Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 11/07/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
TeenNick Top 10 fans, you're just going to have to bear this double negative because there is quite literally nothing not to love about our Fresh Artist, Betty Who. Instantly recognizable with her platinum blonde coiff and easy-breezy pop songs ("Somebody Loves You" has been on repeat since Tuesday...), Betty Who is bliss in a bottle.
We caught up with the Australian songstress to chat about her debut album, her classical past and her budding career so far. Check out our exclusive interview below!
1. After releasing several EPs, how does it feel to have your debut full length album out?
It's honestly such a relief, it's been such a long time in the making, I'm just so ecstatic to finally have it be done!
2. You have a background as a classical cellist. That's so awesome! Has that training influenced your music in anyway?
Yes I think it definitely influenced me. I think I started writing music so early because of my classical training and background. It also influences my ideas of melody I think. Some of my favourite melodies I've ever heard come from my favourite symphonies.
3. What are you looking forward to most about going on tour with Katy Perry?
I honestly am just excited about watching her show and hanging out in Australia, it's been such a long time since I've been home so that's definitely a plus.
4. Where do you draw inspiration for your songwriting? Does inspiration come to you spontaneously?
It definitely comes from experiences. Sometimes maybe I'll have a conversation with somebody and I'll walk away thinking about what they said and I'll say to myself "I have to go write that down right now."
5. What is one accomplishment or milestone so far in your career that makes you particularly proud?
Being on The View was pretty cool... I think playing a sold out show at Irving plaza this month, though, is definitely something that is up there and will be forever.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked Betty Who a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of Betty Who, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in tonight at 10pm ET!
- Posted on 11/05/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
We know you've been waiting. We know you've been missing your favorite countdown of today's hottest music videos. And we know you're ready for a new season TeenNick Top 10!
Consider your wish granted, music fans, because TeenNick Top 10 is BACK! And we're not talking just new episodes with a countdown of fresh music videos carefully put together by our host-with-the-most, Nick Cannon. We've got two brand-new voting categories that are sure to put your fan skillz to the test.
Here's how it works: It's up to you to VOTE and tell us which video is going to be named one of two major titles.
First up, we've got The Heater: These acts are burning up the charts and may just be the next big thing. Can they count on you to jump-start their stardom?
And then there's Fan Favorite: Two videos enter, but only one can be your fave. It's time to gather your fan armies and battle it out!
And what would a Top 10 episode be without some celebrity guests? Join the Degrassi cast and our latest Fresh Artist, Betty Who for some fun in the TeenNick Top 10 studio!
Friday, 10pm ET. You don't want to miss it.
- Posted on 10/14/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
TeenNick Top 10 fans, it's time to get pumped. This Friday on TeenNick Top 10, we're kicking it up a notch with a fresh countdown of high-energy, mood-boosting songs that are sure to give an extra edge over the competition.
Plus, pop superstar on-the-rise Charli XCX and Top 10 favorites American Authors will swing by the TeenNick Top 10 studio!
But that's not all! We're gonna meet some awesome student athletes who tell us all about what gets them amped up to play. You won't want to miss it! Friday, 10pm ET. Be there.
- Posted on 10/13/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Credit: Getty Images
Let's face it: there's no more "easing into" the school year. The syllabi have been read, the tests have been scheduled and the studying is about to commence. We know all too well the the alluring (but oh-so dangerous) rabbit hole of internet and its ability to yank our productivity. But with these few study break ideas, you'll get the energy and reprieve you need without wasting time watching kitten videos! Check 'em out.
1. Go for a walk. Even if it's just a lap around the library, get the blood flowing. We promise, not only will you feel energized, but that great thesis statement may just pop in your head mid-step!
2. Paint your nails. So what if you're not a master manicurist? Painting your nails can be the perfect combination of a soothing and a self-pampering brain break. Step away from the small print textbook, and give your pretty paws a little love.
