- Posted on 02/27/2011 by Mary
"I have changed, but all this bad stuff keeps happening to me!"
Alli Bhandari and Malaika on Degrassi: In Too Deep
Oh, Ms. Alli. When her mom was just not buying the whole "It was Malaika's cigarette!" story, my fists were so clenched... there's nothing worse than being blamed for something you really truly didn't do. And it's true that Alli does seem to have grown up a lot.
But... it's also not like Alli's never done ANYTHING wrong...
How much do you think it's true that bad stuff "just keeps happening" to Alli, and how much of it is her fault -- does she invite trouble into her world?
- Posted on 02/26/2011 by Mary
Hmm. Skipping the most important basketball game of the season to go hang out in the ravine with Bianca and Ron-Ron. Interesting choice, Drew.
Now that Drew's getting help, how do you think it'll go:
Bianca will drag Drew down with her
Drew will help Bianca be less self-destructive?
- Posted on 02/25/2011 by Mary
DON'T LET ME SPOIL YOUR DEGRASSI! I couldn't live with myself!
Click here to watch Degrassi: In Too Deep, "The Way We Get By, pt. 2" online in HD first. Then let's talk:
Riley Stavros on Degrassi: In Too Deep
1) Wow. The Stavros' reaction to Riley being gay is intense. And doesn't it shed SO MUCH light on why he had such a hard time accepting himself? The way his mom just wanted to straight up pretend this wasn't happening... it's exactly what Riley did for so long, isn't it? Thank God for Zane -- he had a good point that Riley's come a long way. Here's hoping he's right that Riley's parents will, too.
2) Bianca v Jenna. So interesting how comfortable and righteous Jenna feels in that judgy seat. I know for some of you this is like choosing between Satan and Other Satan, but... if you absolutely HAD to pick one to be friends with... who would it be?
3) When your friends hate your bf/gf. I guess in this instance, the friends are pretty right about the girlfriend being a problem. If your friends were openly anti-your-bf/gf, would it make you wonder about the bf/gf, or the friends?
4) Bianca. She said a line this week that I found endlessly fascinating:
"I'm not your judgy friends. So are you coming? Unless you have a better offer..."
- On the one hand, her lack of judginess IS refreshing. And she really did seem to be trying to be nice at the Dot, didn't she? Do you think Bianca's tough exterior guards a soft and chewy center?
- But... what does it say about her that she let Drew's demeaning rant roll off her back? And the "unless you have a better offer" thing... it's such a self-deprecating thing to say, when you think about it. 'I know I'm not much but, it's not like you can do any better,' basically.
I'm thinking Bianca really could have benefitted from that mandated self-esteem seminar. Even though that whole thing was still totally sexist. 'Cause, please... where was Drew's self-esteem seminar?
5) Ooh... DOES Drew really need a self-esteem seminar? His trouble with his grades; his self-destructive choices; the way he seems to really need the attention of girls to feel important... I'm seeing a pattern. Thoughts?
- Posted on 02/25/2011 by Lisa
If you were wondering about any of the songs you heard on this week's Degrassi, here you go! Info on all the songs, including commentary from the Degrassi Music Team (the quotes in italics) about how those songs ended up there!
"The Fool" by Santa Clara
Bianca and Drew try to fit in at The Dot.
Check the Degrassi page for a sample.
"Tim Langley came across our radar and we shook hands in The Library Bar in Toronto's Royal York Hotel in 2009. Since then his band, Santa Clara, has taken off, and we're real happy to have their song in the show. The placement is awesome, over three scenes, tying them all together in a nice bow."
"Black Candles" by Kae Sun
When Riley wakes up and tries to talk to his mom.
"This is actually a very sad song -- go read the lyrics and find out what it's about. It's message merits investigation into the song and the artist, and it's tone and mood set it to Riley's scene, but the two have little else to do with each other. We really wanted Black Candles to see the light of day, and think the Degrassi fans will give it it's proper moment."
"Your Room" by The New Rags
While Bianca and Drew are talking to Ron Ron.
"The New Rags are a wicked fun indie band from NYC -- check out their rendition of "The Cascades". We needed some fun in the Ravine, but some edgy, non-linear fun, because we all know what everyone down there is up to..."
"Licence Plate Eyes" by Steve Poltz
While Drew and Bianca are hanging out in the ravine.
"We won't rag on Drew for taking shrooms -- that's between him and his mom (ouch). Instead, we'll try to get into his head -- and this song puts us right in that zone at that moment (for better or worse!). PSA moment: Drugs are bad. But Steve Poltz is awesome."
- Posted on 02/24/2011 by Lisa
Is Alli's new friendship with Malaika more trouble than it's worth? Check out the first scene of The Way We Get By, pt. 2 and decide for yourself:
Alli and Malaika do have a lot in common -- but is that a good thing? Where do you think their friendship is headed?
Want to see the rest of the episode? Watch TeenNick, FRIDAY NIGHT AT 9pm ET!
- Posted on 02/23/2011 by Mary
Argiris Karras, aka Argy, aka Riley on Degrassi, seems just as relaxed as can be backstage at this photo shoot:
And he looks pretty relaxed in front of the camera at that photo shoot, too. Also: rather huggable.
- Posted on 02/22/2011 by Mary
"God, [x]'s so beautiful. Stupid, but beautiful." -- ???
Ooh... who do you think says it on Friday's new Degrassi ep? And who are they saying it about? Drop a guess in the comments...
- Posted on 02/21/2011 by Mary
The digital version's been out for a few weeks but the CD version of the Degrassi: The Boiling Point soundtrack drops tomorrow (Tuesday), fyi. You can pre-order now if you prefer having something to shove directly into your car stereo's mouth.
- Posted on 02/21/2011 by Lisa
Who wants to see a few photos from the new episode of Degrassi that airs this Friday? Ziley fans, that's who.
Sneak peek pics from Friday's new episode of Degrassi, The Way We Get By, pt. 2, are up! Check out the whole batch, right here.
whoozbad01 says "seeing Ziley together again is so perfect!" Do you think Riley's mom will ever feel that way?
- Posted on 02/19/2011 by Mary
Just when Riley and Zane are really starting to figure out their relationship... life comes crashing down on them.
I'm curious: how much privacy do your parents give you when you have friends over... would they have knocked before coming in?