Blog | drew
- Posted on 08/15/2011 by Lisa
SPOILERS BELOW! Don't read any further unless you've seen "Mr. Brightside, Pt. 1."
Is fighting making Drew a stronger person... or not so much?
Drew has always been a star athlete, but his new method of training isn't exactly principal-approved. Watching those guys beat each other up made me cringe. I know mixed martial arts is a real thing, but I don't get it. Even on my most stressed-out days, I don't think I've ever been in the mood to just fight someone.
I guess I'm with Adam when he says "I like my violence virtual." (Though sometimes, even violent video games are too stressful for me to handle. I prefer the kind with rainbows and unicorns.)
This is probably a dorky thing to say, but I kind of wish I could read the article Katie wrote for the paper about violence in youth culture, just so I could hear her perspective on the whole thing. Though... I was a little worried about her at the end of the episode, when Drew came in to confront her -- he seemed like he was *this* close to losing control. Drew seems to view the no-holds-barred fights as a way to let off some steam, but lately, he seems even more on edge. I wish he could just sign up for yoga or something!
What do you think Drew is getting out of this?
Do you think Katie (or anyone else in Drew's life) is in danger?
p.s. One non-Drew question: Anybody out there have a kidney for Holly J?
- Posted on 08/04/2011 by Mary
BEWARE! SPOILERS AHOY.
Time for a fun game of... "LET'S BOSS DAVE AROUND!" If you were the boss of Dave, how would you have told him to handle his Sadie/Allie conundrum?
Dave and Alli, thinkin' 'bout it.
Obviously it's easy for us to play Armchair Love Quarterback now that we know how things turned out, but let's put ourselves at the crucial decision moment and take it from there:
- Dave had been harshly rejected by Alli more than once, but thought this time... maybe there was a vibe. Was it possible he was crazy and wishfully misinterpreting "signals"? Yes.
- Dave liked Sadie a lot. Sadie's a great girl and a great girlfriend. But he had a bigger heart-spark for Alli.
So: dump a good, solid thing for an enticing question mark?
One way to look at it is: if he doesn't feel 100% about Sadie, maybe he shouldn't be with her anyway.
Another way to look at it is: being single when you had a decent thing and blew it... not as fun as the other kinds of being single.
What would you have bossed Dave into doing?
And on the Cake front: Well, well! Looks like Clare's not actually getting taken for a ride by Jake! I think he really likes her... I think he finds her refreshing. Plus, let's not discount the fact that they knew each other when they were little. The whole "throwing frogs" at her thing -- is there any surer sign of a youngster crush? What do you guys think of their long-term potential?
And: I'm really glad Adam and Drew aren't leaving Degrassi. That would have been the biggest bum out ever.
- Posted on 07/22/2011 by Mary
DREW AND BIANCA: It took some pretty extraordinary circumstances to do them in, but now it appears that Drianca are over. I talked to Luke Bilyk and Alicia Josipovic about the break-up, and they were as bummed as some of you guys out there about it:
Alicia: We were SO UPSET.
Luke: After we did that scene, we were like, "So, Stefan. We're getting back together, right?"... It was really rude of Drew to do that, especially after all that Bianca's done for Drew.
What do you think... was Drew rude? And do you think they'll get back together?
KC AND JENNA: So, Jenna's stuck in a pile of poo-protectors while KC gets to go to school -- and now a job -- with friends. How do you think things will go for them long term? Will Kenna figure it out and stay together until baby Tyson is old and gray?
ANYA AND OWEN: After a rough week, Anya is going for a sure thing. Do you think the fact that Owen is so into her will be good for her self-esteem? Or will he find some way to make things even worse?
ANNND CAKE. The mighty mighty Lumberjake has ambled into our lives, eaten Mrs. Edwards' food, and kissed Clare just to shut her up. Do you think he really is as "low drama" as he seems?
NEXT WEEK: We meet Imogen! And Katie! Plus some Ziley story, and two of my favorite eps from all of Now or Never.
And don't forget -- the Degrassi mobile game has already had its first update (and I officially suck at Degrassi skee ball... but I'm really good at making Eli like me.) It's only $0.99 in the app store at iTunes - just search for Degrassi.
- Posted on 07/21/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN "IDIOTEQUE" YET...
So, starting off with some of your reactions to the Ownya hook-up from last night:
"I personallly think Owen is kind of hot, but he is such a pig. So this can go many ways." - TEENTITAN6
"I actually like Owen. I mean he seems like a nice guy, but he puts all his nasty on the outside." - AIYA222
That's actually a really good way to put it Aiya222 -- and it's probably true of all bullies, mean girls, etc.. They "put their nasty on the outside" to protect their vulnerable spots on the inside. But... I still can't stomach the fact that he threw Zane in a dumpster, threw Adam through a glass door, and probably defaced Riley's locker. Until he owns up to the wrongness of that stuff, he's on my bad side -- tender wounded inner child or no.
