Blog | clare
- Posted on 07/22/2011 by Mary
DREW AND BIANCA: It took some pretty extraordinary circumstances to do them in, but now it appears that Drianca are over. I talked to Luke Bilyk and Alicia Josipovic about the break-up, and they were as bummed as some of you guys out there about it:
Alicia: We were SO UPSET.
Luke: After we did that scene, we were like, "So, Stefan. We're getting back together, right?"... It was really rude of Drew to do that, especially after all that Bianca's done for Drew.
What do you think... was Drew rude? And do you think they'll get back together?
KC AND JENNA: So, Jenna's stuck in a pile of poo-protectors while KC gets to go to school -- and now a job -- with friends. How do you think things will go for them long term? Will Kenna figure it out and stay together until baby Tyson is old and gray?
ANYA AND OWEN: After a rough week, Anya is going for a sure thing. Do you think the fact that Owen is so into her will be good for her self-esteem? Or will he find some way to make things even worse?
ANNND CAKE. The mighty mighty Lumberjake has ambled into our lives, eaten Mrs. Edwards' food, and kissed Clare just to shut her up. Do you think he really is as "low drama" as he seems?
NEXT WEEK: We meet Imogen! And Katie! Plus some Ziley story, and two of my favorite eps from all of Now or Never.
And don't forget -- the Degrassi mobile game has already had its first update (and I officially suck at Degrassi skee ball... but I'm really good at making Eli like me.) It's only $0.99 in the app store at iTunes - just search for Degrassi.
- Posted on 07/19/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW! Watch the ep before reading... it'll be online some time tonight.
Without taking sides in the great E-Clare v Cake Debate of 2011 (well... except to say that I really want to have a serious sit-down talk with anyone who thinks a life-threatening stunt is "romantic")... now that you've met Jake, what do you think? I am personally a big fan of his low-drama vibe. And I like that rather than staring goggle-eyed at Clare when she had her petite tantrum, he "saved" her -- and made me laugh at the same time.
Also, how satisfying was Clare's rant at Above the Dot?! "IT TOOK YOU A YEAR... A YEAR TO GET OVER YOUR EX!" Not saying I've ever freaked out quiiiite like that in public at an ex before buuut... I'm sure I'm not the only one who's said some version of Clare's lines into my tear-stained pillow after a brutal break-up. I'm glad Clare took one for Team Frustrated Girls Everywhere and just said it all out loud.
What's the most embarrassing thing you've ever done in the throes of heartbreak?
And how about KC and Jenna? Couldn't help but feel a little "GO JENNA" when she showed up and handed Tyson to KC. Dude is a little tone-deaf about how much of Jenna's life is completely on hold while he goes to school every day.
- Posted on 06/01/2011 by Mary
Hi all. The lady in that picture is Olivia Bee. She's a professional photographer who's still in high school -- she's 17 -- and she took all of the gorgeous still photos at the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot with all the fireworks and whatnot. We like her very much. Especially after talking to her. (Btw, most of this interview is about the life of a teenage professional photographer, but if you just want to skip to the part about the Degrassi shoot, click here.)
So, first of all, how did you start getting paid to do photography while you're still in high school?
Well, my freshman year in high school I got a bunch of emails from VSA Partners, and I kind of disregarded them because I was like, "That's probably spam, whatever." And then I got an email from Converse directly and they were like, "Hey, we'd love to have you take some photos on a shoot, kind of a mentoring process and we'll pay you, and it'll be really fun," blah blah blah, so I got to skip school and go on a shoot in Portland for Converse. And I just got to experiment and see what it was all about, take some photos, and then everything just kind of followed. They took a chance on me and now, this is happening.
That's amazing. How did they find you, Flickr?
Wow. Did you already have a ton of contacts on Flickr before that?
Yeah, I had a lot of followers, and that came with the popularity I guess. It was all pretty much by luck.
Were you nervous at all? Does any of this faze you? It sounds like it could be really intense.
It is intense. Before I worked with Converse I was so nervous. I didn't even want to go, I was so scared. I was like, "What are they gonna think of me? I'm totally not gonna be able to take pictures once I get there because that's just what'll totally happen to me." But it was fine. I'm always a little nervous right before, if things aren't working out, or if there's no schedule, or the shoot is disorganized. But if I'm just taking pictures then I'm totally fine.
New Degrassi guy alert: Jake, played by Justin Kelly
I would imagine there's a huge difference between taking pictures of your friends in a relaxed atmosphere and like "Well, we're on a deadline, and these people are only here for four hours, and you need to get the shot."
It's really different. It's like I have to be an adult, I have to transfer from being this stupid kid who just hangs out with her friends all the time and I have to be a professional, and I have to deliver. There's a lot of pressure, actually. But as long as I'm still taking pictures I can deal with it, because that's what I do for fun anyway.
Has anybody ever been snotty to you because you're 17? Or underestimated you?
