Blog | fiona
- Posted on 12/12/2011 by Lisa
TeenNick is showing Degrassi every night this week, starting at 9pm et, and it's got us feeling the holiday spirit. We gift-wrapped a photo from the new season of Degrassi... just for you.
Hey, Imogen! Hey, Fiona! You both look amazing -- and very different from how you looked last season.
So, what do you think? Anybody want to see some more pics?
New Degrassi episodes are coming in 2012, but in the meantime, watch the 'Tis the Season to Degrassi marathon every night, starting at 9pm et!
- Posted on 08/29/2011 by Lisa
*Raises hand* Things are about to get spoilery, so don't read any further unless you've seen "Take a Bow, pt. 1."
Eli and Fiona, locker leaners.
It reeeally sucks for Fiona that her closest friends are graduating and that her ex (whom she still maybe-kinda-sorta likes) is seeing someone else. I bet it also feels pretty terrible to buy your ex's painting and then realize a few minutes later that you're going to be sad every time you look at it.
I cried when Fiona relapsed and called herself "unlovable." She looked so sad and hopeless sitting on the balcony. Someone needs to invent a huggable TV, because I keep wanting to hug mine while I'm watching Degrassi.
I have to say though... Fiona ISN'T unlovable. She's just sad. She's the kind of sad where you convince yourself that you're unlovable, which might be the worst kind of sad, because you feel like you can't even call your friends -- because you're sure they're not really your friends, because you're unlovable. I hate-hate-hate that downward spiral of sadness. I hate seeing Fiona that sad. I hate the thought of *anyone* feeling that sad.
Fiona might feel unlovable, but in reality, she's just so sad that she's not thinking clearly. I wish she had picked up the phone when Holly J called. Or I wish she had called Eli (he's been through so much lately, he definitely wouldn't judge her). She could've called her mom, or Declan, or her therapist. I just wish she'd given someone -- anyone -- a chance to be there for her.
Think Fiona's week will improve? Or will prom and graduation just bring out more sadness? I'm almost afraid to find out.
- Posted on 08/02/2011 by Lisa
SPOILERS BELOW. Don't read this post until AFTER watching "Paper Planes, Pt. 2."
Be nice to that girl in the mirror, Anya.
Yesterday I asked the wise, Degrassi-loving readers of this blog to give Anya some advice. Here's some of what came in:
"I'd ask her what she wants. If Anya wants to do coke um... I can't help that. If she wants freedom and happiness and stuff, I'm pretty sure we can find some other options. Especially since addiction and crashes are kind of the opposite of freedom and happiness." - Dulcinea
"I'd tell Anya to just stop for a minute and breathe. She's had so much stress in her life and she needs to just chill for a minute. Drugs really aren't the answer." - Krystal Marie♥
"I think that the best thing for Anya would be to just slowly get into a conversation about what happened, but not rush it and make her upset. Then when she's done telling you what happened just tell her that it's her decision to do what ever she wants but some things can really hurt her and mess her life up in the long run, and she has a lot of family and friends that want her around... they may seem like their telling her what to do but they just don't want to lose her." - I_<3_23
"I would sit her down and talk to her and let her cry on my shoulder and be the friend she really needs." - EastCoastSwag13
"I would just be there for her, I think she really needs a friend. Someone who doesn't tell her what to do. I don't think she would stop doing coke by being lectured or walked out on, she just needs a good influence, someone on her side." - Charlotte_sometimes311
I wish I could zap all of you lovely advice-givers into the Degrassi world. Your real-world friends are lucky to have you.
Meanwhile, as Anya said "Now!" to more coke, Fiona struggled with saying "Never" to champagne. Fiona seems determined to do what's best for herself (even if it means no more hooking up with Charlie), but that didn't look like an easy choice.
p.s. I miss Mr. Tuxedopants already.
- Posted on 08/01/2011 by Lisa
SPOILERS BELOW. Don't read this post until you've seen "Paper Planes, Pt. 1."
Anya thinks she's hit rock bottom, but has she?
At the very beginning of tonight's Degrassi, Anya's worried about her future and stressed about the talk she has to have with her parents. She says, "Well, things can't possibly get any worse," and uses that as an excuse to try cocaine for the first time.
... and then her life gets worse.
I get that Anya doesn't want everyone telling her what to do, but when you see someone messing up in a big way, it's hard to resist. If you were friends with Anya, what advice would you give her at this point in her life? Aside from, "Stop doing coke!"
Keep in mind that if you try to tell her what to do, she'll be just as mad at you as she is at Owen. Can you give someone advice without telling them what to do? I was mad at Owen for walking away, but like he says at the beginning of the ep, "I'm not your mom." Ultimately, it was Anya's bad decision, right?
