Blog | chantay
- Posted on 03/17/2011 by Mary
Holly J is a relatively predictable person. She has her life in order. She has overachieving down to a science. But... something in her equation must be off...
Question: Who out there is feeling a little like Holly J right now... ie, tired, stressed, and overloaded? Exhale in the comments...
- Posted on 12/25/2010 by Mary
We at TeenNick wish you Happy Holidays, Happy New Year and Happily Ever After Your Whole Life Long!
And, good news! We picked your names out of the Secret Santa hat, so here's your prezzie... a new Degrassi poster! It looks like this:
This way you can print those out and put 'em together to make your very own Deg-oration. Oh my God, I just said Deg-oration, clearly I need to stop working and go to Australia. Have a GREAT holiday, enjoy your winter break, I hope it snows only exactly as much as you want it to, and I hope all of your wishes come true forever. Unless you make bad wishes.
Enjoy your new poster!
- Posted on 11/11/2010 by Mary
Check out the first scene of this Friday night's brand new Degrassi... Simpson's finally letting the beleaguered, downtrodden students of DCS have a dance!
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW. Watch the episode first, here. Then, let's talk.
1) Declan and Holly J... I'm gonna talk about this more in a separate blog. But what are your thoughts on the episode?
2) Holly J regrets what happened. And I'm sure now that he knows Holly J regrets it, Declan regrets it, too. So, a regrettable situation for all involved. What do you think each of them could and should have done to prevent this from happening?
3) Clare and Eli... as much as it was difficult to watch Clare being so smug at that dinner with her parents, especially since she was hurting Eli, I still felt compassion for her because of what she's going through. How did you feel about Clare during that scene?
4) What did you think of Bizarro-Clare's temporary look? What if she just started dressing like that all the time from now on?
- Posted on 10/15/2010 by Mary
Ummm. So... well, first SPOILERS BELOW if you haven't watched Love Lockdown pt. 1 yet. (It'll be online soon, don't worry.) Everyone else:
1) What just happened with Holly J and Declan? What are your thoughts? I was gripping the sides of my chair and just... upset but confused and flabbergasted and confused and upset. I don't think Declan is an evil person -- at ALL -- but that really, really upset me, personally. What was your reaction to that last scene?
2) Oh God. What about Sav? Ohhh man.
3) Did you see that glint in Clare's eye when she realized her parents were united in opposition to her piercing? Ruh roh...
4) Here's how we know Eli truly, truly cares for Clare: he's worried her parents won't like him. What's the opposite of a red flag, a green flag? Well then that right there is what we call a new boyfriend green flag. Eli... your perfection is simply intoxicating.
5) Haha, as much as I felt bad for Chantay fighting the good fight to save a Spirit Squad no one else seems to care about... I probably would have felt pretty meh if the cheerleading squad (if you could call it that) got disbanded in high school. What clubs would you fight to save if Simpson shut them down?
- Posted on 09/24/2010 by Mary
TWO WEEKS 'TIL NEW DEGRASSI!! Eeeeeee!
Which means it's time to gear up and get in a Degrassi frame of mind. How 'bout a cast interview?
During Degrassi: The Boiling Point this summer, I did a post about Chantay. And in the comments, people said some really nasty things about her hair -- and some positive things! But the negative things upset me, 'cause I had recently watched the Chris Rock documentary Good Hair, about the pressure African American women feel to straighten their hair, and the expensive, painful hassle they go through to do so.
So I wanted to talk to Jajube Mandiela (who plays Chantay) about why she likes her hair just the way it is. Here's our interview:
OK, so, what's your personal hair history?
Basically, since I was 4, my mom started dreadlocking my hair. So my hair has been in dreadlocks 'til last December . It was pretty long; in all previous seasons that I was in Degrassi, those were dreadlocks, those were all my real hair. 'Cause some people think those were extensions but that's all me!
And then I had it for so long, I was like, 'wait, if I don't ever change... if I don't do it now, while I'm still young, if I wait 'til I'm older I might be too scared to change!' I was curious what my hair was like un-dreadlocked, so I decided to cut it. And I cut it myself! One by one, which was awkward, but fun! And then I was left with all of my natural hair, very short. And since then, I'm just growing it out to see what that's like to do!
...More than anything, I love the lower maintenance of this hair. Because the dreadlocks are awesome, but I would be kind of finicky and I always wanted them to look really good, so I would put a lot of maintenance into them and be like "oh, I'm so tired now!"
That's awesome that your mom dreaded your hair from a really young age... so you never had pressure to relax it?
Yeah, I actually don't know what that would be like! I think I would probably freak out like, "What are you doing? Why is this happening?"
Because my understanding is that it's a painful and expensive process, but that women go through it because it's just the norm -- in America especially.
Yeah... because a lot of people feel like when they have natural hair, that they look weird. Since it's not part of the beauty aesthetic of North America, it just makes them stick out. And I think a lot of people don't like to stick out, they like to just blend in.
