Blog | holly j
- Posted on 03/26/2011 by Mary
I know it's not funny... because Holly J is really really sick.
But... I mean...
What's the MOST embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you? That you're willing to post in the comments? I'll go:
I peed the bed at camp one summer. But even better... I was in my FRIEND's bunk bed at the time, because we had switched bunks for the night. So, I peed on HER sheets. Which was that much more awesome.
- Posted on 03/25/2011 by Mary
LOOK OUT, SPOILERS BELOW for those who missed out on the awesomeness. (Here's the full ep so you can be like the rest of us.) But if you've seen it, let's get chatty.
Holly J fell down went boom on Degrassi. She has a boo boo in her kidneys.
1) It's a good thing I never ran away because I have a feeling I'd fare just about as well as Alli -- I would totally try to ask someone for "Runaway 101" tips and end up getting jacked.
2) If your parents wanted your whole family to go to therapy together... would you be into it?
3) UP TOP, WESLEY! What do you guys think of Hannah? And should we call them Wannah? Weslah? I think I like Wannah. Anyway, a round of applause for a sweet guy finding a lovely girl. clap clap clap clap clap
4) You know what? It's interesting that Holly J didn't try to sabotage Chantay, since they were competing at that work study. It seems like the HJ of even a season ago totally would have. (It's also interesting that so many people out there speculated that Holly J might have diabetes, since it did turn out to be her kidneys... even if she got there in a really roundabout way.)
5) Also, who else here is guilty of totally trying to put off dealing with being sick because you were like "I don't have TIME to be sick." /me sighs, raises hand.
- Posted on 03/18/2011 by Mary
This blog has SPOILERS DOWN THERE so don't scroll down 'til you've watched the new episode. You've been warned. If you've already watched... we got some talking to do.
1) Reading your "yes, I am as stressed as Holly J" comments on yesterday's blog made me so worried! I mean Holly J is a fictional character and I'm worried for her too, but people! You! Real people! Take some serious "100% unscheduled me time" this weekend! It's almost spring and you have to. I am hereby forcing you.
2) So, remember that scene where Alli was looking at her "facerange" and there was a mix of comments on it, where some people were showing concern and some people were like "I'm glad she's gone," or "the dress code is her fault"? That made me go ruh ruh like a dungeon dragon. They were just like "la la, I'm posting something funny on the Intornets that my friends will click 'like' on" rather than, "la la, a real human being is in so much emotional pain that they have put themselves in danger and I am making fun of it and kicking them while they're down." The internet sucks sometimes.
3) I love that 12 year old Wesley wrote 16 year old Wesley a note. I heard about this site where you can write an email to yourself in the future and it'll deliver it to you on the date you set. (OK... the internet rules sometimes, too.) I'm not gonna link to it right here because on the site, some people choose to make their letters public on the front page, and one I just saw has what we in the biz call "inappropriate language" but if that's ok with you, search the web for "Future Me".
Anyway, what did the you of four years ago think the you of today was going to be like? And were You of the Past wrong, or right, or somewhere in between?
4) I can't be the only person who was thinking the whole time "Omgomg what if Holly J is pregnant?" WHEW. Except, eek, 'cause if it's not that... whatever it is doesn't look good, either. What are your guesses about what's up?
5) "I stood next to a dude that stabbed a guy that everyone LOVED, and then I had to go to that guy's school." - Johnny DiMarco. You know... I never really thought about the fact that going to Degrassi must have been scary as hell for Johnny.
- Posted on 03/17/2011 by Mary
Holly J is a relatively predictable person. She has her life in order. She has overachieving down to a science. But... something in her equation must be off...
Question: Who out there is feeling a little like Holly J right now... ie, tired, stressed, and overloaded? Exhale in the comments...
- Posted on 03/16/2011 by Mary
Find out what Charlotte and Holly J have in common! Besides being the exact same height and having the exact same hair color.
It's no secret: I think Charlotte Arnold is pretty much the bomb. If you want to hear more from her, check out these other Charlotte Arnold posts with other interviews and observations of her.
And/or help yourself to an eyeful of this totes gorge pic of her from Vegas Night.
Charlotte Arnold rocks the Vegas Night tiara, as Holly J on Degrassi.
- Posted on 12/25/2010 by Mary
We at TeenNick wish you Happy Holidays, Happy New Year and Happily Ever After Your Whole Life Long!