Mostly, I'm really feeling for Anya in this whole situation. Your best friends are basically gossiping about you, you make a stupid facebook (sorry; facerange) move because you're too flustered to think, you're still reeling from having no post-high school destination and rejection from a great guy, and your consolation prize guy utters such sweet nothings as: "You're not too good for me, Anya." Yowwwch. Crappy sitch for Anya all around.
Speaking of crappy sitches: My Bianca sympathy meter went through the ROOF on this ep. Of course, I still don't forget what she did to Adam either. But I think her wounded inner child is on full display. When Drew dumped her... oh my God! You could see her struggling to keep a brave face and being so eerily good at it... like it's a skill she's perfected.
And so sad that Drew thought this would mean a fresh start. That didn't seem to turn out so well.
Actually, question: Do you blame Bianca for what happened to Drew?
Drew lying in the snow post-attack on Degrassi
- Posted on 07/18/2011 by Lisa
Drew and Bianca on the premiere of Degrassi: Now or Never
We threw a full hour of Degrassi at you tonight, and there was lots of "Now or Never" drama right off the bat. How are you holding up? What's going on in your Degrassi-loving head? Do you think Drew ultimately made the right choice?
What was your favorite scene in this episode? Without being too spoilery, I will say that I loved the moment where Drew and Adam were a room apart, but practically in separate worlds.
And how did you feel about the Keke stuff? If a cute, young musician came through your town to do a show, what do you think you would've done in Sav's situation?
Last question -- Can you believe we have MORE new Degrassi coming tomorrow? And the next day? And the next day? *my mind is blown*
- Posted on 07/18/2011 by Mary
Who would you say is the hardest working person in the Degrassi cast?
You know what... for me, I'm pretty close to what my character is actually like. For someone like Jordy, who plays Adam, that must be a pretty difficult amount of work. And not even just filming, but dealing with the fans and how you talk to people, it must be a lot more difficult for her.
Who's the best morning person?
Definitely not Munro. Definitely not me. And not Raymond -- you can't even wake Raymond up. You wake Raymond up, you'd better get ready for a karate chop. I'd have to say probably Jordy. Jordy is always happy no matter what time of day it is.
In real life, would you say that you have a taste for the bad girls like Bianca, like Drew seems to? The girls that mommy wouldn't like?
[This is the sound of Luke blushing a little.] I don't know, I guess, sorta. A little bit of danger's always good.
Have you ever felt physically threatened in the way that Drew has to deal with in this season, where you actually felt unsafe?
Not in a way that I felt my life was going to be threatened, but... yeah, when I used to go to school, there were a couple times when I was like, "Wow, I just don't feel safe walking down the halls right now." Because a whole bunch of the guys at my old school didn't like me, and there were very uncomfortable moments where your back starts getting sweaty, like, "Is someone watching me?" But not like Drew -- I never felt like [NO SPOILERS!].
Has there ever been anything that you've wanted to do that you couldn't do because you're an actor? For example, Ray's really excited about cutting his hair now...
Oh, actually yes! I always for some reason wanted to have bleach blond hair, but every time I'd be like, "OK, we're gonna do it," I'd go and get my headshots done. And in my headshots my hair's still brown, so I'm like "so I guess I can't do it." That, and I always wanted to play high level sports, and you can't do that. Like Triple A hockey... it's just so demanding. My friends who play Triple A or now play Junior A, they play hockey just as much as I'd be working on the show, so it's impossible. I'd have to choose, hockey or Degrassi.
What are you doing with your summer when you aren't working?
Wonderland. Going to Wonderland a lot, and I play hockey with Raymond and Munro and his twin brother, and that's pretty much it. I just like chilling at home with my sisters.
- Posted on 05/30/2011 by Mary
Well, wait, one very important comment... these pictures were taken by our new friend Olivia Bee, who is 17, and who kicks copious amounts of ass, and ok, no more comments.
Oh wait one more: I interviewed Olivia about her experience at the shoot and life in general; I'll post it here soon.
OK shutting up now. Here.
Ray Ablack aka Sav at the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot. Olivia has a funny story about this moment. Coming soon.
New character Imogen and Eli at the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot
Drew, new character Katie, Marisol, and the back of Holly J at the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot.
Why not... another gorgeous picture of Clare from the Degrassi: Now or Never teaser shoot.
More pics to come! Promise!
