Blog | teennick
- Posted on 12/12/2012 by Lisa
Sneak a peek at a few pictures from Drianca's big day. What a beautiful couple! (They've come SO FAR from the Degrassi boiler room.)
Don't miss Degrassi: Las Vegas, Friday at 9pm et on TeenNick. Are you dressing up to watch the wedding? Take a picture of your outfit and tweet it at @TeenNick!
- Posted on 11/26/2012 by Lisa
We've been choosing Degrassi Moments to highlight from each episode, and choosing the moments for Tonight, Tonight was tough, because this whole episode felt like a Degrassi moment! I mean... Drew's cucumber advice? And then the fall-out from that (haha)? Those were some of my favorite Degrassi moments of all time. And of course, the shirtless Eli moment, though in my opinion, the highlight of that scene is actually when Jake glides by Clare's doorway on his skates. Too funny.
First up: let's talk about that Missy chick. When Missy gave Adam her number, I was excited. She seemed cute, friendly, and a little bit weird -- in a good way. When she and Adam hung out, she seemed open-minded and fun... even after the cucumber incident. I was like "YES! Adam finally met a girl who likes him exactly the way he is!" But no. She was just messing with his head to help her band win. Not cool, Missy. Not cool.
I loved the advice Chaz Bono gave Adam, especially the line, "Love is messy, and there's obstacles in any relationship." That is so true. I loved Adam and Becky together, but I do think their relationship will take a lot of work. I'm sure Becky's parents will take a while to come around, but I hope they do. I'd love to see what happens when Becky's parents meet Audra for the first time.
Now... about Maya and Cam. I'm so glad she told him the truth about kissing Zig before he found out on his own, and I'm glad they're still together. How do you think Tori is going to handle it? She got so competitive with Maya about the pageant stuff. I hope she doesn't act that way about Zig, especially since he doesn't seem interested in her at all anymore. Anybody got any predictions for Tori's romantic future? Can you see her with any of the other Degrassi guys?
Meanwhile, at Clare and Jake's house, it's time for a family meeting! I'm proud of Clare for confronting her mom and Glenn about the inconsistent rules. That was a very grown up way to handle it. (Though I'm also secretly proud of her for "borrowing" the truck. It's always fun to see Clare's rebellious side.)
How about that little party at the end? I totally teared up when Drew asked Adam to be the best man at his wedding.
SAVE THE DATE: On Friday, December 14th at 9pm et, Degrassi goes to Las Vegas for Drew and Bianca's wedding. It's coming up so fast, and I haven't even picked out a dress! If you've never dressed up to watch a wedding on TV, Dec. 14th is your chance!
- Posted on 11/25/2012 by Lisa
I want to thank Degrassi for bringing the word "rapologize" into my life. If you haven't seen I Want It That Way, pt. 2 yet, watch it now. Spoilers below!
What did you think of Dallas' rapology? (Rewatch it here.) In the past, Dallas seemed to care a lot about his image. Remember how he freaked when Katie kissed Jake on the kiss cam, because he thought it made him look bad? It's hard to forget what he did to the roof garden, or how he stirred up so much trouble at Clare's birthday.
That said, he performed the rapology in front of the whole caf, and he seemed to mean it. How do you feel about him right now? Is Dallas becoming a nicer person? Or do you think he just REALLY wanted to go to the Jay-Z show?
Now, onto the subject of Alli and her pills. When she went over to the Torres house at 2 am, and pounded on the basement door, I reeeeallly wanted her to wake up Mrs. Torres. It would've been another chance for Audra to ask her famous question from Season 10, "Are you high?" After everything Alli has been through, I'm really disappointed in her for taking drugs that stop her from sleeping. I mean what was she thinking? Sleep is the BEST. (Unless you fall asleep at the wheel.) Alli seems like she's completely burned out on high school. I hope she keeps fast-tracking and makes it through, because I don't think she'd be happy to be stuck at Degrassi for another year.
Meanwhile, in Tristan-land... He wasn't doing drugs, but he did mess up his body in a pretty major way. Like I said last week, I have a good friend who tried a cleanse (just like the one Tristan was doing) a few years ago, and she ended up getting really sick from it. Like, the sickest she'd ever been. So if you hear anyone you know talking about a cleanse as if it's a healthy thing, please sit them down, and make them watch this episode. If Tristan wants to be healthier, he's got to listen to Owen (and me, haha) and do it the right way.
