Blog | echosmith
- Posted on 12/27/2013 by Rachel1016
The Countdown to the New Year is ON! We're closing out 2013 by taking a look back at all of the amazing things that happened this year, and whether you've got big plans or are looking forward to a low-key hangout with your BBFs (furry and otherwise), we've got a few tips for making this New Year's one to remember!
And don't forget to join us for TeenNick Top 10's New Years Eve Countdown! Starting at 11pm ET on Tuesday, December 31st, special guests Echosmith and 4Count will join our Master of Ceremonies Mr. Nick Cannon for a night of music, memories, and FUN!
1.Decorate! New Year's Eve is one of the only acceptable holidays where using sparkles, glitter, and confetti in excess is allowed. String up the streamers, throw some confetti around, and blow up the balloons � the more color, the better!
2.Pile on NYE swag! What other time of year can you wear glasses, top hats, and chain necklaces with giant numbers on them? Yes, New Year's accessories are ridiculous and over the top, but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
3. Make some noise! The louder, the better � it's time to celebrate! Grab those noisemakers, horns, hand clappers, whistles, blowouts, and party poppers and start 2014 on a loud note!
4. Dress up! Look, we love sweatpants as much as the next couch potato, but it's New Year's Eve. Why not slip on some fancy shoes, wear that nice crisp shirt, or sprinkle yourself in fun jewelry?! Or, if you're looking for something even subtler, swipe a little glitter on your face or mix it in with your nail polish or lip-gloss. Whether you're going out to a full-blown fancy party or ringing in the New Year from the comfort of your couch, those little additions will totally help put you in the spirit.
5. Dance! Whether you're a twerker, a mosher, or a sidestep shuffler, it's one of the best days of the year to dance like no one's watching! Play DJ and pick your favorite songs from the year OR have your friends each pick five songs and create an uber playlist that all will enjoy!
6. Chow down! Have some of your friends bring their favorite small dish to share. Crowd-pleasing thought starters include chips and dip, pigs in a blanket, or puppy chow! Not only will you spend less time prepping for the party but you'll be sure to have a great sampling of appetizers to keep everyone satisfied throughout the night.
7. Game on! Let's face it; everyone's got a little competitive spirit in them. Dust off those board games from the closet or show off your Dance Dance Revolution skills. Either way, your night is bound to end in laughs. It's a win-win!
8. Traditions for life! Did you know the Spaniards have a New Years Eve tradition of eating 12 grapes (one for every chime of the clock) at midnight? Or did you know that in Mexico, it' is tradition to write down a list of the bad events over the past 12 months and then throw it into a fire to help remove any negative energy at the start of 2014? Why not partake in some worldly traditions or make a new one up with your friends!
9. Capture the moment…and save it for the next day! Posting photos is so second nature now that sometimes we forget to actually live in the moment and enjoy it. When you're snapping pics, remember to put the phone down once in a while and enjoy your company. Post them the next day when people are more likely to see them�and when you can take your time choosing cool filters and writing funny captions.
10. Show the love! You know it's coming so there is no excuse to not be properly prepared when that midnight kiss comes along. Pop a mint, brush your teeth, apply that Chap Stick, do whatever you need to ensure that the first kiss (or hug with your BFF) of 2014 will be the best!
- Posted on 12/20/2013 by Rachel1016
Every once in a while, a band will come along and make you want to know everything about them. So let the YouTube stalking commence, y'all, because we are officially obsessed with TeenNick Top 10's newest Fresh Artist, Echosmith (and think you should be, too).
The indie-pop band of siblings, otherwise known as Jamie, Noah, Graham and Sydney Sierota, burst onto the scene this year with their debut album, Talking Dreams. We caught up with Echosmith to get some exclusive insight on their unique sound, their already blossoming career, and what lies ahead for the new year! Check it out below!
Congratulations on your incredible debut album Talking Dreams! How many months (or years) was it in the making?
Thank you! We are so very proud of it. Really, we've been working our entire lives up to this moment, releasing our first record. We spent two years writing specifically for it, and eventually came to the 12 [songs] on the record. We learned a ton while preparing and writing for this record.
You've cited several (awesome) 80's rock bands like Joy Division and The Smiths as your influences. What sort of influences contribute to the pop half of your indie-pop sound?
We love pop songs. Peter Gabriel is a huge influence on us, as is Coldplay and Fleetwood Mac. They all wrote/write such amazing pop songs, and it's something that we try our best to do as well.
Your single "Tonight We're Making History" was featured in a promo for the Summer Olympics on NBC. What was that experience like? Was that one of the first defining moments of your career?
Having our song on the Olympics was such a fun experience. It was our first time hearing ourselves on television, making it a very momentous occasion.
What is your songwriting process like? Does one person typically come to the rest of the group with ideas, or do you collaborate differently every time?
It changes per song. We don't force rules [or make] it only come from one person. We love getting different points of view and working on them together. We think it gives each song a different mood.
Many of your songs deal with universally relatable things like love, acceptance, and growing up. "Cool Kids," in particular, talks about the tough parts of adolescence. What message did you hope to send with that song?
"Cool Kids" is a story of feeling alone and being an outsider. We think it's a feeling that we all go through at times in our lives, and is a very difficult subject to talk about. With this song, we wanted to let out in the open that feeling, but also the hope past it. Often times, those [people who] have everything, have very little. There are so many beautiful unique things about us all, and we should show it. That was our message with "Cool Kids."
What was your favorite part about being on the Warped Tour 2013? Did you become close with any of the other bands?
We loved Warped Tour. Overall it was such a different experience for us [because] only our guitarist had been, and that was only once. We jumped right into a world that we really never experienced before. We got to meet so many amazing people through it. We made friends with bands like Alvarez Kings, Hands like Houses, Tonight Alive and pretty much everyone else.
Now that you've released your album, what's next for Echosmith?
Touring! We love playing live, and that has been an amazing way of getting our music out to people. So you can expect plenty of shows, and I'm sure we will always be writing through it all.
If you want to catch more of Echosmith, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And, of course, don't forget to tune in tonight at 10PM ET!