Blog | degrassi breakdown
- Posted on 10/15/2010 by Mary
Ummm. So... well, first SPOILERS BELOW if you haven't watched Love Lockdown pt. 1 yet. (It'll be online soon, don't worry.) Everyone else:
1) What just happened with Holly J and Declan? What are your thoughts? I was gripping the sides of my chair and just... upset but confused and flabbergasted and confused and upset. I don't think Declan is an evil person -- at ALL -- but that really, really upset me, personally. What was your reaction to that last scene?
2) Oh God. What about Sav? Ohhh man.
3) Did you see that glint in Clare's eye when she realized her parents were united in opposition to her piercing? Ruh roh...
4) Here's how we know Eli truly, truly cares for Clare: he's worried her parents won't like him. What's the opposite of a red flag, a green flag? Well then that right there is what we call a new boyfriend green flag. Eli... your perfection is simply intoxicating.
5) Haha, as much as I felt bad for Chantay fighting the good fight to save a Spirit Squad no one else seems to care about... I probably would have felt pretty meh if the cheerleading squad (if you could call it that) got disbanded in high school. What clubs would you fight to save if Simpson shut them down?
- Posted on 10/08/2010 by Mary
And once you're all caught up, let's talk.
* ALLI!! Do you guys think she made the right decision? Also, do you think she does have low self esteem? Or is something else behind her 'always making bad decisions where boys are involved'?
* Do you think all-girls' school will help or hurt Alli's boy craziness? 'Cause... I went to an all girls' school for a while and I gotta say... not all the girls there were exactly WISE about boy-folk.
* Still Alli: My heart went directly into my stomach when the Bandharis started looking through Alli's file in Simpson's office. Do you know the feeling I mean... that 'omg, I'm caught' feeling? Boooo that feeling.
* KC and Jenna: Did KC have a right to be pissed about the way Jenna "came out" as pregnant? Or did he lose all rights to be mad about anything the second he basically abandoned her?
*And don't worry: Eli's back in the next episode, promise. He was suspended in this week's ep, 'cause of Vegas Night.
- Posted on 08/26/2010 by Mary
"OMG" does not even begin to cover it. Let's attempt to break things down...
IS Degrassi out of hand?? Do you think Simpson is right to be completely at his wits' end after tonight? Do the students of Degrassi need a totally different environment? Or are they just another high school? (It's funny... there's sort of a perpetual debate in the message boards about whether Degrassi is tamer than a real high school, or completely off-the-wall bonkers. Which side do you fall on?)
Eli and Clare. OK. First of all, thank GOD he's alive. Second of all... what do you think the future holds for these two? Do you think Eli really learned his lesson tonight... or is he going to be even more angry and vengeful about being put through that?
Drew and Alli: Opinions on whether Drew is a good guy or a bad guy seem mixed... what's yours? (Mine is that he's neither good nor bad... he's a human teenager who makes super, super-dumb choices sometimes.) Also: that whole thing between Alli and Mrs. Torres... I have known sooo many moms of teenagers who are like that. They think their kid can do no wrong, so their friends take the fallout when everyone gets in trouble together. Sucks.
Holly J and Sav: Daaaag, girl! I have to say: Charlotte Arnold is probably my favorite young actress in the world. The subtle stuff happening on her face in that scene... she is one talented lady. And she looked really pretty tonight, and I dig her and Sav together. You?
- Posted on 08/20/2010 by Mary
We've only got one more week of total unmitigated Degrassi saturation, and we intend to live it to the fullest. But before we look ahead, let's look back. Alll the way back... to Monday. (And if you want to watch the whole week's shows, they're on tonight at 9 btw. As well as in the Click. As well as on iTunes.)
Jenna: I keep seeing a lot of comments and tweets about how Jenna "got what she deserved" or that her pregnancy is some kind of punishment for being a "brat" or a boyfriend-stealer. Can we all just take a second to acknowledge the fact that Jenna and KC got pregnant because they had unprotected or poorly-protected sex? And that perfectly nice couples who never stole anyone from anybody, and who volunteer, and who get good grades -- when those couples have unprotected or poorly-protected sex, they can just as easily get pregnant? Pregnancy is a result of sex, not of "goodness" or "badness."
KC: Umm... he does realize that he can't just decide not to be a father now that Jenna is pregnant, right? If she decides to keep the baby and parent it, he's on the hook for child support if she goes after it. Sayin'. And the money won't make it THAT much easier for Jenna, but it will make things a lot harder for KC.
Jenna's brother: Sweet guy, right? We like him.
Riley and Zane: Dude! Zane is like the patientest, sweetest, cutest, nicest, lovingest, warmest, bestest boyfriend in the whole wide world. I wanted to DIE when I heard him scream "Help me!" when Fitz and Owen went after him... it burned my heart. And I love how Riley is going through this process slowly, which I'm guessing is more true to life for people who have a harder time coming out than others, or people who no one "expects" to come out. Look out for some really great Ziley storyline next week... I'm super, super excited about it and yeah, I cried. What else is new.
