Blog | Teennick Top 10
- Posted on 12/27/2013 by Rachel1016
The Countdown to the New Year is ON! We're closing out 2013 by taking a look back at all of the amazing things that happened this year, and whether you've got big plans or are looking forward to a low-key hangout with your BBFs (furry and otherwise), we've got a few tips for making this New Year's one to remember!
And don't forget to join us for TeenNick Top 10's New Years Eve Countdown! Starting at 11pm ET on Tuesday, December 31st, special guests Echosmith and 4Count will join our Master of Ceremonies Mr. Nick Cannon for a night of music, memories, and FUN!
1.Decorate! New Year's Eve is one of the only acceptable holidays where using sparkles, glitter, and confetti in excess is allowed. String up the streamers, throw some confetti around, and blow up the balloons � the more color, the better!
2.Pile on NYE swag! What other time of year can you wear glasses, top hats, and chain necklaces with giant numbers on them? Yes, New Year's accessories are ridiculous and over the top, but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
3. Make some noise! The louder, the better � it's time to celebrate! Grab those noisemakers, horns, hand clappers, whistles, blowouts, and party poppers and start 2014 on a loud note!
4. Dress up! Look, we love sweatpants as much as the next couch potato, but it's New Year's Eve. Why not slip on some fancy shoes, wear that nice crisp shirt, or sprinkle yourself in fun jewelry?! Or, if you're looking for something even subtler, swipe a little glitter on your face or mix it in with your nail polish or lip-gloss. Whether you're going out to a full-blown fancy party or ringing in the New Year from the comfort of your couch, those little additions will totally help put you in the spirit.
5. Dance! Whether you're a twerker, a mosher, or a sidestep shuffler, it's one of the best days of the year to dance like no one's watching! Play DJ and pick your favorite songs from the year OR have your friends each pick five songs and create an uber playlist that all will enjoy!
6. Chow down! Have some of your friends bring their favorite small dish to share. Crowd-pleasing thought starters include chips and dip, pigs in a blanket, or puppy chow! Not only will you spend less time prepping for the party but you'll be sure to have a great sampling of appetizers to keep everyone satisfied throughout the night.
7. Game on! Let's face it; everyone's got a little competitive spirit in them. Dust off those board games from the closet or show off your Dance Dance Revolution skills. Either way, your night is bound to end in laughs. It's a win-win!
8. Traditions for life! Did you know the Spaniards have a New Years Eve tradition of eating 12 grapes (one for every chime of the clock) at midnight? Or did you know that in Mexico, it' is tradition to write down a list of the bad events over the past 12 months and then throw it into a fire to help remove any negative energy at the start of 2014? Why not partake in some worldly traditions or make a new one up with your friends!
9. Capture the moment…and save it for the next day! Posting photos is so second nature now that sometimes we forget to actually live in the moment and enjoy it. When you're snapping pics, remember to put the phone down once in a while and enjoy your company. Post them the next day when people are more likely to see them�and when you can take your time choosing cool filters and writing funny captions.
10. Show the love! You know it's coming so there is no excuse to not be properly prepared when that midnight kiss comes along. Pop a mint, brush your teeth, apply that Chap Stick, do whatever you need to ensure that the first kiss (or hug with your BFF) of 2014 will be the best!
- Posted on 12/20/2013 by TeenNickBlogger
Every once in a while, a band will come along and make you want to know everything about them. So let the YouTube stalking commence, y'all, because we are officially obsessed with TeenNick Top 10's newest Fresh Artist, Echosmith (and think you should be, too).
The indie-pop band of siblings, otherwise known as Jamie, Noah, Graham and Sydney Sierota, burst onto the scene this year with their debut album, Talking Dreams. We caught up with Echosmith to get some exclusive insight on their unique sound, their already blossoming career, and what lies ahead for the new year! Check it out below!
Congratulations on your incredible debut album Talking Dreams! How many months (or years) was it in the making?
Thank you! We are so very proud of it. Really, we've been working our entire lives up to this moment, releasing our first record. We spent two years writing specifically for it, and eventually came to the 12 [songs] on the record. We learned a ton while preparing and writing for this record.
You've cited several (awesome) 80's rock bands like Joy Division and The Smiths as your influences. What sort of influences contribute to the pop half of your indie-pop sound?
We love pop songs. Peter Gabriel is a huge influence on us, as is Coldplay and Fleetwood Mac. They all wrote/write such amazing pop songs, and it's something that we try our best to do as well.
Your single "Tonight We're Making History" was featured in a promo for the Summer Olympics on NBC. What was that experience like? Was that one of the first defining moments of your career?
