Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 10/25/2010 by Mary
Clare's family breakdown just gets more and more real...
Does Adam have a prayer with Fiona?
And what's going on with Dave?
- Posted on 10/25/2010 by Lisa
- Posted on 10/23/2010 by Mary
Ah, so THAT's why Joey was lurking around "visiting Walt" in that first scene on this Friday's Gigantic. He was just, you know, doing the sweetest thing ever for Anna.
Plus, I love how this scene conveys those rare, sweet, warm fuzzies you sometimes get on the phone with someone you care about. So nice nice. Gigantic is really good at phone calls.
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Mary
In my opinion, this might be one of the best conversations ever on Degrassi, in terms of the questions it raises. Let's break it down piece by piece. What could Declan and Holly J each have done differently to prevent the emotional fallout they both suffered?
Holly J: I didn't want to. I told you that.
Declan: I thought that was because of Sav.
Holly J: Does it matter why?? You didn't listen. You insisted.
When things started, Holly J said no. Declan could have prevented all of this from happening if he had listened to her and believed her, instead of trying to evaluate her reasons for saying no and trying to change her mind. Why be with someone who doesn't completely, unequivocally want to be with you in that moment?
Declan could and should have backed off in that moment. He had a choice to back off, and it would have been an infinitely better choice. Personally, I have to say I'm really angry at him for not backing off.
But he didn't, and then we come to the next point:
Declan: Yeah, but then you kissed me. I thought you changed your mind. Holly J: Maybe I did. I was confused. I'm not saying it was all your fault.
After Declan made his choice, Holly J had a choice about her next move, too. Instead of repeating herself unequivocally or attempting to physically remove herself from the situation, she decided to go forward even though she was unsure. And confusion is a terrible state to be in when you do the most intimate and vulnerable thing you can do with your body. Because the conflicted feeling doesn't go away. And that's a horrible way to feel after the fact, when you can't un-do things.
Holly J should have listened to her confusion, and stuck with her conviction of "no," rather than giving conflicting information to Declan. She could have prevented this from happening, too (assuming Declan wouldn't have forced her -- which I don't think he would have, do you?)
Both of them messed up. And both of them are left feeling horrible.
Anyway I've seen a lot of conversation about this episode talking about the question of rape, and a lot of conflicting ideas about what is and what isn't. Here's some information I've found incredibly helpful: RAINN's (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network) information page describing what rape and sexual assault are, in easy to understand language.
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Mary
SPOILERS BELOW. Watch the episode first, here. Then, let's talk.
1) Declan and Holly J... I'm gonna talk about this more in a separate blog. But what are your thoughts on the episode?
2) Holly J regrets what happened. And I'm sure now that he knows Holly J regrets it, Declan regrets it, too. So, a regrettable situation for all involved. What do you think each of them could and should have done to prevent this from happening?
3) Clare and Eli... as much as it was difficult to watch Clare being so smug at that dinner with her parents, especially since she was hurting Eli, I still felt compassion for her because of what she's going through. How did you feel about Clare during that scene?
4) What did you think of Bizarro-Clare's temporary look? What if she just started dressing like that all the time from now on?
- Posted on 10/22/2010 by Lisa
Hear any songs you liked on Degrassi and/or Gigantic tonight? Here's your chance to find out who sings them:
- "Dizzy from the Ride" by Alex Roots
- "C'mon Ya'll" by Salme Dalhstrom
- "Diamonds" by Stef Lang
- "Because I'm Awesome" by The Dollyrots
- "City Stars" by Line Spectra
- "Travellin'" by Analog Smith
- Posted on 10/21/2010 by Mary
I caught up with Grace Gummer and Gia Mantegna (aka Anna and Vanessa from Gigantic) in New York recently to talk about the show, and their lives, and stuff and junk.
Did you guys spend much time in New York growing up?
Grace: I grew up in Connecticut in a small town and then I moved to NY in high school. Right around Sept 11. Yeah. I lived in LA when I was really little and I went to preschool there. So I was really mad at my parents when we left because it's like the perfect place for a kid. You know, you like rollerblade on Venice Beach and you're outside all the time. But yeah, I grew up on the east coast.
Gia: I was born out here and lived out here but I was so little I barely remember it. And we kind of went all over the place, NY, Chicago, LA... so I consider myself an LA girl cause I sound like I'm from LA.
Grace: I do too, weirdly.
Gia: But I went to high school for a solid four years in LA.
