Blog | alli
- Posted on 05/05/2011 by Mary
Alli's nose, meet Clare's beeswax.
This may or may not have just been some Munro-lust working its way into people's judgment about the E-Clare break-up, but this post on the Degrassi board got me thinking...
"Who Does Alli Think She Is? Excuse me, but Eli and Alli haven't even talked this whole season, yet Alli has had such a big influence on Eli and Clare's relationship!! Like don't try and put ur 2 cents in Alli!" - Kira<3'sMunroChambers
I know in real life, friends can get put in some pretty uncomfortable predicaments when they donate their opinions about a friend's relationship. Such as:
1) You tell your friend that their bf/gf is bad for them; they get angry at you instead of the bf/gf... even if you're right. Sometimes because you're right -- because it's too hard to admit.
2) Your friend complains and complains and complains about their bf/gf. They finally break up. You say things like "good riddance" and "they were never good enough for you" and "I always hated them." Then they get back together... and now you're the friend who hates their bf/gf. Oy.
3) You tell your friend, "I don't know, the way they did that to you seems pretty manipulative/shady/whatever." Next fight your friend has with their bf/gf, they're like "Well my friend YOUR NAME HERE says that that was manipulative." Guess who gets an earful from the bf/gf next time you bump into each other?
But... think about Alli's side of that E-Clare thing. Your best friend is in a relationship she doesn't want to be in anymore, but is having trouble ending it because she feels guilty, doesn't want to hurt him, etc. Isn't it kind of the job of a friend to say, "Hey, you need to look after yourself here"... to support your friend who's having trouble doing something difficult but necessary?
So... what do you say when a friend is going through something with their bf/gf. Weigh in? Keep your mouth shut? How do you handle it with YOUR friends?
- Posted on 04/08/2011 by Mary
THERE ARE SPOILERS YONDER, 'NEATH FIONA'S FACE, but fear not, for you can watch all of Degrassi: In Too Deep - Chasing Pavements, pt. 2 online in HD right now by clicking on those words there. When yr done, let's talk:
Fiona on Degrassi: In Too Deep, Chasing Pavements pt. 2
1) Alli: "I don't know, how do you trick kids into studying?" Simpson: "You don't trick them! You just hope they're going to do it on their own accord. You always hope...." Haha poor Mr. Simpson. What are your true motivations for doing well in school? Your own personal growth? Not getting in trouble? Getting free tokens at Chuck E Cheese?
2) I know a lot of us were pulling for Fadam because, like @rediwings32 tweeted to us @teennick:
"I so want Adam to get the girl. He deserves it and Fiona deserves someone who will make her happy and treat her right."
I was totally with you on that, rediwings32. But now that we know what Fiona really wants is to be with a girl... I think things have turned out for the best. Adam wants someone who will like him not for "being stuck in a girl's body", but for being the funny, sensitive, loyal, and understanding guy that he is. He's really only begun the process of transitioning from F to M... and I have a lot of hope that someday, he'll find a girl who loves him for who he really is -- a guy. What do you guys think of how things turned out this week?
Also, because I know there's some confusion out there (I saw some in the comments last week): Adam doesn't want a lesbian girlfriend (like Fiona), because Adam isn't a lesbian -- he's a guy. A straight guy. If he were gay, he'd be into other guys (as some transgender guys are). He was born in a girl's body, but that body feels, at the core of his being, completely wrong for him. So Adam is now living and will continue to live as a guy, and he wants to date a girl who's into guys, because that's what his gender identity is. He's a he.
3) Alli and Bianca giving each other a pound rather than a pounding... did you ever think you'd see the day?
4) OWEN! God! When Anya was lamenting to Chantay that maybe she was carrying a grudge about the way Owen treated Riley and Zane, all I could think was, "Uh... that's a valid grudge." I mean, he's never apologized for it and it offends Anya (and me) (not to mention offending and injuring Zane) (AND not to mention what he did to Adam) so... seems like a valid thing to hold against someone IMO!