Having our song on the Olympics was such a fun experience. It was our first time hearing ourselves on television, making it a very momentous occasion.
What is your songwriting process like? Does one person typically come to the rest of the group with ideas, or do you collaborate differently every time?
It changes per song. We don't force rules [or make] it only come from one person. We love getting different points of view and working on them together. We think it gives each song a different mood.
Many of your songs deal with universally relatable things like love, acceptance, and growing up. "Cool Kids," in particular, talks about the tough parts of adolescence. What message did you hope to send with that song?
"Cool Kids" is a story of feeling alone and being an outsider. We think it's a feeling that we all go through at times in our lives, and is a very difficult subject to talk about. With this song, we wanted to let out in the open that feeling, but also the hope past it. Often times, those [people who] have everything, have very little. There are so many beautiful unique things about us all, and we should show it. That was our message with "Cool Kids."
What was your favorite part about being on the Warped Tour 2013? Did you become close with any of the other bands?
We loved Warped Tour. Overall it was such a different experience for us [because] only our guitarist had been, and that was only once. We jumped right into a world that we really never experienced before. We got to meet so many amazing people through it. We made friends with bands like Alvarez Kings, Hands like Houses, Tonight Alive and pretty much everyone else.
Now that you've released your album, what's next for Echosmith?
Touring! We love playing live, and that has been an amazing way of getting our music out to people. So you can expect plenty of shows, and I'm sure we will always be writing through it all.
If you want to catch more of Echosmith, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And, of course, don't forget to tune in tonight at 10PM ET!
- Posted on 12/18/2013 by baileyb2112
You guys showed Katy Perry some unconditional love on last Friday's episode of TeenNick Top 10, helping her steal the #1 spot from Selena with her video for "Unconditionally!" Plus, countdown favorites Imagine Dragons climbed to #2 with their video for "Demons," leaving Selena to settle for the bronze.
You're not going to want to miss this week's all new episode, because you're in for a VERY special treat! The iconic trio of brothers known as HANSON will be gracing us with their presence at TeenNick headquarters, mmmbopping all the way. This will be the last episode of 2013 before TeenNick Top 10 takes a break for the holidays, so make sure to tune in! We'll see you in the New Year!
Here's last week's full countdown:
1. Katy Perry "Unconditionally"
2. Imagine Dragons "Demons"
3. Selena Gomez "Slow Down"
4. Zedd f/ Hayley Williams "Stay the Night"
5. Ariana Grande f/ Big Sean "Right There"
6. One Direction "Story Of My Life"
7. One Republic "Counting Stars"
8. Wonder Broz "What They Call That"
9. Jason Derulo "Marry Me"
10. A Great Big World "Say Something"
If you want to see all of your favorite artists on the countdown this Friday, vote NOW for this week's episode right here! As always, don't forget to check out all of the songs in the running, including this week's new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist! Take a break from all that Christmas music and rock out to these jams instead!
Can Katy Perry hold on to that lead, or will your votes crown a new champion? Find out the results on TeenNick Top 10 this Friday at 10 PM ET. Until then, let us know what you thought of Friday's countdown in the comments!
- Posted on 12/05/2013 by TeenNickBlogger
Alright, let's state the obvious: sibling boy bands have been around for a minute. In the '90s we swooned over the golden-locked Hanson brothers, and the early aughts brought on the global sensation that was Jonas. But there's a new brotherly trio on deck, and they're ready to separate themselves from their (albeit legendary) predecessors.
Meet AJR: the three-piece indie-pop outfit comprised of, logically, Adam, Jack and Ryan. They're already armed with an impressive YouTube following and a smash hit (which, BTW, features our very own pineapple-dwelling, squarepantsed sea sponge), but AJR are about to make even more noise…and we're not just talking about annoying neighbors from their New York City living room. We caught up with the boys to talk about their growing career, their songwriting process, and what it's like to be in a family band!
How do you collaborate on music? Does one of you primarily write most of the songs, or is it a joint effort?
We've been working together for such a long time that the writing and production of the music has become very smooth. Ryan is the primary writer and producer, but the process of creating music is very much a collaborative one. After eight years of developing AJR, we all have a shared vision of the type of band we want to be, and the type of impact we want to have on the industry.
How has growing up in New York City influenced your sound?
New York City is such an icon for singer/songwriters like Simon and Garfunkel and Leonard Cohen, and even for contemporary artists like Vampire Weekend and Fun.; some of our inspirations. We're born and bred in this city, and it inspires our aesthetic as a band, our lyrics, and even the industrial electronic elements of our sound.
