- Posted on 02/18/2011 by Mary
If you were wondering about any of the songs you heard on this week's Degrassi, here you go! Info on all the songs, including commentary from the Degrassi Music Team (the quotes in italics) about how those songs ended up there!
"Time to Win" by Down With Webster
From the basketball game at the beginning of the ep.
Check the Degrassi page for a sample.
"We love, love, love Down With Webster - we had to have them in Degrassi. We tried this over a bunch of scenes until this one landed - and it couldn't have looked better. Another rocking song to score Drew's life at Degrassi."
"So Easy" by Gina Cutillo
Alli and Malaika make "friends".
"Gina caught up with Stephen Stohn on twitter and offered up her music. The song made its way to us and then into the cut. Just goes to show you, if you never try, you neverwin!"
"Breakdown" by Ketch Harbour Wolves
From the scene when Drew and Bianca talk about their past... and end up making out.
"Ketch Harbour Wolves are sincerely, genuinely nice gentlemen, and as their band name suggests, their music is as warm and inviting as the picturesque image of a distant wolf howling to a distant moon. Wrapped in a sepia tone of guitar reverb, this song and its lyrics give us shivers still. It brings a little maturity to the otherwise immature Drew and Bianca."
"Chewed Up" by Gloria Cycles
From Riley and Zane's little talk.
"We were just looking for fun and a little silliness, and this song fit the bill. We love the vocals and the lyrics are perfect for Drew's shenanigans. Just a ton of fun. "
"Gasoline Handshake" by The British Columbians
From the last basketball game in the episode.
"A dirty rock song for this gritty scene, The British Columbians deliver angst and uncertainty - but we know Drew's going to win, right? Another point for the Degrassi editors who championed this handshake and lit it on fire."
- Posted on 02/16/2011 by Mary
If all that future civilizations unearthed about Luke Bilyk were this quickie interview with him backstage at a Degrassi photo shoot, at least they would know that Luke Bilyk is a dude who likes lunch, and likes to scare people.
Also, here, have a nice big picture of him. That one in your locker is getting kind of ratty around the edges.
- Posted on 02/15/2011 by Mary
"I'm too bored to argue." -- ???
Someone's gonna say it on a brand new ep of Degrassi: In Too Deep this Friday at 9... who do you think it'll be? Set the scene for us in the comments...
- Posted on 02/15/2011 by Mary
One in four people under 18 lives in a family affected by alcohol abuse or alcoholism. Most of those people know what it's like to HATE IT when a parent drinks -- to feel embarrassed to bring friends over, to feel anxiety about their parent's unpredictable behavior, or to feel like they have to take care of their parent instead of their parent taking care of them.
Today, TeenNick is showing this Nick News special called Under the Influence; it's about the different experiences the children of alcoholics have when their parents drink, and the different ways some have found to get through it.
You can watch the whole thing right here:
If you have the same problem in your family, NACOA (The National Association for the Children of Alcoholics) has a very important message for you:
It's not your fault.
You can't control your parent's drinking.
And you're not alone.
Even though you can't control someone else's drinking, you CAN still help yourself -- to have a better and safer life regardless of what they do. Even if the alcoholic never changes, you can still be OK.
1) You can reach out for help -- talk to a trusted adult like a grandparent, aunt, uncle, a friend's parent, or someone at school like a teacher, school counselor, or nurse.
3) You can join a support group -- your school counselor can help you find one. Support groups are a great way to meet other people who are going through the same thing you are, and to help each other through the hard times. One example is Alateen; here's a link to some basic questions and answers about what Alateen is about.
4) You can educate yourself by reading this Q&A from NACOA about what alcoholism is.
And if you have a friend who's going through this, send them a link to this page, OK?
- Posted on 02/14/2011 by Mary
- Posted on 02/14/2011 by Lisa
Here's a romantic topic for debate, since it is Valentine's Day and all. Do you believe two people can fall in love right away -- from the very first moment they meet?
For example: Alli and Drew. They felt an instant attraction, but was it love, or were they just hot for each other?
What about Eli and Clare? Did Eli step out of his hearse and right into Clare's heart? They definitely felt *something* when he picked up her broken glasses and told her he had pretty eyes... but it's tough to say if it was love.
Do you think it's possible to love someone before you know anything about what they're like as a person?
Maybe humans have love instincts and we can sense whether someone is right for us. But even if we DO feel an instant connection -- does it mean anything? Or is love more meaningful if it develops over time?
Has anyone out there experienced love at first sight? If not, what's the closest you've been?
This post is sponsored by Beastly, in theaters March 4th (PG-13).
- Posted on 02/11/2011 by Mary
If you haven't watched the hour long premiere of Degrassi: In Too Deep.... one, what's wrong with you, and two, thank heavens you can watch the whole thing in HD on this site. What would you do without us?
SPOILERS BELOW UNLESS YOU'VE WATCHED MMKAY?
* FADAM! Orrr... not? What do you think of them as a couple? How angry do you think Fiona is about the whole intervention thing? How much better does he look in Declan's clothes than he did in the baggy stuff?
* Dr. Chris and Anya. Hrm. He's into LARPing! And Renaissance Faire! Match made in heaven. And also he's finished med school while she's not even out of high school. What do you think the prognosis is for their future? Does it creep you out that he's going to wait for her to be 18, or do you think it shows some dignity and respectability?
* Dave and Sadie. Aww, Dave! She's adorbs! We're so glad Dave finally met a girl and didn't completely permanently screw it up. What are your thoughts on taller girl/shorter guy couplings? (We here in TeenNick blog land are 100% pro, for what its worth.)
* "Everyone knows the rule is half your age plus seven." What are your personal limits for how much younger or older of a person you'd consider dating?
* "She'd kill me for giving this to you, but after all you've done..." Holly J!! You can't just go around handing out pages from people's journals to other people! Why were you even reading Fiona's journal in the first place?! Still... I'm glad Adam got to read that.
- Posted on 02/11/2011 by MaryOur new "Exclusives" tab can only be seen by our favorite friends... the ones who Like us! Check it out!
- Posted on 02/09/2011 by Mary
One time, Degrassi's Fiona discussed her loaner Louboutins behind the scenes at a photo shoot... my hand to God it happened. Look! There's proof!
- Posted on 02/09/2011 by Mary
"You better be worth the wait." -- ???
Whose mouth do you think THAT's gonna come out of? Find out Friday at 9p et...