So I guess I wasn't that surprised to see that Owen did not indeed "get it" that touching girls in a super-familiar way without their permission is gross, wrong, and gross. And wrong. Here's something I saw in the comments of last week's Degrassi Breakdown, from KayKay[:
"I had a similar yet more intense situation as Anya in 8th grade; I was too ashamed to tell my parents, much less any teacher. I got over it, but to this day, it's still something that haunts me. Girls who get sexually harassed shouldn't tolerate it, they should be straight up with the guy, and if he doesn't stop, then the girl should definitely tell a parent or teacher.We can't let creeps like them get away with it."
5) "OK, why are there only two options for girls: either she likes you, or she's a bitch." - Anya MacPherson. YEAH ANYA! TELL HIM! How can someone -- girl or guy -- be like "I'm into you" and then if they're not interested be like, "Get over yourself"? I guess hurt feelings make people say nonsensical things sometimes.
- Posted on 04/01/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW THIS PICTURE! DON'T GET SPOILED! You can watch the full Catching Pavements, Pt. 1 episode here, and then let's process.
Fiona at Bobby's trial on Degrassi
1) If you were Fiona... would you have taken the $100,000 or insisted on going to trial?
2) Oh and how about when Fiona dropped a big fat kiss right on Holly J! Well, hello there, Fiona Coyne! What was your reaction?
3) So, about Owen: I know some of you think he's hot, but this whole episode he just made me go ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. I GUESS, if I'm being charitable... I mean like REALLY charitable... I can see how, in Owen's head, maybe he thought he was just "flirting" with Anya. Though, I think his idea of flirting is really messed up. (Touching someone's arms like that when you're not dating? Just... no. And making comments about wanting to be the CPR dummy? It's highly aggravating to me that a girl who's trying to get an education has to have every little thing she does sexualized.) ANYWAY. I found this handy dandy explanation of the differences between flirting and harassment. In it, we see that in cases of sexual harassment, "The contact was not invited or accepted." Of course, I also imagine that there are plenty of Owens out there who are not the most skilled at recognizing when someone is or isn't "inviting" them to flirt. So here's a really good tip from that website: "If somebody flirts and it is unwanted, ask him or her to stop. If they don't stop, it is considered harassment." Your school might have its own policy that goes into more detail, too. It's probably in your handbook.
4) Who here has dealt with "unwanted flirting" at school? What happened, and how uncomfortable did it make you feel? Did you tell them to stop or -- like Anya -- did you feel too embarrassed to say anything?
5) It looks like Anya did learn how to be honest about how she felt though... that was kind of impressive when she calmly (rather than deliberately cruelly) told Owen, "I don't like you like that, and I probably never will." Clearly it was an uncomfortable conversation, but now they both know exactly what's up. Have you ever had an honest conversation with someone about a one-way crush?
6) Alli and the Standardized Math Test -- eek, pressure's on Alli again, I guess! How much does your school freak out about the state assessment tests?
- Posted on 03/25/2011 by Mary
LOOK OUT, SPOILERS BELOW for those who missed out on the awesomeness. (Here's the full ep so you can be like the rest of us.) But if you've seen it, let's get chatty.
Holly J fell down went boom on Degrassi. She has a boo boo in her kidneys.
1) It's a good thing I never ran away because I have a feeling I'd fare just about as well as Alli -- I would totally try to ask someone for "Runaway 101" tips and end up getting jacked.
2) If your parents wanted your whole family to go to therapy together... would you be into it?
3) UP TOP, WESLEY! What do you guys think of Hannah? And should we call them Wannah? Weslah? I think I like Wannah. Anyway, a round of applause for a sweet guy finding a lovely girl. clap clap clap clap clap
4) You know what? It's interesting that Holly J didn't try to sabotage Chantay, since they were competing at that work study. It seems like the HJ of even a season ago totally would have. (It's also interesting that so many people out there speculated that Holly J might have diabetes, since it did turn out to be her kidneys... even if she got there in a really roundabout way.)
