Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 04/01/2011 by Mary
Earlier this week, obsessive8 wrote to say: "Do you happen to have the song list with the music people's commentary for [last Friday's] Degrassi's Hide and Seek Part 2 episode? I just really love the new addition of reading why they chose the songs that they did. And Degrassi always seems to have some of the best hidden gems in music that I cannot find anywhere else. Thanks!!!"
Yay, glad you're liking the info, obsessive8! We had some technical difficulties getting last week's blog ready in time but it's up now, click here for it. And it's true about the "hidden gems" on Degrassi -- I've noticed that a lot of the music on the show comes from unsigned artists, so you're really getting in on the ground floor with them. Anyway, here's info on all of this week's Gigantic and Degrassi songs (including Degrassi music supervisor commentary -- quotes in italics).
"I Can't Have You" by Bent by Elephants
From when Fiona kissed Holly J after winning her trial.
Check the Degrassi page for a sample.
"The raw emotion of this song is what captivated us in the first place. Chesley Walsh's soulful jazzy voice, combined with a smooth brass and string ensemble pours over with heartache, a bit of foreshadowing for Fiona, perhaps? Another great Montreal band that we're keeping our eyes on. "
- "Something About You" by Juliana Joya - you can hear a sample over on the Gigantic page
- Posted on 04/01/2011 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW THIS PICTURE! DON'T GET SPOILED! You can watch the full Catching Pavements, Pt. 1 episode here, and then let's process.
Fiona at Bobby's trial on Degrassi
1) If you were Fiona... would you have taken the $100,000 or insisted on going to trial?
2) Oh and how about when Fiona dropped a big fat kiss right on Holly J! Well, hello there, Fiona Coyne! What was your reaction?
3) So, about Owen: I know some of you think he's hot, but this whole episode he just made me go ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. I GUESS, if I'm being charitable... I mean like REALLY charitable... I can see how, in Owen's head, maybe he thought he was just "flirting" with Anya. Though, I think his idea of flirting is really messed up. (Touching someone's arms like that when you're not dating? Just... no. And making comments about wanting to be the CPR dummy? It's highly aggravating to me that a girl who's trying to get an education has to have every little thing she does sexualized.) ANYWAY. I found this handy dandy explanation of the differences between flirting and harassment. In it, we see that in cases of sexual harassment, "The contact was not invited or accepted." Of course, I also imagine that there are plenty of Owens out there who are not the most skilled at recognizing when someone is or isn't "inviting" them to flirt. So here's a really good tip from that website: "If somebody flirts and it is unwanted, ask him or her to stop. If they don't stop, it is considered harassment." Your school might have its own policy that goes into more detail, too. It's probably in your handbook.
4) Who here has dealt with "unwanted flirting" at school? What happened, and how uncomfortable did it make you feel? Did you tell them to stop or -- like Anya -- did you feel too embarrassed to say anything?
5) It looks like Anya did learn how to be honest about how she felt though... that was kind of impressive when she calmly (rather than deliberately cruelly) told Owen, "I don't like you like that, and I probably never will." Clearly it was an uncomfortable conversation, but now they both know exactly what's up. Have you ever had an honest conversation with someone about a one-way crush?
6) Alli and the Standardized Math Test -- eek, pressure's on Alli again, I guess! How much does your school freak out about the state assessment tests?
- Posted on 03/31/2011 by Mary
Adam and his family and friends say goodbye to his former identity, Gracie, in the Peabody Award-winning episode of Degrassi, "My Body Is a Cage"
Degrassi won a PEABODY AWARD!
It's no KCA, but it IS a 70 year-old prestigious media award that's pretty hard to come by, and a HUGE honor. Stacking that on top of those GLAAD media awards, we are so, so proud of Degrassi right now.
The winning episodes were "My Body Is a Cage" (part 1 and 2) -- aka the first episodes where we learned about Adam being transgender. The Peabody people say, "True to its history, the durable high-school serial’s two-parter about a transgender teen neither trivializes nor overdramatizes its subject." WORD THAT. Degrassi: neither trivializing nor overdramatizing subjects since 2001, y'all. (Or 1979, depending on how you're counting.)
I took another look at them today and man... Degrassi was really, truly firing on all cylinders during those two eps. I mean obviously Jordan Todosey did an amazing job, but so did Luke Bilyk... and the B story was Anya's mom having lymphoma, which was another one of my favorite Degrassi stories because I love the rapport she and her mom have! Good God did I cry at these episodes.
- Posted on 03/31/2011 by Mary
Sneak a peek! Fiona is officially an inpatient rehab graduate, feeling confident and ready to face the world -- even her Bobby trial. But her mom says those four dreaded words...
"We need to talk." Ruh roh.
Do you guys think Fiona has it in her to stay strong throughout this trial?
- Posted on 03/30/2011 by Mary
After a day on set at Degrassi going through Riley's intense and emotionally draining storylines... does Argy take his work home with him? Find out in part two of his photo shoot interview:
I love when he talks about how part of his training in acting is just to stand back and observe. Do you ever just do some people watching at your own school? Care to share any observations you've made?
Argiris Karras as Riley Stavros on Degrassi
- Posted on 03/29/2011 by Mary
"I don't like you like that, and I probably never will." - ???
Ouch! Who do you think is shutting down whom this Friday on Degrassi?
- Posted on 03/28/2011 by Lisa
Need another reason to watch the Kids' Choice Awards? Two Degrassi cast members will be there -- Munro Chambers (Eli) and Aislinn Paul (Clare)!
Your best bet for spotting them is to watch the orange carpet pre-show on Nick.com, starting at 7pm on Saturday. Nick.com will have all sorts of access you won't see on-air (they can't fit everything on TV), so keep an eye on your computer monitor during the show.
Here's a rundown of everything that'll be happening on Nick.com on Saturday.
Btw, if you see a tall girl on the orange carpet with bright pink hair, that's me! If everything goes as planned, I'll be at the KCAs writing live updates for Nick.com during the show. I know I'll see all sorts of celebs that day, but since I'm a Degrassi fan, I'm most excited about Munro and Aislinn! I hope we get a photo together. :)
Aislinn and Munro will pose for a pic with me, right?
- Posted on 03/28/2011 by Mary
So Fiona's coming back from rehab this week... but her problems haven't disappeared.
Fiona in Degrassi: In Too Deep "Chasing Pavements, Pt. 1"
Do you think Fiona will be strong enough to handle facing Bobby without turning to alcohol again?
Oh and someone else is going to be dusting off her old Degrassi uniform too... check the whole flipbook to see who!
- Posted on 03/27/2011 by Mary
Aww, Coach Armstrong has been on/at Degrassi for ten years! Ten years of puttin' up with kids spreading rumors about him being inappropriate with Liberty; gettin' his car keyed; dealin' with star basketball players on mushrooms... and of course, teaching math.
Here's to Coach Armstrong. May he someday retire happily to Hawaii on a fat pension.
Coach Armstrong, dispensing no-nonsense advice with the appropriate level of detachment on Degrassi
Who's your favorite Degrassi faculty member of all time? Drop it in the comments!
- Posted on 03/26/2011 by Mary
I know it's not funny... because Holly J is really really sick.
But... I mean...
What's the MOST embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you? That you're willing to post in the comments? I'll go:
I peed the bed at camp one summer. But even better... I was in my FRIEND's bunk bed at the time, because we had switched bunks for the night. So, I peed on HER sheets. Which was that much more awesome.