Your track "I'm Ready" samples SpongeBob Squarepants. How did you decide to include that?
Jack came up with the idea to use the Spongebob sample in a dubstep song. He brought it up to us by saying, "someone like Skrillex should sample Spongebob," and our next thought was, "why couldn't we do it?" Spongebob was a big part of our childhood, and we thought that it was a cool little throwback to our fan-base's childhood too.
Your music has an awesome ability to be both fresh and eclectic but also undeniably catchy. Do you look to different eras and genres for inspiration?
Thanks so much. That's a big reason the Beach Boys are such an inspiration to us; they were able to create music that was musically sophisticated, but present it in a catchy, sing-along-able way that was accessible to the public. To answer your question: yes, we take huge influence from the music of the 1950's and 60's and combine those influences with modern and innovative production.
Some of your songs feature what you call "spokestep." Can you tell us a little more about what that is and how you use it in your music?
Spokestep is a sort of sub-genre we're developing, and we've sprinkled it into a bunch of the tracks you'll hear when the album drops. The sound of dubstep is created by taking a distorted bass-line and messing with it over a beat. This can mean cutting the audio up, or putting filters on it. We thought we could take that same approach with vocal melodies: and that's essentially what spokestep is.
You guys are getting ready to release your album independently. What advice would you give other artists who release their music without the help of a major label?
The worst advice we ever got was to try and be like other artists. We've been in so many meetings over the years where we were advised to be more like the popular bands of the time. I think that an advantage of going the indie route is that we're our own bosses, and we can be very authentic in our music, our images, and our videos. So the best advice we can give to another artist is: develop and showcase the unique parts of yourself.
Out of the three of you, who is the most likely to goof around when you're rehearsing?
Jack is probably the most likely to goof off. It's good to have that kind of energy around though; it can get really intense working in a little apartment like ours.
What's the best part about being in a band with your brothers?
It's great to be able to be perfectly honest with each other. For us, the workday doesn't end at 5pm. We are constantly pushing ourselves forward, and an important part of this growth is being honest with each other about all aspects of the band.
AJR, everybody! There's only one question left: what will their fan army name be? AJRmy?! (Don't lie, that's pretty good.)
If you want to catch more of these guys, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And, of course, don't forget to tune in this Friday at 10PM ET!
- Posted on 12/04/2013 by baileyb2112
On the last episode of TeenNick Top 10, we featured a very special HALO Awards-themed music video countdown. Each video represented all of the amazing artists who have taken part in the HALO movement! Austin Mahone, Fall Out Boy, Taylor Swift, and of course, Mr. Chairman Nick Cannon himself helped us celebrate all those who Help And Lead Others.
This week, YOUR votes determine the countdown! Will Miley Cyrus' video for "Wrecking Ball" came in at #1 again? Will Newcomers Wonder Broz and Travie McCoy make their way to the top of the countdown? It's up to you!
Catch an all-new episode and a fresh countdown this Friday, featuring a VERY special guest-- Avril Lavigne! There's nothing complicated about this...you don't want to miss it!
- Miley Cyrus, "Wrecking Ball"
- Lady Gaga, "Applause"
- Avicii f/ Aloe Blacc, "Wake Me Up"
- Selena Gomez, "Slow Down"
- Nick Cannon, "Me Sexy"
- Imagine Dragons, "Demons"
- Ariana Grande f/ Big Sean, "Right There"
- Icona Pop, "All Night"
- Wonder Broz, "What They Call That"
- Travie McCoy f/ Jason Mraz, "Rough Water"
If you want to see your favorite videos make the next countdown, vote NOW for this week's episode right here!
As always, don't forget to check out all of the songs in the running, including this week's new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist! Jam out to this awesome mix!
Will Queen Miley hold on to her place at the top, or will another artist push her out of the #1 spot? You decide! Find out the results on TeenNick Top 10 this Friday at 10 PM ET.
- Posted on 11/14/2013 by baileyb2112
On last Friday's episode of TeenNick Top 10, Avicii pushed Lady Gaga out of the top spot with his song "Wake Me Up," featuring Aloe Blacc. But, the countdown still featured a dose of girl power as Miley Cyrus held on to the #2 spot with her smash hit, "Wrecking Ball," Lady Gaga's "Applause" took the the third spot, and Katy Perry "Roar"-ed into fourth place!
Don't miss a new countdown of fresh artists on this week's episode of TeenNick Top 10, welcoming special guests The Fray!! They'll melt your heart!