5) Also, who else here is guilty of totally trying to put off dealing with being sick because you were like "I don't have TIME to be sick." /me sighs, raises hand.
- Posted on 03/21/2011 by Mary
Alli isn't safe... on the next Degrassi: In Too Deep
The new Degrassi flipbook is in, with sneak peek pics from Friday's episode.
Take a look and drop your predictions for Alli, Holly J, and everyone else in the comments...
- Posted on 03/18/2011 by Mary
This blog has SPOILERS DOWN THERE so don't scroll down 'til you've watched the new episode. You've been warned. If you've already watched... we got some talking to do.
1) Reading your "yes, I am as stressed as Holly J" comments on yesterday's blog made me so worried! I mean Holly J is a fictional character and I'm worried for her too, but people! You! Real people! Take some serious "100% unscheduled me time" this weekend! It's almost spring and you have to. I am hereby forcing you.
2) So, remember that scene where Alli was looking at her "facerange" and there was a mix of comments on it, where some people were showing concern and some people were like "I'm glad she's gone," or "the dress code is her fault"? That made me go ruh ruh like a dungeon dragon. They were just like "la la, I'm posting something funny on the Intornets that my friends will click 'like' on" rather than, "la la, a real human being is in so much emotional pain that they have put themselves in danger and I am making fun of it and kicking them while they're down." The internet sucks sometimes.
3) I love that 12 year old Wesley wrote 16 year old Wesley a note. I heard about this site where you can write an email to yourself in the future and it'll deliver it to you on the date you set. (OK... the internet rules sometimes, too.) I'm not gonna link to it right here because on the site, some people choose to make their letters public on the front page, and one I just saw has what we in the biz call "inappropriate language" but if that's ok with you, search the web for "Future Me".
Anyway, what did the you of four years ago think the you of today was going to be like? And were You of the Past wrong, or right, or somewhere in between?
4) I can't be the only person who was thinking the whole time "Omgomg what if Holly J is pregnant?" WHEW. Except, eek, 'cause if it's not that... whatever it is doesn't look good, either. What are your guesses about what's up?
5) "I stood next to a dude that stabbed a guy that everyone LOVED, and then I had to go to that guy's school." - Johnny DiMarco. You know... I never really thought about the fact that going to Degrassi must have been scary as hell for Johnny.
- Posted on 03/11/2011 by Mary
THERE ARE SPOILERS DOWN THERE! DON'T LOOK until you've watched the full episode here. Once yr caught up... we need to talk RIGHT NOW.
1) Critical line from Fitz tonight: "What I did was wrong, and I've changed. Eli never will and you know that." I have several questions:
a) Will Eli ever change (as in get over his temper, his grudge-holding, his pessimism about human nature)?
b) Should Eli ever change? Is he perfect as is or does he have some things to work on? In your opinion?
c) Has Fitz changed? Do you buy his conversion? Would you date him, or be cool with a friend of yours dating him?
2) Do you think religion is something that a couple (like Eli and Clare) can agree to disagree about, or is it the kind of thing you NEED to be on the same wavelength about?
3) Do you guys think Jenna and KC will make good parents? Which Teen Mom couple do you think they'd be most like?
4) Does Sav get his "Good Big Brother" badge back yet? You guys... I'm really scared for Alli. She's in such a vulnerable emotional state, not to mention being physically vulnerable out there... so many people might try to take advantage of her. It's stressing me out.
- Posted on 03/04/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS AHOY FOR DEGRASSI LAGGERS. Click here to watch the full episode if you missed it, and then let's have a little chat shall we?
Eli Goldsworthy, Fitz's number one fan, on Degrassi: In Too Deep "Jesus, Etc., pt. 1"
1) So. Was Clare right to accept Fitz' apology? And... was she right to chastise Eli ("That's all you can say?") when he didn't accept Fitz' apology?