And don't forget, the video will be shown during Bring It On tonight at 9p et. Which of your friends has the biggest TV? Go there and watch.
- Posted on 03/31/2011 by Mary
Adam and his family and friends say goodbye to his former identity, Gracie, in the Peabody Award-winning episode of Degrassi, "My Body Is a Cage"
Degrassi won a PEABODY AWARD!
It's no KCA, but it IS a 70 year-old prestigious media award that's pretty hard to come by, and a HUGE honor. Stacking that on top of those GLAAD media awards, we are so, so proud of Degrassi right now.
The winning episodes were "My Body Is a Cage" (part 1 and 2) -- aka the first episodes where we learned about Adam being transgender. The Peabody people say, "True to its history, the durable high-school serial’s two-parter about a transgender teen neither trivializes nor overdramatizes its subject." WORD THAT. Degrassi: neither trivializing nor overdramatizing subjects since 2001, y'all. (Or 1979, depending on how you're counting.)
I took another look at them today and man... Degrassi was really, truly firing on all cylinders during those two eps. I mean obviously Jordan Todosey did an amazing job, but so did Luke Bilyk... and the B story was Anya's mom having lymphoma, which was another one of my favorite Degrassi stories because I love the rapport she and her mom have! Good God did I cry at these episodes.
- Posted on 02/25/2011 by Mary
DON'T LET ME SPOIL YOUR DEGRASSI! I couldn't live with myself!
Click here to watch Degrassi: In Too Deep, "The Way We Get By, pt. 2" online in HD first. Then let's talk:
Riley Stavros on Degrassi: In Too Deep
1) Wow. The Stavros' reaction to Riley being gay is intense. And doesn't it shed SO MUCH light on why he had such a hard time accepting himself? The way his mom just wanted to straight up pretend this wasn't happening... it's exactly what Riley did for so long, isn't it? Thank God for Zane -- he had a good point that Riley's come a long way. Here's hoping he's right that Riley's parents will, too.
2) Bianca v Jenna. So interesting how comfortable and righteous Jenna feels in that judgy seat. I know for some of you this is like choosing between Satan and Other Satan, but... if you absolutely HAD to pick one to be friends with... who would it be?
3) When your friends hate your bf/gf. I guess in this instance, the friends are pretty right about the girlfriend being a problem. If your friends were openly anti-your-bf/gf, would it make you wonder about the bf/gf, or the friends?
4) Bianca. She said a line this week that I found endlessly fascinating:
"I'm not your judgy friends. So are you coming? Unless you have a better offer..."
- On the one hand, her lack of judginess IS refreshing. And she really did seem to be trying to be nice at the Dot, didn't she? Do you think Bianca's tough exterior guards a soft and chewy center?
- But... what does it say about her that she let Drew's demeaning rant roll off her back? And the "unless you have a better offer" thing... it's such a self-deprecating thing to say, when you think about it. 'I know I'm not much but, it's not like you can do any better,' basically.
I'm thinking Bianca really could have benefitted from that mandated self-esteem seminar. Even though that whole thing was still totally sexist. 'Cause, please... where was Drew's self-esteem seminar?
5) Ooh... DOES Drew really need a self-esteem seminar? His trouble with his grades; his self-destructive choices; the way he seems to really need the attention of girls to feel important... I'm seeing a pattern. Thoughts?
- Posted on 02/18/2011 by Mary
If you didn't watch the new Degrassi: In Too Deep episode, go watch it now so we can process our feelings together.
SPOILERS BELOW UNLESS YOU'RE ALL CAUGHT UP ON TONIGHT'S EP.
OK. Let's process.
* Drianca? Brew? First of all what should Drew and Bianca's couple name be, but second of all: should they even be a couple? I guess one good thing is that she'll never let him walk all over her... and I don't know, ever since Bianca said she might want to be a jewelry maker in that self esteem seminar... I've kind of been like, "maybe she's human?" What's your take?
* ZILEY!. Eek. How bad do you think this is going to be in the Stavros household?
* "Sometimes being a good boyfriend means doing things that suck." Ain't it the truth -- and sometimes being a good girlfriend means doing things that suck, too. What are your personal limits -- how much would you be willing to compromise on activities you find boring or scary or lame, if it mattered to your bf/gf?
* Also, dig the haircut, Riley. Nice work, Anya.
* Is it me, or is Jenna the judgiest pregnant teen ever? Or do you feel like she has a right to judge Bianca, just because Bianca is so completely beyond the pale?
* This Malaika girl. I'm pretty sure I don't trust her. Why can't Alli find a nice Clare-type at the Beechwood Private Preparatory School for Young Ladies?