Blog | teennick
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Lisa
Hear any songs you liked on Degrassi and/or Gigantic tonight? Here's your chance to find out who sings them:
- "Dizzy from the Ride" by Alex Roots
- "C'mon Ya'll" by Salme Dalhstrom
- "Diamonds" by Stef Lang
- "Because I'm Awesome" by The Dollyrots
- "City Stars" by Line Spectra
- "Travellin'" by Analog Smith
- Posted on 10/21/2010 by Mary
I caught up with Grace Gummer and Gia Mantegna (aka Anna and Vanessa from Gigantic) in New York recently to talk about the show, and their lives, and stuff and junk.
Did you guys spend much time in New York growing up?
Grace: I grew up in Connecticut in a small town and then I moved to NY in high school. Right around Sept 11. Yeah. I lived in LA when I was really little and I went to preschool there. So I was really mad at my parents when we left because it's like the perfect place for a kid. You know, you like rollerblade on Venice Beach and you're outside all the time. But yeah, I grew up on the east coast.
Gia: I was born out here and lived out here but I was so little I barely remember it. And we kind of went all over the place, NY, Chicago, LA... so I consider myself an LA girl cause I sound like I'm from LA.
Grace: I do too, weirdly.
Gia: But I went to high school for a solid four years in LA.
Having famous parents like the characters on Gigantic, did you have any experiences trying to guard your privacy as children or teenagers?
Grace: No. I mean in some instances I would question who were my real friends. But I think that's what every teenager goes through in a way. Same kind of thing if you had blue hair. And you're like does that person like me because I have blue hair? But I like my blue hair. You know what I mean?
Gia: Yeah -- I've never questioned whether somebody was friends with me because first of all, nobody my age would even care about who my dad is.
Grace: But also, for me it wasn't part of my life so I never thought about it.
Gia: It wasn't something that was hanging over my head ever... it was just being a teenager.
What elements of the characters and stories do you feel are true to life for the children of celebrities? And what do you feel are not quite as accurate?
Gia: My character Vanessa on the show never went to school, she was always homeschooled, she was emancipated when she was like 14 or 15. So she never really knew how to communicate with people her own age. So that's what makes her kind of twisted, and that's kind of where her issues are at, that's what makes it so difficult to relate to the other kids on the show. I feel like that's maybe true for some child actors today. But what's true in the bigger aspect of things is the drama that they deal with, relationships and sexuality and...
Grace: ...friendships and drama ...
Gia: That is all completely real. Everybody's had a first love. Everybody knows what it's like to have a break-up.
Grace: Or obsess...
Gia: Everybody knows what it's like to be bullied online.
Grace: Or dream about your perfect date.
Gia: So all of that is true to real life. With a little paparazzi thrown in there.
Grace: And glam, and red carpets.
Which is kind of the point of the show, right? No matter what, adolescence is...
Grace: Really hard!
If you had a friend who was going through what Anna's going through with Joey being sort of inscrutable, what advice would you give to her?
Grace: I think something that I wish I would have known at that age is that you have so much of your life ahead of you and there are SO many other boys. And as long as you stay true to who you are and pick someone who makes you feel good about yourself, I think that's really important.
Gia: Yeah, make yourself feel happy.
Grace: And make sure you have your own accomplishments and goals and you're independent of each other. I think that's something really important that I didn't realize. I used to think that that one guy was the biggest deal and it would never happen. You know?
- Posted on 10/21/2010 by Lisa
What's going on with Holly J and Declan? Watch the first scene of "Love Lockdown, pt. 2" right now and don't miss tomorrow night's episode. (Seriously, do NOT miss this one.)
- Posted on 10/20/2010 by Mary
* Celebu-daughter Willow Smith (Will and Jada Pinkett Smith's daughter) -- whose age won't even hit double digits until next week -- went on 106 and Park this week to debut her first music video -- watch the interview here. Observations:
1) Oh my god. That song is genuinely awesome. "I whip my HAIR back and forth..." She reminds me of Li'l Mama! Or maybe like Extra-Tiny Mama. And her performance in the video is like... that girl is NINE? And not in a "she's acting too mature for her age" way; in a "that girl has STYLE" way.
2) I will always love Willow Smith's hair. Always. Her whole look actually. She's like an even younger Tavi Gevinson.
