Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 05/21/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOOOOOOOOOW if you haven't watched the Degrassi season finale yet but everyone else... let's bond.
1) Yo. This might have been hormonal but... I cried. Every time Declan and Holly J looked at each other and you could tell how much they genuinely love each other... I died inside. I love love. Anyone else a sop like me?
2) Also, score one for Holly J for teaching us all what a little patience and flexibility can do in a relationship -- I totally thought this was headed in a "Holly J is going to get her heart trampled" direction and instead, it was "Holly J is going to get what she wants by being tender, instead of being a hard-ass." What did you think was going to happen?
3) How much would it freak you out if your bf/gf had to kiss someone else for a play? 'Cause I feel like it wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but maybe that's 'cause I've never had to actually see it happen.
4) How many "L bombs" have you dropped -- in a relationship situation, not a friends one. And how did it go?
5) Regardless of how you feel about Jenna, you gotta admit she can sing, right?
6) Dude. Chantay probably did already have the germs. That's what I was thinking too!
7) Uhh... did anyone see that Shark in the Water video? The carnival? With all the Degrassi people? Interesting.
- Posted on 05/20/2010 by Mary
Soooo I met Charlotte Arnold recently, at a thing, which I can't tell you about, but did I mention that you really probably definitely want to watch the Degrassi season finale tomorrow night at 9 p.m. et? Anyway, from my time spent with her , I have compiled for you this list of...
10 Interesting Charlotte Arnold Facts Many of Which Are Also Reasons I Now Have a Total Girl Crush On Her .
1) That's her natural hair color -- she has what they call "virgin hair", meaning it's never been processed.
2) She loves Leonard Cohen and she went to see him twice on his last tour.
3) She's a total journalist. Not just because she's studying journalism in college (perhaps with an eye toward broadcast, which I can see her completely owning at) but because it's just in her nature to always be asking people about themselves; their work, their lives, whatever. For instance at lunch, she started a round of "which Degrassi character do you most identify with" -- and not because she was like, waiting for her turn to talk, but because she seemed to genuinely want to know what everyone's character was. (PS: she said she has Manny's sense of humor, and Jane's Jane-ness, or at least she wants Jane's Jane-ness.)
4 ) Which makes sense because she and Paula Brancati are good friends in real life.
5) She says Sam Earle is 'the love of her life' -- which is Charlotte-speak for 'he's exceptionally cute and smart', not that she actually wants to break up with her boyfriend for him.
6) And she's totally Team Clare, if you were wondering.
7) She has Alexz Johnson's old dressing room at Epitome.
8) She has tiny feet, like size 5, which I can tell you from experience makes it IMPOSSIBLE to find shoes. But she says she can swing a 6 if the shoes are important.
9) She works hard for the money, honey. Out of all the cast members there that day, she had to stay the longest -- like 13, 14 hours? -- because her scenes were scheduled all over the day. And that whole time she was in costume and full makeup, which involved a jauntily-angled hairpiece so that she couldn't lie down and take a nap in-between. And even at the tail end of that long-ass day, she could still nail a smile that looked fresh as a daisy. Oh, and she didn't complain once. The entire day. Stephanie Cohen (an Epitome bigwig and long-time Degrassi cast den mother) told me that's completely standard for Charlotte -- always delivers, never complains.
10) And one time she almost got eaten by a tiger, but I'll tell you about that another time.
- Posted on 05/20/2010 by Lisa
After Mary posted about Declan's wardrobe awhile back, great1zero wrote in with a question about Declan's striped hoodie:
"I have been trying to identify the designer of it for awhile now but haven' t had any luck and was hoping you could help out. Declan wears a lot of cool clothes and I never seem to see any name brands on any of them."
I checked in with Steve Wright, the wardrobe supervisor on Degrassi. He says, "The hoodies in question are from Montreal, Canada. Point Zero is the brand." Steve also mentioned that Declan wears a lot of Armani Exchange and that "you can find great stuff at the outlet store for cheap."
So there you go! YAY, now we can all dress like Declan.
- Posted on 05/19/2010 by Mary
Can it really be the end already? Finale sounds so... final. No fair.
And yet, we've had such a lovely season. And we've got the movie coming this summer. And... I have a feeling you're not exactly going to be bummed out on Degrassi after you watch the finale this Friday. (9pm et! Don't be late, son!)
