- Posted on 11/04/2010 by Mary
Here's a sneak peek at the first scene of Friday night's brand new Degrassi episode.
I'm keeping my commentary on lockdown for now except to say that I LOVE tomorrow's episode, especially... there's this one scene... which we will talk about after tomorrow night. OK. Shutting up now.
- Posted on 11/04/2010 by Mary
I chatted with Ryan Rottman -- Joey on Gigantic -- recently, and picked his brain about his real-life paparazzi type experiences. For the record: he's super nice, talks really fast but low-key at the same time, and was hanging out in Atlantic City when we spoke.
So are there really people like Vanessa who call the paparazzi and tell them to be places?
Oh, 100%. That definitely happens. Whether it's people's publicists that are just trying to get their face out there or just, Hollywood is full of people that just want to be famous. They want to see their face on a magazine or on TMZ.
Do they ever really call the paparazzi and then when the photographers show up, pretend to be annoyed?
Oh for sure. They'll call them and completely act annoyed, and, "Oh I can't believe they're here," and be rude to the paparazzi, because they don't want anyone to know that they [called them]. They'll totally play aloof. It happens probably more often than you think it does.
But there are also people who just genuinely get attacked by the paparazzi, right?
Yeah. If you're a huge star, they all follow you. And if you're going somewhere, they'll show up, and then if someone else shows up and the paparazzi are already there, they'll get their picture, too. But if it's not a massive star, the paparazzi are probably not just following them. They probably called.
So, among the Gigantic cast you're the one who, if I search on your name, these alleged details about your private life show up...
What does that feel like? Is it ever flattering to think that people care about your personal life, or is it stressful, do you ignore it... how do you deal?
I kinda do my best not to pay any attention to it and not to follow that whole thing. But of course, you see it certain places or you hear about it so, you want to know what people are saying about you. You do have to pay attention to it.
But it's just weird. It's weird that people care enough to take pictures or write about you, or just care what you're doing, or whether you're in a relationship. And seeing a picture of yourself walking out of some place like a Ralph's grocery store -- it's really strange.
Have you ever seen pictures of yourself that you didn't know were being taken?
Oh yeah. 100%. They hide everywhere, and they're across the street -- you never see them. And then two days later, you see it online. It's awkward. You kinda feel like you're being stalked.
Yeah! I would feel so violated! And it's just that you don't have the same right to privacy that everyone else has because... you're an actor?
Yeah. And most of the time it's not me, it's the company I keep. When I hang out with friends who are very successful actors and stuff like that, it's very uncomfortable because [the photographers] are in your face and they're behind your car. And you just feel violated. It's like someone breaking into your car or your house, that feeling you get afterwards when you know someone's been in there. Just a very uncomfortable feeling.
I can imagine also that if you're known as a couple and then go through a breakup -- if people are talking about it in gossip columns, that's gonna make it feel even worse right?
Oh for sure. Whether you're with someone or you're not with someone, the last thing you want is to read or see someone talking about your relationship. It's none of their business whatsoever.
Right. It's sort of one of Gigantic's themes, how Hollywood is basically high school amplified -- so people can imagine that in high school you don't want people talking on Facebook about your relationship. It hurts no matter what.
Exactly, it would be like a blog in high school talking about everyone in the school.
Do you feel like the public has any responsibility to not read that stuff because it is damaging to real human beings? Can anything be done?
At this point, in our technological era, I don't think anything can be done. People are gonna read it; everyone wants to be outside of their own life.
So, you have a production company, right?
Yeah, we actually just finalized our next project which is James Franco's next film. It's called The Broken Tower; it's about a gay professor at Yale, one of the first to come out. Actually I have a small part in it as well, and James is directing it and starring in it. With our company, we set out to make movies that have substance... There are these amazing scripts in town that aren't getting made, so we wanted to make it our goal to find these scripts, these projects that are inspiring and that have meaning to them and get those made.
Plus it must be an actor's dream to be able to produce films you would actually want to be in.
Yeah, and we know James well and that's why we teamed up with him, because that's exactly how it is. He wants to make projects that have some meaning behind them; he's about the art and telling the story, and that's what I kind of idolize and strive for.
- Posted on 11/03/2010 by Mary
Here is a picture of something that will happen on this Friday's Degrassi.
Oh, and look! Another picture of a thing. A Degrassi thing.
I sure do hope you watch this Friday at 9p et so you'll know that sooo much more happens that I can't tell you about because ruining surprises is no fun for anyone! I sure, sure do.
- Posted on 10/30/2010 by Mary
Happy Hallo-weekend! Here's a plastic jack-o-lantern's worth of behind the scenes snapshots from Degrassi's Monster Moon shoot. Also, fyi, you can click here to watch all four Monster Moon minis crammed into one.
Two more vids are coming (they're on TV during the 9pm Degrassi airings, and then online afterwards).
Oh and check out this cute li'l pic of Munro and Aislinn behind the scenes at the shoot. Awww/ewww.
- Posted on 10/30/2010 by Mary
Technically she's just their dad's girlfriend and not their stepmother but still... would YOU want this person living in your house?
1) I've seen people calling them Fadam, but what about Fionadam? Nah, I guess Fadam is better.
