Blog | dave
- Posted on 07/04/2011 by Mary
Happy 4th of July...
Two more weeks 'til new Degrassi.
Dave from Degrassi, lighting up the night.
- Posted on 06/01/2011 by Mary
Hi all. The lady in that picture is Olivia Bee. She's a professional photographer who's still in high school -- she's 17 -- and she took all of the gorgeous still photos at the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot with all the fireworks and whatnot. We like her very much. Especially after talking to her. (Btw, most of this interview is about the life of a teenage professional photographer, but if you just want to skip to the part about the Degrassi shoot, click here.)
So, first of all, how did you start getting paid to do photography while you're still in high school?
Well, my freshman year in high school I got a bunch of emails from VSA Partners, and I kind of disregarded them because I was like, "That's probably spam, whatever." And then I got an email from Converse directly and they were like, "Hey, we'd love to have you take some photos on a shoot, kind of a mentoring process and we'll pay you, and it'll be really fun," blah blah blah, so I got to skip school and go on a shoot in Portland for Converse. And I just got to experiment and see what it was all about, take some photos, and then everything just kind of followed. They took a chance on me and now, this is happening.
That's amazing. How did they find you, Flickr?
Wow. Did you already have a ton of contacts on Flickr before that?
Yeah, I had a lot of followers, and that came with the popularity I guess. It was all pretty much by luck.
Were you nervous at all? Does any of this faze you? It sounds like it could be really intense.
It is intense. Before I worked with Converse I was so nervous. I didn't even want to go, I was so scared. I was like, "What are they gonna think of me? I'm totally not gonna be able to take pictures once I get there because that's just what'll totally happen to me." But it was fine. I'm always a little nervous right before, if things aren't working out, or if there's no schedule, or the shoot is disorganized. But if I'm just taking pictures then I'm totally fine.
New Degrassi guy alert: Jake, played by Justin Kelly
I would imagine there's a huge difference between taking pictures of your friends in a relaxed atmosphere and like "Well, we're on a deadline, and these people are only here for four hours, and you need to get the shot."
It's really different. It's like I have to be an adult, I have to transfer from being this stupid kid who just hangs out with her friends all the time and I have to be a professional, and I have to deliver. There's a lot of pressure, actually. But as long as I'm still taking pictures I can deal with it, because that's what I do for fun anyway.
Has anybody ever been snotty to you because you're 17? Or underestimated you?
Yes. All the time. I get so much snottiness. People just think I'm like a little kid, and 'why are they paying her to do what all these other people can do; why would they ever hire someone who's that old; she's never gone to college."
You just brush 'em off?
I'm just kinda like F.U.
Haha, word! So how did you fall in love with photography in the first place? Well, I took a darkroom class in 6th grade because I went to an arts-based middle school. And I really was really bad at it at first. I took a lot of pictures of Christmas ornaments and stuffed animals, things it wouldn't be embarrassing to take pictures of. And then I just started spending extra time in the darkroom -- I don't know, it was kind of an accidental, found love. But now I can't live without it.
How do your friends feel about being photographed all the time?
I think they like it? I guess some people are annoyed like "Aw, why do you have that camera again" but it's just playful, not pissed or anything. Most of the time, they really like it. It's kinda cool, they're like the characters of my life and I think they realize that. And no one takes family photos anymore so the moms like it, too.
I have friends who are videographers or photographers who always have a camera at any event, and they've told me how people are sometimes like "Oh God, put down the camera and just experience this" but the next day, everyone's SO psyched that the pictures and video exist.
TOTALLY. Totally. The whole "Time" thing. [By this I assume she means like capturing time, time being linear. You know. The whole Time thing.] Plus, I feel like, people can say that to me, but it's like "No, this is MY way of experiencing it. This is how I want to experience everything." It's not their deal, it's mine.
What is awesome about photography?
There are a million moments you could capture, but capturing that one that's perfect... it's pretty amazing. You can make a whole other world with things you already have. It's... it's like real life on paper. Or fake life on paper, depending on how you look at it.
Does having a camera ever help you meet people?
Oh yeah, all the time. It's mostly short little conversations, but I like short little conversations.
So. This Degrassi shoot. What was that like?
It was crazy. 'Cause I'd never been on a TV set before. Usually still production [as in still photography, vs. video] is: a producer, you have your assistants, you have your gaffer, the stylist, the make-up artist, and then I'll have a studio teacher. But with this there were like 150 people and they all had different jobs and that was just crazy for me.
A studio teacher -- so even if it's a one-day shoot you have to have a studio teacher because you're a minor?
It depends on what state, but yeah. California, definitely.
Were you already a Degrassi fan?
We actually watch it in Health class at school. Usually episodes about STDs or relationships, violence... because Degrassi covers a lot of teen health things like that. Usually we had a separate episode for each lesson but sometimes we would just watch it, just 'cause.
Your health teacher sounds awesome.
What do you remember from that day?
Well, it was freezing. It was going from like 7pm to 5am, which, I'd never done that before! I had a 4:20 am call time a couple weeks ago but this was like ridiculous.
Oh, and it was actually pretty funny... when they were filming the scene where Sav was standing on the lifeguard chair swinging his jacket around and there were all these fireworks going on, and since they weren't filming for sound, he was just kind of yelling things because it was supposed to look like he's yelling. And he was just like "[BAD WORD] DEGRASSI! THESE KIDS SUCK!"
Hahahaha. I love that guy. Did you have favorite characters or favorite episodes before?