3) I wanted to hug her when she cried 'cause they gave her a plaque (around 10:30 in that 106 and Park video)!
4) Do you guys think she's too young? To handle what comes along with fame? I mean in so many ways she looks like she's just having a ball but... remember how people felt comfortable saying mean things about Miley Cyrus in print even when she was only like 15, 16? Pleeease don't anyone start saying horrible things about Willow Smith! It seems like her parents keep things sane around that house -- she talked in the video about how she's not allowed on twitter yet -- so hopefully they'll help her keep perspective if she ever goes through fame backlash.
* T.I. helped talk a suicidal man down from jumping from an Atlanta skyscraper last week -- and had a sincere heart-to-heart with him afterwards. The story's here. While the conversation they had won't solve all of that guy's problems, the most important thing is that T.I. interrupted the attempt and the man was taken to a hospital where he'll get the help he needs. Says T.I., "It wasn't heroism. It was just me listening to my spirit. I have a very hard time taking any credit for it. It was God's work. I just showed up."
* And did Russell Brand and Katy Perry already get quietly married? Maybe? He's reportedly wearing a wedding band already. But, maybe he's just having fun with the paps? Who knows.
- Posted on 10/19/2010 by Mary
Sneak peek pics of what's to come on this Friday's Degrassi! Check 'em out...
So... what exactly happened last Friday between Declan and Holly J... and what will it mean for each of them?
And looks like Eli's not sure if Clare is still the same girl he fell for...
- Posted on 10/18/2010 by Lisa
If the three main guys from Gigantic were walking down the street toward you, like in this pic, would you be able to choose a fave?
They're all cute, and they're all crushable, but which one's the crushable-est in your eyes? I posted a new quiz that'll help narrow it down: Who's Your Gigantic Crush? (Then again, who says you can't have more than one? Take it as many times as you want.)
- Posted on 10/15/2010 by Mary
Ummm. So... well, first SPOILERS BELOW if you haven't watched Love Lockdown pt. 1 yet. (It'll be online soon, don't worry.) Everyone else:
1) What just happened with Holly J and Declan? What are your thoughts? I was gripping the sides of my chair and just... upset but confused and flabbergasted and confused and upset. I don't think Declan is an evil person -- at ALL -- but that really, really upset me, personally. What was your reaction to that last scene?
2) Oh God. What about Sav? Ohhh man.
3) Did you see that glint in Clare's eye when she realized her parents were united in opposition to her piercing? Ruh roh...
4) Here's how we know Eli truly, truly cares for Clare: he's worried her parents won't like him. What's the opposite of a red flag, a green flag? Well then that right there is what we call a new boyfriend green flag. Eli... your perfection is simply intoxicating.
5) Haha, as much as I felt bad for Chantay fighting the good fight to save a Spirit Squad no one else seems to care about... I probably would have felt pretty meh if the cheerleading squad (if you could call it that) got disbanded in high school. What clubs would you fight to save if Simpson shut them down?
- Posted on 10/15/2010 by Mary
Y'all... here are all the music cues I could find from tonight's Degrassi and Gigantic eps. May they help you find the song that caught your ear. Amen.
- "Who You Are" by Five Times August
- "Underneath My Skin" by Stella Project
- "These Roses" by Gin Wigmore
- "Sammy Decter" (instrumental) by Eve and the Ocean
- "Could It Be You" by Hwood
- "Break It Up" by These Kids Wear Crowns
- "Can't Kill Love" by Air Traffic Control
- Posted on 10/14/2010 by Mary
Look who's back... and he seems just EVER-so-delighted that Holly J is dating Sav.
And someone else is back toooooo....
Or come watch the first scene!
- Posted on 10/14/2010 by Mary
At 4pm et today, President Obama will be having a live Town Hall -- with YOU. Is there anything you want to say to him? Anything you want to ask? Whether it's about the economy, Afghanistan, the environment, gay rights, health care, college money, your school and your teachers, bullying... whatever's on your mind, we want to know about it. And MTV News wants to let President Obama know, too.
You can tweet questions and comments for the event NOW -- click here to check out MTV's Twitter Tracker, and tweet your own questions using hashtags like these:
Or make up your own #ask hashtag...
MTV will also be looking at tweets with #mygreatesthope and #mygreatestfear ... so you can let the president know what's on your mind.
We'll see you there.