Blog | holly j
- Posted on 04/17/2013 by Lisa
We're putting a friendship-themed episode of Degrassi online on Friday -- VOTE for the one you wanna see! A few of the contenders are below:
On Degrassi, friends are the people who keep your secrets (like when Holly J caught Jane cheating on Spinner with Declan).
Friends don't care what gender you were born... they care what you're like as a person:
Your closest friend can become your worst enemy (especially if you're both running for president, and she wants to fight dirty).
And of course, friends are always willing to do embarrassing things with you in public.
Degrassi has so many good friendships!! Check out the Facebook Poll to see more options. We'll check the winner on Friday afternoon and put that episode online for Fan Favorite Friday.
- Posted on 08/16/2011 by Mary
THARS SPOILERS DOWN BELOW. Avert your eyes until you've seen "Mr. Brightside, pt. 2".
Well! GIANT relief on the Holly J front! Not that kidney transplant surgery is a walk in the park, but it sure is nice that there's a kidney to transplant!
Holly J and her birth mom Dawn, changing the subject to something besides kidneys.
I know after last night's ep, some people were feeling pretty anti-Dawn:
"Holly J's mom has entered my "degrassi enemies" list. COME ON LADY GIVE YOUR DAUGHTER THE FLIPPIN KIDNEY! Way to be there for your kid. Good job." - ALLABOUTELI<3
But after tonight's episode... did anyone change their feelings toward HJ's birth mom after seeing how hard she was struggling with guilt? I have to say, it was weirdly kind of a relief for me to see her feeling terrible. Like she's at least human.
I also maybe feel a teensy bit weird that Fiona kind of bought Holly J's way out of this? The ethics of paying living donors for their organs are really slippery -- the problem is that, taken to one extreme, it would mean only rich people could have their lives saved by organ donation and poor people would be out of luck. And you definitely don't want a situation where, say, people can pay as much as they want for a kidney (above and beyond reimbursing expenses) because then it would create situations where financially desperate people would be selling their organs to wealthy recipients.
But, doing a little research today, I'm seeing that there's some talk out there about loosening the laws about reimbursing living donors for lost income, since financial hardship is a common reason for people to not donate. In fact, Canada (British Columbia, anyway) is one of the places where it's somewhat allowed (though the lost wages reimbursements are still not much). Anyway, it's... a pretty thorny topic, to be sure. What? A thorny topic on Degrassi? Whodathunk!
But enough kidney talk:
What do you guys think of Drew and Katie? Datie? Krew? Dratie? Isn't it interesting that Drew is such a magnet for over-achiever girls (Alli, now Katie)? I guess they want to overachieve on the hotness of their boyfriend, too?
Also interesting that Adam just kind of let that one go. I guess since he has a definitive answer about her not being into him, he had a minute to get over her. Plus there was that time Fiona chose Adam over Drew, so.
And UP TOP ALLI BANDHARI! Finally broke the Bandhari sibling dating curse! Anyone out there want to hire her to talk to your parents?
- Posted on 08/09/2011 by Mary
Yikes. The amount that Holly J is going through in the span of a couple days is stressing me out -- and I'm just sitting there with my dog and a bowl of pistachios watching! Can't imagine what it would be like for a real-life HJ.
Holly J, stressing the hell out. Justifiably.
It was so crazy seeing her birth mom tonight... but even crazier thinking about her trying to digest 1) a potentially fatal diagnosis 2) a completely earth-shattering revelation and 3) a supersuper awkward meeting with the stranger you LIVED IN for nine months, all in the course of a week!
I was personally kind of shocked that her parents wanted to wait until she was 18 to tell her... that seems a lot older than my real-life adopted friends were when they found out. If you were adopted or have a friend who was, when did your/their parents reveal it?
Anyway, what do you think of Holly J's birth mom... and her $20,000 request?
I hope that's not what stands between HJ and life because we need her to graduate and change the world! Even if @degrassitextfam thinks she should get held back to hang out with Fiona. Which would undoubtedly be more fun for us, but we must be strong and noble and selfless -- we must think of Holly J and what's best for her.
PS: Can't say I'm Imogen's biggest fan in terms of her influence on Eli but, just on a sisterfriend level: that "We're not together" scene? OUCH! What happened to whisper-whisper-tee-hee-hee on the bench, Eli? The signals! They are mixed at best!
- Posted on 04/22/2011 by Mary
SPOILAGE BELOW. Click here to watch the full "Drop the World, pt. 2" episode before reading any further!
