Blog | anya
- Posted on 04/12/2013 by Lisa
Degrassi's on hiatus, but we couldn't let you go Degrassi-less, so we asked our Facebook fans to vote for their "favorite Degrassi freakout." The winner, by a long shot? Eli's on-stage breakdown during opening night of Love Roulette, as seen in "Extraordinary Machine." Watch the full episode online!
A few pictorial highlights from the episode:
Fiona is skeptical of Eli's last minute changes to the script.
Imogen wants Clare out of the picture.
Eli has the breakdown that was voted "Fan Favorite." :)
Owen shows off his pool skills.
Anya takes cocaine and bonds with a toilet.
Watch this week's Fan Favorite episode Extraordinary Machine online now, and if you haven't already, be sure to like TeenNick and Degrassi on Facebook. We'll post a new "Fan Favorite" poll next week, and we want your votes!
- Posted on 08/29/2011 by Mary
Only four episodes of Degrassi: Now or Never left! It's been a rollercoaster summer, and there's still some loop-de-loops to come.
And as it happens: Right now is also your Now or Never chance to watch ALL of this summer's episodes online via the Degrassi video page. Because after Labor Day weekend, we'll be back to only having six episodes at a time available on the site. SO DO IT NOW! WATCH 'EM UP! NOW OR NEVER!
Speaking of real life Now or Never moments... we asked some of the cast members to tell you about theirs! Here's #1: Samantha Munro, on her second-to-last day on the Degrassi set.
- Posted on 08/02/2011 by Lisa
SPOILERS BELOW. Don't read this post until AFTER watching "Paper Planes, Pt. 2."
Be nice to that girl in the mirror, Anya.
Yesterday I asked the wise, Degrassi-loving readers of this blog to give Anya some advice. Here's some of what came in:
"I'd ask her what she wants. If Anya wants to do coke um... I can't help that. If she wants freedom and happiness and stuff, I'm pretty sure we can find some other options. Especially since addiction and crashes are kind of the opposite of freedom and happiness." - Dulcinea
"I'd tell Anya to just stop for a minute and breathe. She's had so much stress in her life and she needs to just chill for a minute. Drugs really aren't the answer." - Krystal Marie♥
"I think that the best thing for Anya would be to just slowly get into a conversation about what happened, but not rush it and make her upset. Then when she's done telling you what happened just tell her that it's her decision to do what ever she wants but some things can really hurt her and mess her life up in the long run, and she has a lot of family and friends that want her around... they may seem like their telling her what to do but they just don't want to lose her." - I_<3_23
"I would sit her down and talk to her and let her cry on my shoulder and be the friend she really needs." - EastCoastSwag13
"I would just be there for her, I think she really needs a friend. Someone who doesn't tell her what to do. I don't think she would stop doing coke by being lectured or walked out on, she just needs a good influence, someone on her side." - Charlotte_sometimes311
I wish I could zap all of you lovely advice-givers into the Degrassi world. Your real-world friends are lucky to have you.
Meanwhile, as Anya said "Now!" to more coke, Fiona struggled with saying "Never" to champagne. Fiona seems determined to do what's best for herself (even if it means no more hooking up with Charlie), but that didn't look like an easy choice.
p.s. I miss Mr. Tuxedopants already.
- Posted on 08/01/2011 by Lisa
SPOILERS BELOW. Don't read this post until you've seen "Paper Planes, Pt. 1."
Anya thinks she's hit rock bottom, but has she?
At the very beginning of tonight's Degrassi, Anya's worried about her future and stressed about the talk she has to have with her parents. She says, "Well, things can't possibly get any worse," and uses that as an excuse to try cocaine for the first time.
... and then her life gets worse.
I get that Anya doesn't want everyone telling her what to do, but when you see someone messing up in a big way, it's hard to resist. If you were friends with Anya, what advice would you give her at this point in her life? Aside from, "Stop doing coke!"
Keep in mind that if you try to tell her what to do, she'll be just as mad at you as she is at Owen. Can you give someone advice without telling them what to do? I was mad at Owen for walking away, but like he says at the beginning of the ep, "I'm not your mom." Ultimately, it was Anya's bad decision, right?
Also: Tonight's episode may have skeeved me out more than any other Degrassi episode ever. A few years ago, when I lived in Brooklyn, my whole apartment building got bedbugs. For several months, I lived a nightmare of itchiness, insomnia, and paranoid over-cleaning. Bedbugs are reeeeaaally hard to get rid of, so I understand why Fiona freaked out. I seriously wish I could hug her right now, but then again... I'd rather run away from her at about a million miles per hour, because bedbugs are really easy to spread, and one might get on me during the hug.
Sorry, Fiona. My only advice is: "You'll get through this, with the help of lots of toxic chemicals."
But back to Anya. What would you tell her if you ran into her tomorrow morning?
- Posted on 07/22/2011 by Mary
DREW AND BIANCA: It took some pretty extraordinary circumstances to do them in, but now it appears that Drianca are over. I talked to Luke Bilyk and Alicia Josipovic about the break-up, and they were as bummed as some of you guys out there about it:
Alicia: We were SO UPSET.