Yes. All the time. I get so much snottiness. People just think I'm like a little kid, and 'why are they paying her to do what all these other people can do; why would they ever hire someone who's that old; she's never gone to college."
You just brush 'em off?
I'm just kinda like F.U.
Haha, word! So how did you fall in love with photography in the first place? Well, I took a darkroom class in 6th grade because I went to an arts-based middle school. And I really was really bad at it at first. I took a lot of pictures of Christmas ornaments and stuffed animals, things it wouldn't be embarrassing to take pictures of. And then I just started spending extra time in the darkroom -- I don't know, it was kind of an accidental, found love. But now I can't live without it.
How do your friends feel about being photographed all the time?
I think they like it? I guess some people are annoyed like "Aw, why do you have that camera again" but it's just playful, not pissed or anything. Most of the time, they really like it. It's kinda cool, they're like the characters of my life and I think they realize that. And no one takes family photos anymore so the moms like it, too.
I have friends who are videographers or photographers who always have a camera at any event, and they've told me how people are sometimes like "Oh God, put down the camera and just experience this" but the next day, everyone's SO psyched that the pictures and video exist.
TOTALLY. Totally. The whole "Time" thing. [By this I assume she means like capturing time, time being linear. You know. The whole Time thing.] Plus, I feel like, people can say that to me, but it's like "No, this is MY way of experiencing it. This is how I want to experience everything." It's not their deal, it's mine.
What is awesome about photography?
There are a million moments you could capture, but capturing that one that's perfect... it's pretty amazing. You can make a whole other world with things you already have. It's... it's like real life on paper. Or fake life on paper, depending on how you look at it.
Does having a camera ever help you meet people?
Oh yeah, all the time. It's mostly short little conversations, but I like short little conversations.
So. This Degrassi shoot. What was that like?
It was crazy. 'Cause I'd never been on a TV set before. Usually still production [as in still photography, vs. video] is: a producer, you have your assistants, you have your gaffer, the stylist, the make-up artist, and then I'll have a studio teacher. But with this there were like 150 people and they all had different jobs and that was just crazy for me.
A studio teacher -- so even if it's a one-day shoot you have to have a studio teacher because you're a minor?
It depends on what state, but yeah. California, definitely.
Were you already a Degrassi fan?
We actually watch it in Health class at school. Usually episodes about STDs or relationships, violence... because Degrassi covers a lot of teen health things like that. Usually we had a separate episode for each lesson but sometimes we would just watch it, just 'cause.
Your health teacher sounds awesome.
What do you remember from that day?
Well, it was freezing. It was going from like 7pm to 5am, which, I'd never done that before! I had a 4:20 am call time a couple weeks ago but this was like ridiculous.
Oh, and it was actually pretty funny... when they were filming the scene where Sav was standing on the lifeguard chair swinging his jacket around and there were all these fireworks going on, and since they weren't filming for sound, he was just kind of yelling things because it was supposed to look like he's yelling. And he was just like "[BAD WORD] DEGRASSI! THESE KIDS SUCK!"
Hahahaha. I love that guy. Did you have favorite characters or favorite episodes before?
Now I've met them and I can't pick favorites! I like 'em all, they were really sweet in person, too. It was really nice to know that they weren't stuck-up or anything.
- Posted on 05/30/2011 by Mary
Well, wait, one very important comment... these pictures were taken by our new friend Olivia Bee, who is 17, and who kicks copious amounts of ass, and ok, no more comments.
Oh wait one more: I interviewed Olivia about her experience at the shoot and life in general; I'll post it here soon.
OK shutting up now. Here.
Ray Ablack aka Sav at the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot. Olivia has a funny story about this moment. Coming soon.
New character Imogen and Eli at the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot
Drew, new character Katie, Marisol, and the back of Holly J at the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot.
Why not... another gorgeous picture of Clare from the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot.
More pics to come! Promise!
And don't forget, the video will be shown during Bring It On tonight at 9p et. Which of your friends has the biggest TV? Go there and watch.
- Posted on 05/27/2011 by Mary
Even though it'll be playing in big, gorgeous, full-tv-sized wondrousness Monday night during Bring It On on TeenNick (9p et!)...
You don't have to wait 'til Monday night to see the Degrassi teaser!
You can cheat and watch it now, over on EW.com. Click here to see!
And here's a little something extra to tide you over for the holiday weekend (True Jackson, VP marathon this weekend, btw!).
Aislinn Paul, aka Clare Edwards, sparkles in the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser
More pics to come on Monday!
- Posted on 05/05/2011 by Mary
Alli's nose, meet Clare's beeswax.
This may or may not have just been some Munro-lust working its way into people's judgment about the E-Clare break-up, but this post on the Degrassi board got me thinking...
