Blog | gossip
- Posted on 10/27/2010 by Mary
Look out! It's break-up season! Shia Labeouf and Carey Mulligan apparently called it quits a little while ago, and so did Penn Badgley and Blake Lively. I guess at least both couples got a little bit of time to get over things in relative privacy before word spread. These, I guess, are the benefits of not being a twitter addict who compulsively tells everyone the details of one's existence.
Prince William and Kate Middleton have been dropping subtle signals (like consciously walking together in front of photographers) that maybe marriage is imminent. It's interesting to think about real bona-fide royalty in contrast to Hollywood royalty like the people on Gigantic. Similarities in terms of not having chosen to be famous -- just being born into it and never knowing any other way. Differences in terms of -- can you imagine having no say whatsoever in what your future job would be, like Prince William did? I feel suffocated just thinking about it.
Whatever horror story you have from your prom or photo day at school, you might have a hard time beating Hillary Duff's: she lost a tooth at breakfast the morning of her wedding.
And our beloved Rupert Grint says that seeing the aged version of himself in the new Harry Potter movie was sort of disconcerting.
- Posted on 10/20/2010 by Mary
* Celebu-daughter Willow Smith (Will and Jada Pinkett Smith's daughter) -- whose age won't even hit double digits until next week -- went on 106 and Park this week to debut her first music video -- watch the interview here. Observations:
1) Oh my god. That song is genuinely awesome. "I whip my HAIR back and forth..." She reminds me of Li'l Mama! Or maybe like Extra-Tiny Mama. And her performance in the video is like... that girl is NINE? And not in a "she's acting too mature for her age" way; in a "that girl has STYLE" way.
2) I will always love Willow Smith's hair. Always. Her whole look actually. She's like an even younger Tavi Gevinson.
3) I wanted to hug her when she cried 'cause they gave her a plaque (around 10:30 in that 106 and Park video)!
4) Do you guys think she's too young? To handle what comes along with fame? I mean in so many ways she looks like she's just having a ball but... remember how people felt comfortable saying mean things about Miley Cyrus in print even when she was only like 15, 16? Pleeease don't anyone start saying horrible things about Willow Smith! It seems like her parents keep things sane around that house -- she talked in the video about how she's not allowed on twitter yet -- so hopefully they'll help her keep perspective if she ever goes through fame backlash.
* T.I. helped talk a suicidal man down from jumping from an Atlanta skyscraper last week -- and had a sincere heart-to-heart with him afterwards. The story's here. While the conversation they had won't solve all of that guy's problems, the most important thing is that T.I. interrupted the attempt and the man was taken to a hospital where he'll get the help he needs. Says T.I., "It wasn't heroism. It was just me listening to my spirit. I have a very hard time taking any credit for it. It was God's work. I just showed up."
* And did Russell Brand and Katy Perry already get quietly married? Maybe? He's reportedly wearing a wedding band already. But, maybe he's just having fun with the paps? Who knows.
- Posted on 10/13/2010 by Mary
Taylor Swift told Ladies Home Journal that her current crush is "Taylor Lautner. It's always going to be Taylor." Dude, I feel so bad for anyone who has to talk about their inner crush life in public. It almost makes me wonder if people like Taylor Swift come up with stock fake answers for questions like these so they won't accidentally reveal their actual secrets just because they were tired or distracted during an interview.
In rehab, Lindsay Lohan is reportedly also getting help with her Internet addiction -- gossip rags say the clinic found that she's prone to compulsively check her phone and vent on Twitter. They're apparently limiting her phone use to two hours a day so she can focus on herself.
And Perez Hilton told Ellen DeGeneres that he's had an epiphany about the way he's been raking celebrities over the coals for however many years: "Over the last two weeks, I have been doing everything I can to bring awareness to the issue of teen suicides and gay bullying. In doing so, a lot of people have called me a hypocrite and a bully myself and a big one. That's not how I want to be perceived and that's not what I want to put out there into the world. It was a big wake-up call that so many people saw me that way, so from now on I really want to be part of the solution and not part of the problem."
Perez was mean to celebs for a living, but how many anonymous Internet commenters and bloggers just do it for kicks, attention, to feel superior, etc.? (I love how Piper handles this in the next ep of Gigantic, btw.) Do you think Perez can have any effect on the way we apply the Golden Rule of "Do unto others..." to everyone, even people we think "deserve" to be teased or taken down a peg?
- Posted on 10/06/2010 by Mary
Gigantic is only two nights away from now, and it's weird... looking through the gossip rags this week I just keep seeing all these themes from the show: the ways having famous parents changes things, but also the ways in which those families are really just like the rest of ours'...
Jennie Garth says her 13 year-old daughter is actually embarrassed that her dad, Peter Facinelli, is Carlisle Cullen in the Twilight movies. "She's like, 'Let's not talk anything Twilight. Don't mention it. Wear a hat to my school.' She's a little embarrassed by it, she wants people to like her for her and not because of him, or want to come to our house because of that."
Rumer Willis and her boyfriend Micah Alberti broke up. Which is painful enough... and then having a bunch of complete strangers like me a) know about it and b) write about it must be that much extra painful. I guess at least Rumer is surrounded by loving family who know the ropes of dealing with heartbreak in the public eye.
And I can't help but feel SO WEIRD about the way the Jolie-Pitt kids and Suri Cruise are considered such public property, living public lives through no choice of their own... and also not really knowing any other life. Aren't you curious what they'll be like in high school? Whether they'll be OK because they have loving parents, or whether all the unwanted attention will mess with them somehow?
- Posted on 09/29/2010 by Mary
To celebrate our new show about the lives of The Young and Hollywoodian -- Gigantic premieres Friday October 8 right after Degrassi! -- we present to you: a weekly roundup of news about the Young and Hollywoodian.
There's supposedly a Shia LaBeouf interview in The Sun -- which, let's remember, is the British tabloid notorious for just making stuff up sometimes -- where he talks about how his career basically gave him back his father. He says that when he was a kid working on set, he needed a parent with him. And since his dad was unemployed and fresh out of rehab, he was available to be the on-set parent (while Shia's mom worked). "If I had no money and no way to supplement my father's income so he could survive, I would have no father," Shia (again, supposedly) said. I can't decide if this is a really sad story or a happy one... probably, like most of life, it's both.
Welp, Lindsay's back in rehab (after getting out, then relapsing, then going back to jail, then being released to re-enter rehab). It's really interesting how she's been handling this most recent relapse. First, she got "in front of the story" as they say, by tweeting that she had relapsed and intended to face the consequences, basically as soon as she failed her drug test. So the tabloids couldn't be like "OMG we found out Lindsay relapsed!" -- she controlled the story herself. And now, sources are saying she plans to "step up her treatment and do more than what she was previously ordered to do." So, those speaking for Lindsay seem to be saying that she's taking her recovery seriously and had a big setback. Here's hoping that's true -- we wish her the best.
And the paparazzi have officially scared Kelly Osbourne out of her own house. (Here's the story. )They were trying to take pics of her through her windows and broke her gate (I'm guessing she's back on the pap's Hot List after the big break-up with Luke Worrall and the fact that she lost weight). So, she doesn't feel safe there anymore and is looking for "a place in a secure building." So messed. Poor Kelly. Or... do you not feel sorry for her 'cause that's what you get for being famous? Drop your opinion in the comments...