I'm glad Imogen/Fiona/Natalie worked out all their drama. And I'm glad we got a peek at Mama Coyne! I hope she's freed from house arrest in time to see Fiona graduate Degrassi.
What did you think of this episode?
- Posted on 11/11/2012 by Lisa
If you haven't seen "I Want It That Way, pt. 1" yet, watch it online before you read any further. Spoilers below!
Alli and Dave (a.k.a. Bhandurner) or Alli and Dallas (a.k.a. Bhandallas?)
Let's talk about Alli first. Why is a girl who's fast-tracking so she can get to MIT and conduct important cancer research hanging out with a guy who brags about "slow tracking" and "doing a victory lap"? It's like, she's on a fast train to success, and his train is stalled. Let's do a quick poll. Feel free to discuss in the comments:
Now that I think about it, my answer is "Neither." I know she misses Dave, but I don't think she has time for a relationship right now. No guy is going to be cool with it if she always cancels plans or shows up late.
I'm sad that Alli thinks she can solve her problems with a pill. I don't think there is a pill on earth that can help her right now. I think she needs a break for REAL -- one night off isn't going to cut it.
Now, onto the subject of Tristan. I totally related to his experience in yoga class. Some of those poses can be tricky when you're new (or kind of uncoordinated, like me). I think the worst part was that he wasn't honest with Fab. The whole situation would've been much less embarrassing if Tristan had just admitted that he's new to yoga.
Could you see Tristan as an action hero? I like the idea of an action hero who's not all muscley. All of us non-muscled people need someone to look up to! And we already know Eli likes unconventional casting choices... I hope he casts Tristan as the hero.
Seriously though, Tristan's low self-esteem is breaking my heart. I get that he wants the lead in Eli's movie, and that he wants Fab to like him, but I am horrified about the cleanse thing. One of my friends tried something like that a few years ago and she ended up getting the sickest she'd ever been in her life. It was scary. The human body needs actual food, not just weird lemonade.
What did you think about the whole thing with Fiona, Imogen, and Natalie (Imogen's mom)? I get why Imogen's mom is concerned about her hanging out at Fiona's loft. The no-parents thing tends to freak other parents out in a big way. I was weirded out by Fiona's insistence on getting close to Natalie, though. She's dating Imogen, not Imogen's family. I guess every relationship is different, but for me, families don't have much of a role until you've been dating a long time.
I have one last (but important) thing to say about this episode:
Remember when Dallas said "High school is as good as it gets, so why rush it?" In my humble opinion, HE IS VERY, VERY WRONG. I guess we have to remember that for Dallas, high school involves being the captain of the Ice Hounds and being treated like star... but I think even for him, the best days are yet to come.
What did you think of "I Want It That Way, pt. 1"? Don't miss Part 2, Friday at 9pm et!
- Posted on 11/03/2012 by Lisa
My-oh-Maya, lots of stuff happened in the latest Degrassi. (If you haven't seen it yet, watch it here. *Spoilers below*)
Maya and Tori's friendship has been complicated since the beginning (Remember when Tori cried in Mr. Simpson's office and convinced Maya to talk to Zig for her?), but this whole pageant thing added another layer of complexity. Tori convinced Maya to do the pageant because she thought it would be good for Maya's self-esteem, but then in this episode, Tori started saying things like "You just aren't the right pretty." That kind of talk can be pretty damaging to a girl's self-esteem.
Of course, Maya wanted to get back at Tori, so she asked Zig to perform with her at the pageant. I keep thinking over everything that happened between Maya and Tori (and Zig) and wondering: Was Maya and Tori's friendship always destined to fall apart? Or do you think they'll get through this and stay friends? I loved the pageant interview scene (rewatch it here), but I feel like if Tori finds out about this kiss, she may freak.
While I'm on the subject of the kiss... Zig seemed to think it meant something. Do you think it did? Do you think he'll break up with Tori?
Meanwhile, in Marisol and Mo's relationship... he's been keeping secrets, she's been invading his privacy and making wild assumptions. I'm glad Marisol finally figured out what lots of sensible people suspected last week: Mo isn't addicted to drugs -- he has diabetes. I understand that he kept it a secret because he wanted Marisol to see him a certain way, but if you were dating him, wouldn't you want to know the truth?
The truth seems to have a way of coming out eventually -- it definitely did for Adam, when he got a bloody nose playing the sport he didn't have permission to play. I was impressed with how well Audra handled it, though. Instead of getting mad that Adam forged her signature, she seemed to understand why he had. When she told Adam "I'm so proud of the man you're becoming," I teared up a little. I'm so proud of the mom Audra is becoming! She seems so much more supportive of Adam than she used to.