Clare and Eli: So, so relieved that Eli didn't actually "kill his girlfriend", and so, so relieved that he found someone as mature as Clare to let him move at his own pace. Me and Lisa were talking this week about how much we admire Clare for not being like "oh, I guess he doesn't like me, I guess I suck, I hate myself, blah blah blah" -- she was like "something is up, and I'm going to find out what it is."
Can I say something controversial though? I think Ms. Dawes gave her kind of bad advice. The whole "you should find out why he doesn't like you" thing... it turned out to be correct because Clare did need to find out what Eli's deal was. But that's because she had a wealth of evidence that he DID like her. All Dawes heard was "he doesn't like me" and she was like "oh, you should ask him why! So you'll feel better!" WHO wants a list of reasons someone isn't attracted to them or doesn't consider them girlfriend material? That's going to make you feel better? I think I'm more in the "accept and move on" camp. What do you think?
- Posted on 08/06/2010 by Mary
So much Degrassi, so little time to really dig into the details all week! Luckily it's Friday catch-up night... this week's episodes will air again tonight starting at 9p et. Let's talk about what all happened since Monday
Eli: What is Eli's DEAL? What do you think is going on with him? And do you think Clare is going to get frustrated enough to lose interest? (Not that she's interested. Of course.)
Holly J and Declan: Buh! Do you think she was right to break up with him? The money thing was interesting -- when people have different amounts of money to mess around with, it can be difficult to figure out a way to hang out that's cool for both of you. Have you ever run into weirdness about money with a friend?
Sav: What advice would you give him about dealing with his parents totally unrealistic demands -- should he go outright rebellion, or just waiting until college to start being his own person?
Jenna: It seems to me -- like with the whole Jenna thing , and KC's reaction to it -- that girls are so much more critical of their own and each other's bodies than guys are of girls' bodies. What IS that?
- Posted on 07/30/2010 by Mary
Friday night = catch up night -- if you missed any eps this week or just want to treat yourself to two hours of uninterrupted, gently-used Degrassi, 9pm et is where it's at. Man, a lot happened this week... Zane trying out for football was only four days ago! So let's review:
Riley and Zane:Think they'll last? What do you forecast for them?
Riley: Do you think he'll come out in high school, or wait 'til college?
Alli: That desperate bid for the social life of her dreams was odd, but... does she actually have a point about needing more friends? Clare is always hyper-busy (and will probably disappear onto Love Island with Eli soon); Dave has a crush on her which is fine but... that can be really hard on a friendship. She might have more in common with Connor and Wesley than she cares to admit, but I can also see how she would want some people around her that she has more in common with. I don't know, what do you guys think?
Alli and Drew: Can she tame him?
KC: Are you happy about him reuniting with his mom? What's your take on her?
Clare and Eli: Squeee! Oh also, I clipped this little snippet from a Degrassi script for you... it's Clare's writing assignment about her parents fighting.
- Posted on 07/26/2010 by Mary
There is nothing more satisfying than watching Zane basically tell Owen that Zane is rubber and Owen is glue, etc. -- except with so much more wit and style.
(Click here to watch it again.)
I heart seeing people stand up to homophobia, bullies, and anyone who's hiding their fear beneath a veneer of meanness. Can we clone Zane and unleash him on the world?
For real, do you know anyone this awesome in real life?
- Posted on 07/24/2010 by Lisa
This Random Hotness goes out by request to OMJmelissa, who said "Post a pic of Luke for me please! I fell for him HARD!" I couldn't decide which Drew picture to post, so here's a selection:
Which photo is your favorite?
- Posted on 07/23/2010 by Mary
Wait can we talk about Clare's most badassest moment evar from tonight's Degrassi? First, let's relive the magic by watching it again, and again, and again.
Now. How badass was that? Let me count the ways:
1) My hand to God, when she said "Neither am I Jenna...", I thought she was gonna say "Jackass." But not Clare! Clare is too classy for that! That is how badass she is... she told someone off thoroughly without using ANY BAD WORDS!
2) "If I wanted KC back, I wouldn't need fake boobs to get him." Ooooooooh, burn Jenna!
3) "They can think what they want." DEAR WORLD: CLARE EDWARDS HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO PROVE TO ANYONE. TEAM CLARE! TEAM CLARE!
- Posted on 05/21/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOOOOOOOOOW if you haven't watched the Degrassi season finale yet but everyone else... let's bond.
1) Yo. This might have been hormonal but... I cried. Every time Declan and Holly J looked at each other and you could tell how much they genuinely love each other... I died inside. I love love. Anyone else a sop like me?
2) Also, score one for Holly J for teaching us all what a little patience and flexibility can do in a relationship -- I totally thought this was headed in a "Holly J is going to get her heart trampled" direction and instead, it was "Holly J is going to get what she wants by being tender, instead of being a hard-ass." What did you think was going to happen?
3) How much would it freak you out if your bf/gf had to kiss someone else for a play? 'Cause I feel like it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but maybe that's 'cause I've never had to actually see it happen.
4) How many "L bombs" have you dropped -- in a relationship situation, not a friends one. And how did it go?
5) Regardless of how you feel about Jenna, you gotta admit she can sing, right?
6) Dude. Chantay probably did already have the germs. That's what I was thinking too!
7) Uhh... did anyone see that Shark in the Water video? The carnival? With all the Degrassi people? Interesting.