Blog | teennick
- Posted on 10/29/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW; watch the ep now if you haven't already. Then let's talk....
1) It was so hard to watch Clare ask questions like "Why do I have to suffer because they fell out of love?" -- questions that really just don't have any good answer. Did anyone out there with divorced parents feel pangs of recognition watching Clare go through this? What would you tell her if you could talk to her right now?
2) So very pleased to meet you, Bullfrog and Cece! Are Eli's parents anything like you expected? Also, would you freak out if you found out your bf/gf's ex used to live with them? Like in their room?
3) Clare and Eli are very different... do you think they're different in good ways, or ways that will pull them apart at some point?
4) Wow. Adam and Fiona on the steps... that was definitely some bonding going on. Who do you think makes a better boyfriend for Fiona, Drew or Adam?
5) So, Dave and Wesley. On the one hand... dude, Dave and Alli have so much in common, it's really a wonder they didn't end up together. Why can't people appreciate the friends they have rather than wanting "cooler" ones? On the OTHER hand... you know, Dave has some interests that Wes doesn't. It seems natural that he'd want some other friends, too. I guess the problem is when he tries to replace one with the other, instead of having lots of friends. What did you think of the Dave/Wes dynamic tonight?
- Posted on 10/29/2010 by Mary
Here's all the song cues I could find from tonight's new episodes...
- "A Place So Small" by Kate York (that's her on the left)
- "Better With You" by Five Times August
- "Dizzy from the Ride" by Alex Roots -- this one, by the way, is the show's theme song. And, fyi, we recently learned that Alex Roots is a Virgo who loves tea, Coco Mademoiselle perfume, Paramore, and tidiness. She says the song "was actually written about how clumsy I am! Everyone who knows me best refers to me as a ditz because you can never trust me to not drop, spill, break or smash something. And as the lyrics in the song say... 'My body's always letting me down'."
- "Don't" by Jesse Ruben
- "Crown Me" by pikihead productions featuring m. deezy
- "You Ain't Coming By" by Kristen Jones
- "Kiss Me" by Molly Thomason
- "Warn Me" by Sports: The Band
- "I Just Want to Love You" by The Strange Familiar
- Posted on 10/28/2010 by Mary
Here's the first scene of tomorrow night's heartbreaking Degrassi ep.
Clare had been waiting for her parents to finally say the words... they're getting divorced. But now that it's official, it feels like it's not even close to the end of the sadness and loss she'll go through.
To any real life someones out there somewhere who are having a day pretty much exactly like this one... consider yourself hugged. It'll get better, for you and for Clare.
- Posted on 10/28/2010 by Mary
So I see on the twitters that you and Malcolm seem pretty tight in real life. You guys make music together?
Oh yeah, I think that's how we really formed a friendship. We both knew each other from other projects and knew who each other were. It was more or less like, "Hey, you did that one project?" "Yeah! You did that one project?" "Yeah! OK, good, we're friends."
But when we cracked out the Mac and started using Garage Band we bonded like no other. We have so much music we've been making lately we want to make a mixtape and just throw it out there, have fun with it.
What are you planning for Halloween this year?
I was actually in the costume shop the other day, and I feel like the prices of costumes are going up so drastically, it makes me just want to throw on a hood and be Justin Bieber. It's just the simplest way to go about it... last year I was Justin Bieber. I said "Baby baby baby," and that was my whole entire costume.
OK, so, with Snoop Dogg on this week's episode... I was kind of digging through your IMDB profile, and there's something about you auditioning for Soul Plane?
Oh God! Wow, these are gonna come up. Yeah, when I lived in Texas, in order to get out there on camera, I was a nine year old who decided to dress up like a thug and audition for Soul Plane. I think my audition tape consisted of me lip synching Eminem's "Lose Yourself"... I didn't get it, but I ended up becoming good friends with the kid who did get it.
Sweet! So, we talked on the site about Maggie; about how when Walt first introduces himself to her as "Tom," and she knows who he is but she doesn't say anything. Do you think that's shady behavior on her part, or did she not have a choice?
I think... I can kind of understand where he's coming from, but also where she's coming from. I honestly believe, putting myself in that position, that if she would've said she knew who Walt was, he would have just brushed it off and been like, "OK, it's another girl that knows who I am" and moved on. I think it kind of gave him the time to put down his wall. And when he did, he realized that she's actually a good girl who isn't out to get him. I think it was a smart choice on her part. It's a cute little story they have.
Yeah! I love the scene when she tells him she's studying to be an actress and he just kind of lets go of her hand...
Every single time my friends call me they quote me on that line, "I don't date actresses."
So are you glad you don't have celebrity parents, or do you kind of wish you did?
Um, personally, I'm not into the LA stuff when it comes to liking that. I see acting as a career and it's something that I love to do, and I love to work. But I don't know, I find it so hard to balance stuff already, that having parents who were celebrities... I love my parents to death and I'd still love them if they were famous, but I'm glad I grew up with a normal life. Unlike Walt.