2) I know that when the episodes about Adam being transgender first aired, some of you had questions about whether that means he's straight or gay, so I just wanted to clear up: Adam is straight. He's a guy who likes girls. But, if you're wondering, there are also female-to-male transgender guys who are gay -- they like guys.
3) Do you think Fiona can handle Adam's different-ness? (I guess Fiona's got different-ness of her own, doesn't she? I guess we all do.)
SPOILERS BELOW; watch the ep now if you haven't already. Then let's talk....
1) It was so hard to watch Clare ask questions like "Why do I have to suffer because they fell out of love?" -- questions that really just don't have any good answer. Did anyone out there with divorced parents feel pangs of recognition watching Clare go through this? What would you tell her if you could talk to her right now?
2) So very pleased to meet you, Bullfrog and Cece! Are Eli's parents anything like you expected? Also, would you freak out if you found out your bf/gf's ex used to live with them? Like in their room?
3) Clare and Eli are very different... do you think they're different in good ways, or ways that will pull them apart at some point?
4) Wow. Adam and Fiona on the steps... that was definitely some bonding going on. Who do you think makes a better boyfriend for Fiona, Drew or Adam?
5) So, Dave and Wesley. On the one hand... dude, Dave and Alli have so much in common, it's really a wonder they didn't end up together. Why can't people appreciate the friends they have rather than wanting "cooler" ones? On the OTHER hand... you know, Dave has some interests that Wes doesn't. It seems natural that he'd want some other friends, too. I guess the problem is when he tries to replace one with the other, instead of having lots of friends. What did you think of the Dave/Wes dynamic tonight?
Here's all the song cues I could find from tonight's new episodes...
- "A Place So Small" by Kate York (that's her on the left)
- "Better With You" by Five Times August
- "Dizzy from the Ride" by Alex Roots -- this one, by the way, is the show's theme song. And, fyi, we recently learned that Alex Roots is a Virgo who loves tea, Coco Mademoiselle perfume, Paramore, and tidiness. She says the song "was actually written about how clumsy I am! Everyone who knows me best refers to me as a ditz because you can never trust me to not drop, spill, break or smash something. And as the lyrics in the song say... 'My body's always letting me down'."
- "Don't" by Jesse Ruben
- "Crown Me" by pikihead productions featuring m. deezy
- "You Ain't Coming By" by Kristen Jones
- "Kiss Me" by Molly Thomason
- "Warn Me" by Sports: The Band
- "I Just Want to Love You" by The Strange Familiar
- Posted on 10/28/2010 by Mary
Here's the first scene of tomorrow night's heartbreaking Degrassi ep.
Clare had been waiting for her parents to finally say the words... they're getting divorced. But now that it's official, it feels like it's not even close to the end of the sadness and loss she'll go through.
To any real life someones out there somewhere who are having a day pretty much exactly like this one... consider yourself hugged. It'll get better, for you and for Clare.
- Posted on 10/28/2010 by Mary
So I see on the twitters that you and Malcolm seem pretty tight in real life. You guys make music together?
Oh yeah, I think that's how we really formed a friendship. We both knew each other from other projects and knew who each other were. It was more or less like, "Hey, you did that one project?" "Yeah! You did that one project?" "Yeah! OK, good, we're friends."
But when we cracked out the Mac and started using Garage Band we bonded like no other. We have so much music we've been making lately we want to make a mixtape and just throw it out there, have fun with it.
What are you planning for Halloween this year?
I was actually in the costume shop the other day, and I feel like the prices of costumes are going up so drastically, it makes me just want to throw on a hood and be Justin Bieber. It's just the simplest way to go about it... last year I was Justin Bieber. I said "Baby baby baby," and that was my whole entire costume.
OK, so, with Snoop Dogg on this week's episode... I was kind of digging through your IMDB profile, and there's something about you auditioning for Soul Plane?
Oh God! Wow, these are gonna come up. Yeah, when I lived in Texas, in order to get out there on camera, I was a nine year old who decided to dress up like a thug and audition for Soul Plane. I think my audition tape consisted of me lip synching Eminem's "Lose Yourself"... I didn't get it, but I ended up becoming good friends with the kid who did get it.
Sweet! So, we talked on the site about Maggie; about how when Walt first introduces himself to her as "Tom," and she knows who he is but she doesn't say anything. Do you think that's shady behavior on her part, or did she not have a choice?
I think... I can kind of understand where he's coming from, but also where she's coming from. I honestly believe, putting myself in that position, that if she would've said she knew who Walt was, he would have just brushed it off and been like, "OK, it's another girl that knows who I am" and moved on. I think it kind of gave him the time to put down his wall. And when he did, he realized that she's actually a good girl who isn't out to get him. I think it was a smart choice on her part. It's a cute little story they have.
Yeah! I love the scene when she tells him she's studying to be an actress and he just kind of lets go of her hand...
Every single time my friends call me they quote me on that line, "I don't date actresses."
So are you glad you don't have celebrity parents, or do you kind of wish you did?
Um, personally, I'm not into the LA stuff when it comes to liking that. I see acting as a career and it's something that I love to do, and I love to work. But I don't know, I find it so hard to balance stuff already, that having parents who were celebrities... I love my parents to death and I'd still love them if they were famous, but I'm glad I grew up with a normal life. Unlike Walt.