- Posted on 06/02/2010 by Lisa
Are you watching Drake and Josh right now? If not, put it on, because here's what you'll see:
Squeeeeee! BABY SHEEP!! I mean, just look at those widdle sheepy hooves and that tiny pink nose, and those ears that look like they belong on a stuffed animal, because they are way too cute to possibly be real.
I've never kissed a baby sheep on the head, but right now, I really-eally want to. Hmm... maybe I'll pick up my little dog and pretend. (He won't mind. He likes cuddling.)
- Posted on 06/02/2010 by Mary
If anything embarrassing, tender, funny, awesome, horrific, or otherwise interesting ever happened to you at -- or because of -- prom, we want to read it in the comments. Because that is how we entertain ourselves.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
- Posted on 06/02/2010 by Mary
There was a great Jiberty episode on today... well, great in the "to watch" sense -- not great in that they kind of broke up at the end, and Liberty was pregnant, and life was kind of sucking for them. (Hope that wasn't spoilers for anyone!)
I saw this photo in the Degrassi archives recently, and I saw that Jiberty showed up a bunch in people's "favorite couples" lists... so here ya go.
- Posted on 05/31/2010 by Lisa
Zoey 101: Spring Break-Up is supposed to be a fun little TV movie, but in my opinion, it's also a horrifying cautionary tale about the dangers of texting. Seriously.
I won't be too spoilery, in case you haven't seen it yet, but if you've ever watched Zoey 101, you know Chase is in love with Zoey. Everybody knows it -- except Zoey. In Spring Break-Up, Chase mentions his Zoey-love (and how he's not ready to tell her) in a text to a friend. BUT HOLY OMG NO... he accidentally sent that text to Zoey.
The thought of doing something like that absolutely terrifies me, so at that point in the movie I'm usually curled up in a ball, crying on the floor in front of my TV, because I feel so bad for Chase. (That might be a teensy bit of an exaggeration, but just barely.)
I've sent a few stupid emails in my life, but so far, I've never sent a painful, embarrassing text.
Have you? How'd you cope?
- Posted on 05/30/2010 by Mary
Kelly Henderson from Harsh Designs gave me this tip at the Degrassi carnival shoot -- if you find a cute vintage or thrift prom dress and want to customize it, you could always turn it into a bubble skirt (kind of like Zoe Saldana's wearing in that picture). Here's how:
1) When you have your dress (probably one that's not already super short), buy a shorter skirt made out of jersey fabric -- a somewhat fitted one, rather than a circle skirt.
2) Then sew the bottoms of the skirts together, gathering the fabric of the outer dress to fit the jersey skirt (somewhat symmetrically -- kind of like pleats, but you don't have to be militant about the measurements). Experiment with pins first to make sure you like how it bubbles out.
3) You just wear the jersey skirt waistline around your waist with the dress over it; the bottom of the outer dress will be pulled into a bubble shape.
- Posted on 05/29/2010 by Mary
Moviesplosion month = many, many popcorns to eat. And with movies every night all month, I figure that gives everyone plenty of opportunities to get out of our salt 'n' butter ruts.
I just saw a couple of ideas for stuff to sprinkle in my popcorn bowl; I'm dying to try these out:
* Garlic powder +parmesan cheese -- and some people add chili powder in there, too.
* Powdered sugar, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa powder. (I bet some butter in there wouldn't suck, either. I mean it sounds like your fingers are already gonna get pretty messy, so might as well do it up.)
* Olive oil and nutritional yeast -- it's different from bread-making yeast. You can get it at health food stores; a lot of vegans eat it for the vitamins, protein, and nutrients. But it happens to taste good, too.
* A bag of M&Ms. Simple, yet genius.
What do you put on your popcorn? Share your ideas in the comments!
- Posted on 05/28/2010 by Lisa
Every time I see a photo of Amanda Bynes, she's wearing a mini-skirt or mini-dress. In honor of Amanda, let's talk about minis and what makes them so great.
A mini questionnaire:
- How important are minis in your life?
- What kind of shirt looks the best with a mini?
- What shoes are you most likely to wear with a mini? (Boots, heels, flats, flip-flops?)
- When you wear a mini, what's on your legs? (Leggings, tights, socks? Or do you keep them bare?)
- Posted on 05/27/2010 by Mary
I just saw this pic of Jane and Spinner (or is it Paula and Shane?) and it made me go "awww" right out loud. Love is the best.
How do they rank on your "favorite Degrassi couples" list? Do you think they're built to last?
- Posted on 05/26/2010 by Mary
At the Degrassi carnival shoot, since everyone was looking so gorgeous and all, I decided to ask some of the hair and wardrobe stylists if they had any advice for prom. The hair the cast was wearing that day was all a little too high-maintenance for a night out dancing, but I did find out about:
A simple, elegant, danceable prom hairstyle
Hair stylist Heather Fox recommended a low, loose chignon for prom, because:
1) It's beautiful and elegant. (Here's a pic of Amy Adams wearing the same style to the Oscars last year.)
2) It's simple enough that if it falls out 'cause you're dancing too hard, you can go into the bathroom and do it again, no sweat.
3) Since it's a loose, soft look, you don't have to put a tube of gel and two cans of hairspray on it. So your hair will be touchable.
1) After your hair is thoroughly dry, pull it gently into a low side ponytail. Don't pull it tight... just gather the hair and secure it gently with a ponytail holder.
2) Back-comb the ponytail (also known as "teasing" it), but don't be rough with it. Just enough to give it a little volume.
3) Twist the ponytail around loosely once or twice, roll it into a very loose bun, and use as many bobby pins as you need to secure it. Then finish with a light coat of hairspray.
4) Don't worry about every little flyaway hair. If you plaster them into submission, this hairstyle loses its charm.
Awesome. And next time... one of the wardrobe stylists told me how to make a cute DIY bubble skirt out of any ol' thrifted prom dress. Coming soon!
- Posted on 05/24/2010 by Mary
Iyaz's "Solo" video (click to watch!) on Obsess This this weekend made me want to bust out a sundress and go drink lemonade. Plus with next Monday being Memorial Day, I keep hearing the word "summer" get casually thrown around.
It's happening! Summer is actually going to happen this year! I dared not believe it! But now...so stoked.
So come on and tell the world: What's going on the first version of your Summer 2010 playlist?