Also: Tonight's episode may have skeeved me out more than any other Degrassi episode ever. A few years ago, when I lived in Brooklyn, my whole apartment building got bedbugs. For several months, I lived a nightmare of itchiness, insomnia, and paranoid over-cleaning. Bedbugs are reeeeaaally hard to get rid of, so I understand why Fiona freaked out. I seriously wish I could hug her right now, but then again... I'd rather run away from her at about a million miles per hour, because bedbugs are really easy to spread, and one might get on me during the hug.
Sorry, Fiona. My only advice is: "You'll get through this, with the help of lots of toxic chemicals."
But back to Anya. What would you tell her if you ran into her tomorrow morning?
- Posted on 04/22/2011 by Mary
SPOILAGE BELOW. Click here to watch the full "Drop the World, pt. 2" episode before reading any further!
Clare reacts to Eli on Degrassi: In Too Deep, Drop the World pt. 2
1) Well... those of us lucky enough not to get the finale spoiled for us sure did get a scare tonight... what did you think??
2) I know some people were feeling kind of anti-Clare because of her pulling away from Eli... but you've gotta admit, staying with someone out of fear for how they'll handle it probably is a horrible basis for a relationship. Given how unstable Eli was in these last two episodes... do you think Clare Clare really could have stayed with him?
3) I have to admit I kind of didn't get why Anya was so insistent that Holly J needed to know about Fiona's crush on her. Obviously spilling the beans behind her back was not the best Friend Move ever, but... do you think Anya was right that Holly J needed to know about the crush?
4) How would you handle it (or have you handled it) if someone whom you loved as a friend -- but whom you could never be romantically interested in -- had a crush on you?
5) You know, for some reason it only dawned on me in this episode, as I was wondering why Bianca was at the "bachelor party" -- Bianca has zero female friends. Unless those other girls in the background of the scene were friends of hers. I know some girls just prefer guys as friends... would you be comfortable at a party where you were the only girl/guy?
6) Eeeeee Degrassi's coming back this summer! High five!
- Posted on 04/08/2011 by Mary
THERE ARE SPOILERS YONDER, 'NEATH FIONA'S FACE, but fear not, for you can watch all of Degrassi: In Too Deep - Chasing Pavements, pt. 2 online in HD right now by clicking on those words there. When yr done, let's talk:
Fiona on Degrassi: In Too Deep, Chasing Pavements pt. 2
1) Alli: "I don't know, how do you trick kids into studying?" Simpson: "You don't trick them! You just hope they're going to do it on their own accord. You always hope...." Haha poor Mr. Simpson. What are your true motivations for doing well in school? Your own personal growth? Not getting in trouble? Getting free tokens at Chuck E Cheese?
2) I know a lot of us were pulling for Fadam because, like @rediwings32 tweeted to us @teennick:
"I so want Adam to get the girl. He deserves it and Fiona deserves someone who will make her happy and treat her right."
I was totally with you on that, rediwings32. But now that we know what Fiona really wants is to be with a girl... I think things have turned out for the best. Adam wants someone who will like him not for "being stuck in a girl's body", but for being the funny, sensitive, loyal, and understanding guy that he is. He's really only begun the process of transitioning from F to M... and I have a lot of hope that someday, he'll find a girl who loves him for who he really is -- a guy. What do you guys think of how things turned out this week?
Also, because I know there's some confusion out there (I saw some in the comments last week): Adam doesn't want a lesbian girlfriend (like Fiona), because Adam isn't a lesbian -- he's a guy. A straight guy. If he were gay, he'd be into other guys (as some transgender guys are). He was born in a girl's body, but that body feels, at the core of his being, completely wrong for him. So Adam is now living and will continue to live as a guy, and he wants to date a girl who's into guys, because that's what his gender identity is. He's a he.
3) Alli and Bianca giving each other a pound rather than a pounding... did you ever think you'd see the day?
4) OWEN! God! When Anya was lamenting to Chantay that maybe she was carrying a grudge about the way Owen treated Riley and Zane, all I could think was, "Uh... that's a valid grudge." I mean, he's never apologized for it and it offends Anya (and me) (not to mention offending and injuring Zane) (AND not to mention what he did to Adam) so... seems like a valid thing to hold against someone IMO!