1. Avicii f/ Aloe Blacc, "Wake Me Up"2. Wrecking Ball, "Miley Cyrus"3. Lady Gaga, "Applause"4. Katy Perry, "Roar"5. Selena Gomez, "Slow Down"6. Paramore, "Still Into You"7. Nick Cannon, "Me Sexy"8. 4Count, "She Aint You"9. Imagine Dragons, "Demons"10. Icona Pop, "All Night"
Want to see your favorite artists make the countdown this Friday? Vote NOW for this week's episode right here!
As always, don't forget to check out all of the songs in the running, including this week's new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist! It's the perfect mix to jam to!
Can Avicii stay at number one, or will your votes decide a new winner? Find out on TeenNick Top 10 this Friday at 10 PM ET. Until then, tell us what you thought of Friday's countdown in the comments!
- Posted on 10/31/2013 by baileyb2112
Lady Gaga deserves a round of applause after her video's winning performance on last week's TeenNick Top 10! Her video for "Applause" moved into the #1 spot, while Miley Cyrus wrecked it with "Wrecking Ball" at #2! OK, that's enough of the bad puns...
1. Lady Gaga � Applause2. Miley Cyrus � Wrecking Ball3. Katy Perry � Roar4. Avicii f/ Aloe Blacc � Wake Me Up5. Selena Gomez � Slow Down6. Paramore � Still Into You7. Taylor Swift f/ Ed Sheeran � Everything Has Changed8. 4Count � She Aint You9. Nick Cannon � Me Sexy10. Icona Pop � All Night
Want to make sure your favorite videos land a spot on the next countdown? Vote NOW for this week's episode right here!
As always, don't forget to check out all of the songs in the running, including this week's new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist! It's the perfect mix to jam out to!
Will Lady Gaga keep her title as queen of the countdown or will another worthy competitor knock her off her thrown? Find out on TeenNick Top 10 this Friday at 10 PM ET. Until then, tell us what you thought of Friday's countdown in the comments!
- Posted on 10/23/2013 by baileyb2112
We know you've been waiting, but we have good news...TeenNick Top 10 is BACK! The new episode will feature all the music videos you love, a few new and exciting nominees!
Who will you vote to the top this week? Will it be an old favorite, or will a new star steal the show? This week, you can show TNT 10 superstar Selena Gomez some love for her new video for "Slow Down," give Lady Gaga your loudest "Applause" or try to vote Degrassi's own Drake straight to the top for his video "Hold On We're Going Home"!
As always, if you want to see the any of the videos you love climb to the top of the countdown, vote NOW for this week's episode right here!
And don't forget to rock out to all of the songs in the running, including this week's new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist! Don't miss these jams!
Which of these stellar videos will take the top spot this week? The choice is yours! Find out on TeenNick Top 10 this Friday at 10 PM ET. Until then, tell us what you think of this week's nominees in the comments below!
- Posted on 09/26/2013 by baileyb2112
Last week on TeenNick Top 10, you helped One Direction stay on top with their hilarious and elaborate video for "Best Song Ever" and made sure another band of boys kept "We Are" at the #2 spot! Plus, Lana Del Ray still took the #5 spot with her song "Summertime Sadness," reminding us all that the summer is, indeed, sadly over.
1. One Direction � Best Song Ever2. Big Time Rush � We Are3. Austin Mahone � What About Love4. Justin Timberlake � Take Back the Night5. Lana Del Rey � Summertime Sadness6. 4Count � She Aint You7. Demi Lovato � Made In the USA8. Bonnie McKee � American Girl9. Taylor Swift f/ Ed Sheeran � Everything Has Changed10. 5th Harmony � Miss Movin' On
Want to see the videos you love climb to the top of the countdown next week? Vote NOW for this week's episode right here!
As always, don't forget to check out all of the songs in the running, including this week's new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist! Don't miss these jams!
Can One Direction hold on to their spot for another week, or will their song no longer be the best song ever?? The choice is yours! Find out on TeenNick Top 10 this Friday at 10 PM ET. Until then, tell us what you thought of Friday's countdown in the comments!
- Posted on 09/20/2013 by Rachel1016
It's not every week that we get so lucky to have two (well, technically, THREE) artists join us on TeenNick Top 10! This week, we pulled out all the stops to bring you special appearances by some of music's heaviest hitters. That's right, Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz and the dynamic/adorable duo, Tegan & Sara, will be in the house!
Join us tonight at 10PM ET, and don't forget to VOTE VOTE VOTE for your favorite videos!
Check out those pearly whites.
Hi Tegan! Hi Sara! *waves*