Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 04/06/2011 by Mary
The guy you know as Drew from Degrassi tells us what not to do with our chopsticks on a first date, and how Drew-like he is in real life:
Tell me, friends. If this face were sitting across from you on a first date and he let some chopsticks go airborne... what would be your reaction?
Luke Bilyk, aka Drew from Degrassi
- Posted on 04/05/2011 by Mary
"If I don't hang out with him soon, he's gonna go emo on me." - ???
Hmm. Is that a profound lack of enthusiasm I'm sensing in this quote? Or am I reading too much into it? Oh, and, who do you think is in danger of heading into emo territory? Let's pretend we're psychic in the comments!
- Posted on 04/04/2011 by Mary
Fiona and Adam on Degrassi: In Too Deep
With Fiona back from rehab and back at Degrassi, is it time for her and Adam to finally make things work?
Or... are we looking at a Folly J future?
- Posted on 04/03/2011 by Lisa
Yesterday, I worked on the orange carpet writing updates for Nick.com during the Kids' Choice Awards, and I got to talk to Munro Chambers (Eli) and Aislinn Paul (Clare) from Degrassi.
Here's picture of us together:
I met up with them just before Train played the orange carpet pre-show, so it got really loud, and we only had a few minutes to talk. My first impression was that they both looked exactly like they do on Degrassi, only somehow even cuter, probably because they're both so friendly. Aislinn was excited to see Train live. Munro and I both thought Jimmy from Train was Howie Mandel when we first saw him on the orange carpet. They look so much alike!
I asked how they handle all the attention from their fans, and they said it was overwhelming at first, but they're starting to get used to it. Munro joked that he uses earplugs to drown out the fans' screams. :)
The funniest part of talking to Munro and Aislinn on the orange carpet was that Matt Shively (Ryan from True Jackson) saw them and ran over to introduce himself and say how much he loves them. He was just as excited to meet them as I was. From here on out, whenever I watch True Jackson, I'm going to be thinking "That guy's a Degrassi fan in real life!"
That reminds me, Munro and Aislinn gave me a message for all the Degrassi fans: They're both DYING for you to see the season finale on April 22nd. So whatever you do, DON'T MISS the next few episodes of Degrassi!
Here's an official picture of them as they walked the orange carpet!
p.s. If you missed the picture I tweeted during the show yesterday, that's right here.
- Posted on 04/03/2011 by Mary
How Degrassi-like is YOUR school?
We see this topic debated on the message boards a lot... for instance here's a post about teen pregnancies at Degrassi; some people say they can't believe there are so many, others are like, "Um there's a day care at my school -- for the students."
Or here's one that's wondering "Why are there so many LGBT students at Degrassi?" I'm sure at some schools, it's really rare for there to multiple out students... and at other schools, the LGBT population might be huge, out and proud.
Here's an interesting tidbit... according to Degrassi's head writer, they think of Degrassi as being about 800 students. So based on what we've seen in the storylines there, would that make Degrassi more "controversial" than your high school, less, or about the same?
Answer these in the comments, if you like (and don't forget to protect your privacy by not telling us the name of your school please -- it's in the site rules!), and let's see how out-there a real-life Degrassi would be:
- How many students are at your school?
- Have you known about any pregnancies at your school, and if so how many?
- Are there any LGBT students at your school who are out, and if so how many?
- Have any students at your school died in the past four years that you know of?
- Posted on 04/03/2011 by Mary
I did NOT see that coming with Tinsley... though looking back, of course she would have the same experience with Bobby that Fiona did. Why would Bobby have changed, when he had basically gotten away with his behavior before?
This kind of solidarity makes me SO happy. Even though they were supposedly "enemies", Tinsley and Fiona are hopefully saving who knows how many other girls from being abused by Bobby. Now that it's out in the open, he can get the help he needs.
Do you have any "enemies"? And if so... what do you actually have in common with them?
- Posted on 04/02/2011 by Mary
So... I can't quite get a handle on Maggie. On the one hand, she's done some pretty conniving things (this one kind of taking the cake). But on the other hand, she's bizarrely super honest about it when pressed. I guess it's that she truly believes that she HAS to do these things in order to succeed.
Telling Walt that she slept with him for the right reasons and the wrong ones was particularly forthcoming. It kind of makes you wonder -- is there anyone on earth who would sleep with Walt without having sooome little hint of the wrong reasons? Basically... probably only another child of an A-list star, or someone famous in their own right. But it can't be that those are the only people on the planet he could find love with... don't you think? Maybe sometimes, the wrong reasons are there in the beginning, but then they disappear? I don't know. In any case, I am reminded that I do not envy the scions of Hollywood royalty having to navigate that emotional landscape.
