Blog | pictures
- Posted on 05/12/2011 by Mary
I saw on the twittering machine that a bunch of you are stoked to be coming home from school to a double dose of Saved by the Bell these days:
Therefore, I thought it would be a defensibly valid use of company time to go digging through some photo archives to bring you these bright, sparkly, blinding gems of early '90s awkwardness, so that you can print them out and hang them in your locker, obviously. Or just put them under your pillow, for totally sweet dreamz!
L: OMG, Zack and Slater, I know just how you feel... that happens to me ALL THE TIME. R: One of these things is not like the others.
L: Kelly, Jessie, and Lisa having fun in the sun(-like studio lighting). R: Three girls, one mirror, and no fisticuffs!
L: Lisa Turtle: proud like a leopard. R: Don't lie... if they offered this background for your senior portrait, you'd be all over it like flowers on Kelly's pants.
- Posted on 04/18/2011 by Mary
It's Day 1 of Degrassi Spirit Week, leading up to this Friday's season finale! First off, don't forget to Show Us Your Degrassi!
And secondly, here's a fresh Facebook taggable picture for you (complete with Zane). Which of your friends is the Clare, which is the Jenna, and who's a total Eli? Drop this on your Facebook and tag 'em up. (To grab this, right click or ctrl-click the image and choose "save image as" or similar.)
A new Degrassi taggable for Facebook!
Join us every day this week in the blog for new Degrassi Spirit Week activities!
- Posted on 04/18/2011 by Mary
Degrassi's Clare in Drop the World, pt. 2
Click here to see all of this week's sneak peek pictures from Drop the World, pt. 2... plenty of surprises to come, Friday night at 9!
- Posted on 04/17/2011 by Mary
As we lead into the season finale for Degrassi: In Too Deep, I've seen some people mentioning the Death card that Clare pulled waaaay back when in the carnival promo. Which reminded me that I totally snuck into the "fortune teller's tent" on the set of that shoot and took this picture, which I never got a chance to share with you. So here it is!
Degrassi Carnival Promo - The Death Tarot Card
And while looking for it, I also stumbled on these pics of everyone messing around with the giant snakes that were on set that day.
Degrassi's Aislinn Paul, Munro Chambers and some very large snakes
Degrassi's Charlotte Arnold, snake charmer.
TeenNick producer Joe P, rocking the snakes as they were intended to be rocked
Me, rocking the snakes with invisible but very real enthusiasm, I swear to God.
- Posted on 04/11/2011 by Mary
Eli Goldsworthy hanging out on Morty's hood in Degrassi: In Too Deep, Drop the World pt. 1
Only two more episodes left in Degrassi: In Too Deep... Drop the World, pts. 1 & 2. And they're both MAJOR.
Are you ready to find out what happens? What are your predictions?
- Posted on 04/04/2011 by Mary
Fiona and Adam on Degrassi: In Too Deep
With Fiona back from rehab and back at Degrassi, is it time for her and Adam to finally make things work?
Or... are we looking at a Folly J future?
- Posted on 07/16/2010 by Mary
Just a few more short little days until Degrassi: Now or Never takes over your summer nights! Are you prepared for the all-consuming madness? I think I am. I think I can take it. I'm trying to up my cardio just in case.
I went to the Degrassi set last week -- my first time! In nine years of writing about the show for this site! Here are some of the pics I managed to get my first day... I had a ton of other pics planned for the following day but spent it doubled over in pain in a hotel room instead (kidney stone, yay). Bummer = understatement of the century. Anyway, the first day was awesome enough for two:
L: New boy! Justin Kelly, who plays Jake -- you'll meet him Tuesday night. He's a doll. Here, he pulls on a pre-tied tie because he couldn't quite get the knot done himself. R: @jbdegrassifan95 and @LongLiveEclare tweet-requested pics of Munro and Aislinn together... here you go :)
Stefan Brogren (aka Mr. Simpson and the director of tons of your favorite episodes) was directing the eps they shot while I was there; it seemed like a remarkably calm and fun affair considering how much they need to get done every day in order to make sooo many episodes for the summer -- it could so easily be a stress factory. Stefan called me The-Mary, which killed me, and he saved me a nice seat right in front of the monitors which I was too shy to actually take up for too long, and I can vouch that he is in fact a righteous homeboy, as his office nameplate attests.
This is the Degrassi read-through room, where the actors first go through the new scripts together. And on the table is Panther, one of two cats wandering the office-y side of Epitome. Panther clearly feels that he deserves some time in front of the camera, and he is not wrong. The other cat, named Noggin, was more camera-shy.
@iTweetDegrassi tweet-dared me to go around the set posing like Munro in his Free the Children Haiti fundraiser video. Instead I got him to personally instruct me in the ways of the sassy lean and stare -- we're in Fiona's condo there, btw. Sorry about the quality -- so bummed that I didn't use my real camera for this one.
Last Christmas' Degrassi poster, personally desecrated by the cast in the Sunshine Lounge (which is the room that the cast hang in when they're not needed on set).
At one point I walked past the Sunshine Lounge and saw Ray Ablack full-on sunshine-lounging on the pool table, texting. In a tux. Totes regular times.
That's Aislinn Paul and Shannon Kook-Chun checking out Shannon's DSLR and talking about its tech specs, as they are both admitted full-on photo geeks.
Some other random observations:
- To those who don't already know: Shannon Kook-Chun (Zane) has a South African accent in real life. It's mesmerizing.
- Munro and Aislinn (Eli and Clare) both rock Birkenstocks IRL. I support this wholeheartedly, and I felt very vindicated about the time I put Birks in a Thing Du Jour and people thought they were lamerz. Triumph!
- Luke Bilyk and Alicia Josopovic (Drew and Bianca) have an almost supernatural simultaneous laugh thing going on -- they laugh the exact same way, at the same things, and at the exact same rate so it's literally like two voices doing the same laugh. They even switch speeds at the same time, like they move from "Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!" to "HAHAHAHA!" at the same time. Occasionally there are snorts. Great minds laugh alike. Also, they referred to themselves as "Danca" rather than "Drianca" -- controversy!
- The lockers are all fully "dressed" on the inside (as in all look like a real student's locker inside, with pics and contents), but there's no particular locker that's always "Alli's locker" or "Adam's locker" -- they stand by whichever one works best for the shot they need. And the doors are compressed wood rather than metal -- quieter.
- There is gum on the bottom of the desks in Ms. Dawes' classroom. Most likely from students who used to get bored to death at them in a real school. Just think: those students had no idea that their desks were destined to end up under Munro Chambers' butt. What noble and unpredictable fate might your school desks have?