Melinda's Journey To KCA: One Day to Go!
A sneak peek of Melinda's KCA Orange Carpet look!
The Kids' Choice Awards are only a day away and I'm so excited! If you've ever wondered what it's like to get ready for a big event, I'm giving you an inside look into the routine that I'll be following for the big day! But you don't need an Orange Carpet to use these tips in your own life. Follow some of my tried and true tricks for your next big event (hello, prom and graduation!).
Before a big event I make sure that:
- I get my nails done. I usually attempt to coordinate my outfits and my nails, a nude colour is always a safe go-to. For this year's KCA, I got some amazing nail art done! It took three hours (and no wonder, because they are all bejeweled), but it was totally worth it! I've never seen such intricate nail design.
- I have my eyebrows waxed a couple of days before the event just in case there is any redness or swelling. It's also important to not wear makeup right after waxing because your pores are open and they can get clogged by the makeup!
- I avoid makeup for the day prior, if possible, to let my skin breathe. Since I have to wear makeup everyday on the Degrassi set, it's great to give my skin a break. On a day like the Kids' Choice Awards, where there are constant stage makeup and touch-ups for the photo-ops and Orange Carpet, it's good to prepare myself!
- I moisturize my skin as much as possible. I have dry skin and being in a studio all day filming doesn't help. Depending on what kind of skin you have, it's important to compensate with lots of moisture treatments!
- I drink A LOT of water! Did you know that only three percent of the water you drink goes to the maintenance of your skin? The rest is for your body. Extra hydration is key to looking fresh on the carpet. It truly is nature's best remedy.
- And finally, I get a good night's sleep! Nothing kills a fun event more than exhaustion! The days are long and you want to be on your game, so having a well-rested and sharp mind is so important!
But above all, I try to remember that with events like these, the anticipation is everything and then it's over before you know it! Don't forget to enjoy it—these big moments in your life are special for a reason and you have to savor every second. Sure, the dress, the hair and the makeup are all part of the fun, but it's the memories you make that stay with you forever!
Hailing from Canada's capital, Ottawa, Melinda Shankar joined the cast of Degrassi in its eighth season as Sav Bhandari's little sister, Alli. Prior to this, she did runway and print modeling. Melinda's passion for beauty has led her to a new position as CEO of Miss Conception image consulting.