- Posted on 03/26/2011 by Mary
Yeah... I'll admit it. That looks like fun.
Let's all keep in mind that this is the face making up one half of that scene, too. Yeah.
Ryan Rottman, aka Joey on Gigantic, aka yeah.
- Posted on 03/25/2011 by Mary
Here's info on all of this week's Gigantic and Degrassi songs (including Degrassi music supervisor commentary -- all the quotes in italics).
"Cleo's Song / Years" by JBM
From the scenes where Sav tells Alli he has her back, and where the Bhandaris all agree to communicate better.
Check the Degrassi page for a sample.
" JBM really touched us; the entire album, Not Even In July is a heartfelt symphony of emotion, and it carried beautifully to television. These songs appear in the show in reverse order: on the album, the beautiful musical masterpiece 'Years' is followed by the nostalgic sadness of 'Cleo's Song'. There were moments in Alli's dad's speech where 'Years' hit everything at just the right moment, lifted the scene, lowered it, sent shivers down your spine. These songs mark a truly beautiful moment in Degrassi history, a moment of change, acceptance and honest love."
"Write It All Down for You" by Elliott Brood
From when Holly J is visiting her own personal pharmacy in her locker.
" We've always been big Elliott Brood fans, a great Canadian act that has built itself a strong fanbase and solid reputation over the years. It's a lyrically powerful song, but this moment was more musical than lyrical, hitting all the right drums, shouting all the right tones for the scene."
"Pogo" by Eternal Summers
Take a wild guess which scene this was in.
"When it came time to spot this episode, we couldn't help but think of the song 'Pogo' for Wesley's pogo scene. It was one of those times when the song appeared out of nowhere, just in the nick of time, and was so crazy that it actually worked!"
- "Happily Ever" by Wil Seabrook - you can hear a sample over on the Gigantic page
- Posted on 03/25/2011 by Mary
LOOK OUT, SPOILERS BELOW for those who missed out on the awesomeness. (Here's the full ep so you can be like the rest of us.) But if you've seen it, let's get chatty.
Holly J fell down went boom on Degrassi. She has a boo boo in her kidneys.
1) It's a good thing I never ran away because I have a feeling I'd fare just about as well as Alli -- I would totally try to ask someone for "Runaway 101" tips and end up getting jacked.
2) If your parents wanted your whole family to go to therapy together... would you be into it?
3) UP TOP, WESLEY! What do you guys think of Hannah? And should we call them Wannah? Weslah? I think I like Wannah. Anyway, a round of applause for a sweet guy finding a lovely girl. clap clap clap clap clap
4) You know what? It's interesting that Holly J didn't try to sabotage Chantay, since they were competing at that work study. It seems like the HJ of even a season ago totally would have. (It's also interesting that so many people out there speculated that Holly J might have diabetes, since it did turn out to be her kidneys... even if she got there in a really roundabout way.)
5) Also, who else here is guilty of totally trying to put off dealing with being sick because you were like "I don't have TIME to be sick." /me sighs, raises hand.
- Posted on 03/24/2011 by Mary
Alli has had it. She's done listening to other people's opinions about her decisions, including Johnny's.
Can I just say something? When Johnny said he doesn't want to see Alli become a "squeegee kid," all I could think was... um, there are a lot worse things for us to worry about with Alli alone on the streets.
Runaways are such easy prey for some truly messed up people who do MESSED up things. A runaway's desperate need for support can lead them to turn to people who have the worst possible plans for them, and who have disgusting amounts of patience for building up trust in their victims.
Alli is SO not safe out there. Her situation scares the crap out of me.
- Posted on 03/23/2011 by Mary
What's it like to get fan mail? And what is Jamil (aka Dave) like in real life? Melinda expounded for us, approximately 31,000 twitter followers ago:
Melinda Shankar of Degrassi works them red ankle booties.
- Posted on 03/22/2011 by Mary
Clare, mortified, in "Man with Two Hearts"
User Brandy created this message board threat about Embarrassing Moments on Degrassi... She mentions such golden scenes of humiliation as:
"When the teacher found the vibrator in Clare's book bag in the middle of class.
When Declan listened to the angry voice message that Holly J sent in front of her."
Ah, embarrassing moments. No one does them quite like Degrassi. What have been your favorites so far?
And... just fyi... mild SPOILER ALERT... you're in for another classic one this Friday.
- Posted on 03/22/2011 by Mary
"I guess if it's not dangerous, it's not worth it, right?" -- ???
Which Degrassi mouth is going to blurt that one out on Friday? Prognosticate in the comments...
- Posted on 03/21/2011 by Mary
Alli isn't safe... on the next Degrassi: In Too Deep
The new Degrassi flipbook is in, with sneak peek pics from Friday's episode.
Take a look and drop your predictions for Alli, Holly J, and everyone else in the comments...
- Posted on 03/20/2011 by Mary
The message boards are a-gurglin' with excitement over the retro '90s block we're planning. And like I said, everything's still in the planning stages right now so... that means now is a great time to pipe up!
What '90s shows do YOU want to see come back?
- Posted on 03/19/2011 by Mary
Watching this kind of broke my heart -- in that it looks to the naked eye like Alli has discovered that YET another person doesn't have her back. It must be such a feeling of abject loneliness. Like, existential loneliness.
But when I take a step back and think about it:
- Yes, she had a terrible fight with Sav, but look at how hard he's trying to find her, look how worried he is about her.
- Yes, her parents have been overly strict, but look at where that comes from -- the overwhelming urge to protect her. Their intention is love even if they're a little inept at it sometimes. Who isn't a little inept at love sometimes?
- Yes, some people at Degrassi are talking behind her back but what about Clare? Or Dave? What about the friends who DID have her back? What about the friends who jumped on the football field and danced like jackasses in front of the whole school for her?
I don't know. I don't mean to get all emo on you but the whole thing is making me think about how, even when you feel as alone in the world as Alli does right now... that doesn't mean you're actually alone. It's an illusion. You know?
Roll call in the comments: Who are the people who really do have your back in this world, even if they screw up sometimes?