- Posted on 11/20/2009 by Mary
SPOILERS ARE IN THIS POST. If you haven't watched the episode, don't read because you'll ruin your own fun! THIS MEANS YOU, PLEAZZZE.
E'eryone else... let's dig in.
- That whole "it's better to be known as a gay basher than a gay person" thing reminded me of this documentary I saw, where some gay men were talking about how when they were closeted in high school, they used to join in on beating up other gay kids, because it kept the suspicion away from them. It was the saddest thing ever. Let's have a moment of silence for everyone who's ever taken a beating to hide someone else's fear.
- And wheeew. I love that Riley's come to a decision he can live with. How do you feel about his decision to wait 'til after high school to come out?
- OK, regardless of whether you yourself might ever want to LARP, did you at least feel kinda like "Right on!" when Anya stood up for herself and her interest? I was like, dag, go Anya.
- Is there anything you love that other people think is dorky? Stand up for it right here!
- Have you ever been willing to accept the dorky habit, hobby, or interest of someone you think is otherwise great -- friend or bf/gf? What was it?
- DUDE. JENNA AND K.C.. UHHHH DON'T KNOW IF YOU NOTICED BUT CLARE IS STANDING RIGHT THERE. Keep a lid on the frickin' eye sex! Geez!
- Posted on 11/13/2009 by Mary
SPOILAHS DOWN BELOW YOU GUYS. Scroll on past until you're good and ready. The rest of yous:
1) Off the top, I feel the need to point out that when the guys asked the lifeguard teacher guy which of his female students was the hottest, and he said "It's not really my place to say"... that it wasn't his place to say because he's their FRICKING TEACHER and not because he's gay. Juuust making sure we're all on the same page on that one.
2) Riley . Riley Riley Riley. Honey. I worry so much about you. What do you guys think is going to happen? Will he ever be at peace with himself? What will it take?
3) That whole Dave/Jenna dynamic at the fair... ohhh man have I seen THAT go down in real life. Have you ever found yourself on a "surprise date" that you didn't quite realize was a date? Or have you ever thought you were on a date and realized a little too late that you were just "hanging out"?
4) I imagine I'm not the only one who laughed a Juno laugh when that guy from lifeguarding class -- Fitz, I believe the credits said his name was -- asked Riley and Fiona, "So are you two, you know, sexually active?"
5) Now I finally know why the Degrassi sign has said "JOIN THE LARPING SOCIETY!" for a few weeks now. What do you think of Anya's hobby? Would you join the LARPing society? If all the coolest people in your school suddenly got into LARPing, would you do it then?
- Posted on 11/06/2009 by MaryTHE SPOILERS, THEY ARE BELOW. YOU DO NOT READ THEM IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO. OK? OK THEN. OK.
Let's break it down, Degrassi watchers.
1) Let's have a truth circle. Have you ever been the person who maybe kinda sorta accidentally chose the proverbial mister before your sisters, or... the perfectly respectably young lady before your bros? The kind of person who "needs to get some non-Sav interests"? Or have you been on the other side of that... been the sister or bro who got blown off for the mister or... the perfectly respectably young lady?
2) OK, who here has had a guy or girl over when you were babysitting, raise your hands.
3) I know I can't be the only one who felt not just kinda sorry, but actually really sorry for Declan in this, right? I think he really likes Jane, and I was super touched when he asked her if she wanted to "talk about it." I mean I know he's crossing a cheating line but.. . that doesn't mean his heart's not broke!
4) How do you feel about Holly J choosing not to rat Jane out now that Jane has ended things with Declan? Look fair and square to you, or do you feel a little queasy about it?
5 ) Dude, really boys? Urine? Really? SMH. How about you, what's the most disgusting thing you've ever seen people do in the name of a prank?
- Posted on 10/30/2009 by Mary
SPOILERS AHOY! Don't read 'til you've watched.
1) It doesn't seem like Jenna is actively manipulating or undercutting Clare yet.. . what do you think? Think we'll see her truly catty side come out still?< p> 2) I thought the interplay between Alli, Jenna, and Clare was SO true to life as far as girl friends go. We all have the one friend we talk to when we want to obsess about someone, because we know they'll let us and even encourage us. .. and then the friend we go to when we want a glass of cold reality thrown in our face because we KNOW we need to get over someone. Do you have different "roles" for your friends?
3) Peter's line about "feeling like I got fired from my friends" -- that broke my heart! Ever feel like that?
4) Oh my God, and when Peter handed Jane the tambourine and was like "Looked sexy when Mia did it!" -- so classic. So totally clueless about how dumb he sounded... I loved Jane's "whatever, idiot" face. Have you ever felt pigeonholed into doing like "the girl job" or "the guy job"?
5) Do you think the St¨dz are better with Jane or Peter?
6) And as far as Johnny and his big fat lying face go.... I have way more to say about that, I'm gonna wait 'til tomorrow. What was your reaction? That scene... when he revealed it... holy crap. Big points to Scott Paterson for the acting on that one. Even though on paper the words look kind of giggle-worthy, he made it feel eerily real.
- Posted on 10/23/2009 by Mary
SPOILERS LIKE RAW CHICKEN LEFT IN THE BACKSEAT OF YOUR CAR BELOW. DO NOT READ IF YOU DIDN'T WATCH.
1) OK. Declan. What's his deal. He seems to like Jane for all the right reasons and just be kind of ethically challenged as far as the whole "she has a boyfriend" thing goes... and yet, also, in a way... he did try to back off because of the "Dot guy" situation and Jane subtly indicated that she didn't want him to back off. Sooo... what's your take on that guy?