Clare reacts to Eli on Degrassi: In Too Deep, Drop the World pt. 2
1) Well... those of us lucky enough not to get the finale spoiled for us sure did get a scare tonight... what did you think??
2) I know some people were feeling kind of anti-Clare because of her pulling away from Eli... but you've gotta admit, staying with someone out of fear for how they'll handle it probably is a horrible basis for a relationship. Given how unstable Eli was in these last two episodes... do you think Clare Clare really could have stayed with him?
3) I have to admit I kind of didn't get why Anya was so insistent that Holly J needed to know about Fiona's crush on her. Obviously spilling the beans behind her back was not the best Friend Move ever, but... do you think Anya was right that Holly J needed to know about the crush?
4) How would you handle it (or have you handled it) if someone whom you loved as a friend -- but whom you could never be romantically interested in -- had a crush on you?
5) You know, for some reason it only dawned on me in this episode, as I was wondering why Bianca was at the "bachelor party" -- Bianca has zero female friends. Unless those other girls in the background of the scene were friends of hers. I know some girls just prefer guys as friends... would you be comfortable at a party where you were the only girl/guy?
6) Eeeeee Degrassi's coming back this summer! High five!
- Posted on 04/20/2011 by Mary
Would Degrassi's Charlotte Arnold (aka Holly J) ever consider dating a fan? And what's the "Sunshine Lounge"? Find out in part 2 of her photo shoot interview:
(If you can't see the video above these words, click here to watch.)
What about you... would you date a Degrassi fan? ;)
- Posted on 04/15/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS UNDERNEATH ME! Click here to watch Part 1 of Degrassi: In Too Deep "Drop the World", but if you're all watched up... let's talk about break-ups, bylines, the relativity of weirdness, and school dances.
Eli Goldsworthy is not amused.
1) Cast your votes. School dances, balloons, and banal top 40: "trivial" per Eli, or "fun" per Clare?
2) So, the things Eli was doing at the top of the episode... like giving Clare a byline on "Stalker Angel" without asking her, asking her mom for permission to take her to the goth lit con before confirming Clare wants to go... I've noticed that some people think he was being weird and pushy and overstepping his bounds, and others think he was being sweet and romantic. I can see how those actions can play out either way, mostly depending on the general vibe Clare was feeling toward him at the moment. I wonder: before the shotgun scene, did you think Eli was being creepy or sweet, AND, before this episode were you a member of the Eli Goldsworthy Estrogen Army or... not that into him?
3) I'm pretty worried about Eli at this point. You? And what do you think Clare should do about it all?
4) Sally J! Over! Who else is mourning this? I'm genuinely bummed. I liked her better with Sav than with Declan... (I'm on Team "I Think Declan Is Kind of Self-Centered and I'm Still Pissed about What Happened When He Came Back for the Drama Awards"). Are you pro-Sav, pro-Declan, or pro-Holly J just on her own, doing her own thing?
5) Dude, break-ups are the worst. For the dumpee and the dumper both. The way Holly J tried to kamikaze the relationship to avoid having to dump him... so human. Have you ever been dumped or dumped someone? How'd you handle it?
- Posted on 04/09/2011 by Lisa
Fiona skips French class to have a heart-to-heart with Holly J.
Fiona seems nervous to tell Holly J she likes girls, but Holly J takes it all in stride.
Have any of your friends come out to you? How'd it go? Were you surprised -- or was it just another friendly conversation, like this one?
- Posted on 04/08/2011 by Mary
THERE ARE SPOILERS YONDER, 'NEATH FIONA'S FACE, but fear not, for you can watch all of Degrassi: In Too Deep - Chasing Pavements, pt. 2 online in HD right now by clicking on those words there. When yr done, let's talk:
Fiona on Degrassi: In Too Deep, Chasing Pavements pt. 2
1) Alli: "I don't know, how do you trick kids into studying?" Simpson: "You don't trick them! You just hope they're going to do it on their own accord. You always hope...." Haha poor Mr. Simpson. What are your true motivations for doing well in school? Your own personal growth? Not getting in trouble? Getting free tokens at Chuck E Cheese?
2) I know a lot of us were pulling for Fadam because, like @rediwings32 tweeted to us @teennick:
"I so want Adam to get the girl. He deserves it and Fiona deserves someone who will make her happy and treat her right."
I was totally with you on that, rediwings32. But now that we know what Fiona really wants is to be with a girl... I think things have turned out for the best. Adam wants someone who will like him not for "being stuck in a girl's body", but for being the funny, sensitive, loyal, and understanding guy that he is. He's really only begun the process of transitioning from F to M... and I have a lot of hope that someday, he'll find a girl who loves him for who he really is -- a guy. What do you guys think of how things turned out this week?