- Posted on 05/19/2010 by Mary
You know those weird tux rental shoes that are like pointy and have almost no sole? Also the generalized idea of shoe rental is seems more appropriate for the bowling alley than a formal dance, no?
Anyway, there are options! These patent leather Chuck hi-tops aren't hard to find (here's a link... they're all over the Internet and probably the stores, too). I also saw a pair of black patent Vans slip-ons (covet, covet), but it was someone selling them used.
Actually... a girl could rock something like that with her dress, if that's her style and she's feeling saucy. And she wants to actually dance instead of teeter around getting blisters.
It's your prom; wear what you want, right?
- Posted on 05/18/2010 by Mary
I just saw that episode of One on One where Breanna and her friends vote for the first time, which was apropos 'cause I totally voted today (for the umpteenth time). There were primaries for a lot of states' governors, and senate seats, and all sorts of other foofaraw.
Those smaller elections can seem a lot more "who cares" than the big circus-like presidential ones, but I actually love the little elections -- because a lot of times, you're voting on things that affect stuff going on literally next door to you. (Like, do you want the pro-casino woman on the city council, or the guy who wants to make the city shelter a no-kill shelter, or the person who wants a public skate park?)
Or, if your state leans heavily toward one party or the other (democrat or republican), sometimes the primary is where the eventual winner pretty much get chosen. (The primary is when we choose who ends up on the ballot for the ELECTION election.)
Or, for instance, here are some of the effects of little elections in the news today:
It was little elections that populated the current school board of Texas, which is now making some big moves to change the way their history textbooks are written. And then a small-election person in California is proposing not to allow the Texas version of history in their schools . And it's all very crazy and fascinating and it all really comes down to boring rainy days like this one, where people you've never heard of end up in obscure political positions with surprising amounts of power.
Anyway. Yay voting! Anyone out there get to vote today?
- Posted on 05/14/2010 by Mary
EEEEEEEEE!! Lots to talk about from tonight's episode... though of course, if you haven't watched yet, this whole thing will be SPOILERSSSSSSS so go away! As for the rest of us...
1) Oh my GOD! When Riley was like, giggling because Anya said "you have a crush on Zane"... I swear It MELTED MY HEART! And then when he and Zane made plans for coffee... was I the only one jumping up and down in my chair going "Riley has a date! Riley has a date!"?
2) I was so scared he wasn't going to kiss him! And then when he did and he smiled... I don't think we've ever even SEEN Riley's smile before that. I didn't even realize how much I loved him as a character until I felt so overjoyed for him.
3) Curious... what would happen if (or did happen when) one of the biggest jocks at your school came out?
4) Clare! Dude! Clare is strong like the Hulk! I almost can't believe she didn't fall for K.C.'s "everything was better when we were together" line. Could you be that strong?
5) Jenna Middleton: not winning any fans tonight, I'm guessing. I used to try to give her the benefit of the doubt and think she was at least Real and fun, though flawed... but tonight she came off straight up shady, right? I know Jenn a has some fans out there... are any of you having second thoughts about her at this point?
- Posted on 05/13/2010 by Mary
We asked Sam some of our questions, and some of your questions. As usual, he was very tight-lipped and monosyllabic.
When you doodle, what do you draw?
Strictly hearts and rainbows. p>
What do you think makes a good Degrassi episode?
Dealing with relevant teen issues is a big staple of the show and the impact they can have on a lot of our audience is always remarkable and rewarding. But personally, if a story line is natural and understated, regardless of the subject matter, it will draw me in and have me involved in the worlds of the characters. Because the show revolves so much around relationships (whether they be romantic, friendly, or otherwise), the fate of an episode really entirely depends on how well these relationships are handled, by the writers as well as by the actors, who can truly make or break them. Like I said, when a relationship is well taken care of, only then can I really relate to the characters, which is not always easy being someone who is so tight with the actors who play them.
When it comes to these ambitious and topical episodes, I prefer the magnetic over the charismatic, something that draws the viewer in on their own terms, provoking reactions and opinions, transforming them into an active and thoughtful member of the discussion that the episode begins.
Halloween asks: "Do you go to a real school? If so is it like Degrassi?"