One last thought about this episode: Remember when Cam said "I'll try harder," and Maya said "You shouldn't have to try"? A lot of people (like Maya, maybe) seem to think relationships should just be easy... but don't good relationships usually involve a fair amount of work and communication? I feel like it's important to let the people you're dating know what you want/need from them. Who do you think has the strongest relationship on Degrassi right now? I'm torn between Eli and Clare or Drew and Bianca. Both of those couples have been through so much that I feel like they really understand each other.
What did you think of this episode?
- Posted on 10/26/2012 by Lisa
I love Fridays, especially when they involve a new Degrassi. Let's talk about tonight's episode! (If you haven't seen it yet, watch it here. *Spoilers below*)
My sister is visiting, so she watched Degrassi with me tonight. We were both pretty mortified by the first scene (rewatch it here!), when Maya takes off her shirt to get Cam's attention, and ends up embarrassing herself. I am just as awkward as Maya is, so it hurt my heart to see her fall off Cam's bed when she was trying to be sexy.
Hey, if you're in high school right now, I have a question for you -- Does anyone in your school actually wear fake eyelashes to class? I think of false eyelashes are a "special occasion" thing, perfect for days when you're entering a beauty pageant, going to prom, or wearing a Halloween costume. I can't imagine Maya or anyone else wearing them to school on a daily basis. Also: I don't like that she's only going glam to impress Cam. (Haha. My inner Imogen voice just said, "I rhymed, so it must be true!")
I don't think Maya should have to work that hard to impress anyone. She's smart, friendly, nice, talented, and super cute. She and Cam seemed like they'd be so good together, but maybe Cam just has too much going on in his life (and his head) to be the kind of boyfriend Maya wants. Do you think Caya/Camaya are over for good? And when Maya says she wants a "guy like Zig," does she really mean she wants Zig?
I'm amazed that Marisol, Katie, Mo, and Jake convinced their parents to let them go on a couples' vacation to Puerto Vallarta. Would your parents let you go on a trip to Mexico with friends (and no parents) in high school? I feel like my parents would've just laughed at me, and said, "No parents? No way."
I get that Marisol was concerned about Mo's health form, but I don't agree with how she dealt with it. When Marisol found the needle, my sister said, "I can't believe she looked in his bag. I would be so mad if somebody did that to me." I agree... no matter how concerned you are about someone's well-being, invading their privacy is never the answer. Do you think Mo's secret is going to ruin his relationship with Marisol? Or will the fact that Marisol went through his stuff destroy his trust in her? Either way, I feel like they're headed in a bad direction. Relationships are all about communication, and these two aren't exactly communicating.
I like that Adam and Dallas are getting along, but I'm not sure Dallas is the best person to turn to for advice. (When Audra said "I already have one son with brain damage," I couldn't help thinking about how Dallas encouraged Drew to drink so much at the house party.) We've seen Dallas be a jerk to so many people... I don't want him to get Adam in trouble. I felt very overprotective of Adam in this episode for some reason. If you were Adam, would you forge the permission slip? I'd be tempted.
Don't miss "Doll Parts, Pt. 2" next Friday at 9pm et!
- Posted on 10/23/2012 by Lisa
This Friday, Degrassi hits 300 episodes! Those 300 episodes include thousands (literally!) of unforgettable Degrassi moments, and it's hard to pick favorites... but our intern, Kristen, gave it a shot.
Here's Kristen's countdown of the "Top 10 Moments in Degrassi History." Feel like writing a top 10 list of your own? Post it in the comments!
10. Fiona Takes A Stand - While on the surface, rich and handsome New York prep schooler Bobby Beckonridge seemed like the perfect catch, he was very abusive toward Fiona. Since Fiona is known for being a bit dramatic at times, no one seems to believe that Bobby is hurting her. Fiona stands by her claim, pressing charges against Bobby. Ultimately, it's her word against Bobby's, until his ex-girlfriend Tinsley speaks out against him as well, helping Fiona win the case.
9. Emma and Spinner Get Married - Pretty much everyone was sure it was Emma and Sean that were meant to be together forever. But one drunken night in Niagara Falls, Emma and Spinner get married at a casino chapel. Unsure of what to do next, and confused about their feelings, they eventually realize that after being friends for so many years they really are in love with each other. They have a beautiful beach wedding with all their family and friends - but, of course, it's not Degrassi without a little drama. Cue the Jane and Manny cat fight!