2) "As your boyfriend my job is to protect you." - Eli. Hmm... true or false? Whose job is it -- if anyone's -- to protect whom in a relationship?
3) "The day I met drew is the day this all started." - Alli. Again, hmm... true or false? Well, actually Sav already pointed out that it's false -- Drew didn't exactly tell Alli to send those pics to DiMarco, frintance. BUT, that said... what percentage of Alli's Life Problems do you think are directly or indirectly Drew's fault? If she had never met Drew, what do you think her life would be like today?
4) "Who's on bass, Valdemort?" - Alli. Haha. What would you have done in Sav's position? How much should Drew and Alli's past weigh in to his decision?
4b) Also, if you were Sav, and Drew was off the table as a possibility for drummers... would you have picked:
- "I'M GONNA ROCK" guy. (Was that who Sav meant by "the heavy metal dude"?)
- the bang bang bang bang bangbangbang bangbangbang girl
- stick-dropping bandana guy or
- the beat boxer
5) So, Jenna is approximately a bajillion months pregnant. At this point... perhaps whipping out a skateboard was a touch idiotic but, is KC right that they need to be squeezing out every last bit of pre-baby fun before their lives change forever? Or... has that ship already sailed, and their lives have already changed forever whether he likes it or not?
- Posted on 02/27/2011 by Mary
"I have changed, but all this bad stuff keeps happening to me!"
Alli Bhandari and Malaika on Degrassi: In Too Deep
Oh, Ms. Alli. When her mom was just not buying the whole "It was Malaika's cigarette!" story, my fists were so clenched... there's nothing worse than being blamed for something you really truly didn't do. And it's true that Alli does seem to have grown up a lot.
But... it's also not like Alli's never done ANYTHING wrong...
How much do you think it's true that bad stuff "just keeps happening" to Alli, and how much of it is her fault -- does she invite trouble into her world?
- Posted on 02/25/2011 by Mary
DON'T LET ME SPOIL YOUR DEGRASSI! I couldn't live with myself!
Click here to watch Degrassi: In Too Deep, "The Way We Get By, pt. 2" online in HD first. Then let's talk:
Riley Stavros on Degrassi: In Too Deep
1) Wow. The Stavros' reaction to Riley being gay is intense. And doesn't it shed SO MUCH light on why he had such a hard time accepting himself? The way his mom just wanted to straight up pretend this wasn't happening... it's exactly what Riley did for so long, isn't it? Thank God for Zane -- he had a good point that Riley's come a long way. Here's hoping he's right that Riley's parents will, too.
2) Bianca v Jenna. So interesting how comfortable and righteous Jenna feels in that judgy seat. I know for some of you this is like choosing between Satan and Other Satan, but... if you absolutely HAD to pick one to be friends with... who would it be?
3) When your friends hate your bf/gf. I guess in this instance, the friends are pretty right about the girlfriend being a problem. If your friends were openly anti-your-bf/gf, would it make you wonder about the bf/gf, or the friends?
4) Bianca. She said a line this week that I found endlessly fascinating:
"I'm not your judgy friends. So are you coming? Unless you have a better offer..."
- On the one hand, her lack of judginess IS refreshing. And she really did seem to be trying to be nice at the Dot, didn't she? Do you think Bianca's tough exterior guards a soft and chewy center?
- But... what does it say about her that she let Drew's demeaning rant roll off her back? And the "unless you have a better offer" thing... it's such a self-deprecating thing to say, when you think about it. 'I know I'm not much but, it's not like you can do any better,' basically.
I'm thinking Bianca really could have benefitted from that mandated self-esteem seminar. Even though that whole thing was still totally sexist. 'Cause, please... where was Drew's self-esteem seminar?
5) Ooh... DOES Drew really need a self-esteem seminar? His trouble with his grades; his self-destructive choices; the way he seems to really need the attention of girls to feel important... I'm seeing a pattern. Thoughts?