Blog | the vamps
- Posted on 09/05/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Credit: Andrew Zaeh
If you aren't already smitten by singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes, brace yourself. The Vine-star-turned-superstar-on-the-rise has stolen the hearts of many (in under six seconds, no less!) and is about to break out in a major way. We caught up with our brand new Fresh Artist to get exclusive details about his life on tour with Austin Mahone and The Vamps, his biggest influences, and so much more!
1. Congratulations on all of your recent success! What is a day in the life of Shawn Mendes like right now?
Wake up on a tour bus in a new city every day, find the nearest shower, head to radio station to say "Hello," grab some food, then meet some fans, then hit the stage. :-)
2. What was the inspiration behind your hit song "Life of the Party"?
The song is inspired by the feeling of not fitting in or not being comfortable with who you are. The lyrics basically say that you should be yourself and that you can be amazing regardless of whether you feel you fit in or not.
3. What's it like being on tour with TeenNick faves Austin Mahone and the Vamps? Has anything crazy or funny happened during your time together?
It's awesome and everyone is just so chill and relaxed and having a good time. We're always cracking jokes with each other behind stage. I'd say the craziest moment was getting chased by 400 fans at one of the first shows.
4. When you started recording covers on Vine and YouTube, did you ever think your music would spread as much as it has?
I really didn't think it would, I kind of just started doing it because I loved posting covers and then it just spiraled into this crazy thing as I kept posting. It's really beyond my expectations.
5. What do you think about the power of connecting with people in a six-second video?
It's so cool because in six seconds you have to really find something special in a song and impress people a lot to connect with them. I think that's been a big thing for me and my fans connecting.
6. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Definitely Ed Sheeran, Justin Timberlake, just how he holds himself and such, and Bruno Mars is such an unbelievable performer.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked Shawn a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of Shawn, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in tonight at 10pm ET!
- Posted on 06/17/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
If you're not from the U.K., there's a chance that your ears have yet to stumble upon the sweet sounds of British pop-rock quartet, The Vamps. These fresh-faced lads are not only perfectly well-coiffed crooners, they're also masters of catch-as-heck tunes that basically inspire impromptu dance parties.
The Vamps are breaking out in a major way, and we are SUPER excited to have them join the distinguished roster of TeenNick Top 10's Fresh Artists! To get you up to speed on all of their awesomeness, check out our exclusive interview with the boys below. And don't forget to tune in to see more The Vamps on TeenNick Top 10, this Friday, at 10pm ET!
1. You guys have a pretty cool story about coming together as a band. Exactly how did The Vamps come to be? Did you ever think you'd get to where you are today?
We all met through YouTube. James was the first, he found Brad. They did some writing together and got on really well. Then they were shown videos of Tris drumming by a mutual friend and started putting covers on YouTube. The three of them got signed but they wanted to find someone else so they could be a full band. That's when I [Connor] joined!
2. Who are some of your musical influences?
The Kooks, Taylor Swift, Arctic Monkeys, and Green Day.
3. When you're not on tour or in the studio, what do you do for fun as a band?
We normally spend our days off outside exploring, depending on where we are. If it's cold and wet then we hit the gym and watch films. Brad is normally in the bath!
4. If you could collaborate with any musician, past or present, who would it be and why?
We all think Ed Sheeran would be great. His acoustic style could work really well with ours. Plus, he's such a nice dude.
5. What is one little known fact about the band that might surprise your fans?
We worked out the other day that our "home" venue is actually the O2 Arena in London, which holds 18,000 [people]. We've played it seven times in our first year, which is pretty crazy. Also, Connor used to be an astronaut.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked The Vamps a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of these guys, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in this Friday at 10PM ET!