Having famous parents like the characters on Gigantic, did you have any experiences trying to guard your privacy as children or teenagers?
Grace: No. I mean in some instances I would question who were my real friends. But I think that's what every teenager goes through in a way. Same kind of thing if you had blue hair. And you're like does that person like me because I have blue hair? But I like my blue hair. You know what I mean?
Gia: Yeah -- I've never questioned whether somebody was friends with me because first of all, nobody my age would even care about who my dad is.
Grace: But also, for me it wasn't part of my life so I never thought about it.
Gia: It wasn't something that was hanging over my head ever... it was just being a teenager.
What elements of the characters and stories do you feel are true to life for the children of celebrities? And what do you feel are not quite as accurate?
Gia: My character Vanessa on the show never went to school, she was always homeschooled, she was emancipated when she was like 14 or 15. So she never really knew how to communicate with people her own age. So that's what makes her kind of twisted, and that's kind of where her issues are at, that's what makes it so difficult to relate to the other kids on the show. I feel like that's maybe true for some child actors today. But what's true in the bigger aspect of things is the drama that they deal with, relationships and sexuality and...
Grace: ...friendships and drama ...
Gia: That is all completely real. Everybody's had a first love. Everybody knows what it's like to have a break-up.
Grace: Or obsess...
Gia: Everybody knows what it's like to be bullied online.
Grace: Or dream about your perfect date.
Gia: So all of that is true to real life. With a little paparazzi thrown in there.
Grace: And glam, and red carpets.
Which is kind of the point of the show, right? No matter what, adolescence is...
Grace: Really hard!
If you had a friend who was going through what Anna's going through with Joey being sort of inscrutable, what advice would you give to her?
Grace: I think something that I wish I would have known at that age is that you have so much of your life ahead of you and there are SO many other boys. And as long as you stay true to who you are and pick someone who makes you feel good about yourself, I think that's really important.
Gia: Yeah, make yourself feel happy.
Grace: And make sure you have your own accomplishments and goals and you're independent of each other. I think that's something really important that I didn't realize. I used to think that that one guy was the biggest deal and it would never happen. You know?
- Posted on 10/21/2010 by Lisa
What's going on with Holly J and Declan? Watch the first scene of "Love Lockdown, pt. 2" right now and don't miss tomorrow night's episode. (Seriously, do NOT miss this one.)
- Posted on 10/20/2010 by Mary
* Celebu-daughter Willow Smith (Will and Jada Pinkett Smith's daughter) -- whose age won't even hit double digits until next week -- went on 106 and Park this week to debut her first music video -- watch the interview here. Observations:
1) Oh my god. That song is genuinely awesome. "I whip my HAIR back and forth..." She reminds me of Li'l Mama! Or maybe like Extra-Tiny Mama. And her performance in the video is like... that girl is NINE? And not in a "she's acting too mature for her age" way; in a "that girl has STYLE" way.
2) I will always love Willow Smith's hair. Always. Her whole look actually. She's like an even younger Tavi Gevinson.
3) I wanted to hug her when she cried 'cause they gave her a plaque (around 10:30 in that 106 and Park video)!
4) Do you guys think she's too young? To handle what comes along with fame? I mean in so many ways she looks like she's just having a ball but... remember how people felt comfortable saying mean things about Miley Cyrus in print even when she was only like 15, 16? Pleeease don't anyone start saying horrible things about Willow Smith! It seems like her parents keep things sane around that house -- she talked in the video about how she's not allowed on twitter yet -- so hopefully they'll help her keep perspective if she ever goes through fame backlash.
* T.I. helped talk a suicidal man down from jumping from an Atlanta skyscraper last week -- and had a sincere heart-to-heart with him afterwards. The story's here. While the conversation they had won't solve all of that guy's problems, the most important thing is that T.I. interrupted the attempt and the man was taken to a hospital where he'll get the help he needs. Says T.I., "It wasn't heroism. It was just me listening to my spirit. I have a very hard time taking any credit for it. It was God's work. I just showed up."
* And did Russell Brand and Katy Perry already get quietly married? Maybe? He's reportedly wearing a wedding band already. But, maybe he's just having fun with the paps? Who knows.
- Posted on 10/19/2010 by Mary
Sneak peek pics of what's to come on this Friday's Degrassi! Check 'em out...
So... what exactly happened last Friday between Declan and Holly J... and what will it mean for each of them?
And looks like Eli's not sure if Clare is still the same girl he fell for...