Now I've met them and I can't pick favorites! I like 'em all, they were really sweet in person, too. It was really nice to know that they weren't stuck-up or anything.
- Posted on 02/17/2011 by Lisa
If you just can't wait any longer for new Degrassi, here's a sneak peek at the first scene of The Way We Get By, pt. 1.
I kinda-sorta feel sorry for Drew, but that doesn't mean I'd set him up with one of my friends. Would you?
Watch the rest, FRIDAY NIGHT AT 9pm ET!
- Posted on 02/14/2011 by Mary
Happy Valentine's Day!
We've got one more Degrassi V-Day mini to share...
So looks like so far:
Fiona says love is transforming, like Dior.
Adam says love is intense.
Anya says love is not being able to focus in class.
And Dave says love is a game.
You can watch all four Degrassi Valentine's Day minis here. Which Degrassian do you think is the most right about love?
Happy Valentine's Day to you... we hope cupid gives you a high five today!
- Posted on 02/11/2011 by Mary
If you haven't watched the hour long premiere of Degrassi: In Too Deep.... one, what's wrong with you, and two, thank heavens you can watch the whole thing in HD on this site. What would you do without us?
SPOILERS BELOW UNLESS YOU'VE WATCHED MMKAY?
* FADAM! Orrr... not? What do you think of them as a couple? How angry do you think Fiona is about the whole intervention thing? How much better does he look in Declan's clothes than he did in the baggy stuff?
* Dr. Chris and Anya. Hrm. He's into LARPing! And Renaissance Faire! Match made in heaven. And also he's finished med school while she's not even out of high school. What do you think the prognosis is for their future? Does it creep you out that he's going to wait for her to be 18, or do you think it shows some dignity and respectability?
* Dave and Sadie. Aww, Dave! She's adorbs! We're so glad Dave finally met a girl and didn't completely permanently screw it up. What are your thoughts on taller girl/shorter guy couplings? (We here in TeenNick blog land are 100% pro, for what its worth.)
* "Everyone knows the rule is half your age plus seven." What are your personal limits for how much younger or older of a person you'd consider dating?
* "She'd kill me for giving this to you, but after all you've done..." Holly J!! You can't just go around handing out pages from people's journals to other people! Why were you even reading Fiona's journal in the first place?! Still... I'm glad Adam got to read that.
- Posted on 02/01/2011 by Mary
"I'm Alli Bhandari and this is... well, I am... Degrassi's Big D Dance Crew, WOOOoooo."
Today's OMG moments playlist features Dave's move-busting skillz, Zane showing the world how to stay classy when in verbal combat with a homophobic bully, KC getting all worked up over Jenna's wrists and sexy shoulders, a pig, Eli's nards, E-Clare's sparks, and Dolly J's break-up moment. It was a very busy Boiling Point. Click here for the whole list!
- Posted on 12/25/2010 by Mary
We at TeenNick wish you Happy Holidays, Happy New Year and Happily Ever After Your Whole Life Long!
And, good news! We picked your names out of the Secret Santa hat, so here's your prezzie... a new Degrassi poster! It looks like this:
This way you can print those out and put 'em together to make your very own Deg-oration. Oh my God, I just said Deg-oration, clearly I need to stop working and go to Australia. Have a GREAT holiday, enjoy your winter break, I hope it snows only exactly as much as you want it to, and I hope all of your wishes come true forever. Unless you make bad wishes.
Enjoy your new poster!
- Posted on 12/16/2010 by Mary
Today's 4th Boy of Degrassi is...
Perhaps he won't be able to win the love of a girl until he truly loves himself. But let's count the reasons he really should love himself:
1) Always makes us laugh -- and even got Alli to relax a little about her social status when they manned the refreshments table.
2) Obviously fearless. Not everyone would go pantsless in front of the entire media immersion class.
3) Is clearly a total romantic; remember that look in his eyes when he was around Alli?
4) Is... learning to be a good friend. Thanks to Wesley.
5) And was undoubtedly the most memorable aspect of the Big D Dance Crew (woooo!).
You can also watch more Dave clips and episodes here in the Degrassi Dave playlist. What was your favorite Dave Turner moment? And am I the only one who really really really hopes he meets a nice girl next season?
- Posted on 11/08/2010 by Mary
More new Degrassi this week! Just one ep before the fall finale...
Can Adam really keep Fiona's attention?
What did Wesley just say to Connor and Dave?
And... well, place your bets on what's going on with Jenna and Sav...
- Posted on 11/05/2010 by Mary
SPOILLLLLLLARRRSSS inside so don't click 'til you've watched the ep here it is if you need it.) Everyone who's all watched up... let's talk:
* You know, Drew definitely did not do right by Alli at Vegas night, but... I've got to hand it to him for being a pretty great brother. I remember when he first came on and was giving Riley static, it seemed like he was going to be a certain kind of dude, but I guess we know now that he's definitely more complex than that. What's your take on him?
* When you think about what really had to be going on in Eli's room -- I mean, when someone's a hoarder, it's not just piles of paper and clothes we're talking about, it's like... food wrappers -- could you be as awesome a gf/bf as Clare was to him? I feel like she showed him some seriously mature amounts of unconditional love in this episode, and it warmed my fuzzies. Was anyone out there too grossed out to get over it?
* Wesley is a nice, nice person. Wesley... you are REALLY nice. Do you guys think Dave deserves the niceness Wes showed him tonight? Would you have been Wes-like in those circumstances?