2) Stüdz + Jane : Thumbz up, down, or sideways?
3) Do you think Manny gave Jane good advice this episode? Or was she just predisposed to be kind of anti-Spinner just because Spinner wasn't right for Manny?
4) Did Jane do the right thing not breaking up with Spinner? Or should she have ripped the bandaid?
5) Yay, K.C. found a father figure! Please please please don't let that guy turn out to be some kind of disappointment. I feel like all of us can relate to that feeling of finding an adult who seems to actually "get" you and really wants to help you out, whether you live with your parents or not. Have you ever had a coach, or teacher, or whatever who was like that?
- Posted on 10/16/2009 by Mary
BIG TIME EPISODE SPOILERS BELOW, don't read if you haven't watched the new Degrassi episode yet! But if you have:
1) Fiona's so much nicer than I expected! What do you guys think of her?
2) Poor Alli... everyone gets PDA from their boyfriends except for her. What are your PDA maximum and minimum? As in what level of PDA can you tolerate from your bf/gf... and what level do you absolutely have to have in order to feel appreciated? Like if someone won't hold your hand in public, are you OK with that?
3) When Johnny told Alli to "act a little more mature", I found myself wondering: Who was acting less mature? Alli, being all goo-goo eyes and spoon-feeding Johnny in the cafeteria, or Johnny, being so intent on maintaining his tough image that he could not tolerate a photo of himself with a stuffed animal being made public?
4) Do you think Sav and Johnny are right that lovey dovey talk should be kept private? Why do guys give each other such a hard time over doing that kind of stuff, if they all do it once they're in love?
5) That last scene, when Alli comes stomping up to Johnny -- the guy she loved to pieces like one day earlier -- I was so pissed at him right along with her. And then you realize he's totally going to keep those pics and she has no control over them anymore. That was like my nightmare... I think that's probably just as bad a fate as having your pics get on the Internet, is knowing that this guy you are SO OVER and pretty much hate might have control over the privacy of your body. So messed up. What were you guys feeling during that scene?
- Posted on 10/09/2009 by Mary
SPOILERS IN HERE. AVERT YER EYES IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE PREMIERE YET!
So what did you guys think of the season premiere? I thought Jamie Johnston did an amazing job; it looked like it must have been an exhausting shoot for him. Anyway, let's take it all apart...
1) Dude, what is Peter doing wrong that all his girlfriends keep moving to other continents? I could feel his heart cracking when Mia pulled that "Don't get mad BUT...." < /p>
2) Would you feel jealous or threatened if you walked in on your best friend bonding with the new kid, like when Alli walked in on Clare and Jenna doing pedicures?
3) Jenna seems like trouble on a few levels BUT, hear me out: I was thinking about how maybe she's just doing her best? Because it's hard to be the new girl.... you've got to make all new friends, and everyone's already got history with each other, and if you want to date anyone it's almost impossible not to step on SOMEONE's toes. Have you ever been the new kid, and did you have any trouble with it?
4) Do you trust Jenna? Do you think her "I'm not half as pretty as you, Alli!" type stuff is genuine or manipulative?
5) Hey. Holly J's priority is this taco. Got it?
6) Also, Holly J has lots of sides, you can't just pick the one you like. Has anyone ever tried to "change" the parts of your personality they didn't like, and how did it go down?
- Posted on 11/25/1913 by baileyb2112
'Tis the season to give back! With Thanksgiving just around the corner and the holiday season not far behind, it's the perfect time to remember all the things you are thankful for, and to consider helping those who are less fortunate. Plus, while you're in the holiday spirit, why not remember the spirit of the HALO Awards too?? Keep the HALO Effect going all year round!
Let your HALO shine by donating, volunteering, or simply brightening someone's day this holiday season. Start small: help your mom prepare a fantastic turkey dinner on Thanksgiving day, give your grandmother a call to let her know you're thinking of her, or give out holiday cards to all of your friends to tell them how much they mean to you. But if you're looking to make a bit of a bigger impact, here are some organizations that could really use your help this holiday:
The Salvation Army
Ever noticed the men and women who bundle up and stand out in the cold around Christmas time, ringing bells and holding red buckets full of donations? These people are dedicated volunteers for the Salvation Army, a charitable organization that has been helping those who are poor or homeless for many years. But you don't have to ring a bell to help them out! Consider cleaning out your closet and donating any clothes you don't wear anymore to someone who really needs them. The Salvation Army can make sure your donations find a good home. Even Austin Mahone, our favorite new heartthrob, is getting involved�he'll be headlining Salvation Army's "Rock the Red Kettle" concert this year!
The Boys & Girls Clubs of America
This national youth organization has chapters all over the United States that provide after-school programs for countless boys and girls. These programs focus on education, leadership, the arts, sports, and more. You can get involved by volunteering at a club in your area, or even starting a club of your own! Check out their website to find the program nearest you and lend a helping hand.
The YMCA is one of America's oldest non-profit organizations, with millions of beneficiaries and numerous community centers all over the world. They offer programs for kids and adults alike that focus on youth development, healthy living and social responsibility with a strong focus on community. If you're interested in being involved, you can donate to the Y, volunteer at a center, or even join a YMCA community near you! It's a great way to give back!
This year, while you're enjoying the wonderful days of delicious Thanksgiving leftovers, holiday decorating and those first few glimpses of snow, keep these organizations in mind and consider making someone else's holiday season a little more special.