- Posted on 04/02/2011 by Lisa
The Kids' Choice Awards are HERE! The excitement starts with a live pre-show, including musical performances, at 7pm on Nick.com. All sorts of celebrities -- including Munro Chambers (Eli) and Aislinn Paul (Clare) from Degrassi -- will be walking the orange carpet.
The KCAs officially start at 8pm, and they're going to be CRRRZIZZY. (That's a word I use when I need to describe something that's too crazy to just be called "crazy.") I peeked in at a bit of rehearsal today, so I know what I'm talking about. Expect impressive choreography AND impressive amounts of slime.
Contest reminder: The fine folks at Philo want you to check in on their site as you watch the KCAs, and they're giving out prizes to people who do. Sign up for Philo and check in to the KCAs. The first 300 check ins at 8pm will win a free limited edition KCA water bottle, and you'll also have a chance to win a $1,000 iTunes Gift Card!
Know what this is? It's the view from the orange carpet, looking up! The Galen Center, where the KCAs take place, is covered in giant inflatable slime.
- Posted on 04/01/2011 by Mary
Earlier this week, obsessive8 wrote to say: "Do you happen to have the song list with the music people's commentary for [last Friday's] Degrassi's Hide and Seek Part 2 episode? I just really love the new addition of reading why they chose the songs that they did. And Degrassi always seems to have some of the best hidden gems in music that I cannot find anywhere else. Thanks!!!"
Yay, glad you're liking the info, obsessive8! We had some technical difficulties getting last week's blog ready in time but it's up now, click here for it. And it's true about the "hidden gems" on Degrassi -- I've noticed that a lot of the music on the show comes from unsigned artists, so you're really getting in on the ground floor with them. Anyway, here's info on all of this week's Gigantic and Degrassi songs (including Degrassi music supervisor commentary -- quotes in italics).
"I Can't Have You" by Bent by Elephants
From when Fiona kissed Holly J after winning her trial.
Check the Degrassi page for a sample.
"The raw emotion of this song is what captivated us in the first place. Chesley Walsh's soulful jazzy voice, combined with a smooth brass and string ensemble pours over with heartache, a bit of foreshadowing for Fiona, perhaps? Another great Montreal band that we're keeping our eyes on. "
- "Something About You" by Juliana Joya - you can hear a sample over on the Gigantic page
- Posted on 04/01/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW THIS PICTURE! DON'T GET SPOILED! You can watch the full Catching Pavements, Pt. 1 episode here, and then let's process.
Fiona at Bobby's trial on Degrassi
1) If you were Fiona... would you have taken the $100,000 or insisted on going to trial?
2) Oh and how about when Fiona dropped a big fat kiss right on Holly J! Well, hello there, Fiona Coyne! What was your reaction?
3) So, about Owen: I know some of you think he's hot, but this whole episode he just made me go ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. I GUESS, if I'm being charitable... I mean like REALLY charitable... I can see how, in Owen's head, maybe he thought he was just "flirting" with Anya. Though, I think his idea of flirting is really messed up. (Touching someone's arms like that when you're not dating? Just... no. And making comments about wanting to be the CPR dummy? It's highly aggravating to me that a girl who's trying to get an education has to have every little thing she does sexualized.) ANYWAY. I found this handy dandy explanation of the differences between flirting and harassment. In it, we see that in cases of sexual harassment, "The contact was not invited or accepted." Of course, I also imagine that there are plenty of Owens out there who are not the most skilled at recognizing when someone is or isn't "inviting" them to flirt. So here's a really good tip from that website: "If somebody flirts and it is unwanted, ask him or her to stop. If they don't stop, it is considered harassment." Your school might have its own policy that goes into more detail, too. It's probably in your handbook.
4) Who here has dealt with "unwanted flirting" at school? What happened, and how uncomfortable did it make you feel? Did you tell them to stop or -- like Anya -- did you feel too embarrassed to say anything?
5) It looks like Anya did learn how to be honest about how she felt though... that was kind of impressive when she calmly (rather than deliberately cruelly) told Owen, "I don't like you like that, and I probably never will." Clearly it was an uncomfortable conversation, but now they both know exactly what's up. Have you ever had an honest conversation with someone about a one-way crush?
6) Alli and the Standardized Math Test -- eek, pressure's on Alli again, I guess! How much does your school freak out about the state assessment tests?