Luke: After we did that scene, we were like, "So, Stefan. We're getting back together, right?"... It was really rude of Drew to do that, especially after all that Bianca's done for Drew.
What do you think... was Drew rude? And do you think they'll get back together?
KC AND JENNA: So, Jenna's stuck in a pile of poo-protectors while KC gets to go to school -- and now a job -- with friends. How do you think things will go for them long term? Will Kenna figure it out and stay together until baby Tyson is old and gray?
ANYA AND OWEN: After a rough week, Anya is going for a sure thing. Do you think the fact that Owen is so into her will be good for her self-esteem? Or will he find some way to make things even worse?
ANNND CAKE. The mighty mighty Lumberjake has ambled into our lives, eaten Mrs. Edwards' food, and kissed Clare just to shut her up. Do you think he really is as "low drama" as he seems?
NEXT WEEK: We meet Imogen! And Katie! Plus some Ziley story, and two of my favorite eps from all of Now or Never.
And don't forget -- the Degrassi mobile game has already had its first update (and I officially suck at Degrassi skee ball... but I'm really good at making Eli like me.) It's only $0.99 in the app store at iTunes - just search for Degrassi.
- Posted on 07/21/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN "IDIOTEQUE" YET...
So, starting off with some of your reactions to the Ownya hook-up from last night:
"I personallly think Owen is kind of hot, but he is such a pig. So this can go many ways." - TEENTITAN6
"I actually like Owen. I mean he seems like a nice guy, but he puts all his nasty on the outside." - AIYA222
That's actually a really good way to put it Aiya222 -- and it's probably true of all bullies, mean girls, etc.. They "put their nasty on the outside" to protect their vulnerable spots on the inside. But... I still can't stomach the fact that he threw Zane in a dumpster, threw Adam through a glass door, and probably defaced Riley's locker. Until he owns up to the wrongness of that stuff, he's on my bad side -- tender wounded inner child or no.
Mostly, I'm really feeling for Anya in this whole situation. Your best friends are basically gossiping about you, you make a stupid facebook (sorry; facerange) move because you're too flustered to think, you're still reeling from having no post-high school destination and rejection from a great guy, and your consolation prize guy utters such sweet nothings as: "You're not too good for me, Anya." Yowwwch. Crappy sitch for Anya all around.
Speaking of crappy sitches: My Bianca sympathy meter went through the ROOF on this ep. Of course, I still don't forget what she did to Adam either. But I think her wounded inner child is on full display. When Drew dumped her... oh my God! You could see her struggling to keep a brave face and being so eerily good at it... like it's a skill she's perfected.
And so sad that Drew thought this would mean a fresh start. That didn't seem to turn out so well.
Actually, question: Do you blame Bianca for what happened to Drew?
Drew lying in the snow post-attack on Degrassi
- Posted on 07/20/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED YET.
It's Anya's party and she'll hook up with Owen if she wants to.
ANYA! What? Why? Him? Really? Are you sure? You can't be sure. You're not sure. Right? You're just reeling from Dr. Chris. (Yet another Degrassi love lost to Africa! Forsooth!)
How do you guys think Anya will be feeling about this tomorrow? How do YOU feel about it right now?
Also: I love both Fiona and Holly J, but I felt so bad for Connor when they were giggling about him at Anya's party. I just want him to be happy... and to stop openly staring at girls' boobs.
And what do you think of KC's new job? What percent do you think he's doing it for Jenna and baby Ty, and what percent for himself and freedom?
- Posted on 04/08/2011 by Mary
THERE ARE SPOILERS YONDER, 'NEATH FIONA'S FACE, but fear not, for you can watch all of Degrassi: In Too Deep - Chasing Pavements, pt. 2 online in HD right now by clicking on those words there. When yr done, let's talk:
Fiona on Degrassi: In Too Deep, Chasing Pavements pt. 2
1) Alli: "I don't know, how do you trick kids into studying?" Simpson: "You don't trick them! You just hope they're going to do it on their own accord. You always hope...." Haha poor Mr. Simpson. What are your true motivations for doing well in school? Your own personal growth? Not getting in trouble? Getting free tokens at Chuck E Cheese?
2) I know a lot of us were pulling for Fadam because, like @rediwings32 tweeted to us @teennick:
"I so want Adam to get the girl. He deserves it and Fiona deserves someone who will make her happy and treat her right."
I was totally with you on that, rediwings32. But now that we know what Fiona really wants is to be with a girl... I think things have turned out for the best. Adam wants someone who will like him not for "being stuck in a girl's body", but for being the funny, sensitive, loyal, and understanding guy that he is. He's really only begun the process of transitioning from F to M... and I have a lot of hope that someday, he'll find a girl who loves him for who he really is -- a guy. What do you guys think of how things turned out this week?