[My friends who do relax their hair], they're like "it's a hassle..." but then still, they're afraid to NOT do it. It's like their comfort.
Which then becomes a cycle, because people aren't used to seeing unprocessed hair... so then it becomes 'not the norm.'
Exactly. Which makes me so sad! Because actually, when I was considering cutting my hair, I was spending a lot of time watching TV and looking at different ads, because I need to know as an actor what I can do with my hair. And I wanted to see if anyone already has natural hair -- especially short hair. And I was so disappointed! Not only actors but like singers, dancers, everyone processes their hair -- even if it was short it was still processed.
I even went even more in depth because at first I was only watching people of African descent's hair. But then I started watching everybody and I was like 'Oh my God, even Caucasian girls -- if they have curly hair, it's straightened.' Like Nina Dobrev, her hair is so curly and so beautiful, but it's constantly straightened on Vampire Diaries. I realized just in general, curly hair is straightened on everyone.
It really disappointed me that all media were promoting to get rid of your curl, and if you did have a curl for it to be super, super controlled.
Have you ever gotten any pushback from agents or casting people -- has anyone encouraged you to do anything different with it?
No, not really. I've been really lucky and people just haven't commented.
I haven't seen any Internet comments because I try to refrain -- I think I'd go crazy. I would have expected more bad comments [back when I had] the dreadlocks, because I know people have negative associations with it.
I think some of the comments were just coming from people who don't understand African hair. They were just saying things like "why doesn't her hair look like Beyoncé's?" and stuff like that.
No way! That's so funny... that makes me totally happy that I can help the dialogue start, for them to realize that it's because this is my hair, and that's her fake hair -- that she loves! But that it's not real hair. That makes me really happy that I'm able to challenge people's perception of what black people's hair is, and for them to actually even realize... this happened actually with a friend of mine a few months ago. I was talking to her about my hair and she realized, 'so you mean black people, they can never have straight hair naturally?' And I was like 'No!' And I realized so many people don't know that it's always processed when it's straight, unless they're mixed with other backgrounds, obviously.
And so I love that I can make awareness about that -- that yes, this is how most black people's hair looks. It's all different [from person to person], the textures. But it's not dead straight.
- Posted on 08/02/2010 by Mary
Yeah, I laughed out loud when she did that little "Anyway!" after telling Bianca off tonight. How can someone be simultaneously so cheerful and positive, and so not-to-be-trifled with?
Do you like Chantay, or not really?
- Posted on 08/02/2010 by Mary
First, a question: what was with Anya's "spinach and eggwhites" comment... was that a dig at Jenna, like it seemed to be? 'Caaause... girls commenting on other girls' bodies is so lame; I was kinda surprised to see that coming out of Anya. Maybe I misinterpreted?
Anyway, Jenna got plenty of good advice tonight from Chantay, but of course she listened to Bianca instead. Here's a sneak peek of how that goes for her:
- Posted on 05/21/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOOOOOOOOOW if you haven't watched the Degrassi season finale yet but everyone else... let's bond.
1) Yo. This might have been hormonal but... I cried. Every time Declan and Holly J looked at each other and you could tell how much they genuinely love each other... I died inside. I love love. Anyone else a sop like me?
2) Also, score one for Holly J for teaching us all what a little patience and flexibility can do in a relationship -- I totally thought this was headed in a "Holly J is going to get her heart trampled" direction and instead, it was "Holly J is going to get what she wants by being tender, instead of being a hard-ass." What did you think was going to happen?
3) How much would it freak you out if your bf/gf had to kiss someone else for a play? 'Cause I feel like it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but maybe that's 'cause I've never had to actually see it happen.
4) How many "L bombs" have you dropped -- in a relationship situation, not a friends one. And how did it go?
5) Regardless of how you feel about Jenna, you gotta admit she can sing, right?
6) Dude. Chantay probably did already have the germs. That's what I was thinking too!
7) Uhh... did anyone see that Shark in the Water video? The carnival? With all the Degrassi people? Interesting.
- Posted on 04/23/2010 by Mary
POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW! Those who haven't seen the latest Degrassi episode yet, go watch it, and skip this 'til you have.
- How often do you ride your bike? (Emma's got a point... zero emissions; plus cheaper than a car; plus you don't need a license; plus it's good for the butt.)
- Are you a food-sharer or not? (Like do you mind someone else dipping their used fork into your food, or does that gross you out?)
- On a date, how do YOU think the check should be worked out: split 50/50; each pay exactly what they owe; whoever asked pays; guy always pays; or girl always pays?
- Have you ever seen a friend (or semi-friend) do a total overshare online, and quietly cringed for them? Where do you draw the line at what you'll say on facebook or wherever?
- In Europe, a lot of students take a "gap year" between high school and college -- to travel, save money, whatever. And research shows that students who take a gap year do better in college because they're more in tune with WHY they're in school. Would you want to do that... and do you think your parents would go for it?