So I guess I wasn't that surprised to see that Owen did not indeed "get it" that touching girls in a super-familiar way without their permission is gross, wrong, and gross. And wrong. Here's something I saw in the comments of last week's Degrassi Breakdown, from KayKay[:
"I had a similar yet more intense situation as Anya in 8th grade; I was too ashamed to tell my parents, much less any teacher. I got over it, but to this day, it's still something that haunts me. Girls who get sexually harassed shouldn't tolerate it, they should be straight up with the guy, and if he doesn't stop, then the girl should definitely tell a parent or teacher.We can't let creeps like them get away with it."
5) "OK, why are there only two options for girls: either she likes you, or she's a bitch." - Anya MacPherson. YEAH ANYA! TELL HIM! How can someone -- girl or guy -- be like "I'm into you" and then if they're not interested be like, "Get over yourself"? I guess hurt feelings make people say nonsensical things sometimes.
- Posted on 04/04/2011 by Mary
Fiona and Adam on Degrassi: In Too Deep
With Fiona back from rehab and back at Degrassi, is it time for her and Adam to finally make things work?
Or... are we looking at a Folly J future?
- Posted on 04/01/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW THIS PICTURE! DON'T GET SPOILED! You can watch the full Catching Pavements, Pt. 1 episode here, and then let's process.
Fiona at Bobby's trial on Degrassi
1) If you were Fiona... would you have taken the $100,000 or insisted on going to trial?
2) Oh and how about when Fiona dropped a big fat kiss right on Holly J! Well, hello there, Fiona Coyne! What was your reaction?
3) So, about Owen: I know some of you think he's hot, but this whole episode he just made me go ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. I GUESS, if I'm being charitable... I mean like REALLY charitable... I can see how, in Owen's head, maybe he thought he was just "flirting" with Anya. Though, I think his idea of flirting is really messed up. (Touching someone's arms like that when you're not dating? Just... no. And making comments about wanting to be the CPR dummy? It's highly aggravating to me that a girl who's trying to get an education has to have every little thing she does sexualized.) ANYWAY. I found this handy dandy explanation of the differences between flirting and harassment. In it, we see that in cases of sexual harassment, "The contact was not invited or accepted." Of course, I also imagine that there are plenty of Owens out there who are not the most skilled at recognizing when someone is or isn't "inviting" them to flirt. So here's a really good tip from that website: "If somebody flirts and it is unwanted, ask him or her to stop. If they don't stop, it is considered harassment." Your school might have its own policy that goes into more detail, too. It's probably in your handbook.
4) Who here has dealt with "unwanted flirting" at school? What happened, and how uncomfortable did it make you feel? Did you tell them to stop or -- like Anya -- did you feel too embarrassed to say anything?
5) It looks like Anya did learn how to be honest about how she felt though... that was kind of impressive when she calmly (rather than deliberately cruelly) told Owen, "I don't like you like that, and I probably never will." Clearly it was an uncomfortable conversation, but now they both know exactly what's up. Have you ever had an honest conversation with someone about a one-way crush?
6) Alli and the Standardized Math Test -- eek, pressure's on Alli again, I guess! How much does your school freak out about the state assessment tests?
- Posted on 03/28/2011 by Mary
So Fiona's coming back from rehab this week... but her problems haven't disappeared.
Fiona in Degrassi: In Too Deep "Chasing Pavements, Pt. 1"
Do you think Fiona will be strong enough to handle facing Bobby without turning to alcohol again?
Oh and someone else is going to be dusting off her old Degrassi uniform too... check the whole flipbook to see who!
- Posted on 02/11/2011 by Mary
If you haven't watched the hour long premiere of Degrassi: In Too Deep.... one, what's wrong with you, and two, thank heavens you can watch the whole thing in HD on this site. What would you do without us?
SPOILERS BELOW UNLESS YOU'VE WATCHED MMKAY?
* FADAM! Orrr... not? What do you think of them as a couple? How angry do you think Fiona is about the whole intervention thing? How much better does he look in Declan's clothes than he did in the baggy stuff?
* Dr. Chris and Anya. Hrm. He's into LARPing! And Renaissance Faire! Match made in heaven. And also he's finished med school while she's not even out of high school. What do you think the prognosis is for their future? Does it creep you out that he's going to wait for her to be 18, or do you think it shows some dignity and respectability?
* Dave and Sadie. Aww, Dave! She's adorbs! We're so glad Dave finally met a girl and didn't completely permanently screw it up. What are your thoughts on taller girl/shorter guy couplings? (We here in TeenNick blog land are 100% pro, for what its worth.)
* "Everyone knows the rule is half your age plus seven." What are your personal limits for how much younger or older of a person you'd consider dating?
* "She'd kill me for giving this to you, but after all you've done..." Holly J!! You can't just go around handing out pages from people's journals to other people! Why were you even reading Fiona's journal in the first place?! Still... I'm glad Adam got to read that.