- Posted on 06/08/2010 by Mary
Remember that time on Degrassi that Liberty -- organized, conscientious Liberty -- kind of sort of kissed Emma's boyfriend Damien? Just goes to show that all kinds of people can find themselves tempted to do such things. So just in case you ever find yourself in that position, here are three good reasons...
Why Not To Kiss Your Friend's Boyfriend (Even If He's Amazing and Even If You and the Friend Sometimes Have Weird Underlying Competitive Tendencies) (And Please, Feel Free to Switch These Gendered Pronouns with Ones of Your Choosing)
1) Your friend will find out. They almost always find out. And you know what, even if they don't find out, that means you're faced with the unholy choice of either lying to your friend until the end of time, or confessing to her and reaping the well-deserved spite, loss of trust, and probable gossip.
2) It's not worth it. As for the two reasons you might think it'd be worth it:
a) Maybe you and the guy will end up together! BUT -- if you get together before he's officially and unequivocally ended things with his gf/your friend, you will never be able to trust him. You'll have watched him in the act of cheating and lying, and you'll know he's not just capable of it, he's kind of good at it. Sketchy.
b) Maybe you don't want to end up together -- you just want to have a meaningless make-out. Really, though? You're really willing to risk (or interfere with) a real friendship over a meaningless make-out? That's kind of depressing, when you think about it.
3) You'll be proud of yourself. You'll hold the moral high ground. And you'll be able to answer future paramour's questions of "have you ever cheated?" with a firm and honest No.
Have any reasons to add? Drop 'em in the comments.
- Posted on 06/07/2010 by Lisa
Tonight's Movie-splosion movie is Drake & Josh: Really Big Shrimp. One of my favorite things about Drake & Josh is how Dan Schneider (the show's producer) uses the fact that Josh works at the Premiere movie theater to sneak little messages onto the show.
If you watch Drake & Josh closely during the scenes at the Premiere, pay attention to the movie names you see on posters and on theater signs, because they're usually funny. Near the beginning of Really Big Shrimp, there's a quick shot of the outside of the Premiere. Here's what you see:
The people who make the show could've just put random movie titles up there, but instead they used the marquee to include a few personal notes.
Thank You Molaro! - Steven Molaro was a writer on Drake & Josh. Now he works on The Big Bang Theory.
Four Great Seasons - What Drake & Josh had. : )
Lil' Lisa 22 - Dan Schneider's wife's name is Lisa Lillien, but I'm not sure what the 22 is.
February Fourth - I have no idea what this one means!
Robin & Joe - Robin Weiner and Joe Catania are two of the show's producers.
Now She's Carly - Aww, that one's easy! Before she became the star of iCarly, Miranda Cosgrove played Megan on Drake & Josh.
I love that! It makes me want to become a TV producer... the kind who pays attention to the details.
- Posted on 06/06/2010 by Lisa
Remember James, the cute blond guy (played by Austin Butler) who moves in with Chase and Logan in Season 4 of Zoey 101? You're invited to stare dreamily at this photo and pretend he's your new roommate.
I bet he'd totally let you borrow that flannel.
- Posted on 06/06/2010 by Mary
I know that end-of-the-year locker and desk clean-out time can tend to be more of a euphoric, GET THIS CRAP INTO A TRASH CAN AND OUT OF MY LIFE, STAT type situation. But!
Here's something awesome you could do.
If you take a clean cardboard box and go around asking people if they have any clean, un-used school supplies that they were going to just throw out, you could make a difference for someone who needs it (and keep people from throwing perfectly good trees and such into the trash -- or even the recycling bin).
HALO Award winner Darrius Snow told us that the TEAM Foundation Back2School project hopes to "provide school supplies to returning elementary, middle and high school students who can't afford to buy those things." They're reaching out to schools in Georgia and South Carolina, but they'd also "appreciate whatever donation the public can give to help these kids go back to school. The students [who receive your items] will be motivated if they discover the public is interested in their education."
You can mail clean, unused school supplies to:
906 Plainville Dr.
Atlanta, GA 30331.
Or, if you want to collect money instead, you can write checks out to "Essential 2 Life/TeamFoundation" and mail them to the same address.
"Thank you so much for the kind gesture," says Darrius. Thank YOU so much, Darrius.
- Posted on 06/05/2010 by Mary
I am just not a thonger. I only own one thong anymore, a pair of Manowar buttfloss that my old boss bought me (not like that. It was a joke).
I have thought about thongs, I have sampled thongs, I have friends who swear by thongs... but I do not thong.
Do you have any?
Do you actually wear the ones you have? If yes, why?
And if yes, do you constantly want to pick a wedge?
Please, share with me your deepest most innermost thoughts about thongs.
- Posted on 06/04/2010 by Lisa
That's my favorite quote from Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging.
It's from the scene where Georgia and her friends are analyzing what it means when a cute guy says "See you later." Does it mean something special if he says it slowly?