Yes I do! Don't know why people assume I'm some kind of underage drifter - I get plenty of breaks from filming. As for my (public, normal(ish), not full of actors) school, there's a small student body, and we don't have a ravine for our dirty business, so it might be a bit tame in comparison.
senmusic asks: " Who is your best friend on set?"
Panther, the really fat cat. The cast is alright (so much love it hurts).
Speaking of set cats, the other one, Noggin, is in the hospital. She's suffering from an identity crisis, too many name changes.
Oh and I think there was something about "eruption of the anal gland", might be a contributing factor, I dunno. But wish him well everyone!
And also from senmusic: "Did you originally audition for the character that you play?"
Yup. Good old KC, smooth-talker with a nasty past. I even remember some of the scene (never actually included), to Clare, who at first is all "no kissing 'til college", but then looks like she "wants to stick her tongue down my throat" when we both go to pick up a dropped pencil and share a tense moment locking eyes. It was a fun scene, something a little sketchy about running it over and over with my Mom though...
icegirl111 asks: "How do you feel about KC and Clare breaking up?"
At the time I think I might've been too young and foolish to grasp the long term consequences of what was going down, the only thing running through my head was "Oh cool! A nice meaty Clare scene!" I remember reading it for the first time in a read through. I always get almost embarrassingly invested in the scripts while I read them, and so I glanced up at the end and I remember seeing Ace throw me this look that was all "Dayumm son!", and [me] kinda just smiling back blankly, shrugging it off a little, assuming that however things went, KC and Clare wouldn't just vanish from each other's lives so abruptly. The truth is, I came on to this show as a part of Clare's storyline, and as an actor, I assumed nothing beyond my role as a love interest of hers. So even as KC has gone off and done his own thing, and continues to do so, that element of attachment to Clare as a character has always stuck with me. KC can do whatever stupid crap he wants, but if he doesn't seriously acknowledge the debt he owes to Miss Edwards somewhere down the line, I'mma break his nose (never been punched in the face, never punched someone in the face, so two birds with one stone!).
- Posted on 05/13/2010 by Lisa
I'm going car shopping this weekend (Eeee!), so I've got cars on the brain. I just noticed that at 7:00 pm tonight, we're showing the Drake & Josh episode where the guys shop for a car, and their dad makes them take Megan along.
They go to a used car lot and completely disagree about what kind of car to get. Megan falls in love with the bright yellow VW Beetle in this photo. Megan, I'm right there with you -- but I'd prefer it without the flowers. I love cute, bright-colored cars that are easy to spot in a parking lot.
Drake wants a black '67 Mustang, but Josh wants a practical sedan. (Oh, Josh. Live a little!)
If you could have any car in the world, what kind would you choose?
- Posted on 05/13/2010 by Mary
Someone asked you last minute? Or you just found out some other girl is wearing your dress? You know, you can replace your entire prom look for under $150, like right now. 'Cause, real talk: the key to having an awesome prom is not how much you spend. (The real key is a complicated formula involving friends, dates, after-prom plans, and who's in charge of hiring the DJ.) Not to mention, prom tickets are expensive enough these days.
With that in mind, we found -- and it wasn't even that hard! -- four different head to toe prom looks for less than $150. Except one that went $5 over, but... don't call the cops on us, OK?
The Party Girl, $144.64 (Total)
Coral polka dot dress, $59.90 at windsorstore.com; White bow pumps, $24.99 at payless.com; Silver bow wristlet, $32.45 at shoebuy.com; Rhinestone cuff, $27.30 at cache.com.
The Little Black Dress, $134.88 (Total)
Black diagonal strap dress, $52.99 at gojane.com; Red-soled black satin peep-toe pumps, $39. 99 at flyjane.com; Rhinestone ponytail holder $11.95 at discountdance.com; Black lace clamshell clutch, $29.95 at dsw.com.
Too Cool for Prom, $132.48 (Total)
Floral dress, $51.99 at modcloth.com; Purple gladiator heels, $39.99 at flyjane.net; Purple crystal dangle earrings, $18 at etsy.com; Silver fold-over clutch, $22.50 at ebags.com.
Hot but Girly, $155.29 (Total)
Yellow satin ruffle pump, $22.99 at charlotterusse.com; Black and white dress, $99 at promgirl.com; Big ol' dangly crystal earrings, $13.50 at sammoon.com; Black slinky mesh bag, $19.80 at ebags.com