8. Alli Runs Away - Alli doesn't mean to get into trouble, it just seems to happen. Tired of all the drama at Degrassi, Alli transfers to an all-girls school for a fresh start. Trouble seems to follow her, though, and her new friend Malika gets her suspended for smoking on campus. When Sav and her parents refuse to believe the truth -- that the cigarette wasn't hers -- it's the last straw and she runs away from home.
7. Craig Trashes a Hotel Room - Craig books a hotel room to stay in with Ashley prior to her father's wedding. They have sex for the first time and are sure that they're in love. At the wedding rehearsal party, Craig proposes to her, but a surprised Ashley gently refuses. Enraged, Craig trashes the hotel room, causing thousands of dollars in damage.
6. Adam Lets Go of Gracie - Tired of trying to be Gracie for everyone else, Adam realizes - with Clare's help - that he doesn't need to change who he is. It's more important for him to be himself and be happy. Inspired, he gathers his close friends and family together, and starts a bonfire to burn Gracie's clothes. Adam is ready to be himself.
5. The Boiler Room Incident on Vegas Night - Degrassi seems to have bad luck when it comes to dances, and the "Night in Vegas" dance was no exception - in fact, it led the school to implement a new uniform policy. One of the most infamous moments of the night was when Drew cheated on Alli with Bianca in the boiler room, earning himself a "gross by association" reputation.
4. Manny Goes Topless - Talk about baring it all! Upset that her parents don't support her acting dreams, Manny gets drunk at Peter's house party. Alone with Peter, she exposes herself on camera, saying her now-famous lines, "I'm going to be an actress, like, Academy Award winning. And you can sell this for a million dollars, 'cause I'm going to be FAMOUS!"
3. Eli Crashes Morty - When Clare starts to feel smothered by her relationship with Eli, she decides she needs some space. Becoming manic, Eli decides to crash his beloved hearse, Morty, to prove how much he loves Clare. He ends up in the hospital, where Clare officially ends the relationship because she feels he is manipulating her.
2. J.T.'s Death - Before the Lakehurst-Degrassi merger, Degrassi found itself in a violent rivalry with students from Lakehurst when J.T. started dating Lakehurst transfer student Mia. Things escalated during Liberty's birthday party, when J.T. found Lakehurst students Johnny DiMarco and Drake Lempkey peeing on his car. When he called them out on it, Drake pulled out a knife and stabbed J.T., resulting in his death.
1. The School Shooting - The Degrassi event that affected me most was the 2004 school shooting, an incident that put Degrassi on the map as a show that really does "go there." A year after putting his girlfriend into a coma and getting expelled from Degrassi, Rick returns to the school. Bullied and feared, he becomes the target of a Carrie-esque prank during the Whack-Your-Brain competition. Tricked by Spinner and Jay into thinking Jimmy was behind the prank, Rick snaps and comes to school with a gun. He shoots Jimmy, leaving him paralyzed for life, and is accidentally shot and killed himself when Sean tries to stop him from shooting Emma.
So... what do you think of Kristen's picks? Which Degrassi moments will stick with YOU forever? Post your own top 10 in the comments!
- Posted on 10/23/2012 by Lisa
To celebrate the 300th episode of Degrassi (which airs this Friday), iTunes is having a Degrassi sale!! Check it out.
Every season is $9.99 or under until 11/6, so if you've never seen some of the older seasons, it's a great time to get caught up.
Has anybody out there seen ALL 300 episodes? Feel free to brag in the comments. :)
- Posted on 09/26/2012 by Lisa
"This is gonna be the best term ever." - Eli. Is he telling the truth? Watch the new episodes -- starting October 12th at 9pm et!! -- and decide for yourself.
What's your favorite moment from the promo? I love Tristan's line about how "everything will be sunshine and unicorns!" because on Degrassi, that's never true for long... :)
- Posted on 08/23/2012 by Ryanmcl
Hear any music you liked on Degrassi last week? You can listen to samples of these songs on the Degrassi show page. Click here and scroll down -- the music player's toward the bottom.
"Bullet Train" by Stef Lang
Check the Degrassi page for a sample of this song, heard in "Sabotage, pt. 2"
"Big Blue Wave" by Hey Ocean
Rapid Empire- EP
Check the Degrassi page for a sample of this song, heard in "Sabotage, pt. 2"
"Shake It Out" by Florence & The Machine
Check the Degrassi page for a sample of this song, heard in "Scream, pt. 2"