"Who Does Alli Think She Is? Excuse me, but Eli and Alli haven't even talked this whole season, yet Alli has had such a big influence on Eli and Clare's relationship!! Like don't try and put ur 2 cents in Alli!" - Kira<3'sMunroChambers
I know in real life, friends can get put in some pretty uncomfortable predicaments when they donate their opinions about a friend's relationship. Such as:
1) You tell your friend that their bf/gf is bad for them; they get angry at you instead of the bf/gf... even if you're right. Sometimes because you're right -- because it's too hard to admit.
2) Your friend complains and complains and complains about their bf/gf. They finally break up. You say things like "good riddance" and "they were never good enough for you" and "I always hated them." Then they get back together... and now you're the friend who hates their bf/gf. Oy.
3) You tell your friend, "I don't know, the way they did that to you seems pretty manipulative/shady/whatever." Next fight your friend has with their bf/gf, they're like "Well my friend YOUR NAME HERE says that that was manipulative." Guess who gets an earful from the bf/gf next time you bump into each other?
But... think about Alli's side of that E-Clare thing. Your best friend is in a relationship she doesn't want to be in anymore, but is having trouble ending it because she feels guilty, doesn't want to hurt him, etc. Isn't it kind of the job of a friend to say, "Hey, you need to look after yourself here"... to support your friend who's having trouble doing something difficult but necessary?
So... what do you say when a friend is going through something with their bf/gf. Weigh in? Keep your mouth shut? How do you handle it with YOUR friends?
- Posted on 04/25/2011 by Mary
You probably smelled weird, guzzled way too much gas, and your repairs were no doubt frequent, costly, and time-consuming -- not to mention the whole "eugh" factor of your uh, former job...
But you were a goodly little (big) hearse, and we will miss your presence on Degrassi.
Fare thee well, old friend (and I do mean OLD), as you join all those other dearly departed whom you used to ferry to their final resting places.
Morty, Clare, and Eli, in happier times, on Degrassi
Please add any words of remembrance you'd like to share in the comments.
- Posted on 04/22/2011 by Mary
SPOILAGE BELOW. Click here to watch the full "Drop the World, pt. 2" episode before reading any further!
Clare reacts to Eli on Degrassi: In Too Deep, Drop the World pt. 2
1) Well... those of us lucky enough not to get the finale spoiled for us sure did get a scare tonight... what did you think??
2) I know some people were feeling kind of anti-Clare because of her pulling away from Eli... but you've gotta admit, staying with someone out of fear for how they'll handle it probably is a horrible basis for a relationship. Given how unstable Eli was in these last two episodes... do you think Clare Clare really could have stayed with him?
3) I have to admit I kind of didn't get why Anya was so insistent that Holly J needed to know about Fiona's crush on her. Obviously spilling the beans behind her back was not the best Friend Move ever, but... do you think Anya was right that Holly J needed to know about the crush?
4) How would you handle it (or have you handled it) if someone whom you loved as a friend -- but whom you could never be romantically interested in -- had a crush on you?
5) You know, for some reason it only dawned on me in this episode, as I was wondering why Bianca was at the "bachelor party" -- Bianca has zero female friends. Unless those other girls in the background of the scene were friends of hers. I know some girls just prefer guys as friends... would you be comfortable at a party where you were the only girl/guy?
6) Eeeeee Degrassi's coming back this summer! High five!
- Posted on 04/18/2011 by Mary
Degrassi's Clare in Drop the World, pt. 2
Click here to see all of this week's sneak peek pictures from Drop the World, pt. 2... plenty of surprises to come, Friday night at 9!
- Posted on 04/15/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS UNDERNEATH ME! Click here to watch Part 1 of Degrassi: In Too Deep "Drop the World", but if you're all watched up... let's talk about break-ups, bylines, the relativity of weirdness, and school dances.
Eli Goldsworthy is not amused.
1) Cast your votes. School dances, balloons, and banal top 40: "trivial" per Eli, or "fun" per Clare?
2) So, the things Eli was doing at the top of the episode... like giving Clare a byline on "Stalker Angel" without asking her, asking her mom for permission to take her to the goth lit con before confirming Clare wants to go... I've noticed that some people think he was being weird and pushy and overstepping his bounds, and others think he was being sweet and romantic. I can see how those actions can play out either way, mostly depending on the general vibe Clare was feeling toward him at the moment. I wonder: before the shotgun scene, did you think Eli was being creepy or sweet, AND, before this episode were you a member of the Eli Goldsworthy Estrogen Army or... not that into him?
3) I'm pretty worried about Eli at this point. You? And what do you think Clare should do about it all?
4) Sally J! Over! Who else is mourning this? I'm genuinely bummed. I liked her better with Sav than with Declan... (I'm on Team "I Think Declan Is Kind of Self-Centered and I'm Still Pissed about What Happened When He Came Back for the Drama Awards"). Are you pro-Sav, pro-Declan, or pro-Holly J just on her own, doing her own thing?
5) Dude, break-ups are the worst. For the dumpee and the dumper both. The way Holly J tried to kamikaze the relationship to avoid having to dump him... so human. Have you ever been dumped or dumped someone? How'd you handle it?