Also, because I know there's some confusion out there (I saw some in the comments last week): Adam doesn't want a lesbian girlfriend (like Fiona), because Adam isn't a lesbian -- he's a guy. A straight guy. If he were gay, he'd be into other guys (as some transgender guys are). He was born in a girl's body, but that body feels, at the core of his being, completely wrong for him. So Adam is now living and will continue to live as a guy, and he wants to date a girl who's into guys, because that's what his gender identity is. He's a he.
3) Alli and Bianca giving each other a pound rather than a pounding... did you ever think you'd see the day?
4) OWEN! God! When Anya was lamenting to Chantay that maybe she was carrying a grudge about the way Owen treated Riley and Zane, all I could think was, "Uh... that's a valid grudge." I mean, he's never apologized for it and it offends Anya (and me) (not to mention offending and injuring Zane) (AND not to mention what he did to Adam) so... seems like a valid thing to hold against someone IMO!
So I guess I wasn't that surprised to see that Owen did not indeed "get it" that touching girls in a super-familiar way without their permission is gross, wrong, and gross. And wrong. Here's something I saw in the comments of last week's Degrassi Breakdown, from KayKay[:
"I had a similar yet more intense situation as Anya in 8th grade; I was too ashamed to tell my parents, much less any teacher. I got over it, but to this day, it's still something that haunts me. Girls who get sexually harassed shouldn't tolerate it, they should be straight up with the guy, and if he doesn't stop, then the girl should definitely tell a parent or teacher.We can't let creeps like them get away with it."
5) "OK, why are there only two options for girls: either she likes you, or she's a bitch." - Anya MacPherson. YEAH ANYA! TELL HIM! How can someone -- girl or guy -- be like "I'm into you" and then if they're not interested be like, "Get over yourself"? I guess hurt feelings make people say nonsensical things sometimes.
- Posted on 04/07/2011 by Mary
Whoa. Is this the beginning of Folly J?
Or is Fiona's subconscious trying to get her to wake up to her true feelings?
Actually... as I re-read the sentence I just wrote, I just want to add that having a dream about kissing your same-sex best friend doesn't automatically mean you're gay or lesbian. Fiona's true sexual orientation has less to do with this one dream and more to do with who she feels most attracted to -- emotionally, romantically and physically -- day in and day out while she's awake. Maybe Friday night we'll find out who that is for Fiona.
(More info on how people know they're gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender is available at (The Trevor Project. )
- Posted on 04/01/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW THIS PICTURE! DON'T GET SPOILED! You can watch the full Catching Pavements, Pt. 1 episode here, and then let's process.
Fiona at Bobby's trial on Degrassi
1) If you were Fiona... would you have taken the $100,000 or insisted on going to trial?
2) Oh and how about when Fiona dropped a big fat kiss right on Holly J! Well, hello there, Fiona Coyne! What was your reaction?
3) So, about Owen: I know some of you think he's hot, but this whole episode he just made me go ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. I GUESS, if I'm being charitable... I mean like REALLY charitable... I can see how, in Owen's head, maybe he thought he was just "flirting" with Anya. Though, I think his idea of flirting is really messed up. (Touching someone's arms like that when you're not dating? Just... no. And making comments about wanting to be the CPR dummy? It's highly aggravating to me that a girl who's trying to get an education has to have every little thing she does sexualized.) ANYWAY. I found this handy dandy explanation of the differences between flirting and harassment. In it, we see that in cases of sexual harassment, "The contact was not invited or accepted." Of course, I also imagine that there are plenty of Owens out there who are not the most skilled at recognizing when someone is or isn't "inviting" them to flirt. So here's a really good tip from that website: "If somebody flirts and it is unwanted, ask him or her to stop. If they don't stop, it is considered harassment." Your school might have its own policy that goes into more detail, too. It's probably in your handbook.
4) Who here has dealt with "unwanted flirting" at school? What happened, and how uncomfortable did it make you feel? Did you tell them to stop or -- like Anya -- did you feel too embarrassed to say anything?
5) It looks like Anya did learn how to be honest about how she felt though... that was kind of impressive when she calmly (rather than deliberately cruelly) told Owen, "I don't like you like that, and I probably never will." Clearly it was an uncomfortable conversation, but now they both know exactly what's up. Have you ever had an honest conversation with someone about a one-way crush?
6) Alli and the Standardized Math Test -- eek, pressure's on Alli again, I guess! How much does your school freak out about the state assessment tests?