- Posted on 10/27/2010 by Mary
Look out! It's break-up season! Shia Labeouf and Carey Mulligan apparently called it quits a little while ago, and so did Penn Badgley and Blake Lively. I guess at least both couples got a little bit of time to get over things in relative privacy before word spread. These, I guess, are the benefits of not being a twitter addict who compulsively tells everyone the details of one's existence.
Prince William and Kate Middleton have been dropping subtle signals (like consciously walking together in front of photographers) that maybe marriage is imminent. It's interesting to think about real bona-fide royalty in contrast to Hollywood royalty like the people on Gigantic. Similarities in terms of not having chosen to be famous -- just being born into it and never knowing any other way. Differences in terms of -- can you imagine having no say whatsoever in what your future job would be, like Prince William did? I feel suffocated just thinking about it.
Whatever horror story you have from your prom or photo day at school, you might have a hard time beating Hillary Duff's: she lost a tooth at breakfast the morning of her wedding.
And our beloved Rupert Grint says that seeing the aged version of himself in the new Harry Potter movie was sort of disconcerting.
- Posted on 10/26/2010 by Mary
'Tis the season! For little tiny chocolate bars, and little tiny Degrassi minis, where our beloved Degrassi characters can "go there" in ways that just would not make sense otherwise.
Last night we saw the monster moon transform Wesley into Holly J (the horror!). (Vid is over here!)
And tonight we see Eli fend off the suspiciously overzealous advances of Clare (she's always been the kind of girl who looks for brains in a guy).
Two more vids are coming (they're on TV during the 9pm Degrassi airings, and then online afterwards).
Oh and check out this cute li'l pic of Munro and Aislinn behind the scenes at the shoot. Awww/ewww.
- Posted on 10/25/2010 by Mary
Clare's family breakdown just gets more and more real...
Does Adam have a prayer with Fiona?
And what's going on with Dave?
- Posted on 10/23/2010 by Mary
Ah, so THAT's why Joey was lurking around "visiting Walt" in that first scene on this Friday's Gigantic. He was just, you know, doing the sweetest thing ever for Anna.
Plus, I love how this scene conveys those rare, sweet, warm fuzzies you sometimes get on the phone with someone you care about. So nice nice. Gigantic is really good at phone calls.
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Mary
In my opinion, this might be one of the best conversations ever on Degrassi, in terms of the questions it raises. Let's break it down piece by piece. What could Declan and Holly J each have done differently to prevent the emotional fallout they both suffered?
Holly J: I didn't want to. I told you that.
Declan: I thought that was because of Sav.
Holly J: Does it matter why?? You didn't listen. You insisted.
When things started, Holly J said no. Declan could have prevented all of this from happening if he had listened to her and believed her, instead of trying to evaluate her reasons for saying no and trying to change her mind. Why be with someone who doesn't completely, unequivocally want to be with you in that moment?
Declan could and should have backed off in that moment. He had a choice to back off, and it would have been an infinitely better choice. Personally, I have to say I'm really angry at him for not backing off.
But he didn't, and then we come to the next point:
Declan: Yeah, but then you kissed me. I thought you changed your mind. Holly J: Maybe I did. I was confused. I'm not saying it was all your fault.
After Declan made his choice, Holly J had a choice about her next move, too. Instead of repeating herself unequivocally or attempting to physically remove herself from the situation, she decided to go forward even though she was unsure. And confusion is a terrible state to be in when you do the most intimate and vulnerable thing you can do with your body. Because the conflicted feeling doesn't go away. And that's a horrible way to feel after the fact, when you can't un-do things.
Holly J should have listened to her confusion, and stuck with her conviction of "no," rather than giving conflicting information to Declan. She could have prevented this from happening, too (assuming Declan wouldn't have forced her -- which I don't think he would have, do you?)
Both of them messed up. And both of them are left feeling horrible.
Anyway I've seen a lot of conversation about this episode talking about the question of rape, and a lot of conflicting ideas about what is and what isn't. Here's some information I've found incredibly helpful: RAINN's (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) information page describing what rape and sexual assault are, in easy to understand language.
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW. Watch the episode first, here. Then, let's talk.
1) Declan and Holly J... I'm gonna talk about this more in a separate blog. But what are your thoughts on the episode?
2) Holly J regrets what happened. And I'm sure now that he knows Holly J regrets it, Declan regrets it, too. So, a regrettable situation for all involved. What do you think each of them could and should have done to prevent this from happening?
3) Clare and Eli... as much as it was difficult to watch Clare being so smug at that dinner with her parents, especially since she was hurting Eli, I still felt compassion for her because of what she's going through. How did you feel about Clare during that scene?
4) What did you think of Bizarro-Clare's temporary look? What if she just started dressing like that all the time from now on?