And, good news! We picked your names out of the Secret Santa hat, so here's your prezzie... a new Degrassi poster! It looks like this:
This way you can print those out and put 'em together to make your very own Deg-oration. Oh my God, I just said Deg-oration, clearly I need to stop working and go to Australia. Have a GREAT holiday, enjoy your winter break, I hope it snows only exactly as much as you want it to, and I hope all of your wishes come true forever. Unless you make bad wishes.
Enjoy your new poster!
- Posted on 11/12/2010 by Mary
Lordy lordy lordy. Classic Degrassi tonight. SPOILERS AHOY so don't read 'til you've watched -- here's the full Halo, pt. 1 episode for your convenience:
And now, let's break it down.
1) Wesley, Wesley, Wesley. Ohhh, Lord. Poor guy. You know what's weird? Basically every single person on the planet goes through puberty, and yet we're somehow still so embarrassed to talk about it -- and even go through it. I mean, not everyone has a wet dream at school but... I bet it's happened to someone, somewhere...
2) KC, so so not over Jenna. Do you guys think they should get back together? Does he deserve her, after the way he abandoned her?
3) Dude, Sav is basically the nicest guy in the world. I mean, he's not perfect but, for real, who else would offer to go to a girl-he-hardly-know's prenatal class with her just 'cause she was sad and lonely? You can't blame Jenna for falling for him... even if you can blame her for being an eensy weensy skeensy bit delusional.
4) Two girls enter; one girl leaves! Who would win in a fight: Holly J, armed with a razor wit, two rolls of crepe paper and a Zeno; or Jenna, armed with sheer ruthlessness, a bottle of prenatal vitamins, and the stick shift from her brother's truck?
- Posted on 10/30/2010 by Mary
Happy Hallo-weekend! Here's a plastic jack-o-lantern's worth of behind the scenes snapshots from Degrassi's Monster Moon shoot. Also, fyi, you can click here to watch all four Monster Moon minis crammed into one.
Two more vids are coming (they're on TV during the 9pm Degrassi airings, and then online afterwards).
Oh and check out this cute li'l pic of Munro and Aislinn behind the scenes at the shoot. Awww/ewww.
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Mary
In my opinion, this might be one of the best conversations ever on Degrassi, in terms of the questions it raises. Let's break it down piece by piece. What could Declan and Holly J each have done differently to prevent the emotional fallout they both suffered?
Holly J: I didn't want to. I told you that.
Declan: I thought that was because of Sav.
Holly J: Does it matter why?? You didn't listen. You insisted.
When things started, Holly J said no. Declan could have prevented all of this from happening if he had listened to her and believed her, instead of trying to evaluate her reasons for saying no and trying to change her mind. Why be with someone who doesn't completely, unequivocally want to be with you in that moment?
Declan could and should have backed off in that moment. He had a choice to back off, and it would have been an infinitely better choice. Personally, I have to say I'm really angry at him for not backing off.
But he didn't, and then we come to the next point:
Declan: Yeah, but then you kissed me. I thought you changed your mind. Holly J: Maybe I did. I was confused. I'm not saying it was all your fault.
After Declan made his choice, Holly J had a choice about her next move, too. Instead of repeating herself unequivocally or attempting to physically remove herself from the situation, she decided to go forward even though she was unsure. And confusion is a terrible state to be in when you do the most intimate and vulnerable thing you can do with your body. Because the conflicted feeling doesn't go away. And that's a horrible way to feel after the fact, when you can't un-do things.
Holly J should have listened to her confusion, and stuck with her conviction of "no," rather than giving conflicting information to Declan. She could have prevented this from happening, too (assuming Declan wouldn't have forced her -- which I don't think he would have, do you?)
Both of them messed up. And both of them are left feeling horrible.
Anyway I've seen a lot of conversation about this episode talking about the question of rape, and a lot of conflicting ideas about what is and what isn't. Here's some information I've found incredibly helpful: RAINN's (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) information page describing what rape and sexual assault are, in easy to understand language.
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW. Watch the episode first, here. Then, let's talk.
1) Declan and Holly J... I'm gonna talk about this more in a separate blog. But what are your thoughts on the episode?
2) Holly J regrets what happened. And I'm sure now that he knows Holly J regrets it, Declan regrets it, too. So, a regrettable situation for all involved. What do you think each of them could and should have done to prevent this from happening?
3) Clare and Eli... as much as it was difficult to watch Clare being so smug at that dinner with her parents, especially since she was hurting Eli, I still felt compassion for her because of what she's going through. How did you feel about Clare during that scene?
4) What did you think of Bizarro-Clare's temporary look? What if she just started dressing like that all the time from now on?