Also, because I know there's some confusion out there (I saw some in the comments last week): Adam doesn't want a lesbian girlfriend (like Fiona), because Adam isn't a lesbian -- he's a guy. A straight guy. If he were gay, he'd be into other guys (as some transgender guys are). He was born in a girl's body, but that body feels, at the core of his being, completely wrong for him. So Adam is now living and will continue to live as a guy, and he wants to date a girl who's into guys, because that's what his gender identity is. He's a he.
3) Alli and Bianca giving each other a pound rather than a pounding... did you ever think you'd see the day?
4) OWEN! God! When Anya was lamenting to Chantay that maybe she was carrying a grudge about the way Owen treated Riley and Zane, all I could think was, "Uh... that's a valid grudge." I mean, he's never apologized for it and it offends Anya (and me) (not to mention offending and injuring Zane) (AND not to mention what he did to Adam) so... seems like a valid thing to hold against someone IMO!
So I guess I wasn't that surprised to see that Owen did not indeed "get it" that touching girls in a super-familiar way without their permission is gross, wrong, and gross. And wrong. Here's something I saw in the comments of last week's Degrassi Breakdown, from KayKay[:
"I had a similar yet more intense situation as Anya in 8th grade; I was too ashamed to tell my parents, much less any teacher. I got over it, but to this day, it's still something that haunts me. Girls who get sexually harassed shouldn't tolerate it, they should be straight up with the guy, and if he doesn't stop, then the girl should definitely tell a parent or teacher.We can't let creeps like them get away with it."
5) "OK, why are there only two options for girls: either she likes you, or she's a bitch." - Anya MacPherson. YEAH ANYA! TELL HIM! How can someone -- girl or guy -- be like "I'm into you" and then if they're not interested be like, "Get over yourself"? I guess hurt feelings make people say nonsensical things sometimes.
- Posted on 04/01/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW THIS PICTURE! DON'T GET SPOILED! You can watch the full Catching Pavements, Pt. 1 episode here, and then let's process.
Fiona at Bobby's trial on Degrassi
1) If you were Fiona... would you have taken the $100,000 or insisted on going to trial?
2) Oh and how about when Fiona dropped a big fat kiss right on Holly J! Well, hello there, Fiona Coyne! What was your reaction?
3) So, about Owen: I know some of you think he's hot, but this whole episode he just made me go ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. I GUESS, if I'm being charitable... I mean like REALLY charitable... I can see how, in Owen's head, maybe he thought he was just "flirting" with Anya. Though, I think his idea of flirting is really messed up. (Touching someone's arms like that when you're not dating? Just... no. And making comments about wanting to be the CPR dummy? It's highly aggravating to me that a girl who's trying to get an education has to have every little thing she does sexualized.) ANYWAY. I found this handy dandy explanation of the differences between flirting and harassment. In it, we see that in cases of sexual harassment, "The contact was not invited or accepted." Of course, I also imagine that there are plenty of Owens out there who are not the most skilled at recognizing when someone is or isn't "inviting" them to flirt. So here's a really good tip from that website: "If somebody flirts and it is unwanted, ask him or her to stop. If they don't stop, it is considered harassment." Your school might have its own policy that goes into more detail, too. It's probably in your handbook.
4) Who here has dealt with "unwanted flirting" at school? What happened, and how uncomfortable did it make you feel? Did you tell them to stop or -- like Anya -- did you feel too embarrassed to say anything?
5) It looks like Anya did learn how to be honest about how she felt though... that was kind of impressive when she calmly (rather than deliberately cruelly) told Owen, "I don't like you like that, and I probably never will." Clearly it was an uncomfortable conversation, but now they both know exactly what's up. Have you ever had an honest conversation with someone about a one-way crush?
6) Alli and the Standardized Math Test -- eek, pressure's on Alli again, I guess! How much does your school freak out about the state assessment tests?
- Posted on 02/11/2011 by Mary
If you haven't watched the hour long premiere of Degrassi: In Too Deep.... one, what's wrong with you, and two, thank heavens you can watch the whole thing in HD on this site. What would you do without us?
SPOILERS BELOW UNLESS YOU'VE WATCHED MMKAY?
* FADAM! Orrr... not? What do you think of them as a couple? How angry do you think Fiona is about the whole intervention thing? How much better does he look in Declan's clothes than he did in the baggy stuff?
* Dr. Chris and Anya. Hrm. He's into LARPing! And Renaissance Faire! Match made in heaven. And also he's finished med school while she's not even out of high school. What do you think the prognosis is for their future? Does it creep you out that he's going to wait for her to be 18, or do you think it shows some dignity and respectability?
* Dave and Sadie. Aww, Dave! She's adorbs! We're so glad Dave finally met a girl and didn't completely permanently screw it up. What are your thoughts on taller girl/shorter guy couplings? (We here in TeenNick blog land are 100% pro, for what its worth.)
* "Everyone knows the rule is half your age plus seven." What are your personal limits for how much younger or older of a person you'd consider dating?
* "She'd kill me for giving this to you, but after all you've done..." Holly J!! You can't just go around handing out pages from people's journals to other people! Why were you even reading Fiona's journal in the first place?! Still... I'm glad Adam got to read that.