Blog | gigantic
- Posted on 10/20/2010 by Mary
* Celebu-daughter Willow Smith (Will and Jada Pinkett Smith's daughter) -- whose age won't even hit double digits until next week -- went on 106 and Park this week to debut her first music video -- watch the interview here. Observations:
1) Oh my god. That song is genuinely awesome. "I whip my HAIR back and forth..." She reminds me of Li'l Mama! Or maybe like Extra-Tiny Mama. And her performance in the video is like... that girl is NINE? And not in a "she's acting too mature for her age" way; in a "that girl has STYLE" way.
2) I will always love Willow Smith's hair. Always. Her whole look actually. She's like an even younger Tavi Gevinson.
3) I wanted to hug her when she cried 'cause they gave her a plaque (around 10:30 in that 106 and Park video)!
4) Do you guys think she's too young? To handle what comes along with fame? I mean in so many ways she looks like she's just having a ball but... remember how people felt comfortable saying mean things about Miley Cyrus in print even when she was only like 15, 16? Pleeease don't anyone start saying horrible things about Willow Smith! It seems like her parents keep things sane around that house -- she talked in the video about how she's not allowed on twitter yet -- so hopefully they'll help her keep perspective if she ever goes through fame backlash.
* T.I. helped talk a suicidal man down from jumping from an Atlanta skyscraper last week -- and had a sincere heart-to-heart with him afterwards. The story's here. While the conversation they had won't solve all of that guy's problems, the most important thing is that T.I. interrupted the attempt and the man was taken to a hospital where he'll get the help he needs. Says T.I., "It wasn't heroism. It was just me listening to my spirit. I have a very hard time taking any credit for it. It was God's work. I just showed up."
* And did Russell Brand and Katy Perry already get quietly married? Maybe? He's reportedly wearing a wedding band already. But, maybe he's just having fun with the paps? Who knows.
- Posted on 10/18/2010 by Lisa
If the three main guys from Gigantic were walking down the street toward you, like in this pic, would you be able to choose a fave?
They're all cute, and they're all crushable, but which one's the crushable-est in your eyes? I posted a new quiz that'll help narrow it down: Who's Your Gigantic Crush? (Then again, who says you can't have more than one? Take it as many times as you want.)
- Posted on 10/15/2010 by Mary
Y'all... here are all the music cues I could find from tonight's Degrassi and Gigantic eps. May they help you find the song that caught your ear. Amen.
- "Who You Are" by Five Times August
- "Underneath My Skin" by Stella Project
- "These Roses" by Gin Wigmore
- "Sammy Decter" (instrumental) by Eve and the Ocean
- "Could It Be You" by Hwood
- "Break It Up" by These Kids Wear Crowns
- "Can't Kill Love" by Air Traffic Control
- Posted on 10/13/2010 by Mary
Taylor Swift told Ladies Home Journal that her current crush is "Taylor Lautner. It's always going to be Taylor." Dude, I feel so bad for anyone who has to talk about their inner crush life in public. It almost makes me wonder if people like Taylor Swift come up with stock fake answers for questions like these so they won't accidentally reveal their actual secrets just because they were tired or distracted during an interview.
In rehab, Lindsay Lohan is reportedly also getting help with her Internet addiction -- gossip rags say the clinic found that she's prone to compulsively check her phone and vent on Twitter. They're apparently limiting her phone use to two hours a day so she can focus on herself.
And Perez Hilton told Ellen DeGeneres that he's had an epiphany about the way he's been raking celebrities over the coals for however many years: "Over the last two weeks, I have been doing everything I can to bring awareness to the issue of teen suicides and gay bullying. In doing so, a lot of people have called me a hypocrite and a bully myself and a big one. That's not how I want to be perceived and that's not what I want to put out there into the world. It was a big wake-up call that so many people saw me that way, so from now on I really want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem."
Perez was mean to celebs for a living, but how many anonymous Internet commenters and bloggers just do it for kicks, attention, to feel superior, etc.? (I love how Piper handles this in the next ep of Gigantic, btw.) Do you think Perez can have any effect on the way we apply the Golden Rule of "Do unto others..." to everyone, even people we think "deserve" to be teased or taken down a peg?
- Posted on 10/08/2010 by Mary
Did you watch it yet? 'Cause if not, SPOILERS BELOW. You can click here to watch the Gigantic premiere right now. Once you're caught up... let's talk.
* Did it make you want to be the child of an A-list movie star, or stay as far the hell away from Hollywood as you can, forever?
* Who's your favorite character? (I'm personally leaning toward Piper.)
* What did you think of Vanessa? I vacillate between feeling really sorry for her (anyone who's in a situation where they decide to become an emancipated minor is usually dealing with some stuff that no one should have to deal with) and being like, VANESSA. CALM DOWN. The world is not a) the enemy, b) the competition, OR c) characters in the Story of You.
* Anna and Joey... think they'd make a good couple?
