Blog | cheating
- Posted on 06/08/2010 by Mary
Remember that time on Degrassi that Liberty -- organized, conscientious Liberty -- kind of sort of kissed Emma's boyfriend Damien? Just goes to show that all kinds of people can find themselves tempted to do such things. So just in case you ever find yourself in that position, here are three good reasons...
Why Not To Kiss Your Friend's Boyfriend (Even If He's Amazing and Even If You and the Friend Sometimes Have Weird Underlying Competitive Tendencies) (And Please, Feel Free to Switch These Gendered Pronouns with Ones of Your Choosing)
1) Your friend will find out. They almost always find out. And you know what, even if they don't find out, that means you're faced with the unholy choice of either lying to your friend until the end of time, or confessing to her and reaping the well-deserved spite, loss of trust, and probable gossip.
2) It's not worth it. As for the two reasons you might think it'd be worth it:
a) Maybe you and the guy will end up together! BUT -- if you get together before he's officially and unequivocally ended things with his gf/your friend, you will never be able to trust him. You'll have watched him in the act of cheating and lying, and you'll know he's not just capable of it, he's kind of good at it. Sketchy.
b) Maybe you don't want to end up together -- you just want to have a meaningless make-out. Really, though? You're really willing to risk (or interfere with) a real friendship over a meaningless make-out? That's kind of depressing, when you think about it.
3) You'll be proud of yourself. You'll hold the moral high ground. And you'll be able to answer future paramour's questions of "have you ever cheated?" with a firm and honest No.
Have any reasons to add? Drop 'em in the comments.
- Posted on 04/14/2010 by Mary
There's a pretty interesting Degrassi debate going on right now:
"ughh!! I HATE JENNA! shes a sluut!" -icegirl111
"I wouldn't say she's a slut, I'd say she's a homewrecker." - Sner2000
"isnt a homewrecker a slut?" - junior08A
"Uh no. Slut = has multiple partners. Homewrecker = Someone who intentionally ruins peoples relationships. I don't think she's either. Maybe she could be considered a homewrecker, but I think she genuinely liked KC." - ispinnerrr
My personal contribution to the debate is fourfold.
1) While I personally agree with ispinnerrr that the term "slut" is usually used to mean "promiscuous female", and that I can very easily picture a "homewrecker" who is not promiscuous...
2) I'm not sure that "genuinely liking" the boyfriend you steal makes it not a homewrecker situation. What do you guys think?
3) Also, I feel the overwhelming urge to quote Tina Fey in Mean Girls: "You all have got to stop calling each other sluts.... It just makes it ok for guys to call you sluts." Especially since people don't tend to call promiscuous guys "sluts", and definitely not with the same venom they reserve for promiscuous girls -- the ol' double standard. Which brings to mind...
4) A question: can guys be "homewreckers", too? Would anyone call a guy who stole someone's bf/gf a "homewrecker"? I've never heard it done, but maybe you have? Or maybe you have another pet term for a guy who steals someone's bf/gf?