Blog | break ups
- Posted on 08/11/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW; wait until you've seen Lose Yourself, pt. 2 to scroll down.
Just because Jenna hasn't had it hard enough lately, she gets dealt yet another blow: finding out that KC has been out cheating on her with Marisol while she attends to the never-ending, all-consuming needs of their baby.
"We're struggling, we're hurting each other, and you're never here." - Jenna to KC
It looks like being overwhelmed, depressed, and now totally betrayed have pushed Jenna to consider what she was unwilling to before: maybe Tyson would be better off with adoptive parents. And come to think of it, it's interesting that K.C. was so resistant when Jenna brought up the possibility.
Why do you think KC wants to "make this work" so badly, when he doesn't actually want to be there to parent Tyson, and he's cheating on Jenna anyway? Does "making it work" come at a different price to him than it does to Jenna?
I doubt that KC is proud of himself, and the situation Jenna's in right now is so unbelievably stressful and painful, it seems like it has to be rare and extraordinary. But really, everything about what Jenna and KC are going through is a pretty predictable outcome for them. Since they were having sex but chose not to think about birth control, a pregnancy was basically inevitable -- sexually active teens who don't use protection have an 85% chance of pregnancy within a year*.
And since eight out of ten fathers don't marry the teen mothers of their babies*, their break-up is just as inevitable.
But that doesn't make it any less sad.
How do you guys feel about Jenna's decision to consider adoption?
[* Stats according to StayTeen]
- Posted on 05/23/2010 by Mary
Hyde from That '70s Show is a pretty cool guy, and in the "Cat Fight Club" episode, he gives Jackie a few tips on how to achieve his level of coolness. (We're showing it as part our That '70s Show marathon.) This is the episode where Laurie and Kelso are dating, and Laurie is doing her best to make Jackie jealous. Hyde tries to help Jackie out by teaching her how to remain aloof.
Hyde's main tip to Jackie is to say "That's cool." and "Whatever." a lot, so people won't know what's really going on in her head. When Jackie starts doing this, she does come across as a cooler person, because she seems so emotionally detached from all of the Laurie/Kelso drama.
I sort of love this as a way to deal with an ex (and the ex's new bf/gf) if they're people you have to see on a regular basis, but I bet it's much easier said than done.
How do you deal when people try to make you jealous? Is whatever-ing the way to go?
- Posted on 04/30/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW! SKIP THIS if you haven't watched the new Degrassi episode!
Otherwise, let's dish:
1) GO PETER! Doing the right thing, taking care of business! It's about time! Did you think he had it in him?
2) Peter's so right, every town needs cool all-ages place to see shows and hang out. Too many places are 18+ an 21+ even though it's the under-18s who love music the MOST. Do you have a place to go for all-ages music? (Oh wait, look... if you're not sure, check this directory of all-ages venues across the country! So psyched this exists!)
3) I want Tuscany to change my life :( Have you ever traveled anywhere interesting?
4) I love that Clare bought a black bra just to have, just for her own private knowledge. I wonder if Mrs. Edwards will freak, haha. What's your parents' stance on sexy underwear for someone your age?
5) You know, one of the things that sucks the most about high school is that if you ever have a break-up, you're probably going to have to see your ex and their new bf/gf in action all the time. Once you're out of school, it's so much easier to avoid that visual. Have you ever had to watch an ex indulge in PDA with your replacement?