* How about Walt and Maggie? And... If Maggie knew who Walt was from the very beginning, but pretended to go along with him being "Tom"... do you think that makes Maggie shady? Or is it understandable that she'd play along?
- Posted on 10/08/2010 by Mary
OK. I'm trying to get as much music info as I can get from all the episodes for you guys... Here are all the music cues I could find from tonight's Degrassi and Gigantic premieres. Hope they're helpy if you're looking for a particular song!
Sadly I didn't have enough time to figure out which scene each song is in -- but you could let each other know in the comments if you figure one out!
- "Welcome to L.A." by Official Hot Mess
- "C.L.U.B." by MNDR
- "Someday" by Quanteisha Benjamin
- "Independence" and "Dream Big" from our very own Jessica Tyler, aka Jenna.
- "Dreams Dissolve" by Catherine McLellan
- "Maybelline" by Zaac Pick
- "Stay" by Jesse Thomas off her Heartbreaker EP (She's hard to search for but I def. saw this song in iTunes -- that's her pic on the left.)
- "Girls Who Believe" by Meredith Shaw
- "Happiness" by Jaylene Johnson
- And since so many have asked... the song from the fall promo is "So Easy" by Gina Cutillo.
- Posted on 10/06/2010 by Mary
Gigantic is only two nights away from now, and it's weird... looking through the gossip rags this week I just keep seeing all these themes from the show: the ways having famous parents changes things, but also the ways in which those families are really just like the rest of ours'...
Jennie Garth says her 13 year-old daughter is actually embarrassed that her dad, Peter Facinelli, is Carlisle Cullen in the Twilight movies. "She's like, 'Let's not talk anything Twilight. Don't mention it. Wear a hat to my school.' She's a little embarrassed by it, she wants people to like her for her and not because of him, or want to come to our house because of that."
Rumer Willis and her boyfriend Micah Alberti broke up. Which is painful enough... and then having a bunch of complete strangers like me a) know about it and b) write about it must be that much extra painful. I guess at least Rumer is surrounded by loving family who know the ropes of dealing with heartbreak in the public eye.
And I can't help but feel SO WEIRD about the way the Jolie-Pitt kids and Suri Cruise are considered such public property, living public lives through no choice of their own... and also not really knowing any other life. Aren't you curious what they'll be like in high school? Whether they'll be OK because they have loving parents, or whether all the unwanted attention will mess with them somehow?
- Posted on 10/04/2010 by Chairman Nick Cannon
Exciting times up in the TeenNick offices! Our long-awaited brand new site is up, our long-awaited brand new series Gigantic is coming your way Friday, and also that show called Degrassi is coming back. That's a lot for a busted old, too-cold New York Monday! We haven't had this much excitement since Degrassi: The Boiling Point started up!
Anyway, I hope you're finding your way around the new site and clicking this and commenting on that and seeing what's up with your new online world.
Tell me what you think. And I can't wait for you to see Gigantic this weekend... it's gonna be large, haha.
Keep it locked,
- Posted on 10/02/2010 by Mary
You have now survived the last Friday night for a while that we won't have brand new and then BRAND-brand new Gigantic to gaze upon! 9pm et, this Friday. Time to figure out whose house you're watching at.
Look at all the sad little Degrassi extras, filing into the brand new super-strict Degrassi with its shiny new metal detectors. All prepared to be obedient little Degrassi students who welcome all the new disciplinary measures with open arms and never get into any trouble. I guess this will this be one big boring season where nothing happens!
Except that I know I can't trick you 'cause you've already seen the promos and are aware that Declan's coming back, and Bizarro Clare is going to materialize, and... was that Alli and Bianca waling on each other in a full-on, hair-yanking, floor-wiping fight? 'Cause that's definitely what it looked like.
Oh Degrassi. We've missed you, so. Come back to us, the ones who love you.
And, let's take a look at the Gigantic cast, 'cause next Friday's their big night too! Left to right that's Finn, Piper, Joey, Anna, Vanessa, and Walt. Astute viewers might recognize Finn as Malcolm David Kelly, ie "Walt from LOST." Not to be confused with Walt from Gigantic, on the far right, who is definitely the new crush of a good number of you. You might not know it yet... but you'll know it next Friday.
- Posted on 10/02/2010 by Mary
When Gigantic premieres (THIS FRIDAY!) you'll meet Piper -- who's grown up in the spotlight of her dad's fame and is... let's say unafraid of attention. She's also played by Jolene Purdy who is, frankly, awesome. Not only because she's so PERFECT as Piper and Piper is my favorite Gigantic character (shhhh don't tell the others)...
But also because she played Cherita Chen in Donnie Darko which was basically the best weirdo high school movie ever made.
Cherita and Piper have approximately zero in common, by the way -- just the talented lady bringing them both to life. Oh, and believe me, I have more reasons to geek out over Gigantic... one of them involving Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I'll tell you all about that in some other blog.