I am totally the kind of person who could spend ages obsessing about the meaning of a quick comment from a cute guy. Does a slow "See you later" mean "I WANT to see you later!" or just... "See you around" ?
If somebody you like said "See you later" to you, kinda slowly, would you be excited? Neutral? Disappointed? I think I'd be psyched... I'm not exactly boy-lingual, but I've got a great imagination. : )
- Posted on 06/04/2010 by Mary
Being a fly on the wall on-set at the Degrassi carnival shoot, I finally got a feel for what it might be like to be an actor. It's not a horrible job, for sure... but it's also not totally as glamorous as I thought. Here's my impression of... A Day in the Life of "The Talent."
- Def have to be able to wake up early. Hair, make-up, and wardrobe calls can be at the buttcrack-of-dawn. You probably already know this. And you have to be ON-TIME. Now all those gossip stories of Lindsay Lohan being like 4 hours late on shoots sound insane to me, because Ray Ablack (Sav) was lamenting the fact that he had been 8 minutes late that morning. I seriously thought he was joking, but he was like, no, that matters... every minute matters because there's a cascade effect that can turn into hours by the end of the day.
- The idea of doing something really emotional take after take always sounded hard to me, but seeing it in action looked even harder. I would feel so much pressure to do it perfectly every time (which, predictably, the Degrassi kids all could, hence they have jobs) because sooo many things can go wrong in a shot -- something's casting a shadow, a prop falls over, the snake's head is pointed wrong, something doesn't land where it's supposed to land, or someone screws up a line. And you don't want to be the thing that's screwing up the shot, because of that cascading time effect. I would probably collapse into a ball of guilt at the end of each day, personally, but that's just me.
- Don't get me wrong, there are perks. Charlotte Arnold (Holly J) said she doesn't mind getting up early because it's fun and relaxing to get your hair and make-up done. And the food is rad. And the snakes. And everyone's SO nice. And while you're milling about backstage, there'll be someone walking around with like, a plate of grilled cheese on nice bread. (And no, sane actors do not starve themselves... people helped themselves to the grilled cheese. It was delicious.)
- So. Much. Repetition.... So. Many. Takes.... and then hours of waiting around while stuff gets set up for the next shot. Or if you're Charlotte that day, hooooouuuuurrrrrs of waiting around -- in costume -- until you're needed again.
- The hair and make-up, to me, looked kind of suffocating. Especially wearing full make-up for like 12 hours. I would have been clawing at my face, personally. But I guess you get used to it. And you can afford nice facials, I'm sure.
- You have to be pretty comfortable with random people just walking up to you and touching you. I mean, not totally random, it's only the hair/make-up/wardrobe people, but you'll just be standing there having a conversation and someone will come up and hold a little piece of your hair back, trying to get it to stay there. I would have wanted to swat their hands away after a while, but the actors were totally patient about it.
- I sound like such a whiner, but believe me, no one was complaining. They were probably looking at the bright side -- they got to be in this insane magic indoor carnival, they were with friends all day, they were making money, they're on a show that people really care about, the shots all looked beautiful, and they were doing what they love for a living. Not too shabby of a job by any measure.
- Posted on 06/02/2010 by Lisa
Are you watching Drake and Josh right now? If not, put it on, because here's what you'll see:
Squeeeeee! BABY SHEEP!! I mean, just look at those widdle sheepy hooves and that tiny pink nose, and those ears that look like they belong on a stuffed animal, because they are way too cute to possibly be real.
I've never kissed a baby sheep on the head, but right now, I really-eally want to. Hmm... maybe I'll pick up my little dog and pretend. (He won't mind. He likes cuddling.)
- Posted on 06/02/2010 by Mary
If anything embarrassing, tender, funny, awesome, horrific, or otherwise interesting ever happened to you at -- or because of -- prom, we want to read it in the comments. Because that is how we entertain ourselves.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
- Posted on 06/02/2010 by Mary
There was a great Jiberty episode on today... well, great in the "to watch" sense -- not great in that they kind of broke up at the end, and Liberty was pregnant, and life was kind of sucking for them. (Hope that wasn't spoilers for anyone!)
I saw this photo in the Degrassi archives recently, and I saw that Jiberty showed up a bunch in people's "favorite couples" lists... so here ya go.
- The HALO Awards
- TeenNick Top 10
- Life With Boys
- House of Anubis
- Hollywood Heights
- Bucket and Skinner
- Alien Surf Girls
- Dance Academy
- TeenNick Rocks Out
- Freaks & Geeks
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- The Nightlife
- Drake & Josh
- Zoey 101
- Ned's Declassified
- Malcolm in the Middle
- Full House
- One on One
- Sabrina The Teenage Witch
- South of Nowhere
- The Best Years
- What I Like About You
- TV Schedule
- '90s Are All That