEEEE!! Lots to talk about from tonight's episode... though of course, if you haven't watched yet, this whole thing will be SPOILERSSSSSSS so go away! As for the rest of us...
1) Oh my GOD! When Riley was like, giggling because Anya said "you have a crush on Zane"... I swear It MELTED MY HEART! And then when he and Zane made plans for coffee... was I the only one jumping up and down in my chair going "Riley has a date! Riley has a date!"?
2) I was so scared he wasn't going to kiss him! And then when he did and he smiled... I don't think we've ever even SEEN Riley's smile before that. I didn't even realize how much I loved him as a character until I felt so overjoyed for him.
3) Curious... what would happen if (or did happen when) one of the biggest jocks at your school came out?
4) Clare! Dude! Clare is strong like the Hulk! I almost can't believe she didn't fall for K.C.'s "everything was better when we were together" line. Could you be that strong?
5) Jenna Middleton: not winning any fans tonight, I'm guessing. I used to try to give her the benefit of the doubt and think she was at least Real and fun, though flawed... but tonight she came off straight up shady, right? I know Jenn a has some fans out there... are any of you having second thoughts about her at this point?