3. Have a snack. Trail mix and sliced apples with peanut butter are snackable gifts to the universe. Take advantage of the satisfying, stimulating, healthy snacks. Or if you're looking to reward yourself for a solid few hours of hard work, fill up your favorite mug with hot chocolate and tiny marshmallows for a perfect (almost) cold-weather treat.
4. Buy a coloring book. Don't you miss the days when your biggest concern was coloring in the lines? Take a break with this mindless, but still creative activity.
5. Have a dance party. Gather a few of your friends for a mental shakedown with your favorite energizing songs. If you need a little help finding some pump-up tunes, we've got a few TeenNick Top 10-approved suggestions for you.
What will you be doing to take a break while you study? Let us know your tips and tricks in the comments!
- Posted on 09/05/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Credit: Andrew Zaeh
If you aren't already smitten by singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes, brace yourself. The Vine-star-turned-superstar-on-the-rise has stolen the hearts of many (in under six seconds, no less!) and is about to break out in a major way. We caught up with our brand new Fresh Artist to get exclusive details about his life on tour with Austin Mahone and The Vamps, his biggest influences, and so much more!
1. Congratulations on all of your recent success! What is a day in the life of Shawn Mendes like right now?
Wake up on a tour bus in a new city every day, find the nearest shower, head to radio station to say "Hello," grab some food, then meet some fans, then hit the stage. :-)
2. What was the inspiration behind your hit song "Life of the Party"?
The song is inspired by the feeling of not fitting in or not being comfortable with who you are. The lyrics basically say that you should be yourself and that you can be amazing regardless of whether you feel you fit in or not.
3. What's it like being on tour with TeenNick faves Austin Mahone and the Vamps? Has anything crazy or funny happened during your time together?
It's awesome and everyone is just so chill and relaxed and having a good time. We're always cracking jokes with each other behind stage. I'd say the craziest moment was getting chased by 400 fans at one of the first shows.
4. When you started recording covers on Vine and YouTube, did you ever think your music would spread as much as it has?
I really didn't think it would, I kind of just started doing it because I loved posting covers and then it just spiraled into this crazy thing as I kept posting. It's really beyond my expectations.
5. What do you think about the power of connecting with people in a six-second video?
It's so cool because in six seconds you have to really find something special in a song and impress people a lot to connect with them. I think that's been a big thing for me and my fans connecting.
6. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Definitely Ed Sheeran, Justin Timberlake, just how he holds himself and such, and Bruno Mars is such an unbelievable performer.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked Shawn a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of Shawn, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in tonight at 10pm ET!
- Posted on 09/04/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
TeenNick fans, it's time to get gussied up! This Friday on TeenNick Top 10, it's Date Night! We're all about celebrating the power of twos this week, so it only seemed right and good and noble to feature a fresh new countdown of songs performed in, you guessed it, dynamic duets!
We won't spoil all the details now, but get ready for a major musical match-ups that you maybe didn't see coming.
Plus, R&B crooner Jacob Latimore and "All About That Bass" singer Meghan Trainor will swing by the TeenNick Top 10 studio!
And our brand-new Fresh Artist, Shawn Mendes, will make a heart-stopping appearance to talk about his inspiring hit "Life of the Party" and upcoming EP! We know, we're giving you a lot of awesomeness to digest.
...But there's more! Tomorrow at 9pm ET, check out the best dating-themed episodes of iCarly before watching TeenNick Top 10 at 10 pm ET.
It's time to brush up on the do's and don'ts of dating, and we've got you covered.
- Posted on 08/22/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Credit: Jared Thomas Kocka
Colette Carr has a fuse, and it's about to go off. This sassy spitfire rapper is not afraid to use her voice to send a message, and that's exactly why she's our newest TeenNick Top 10 Fresh Artist. We caught up with the girl behind the hit song "HAM" to learn a little more about her background, her exciting career and how a certain Snow White costume used to be a staple of her wardrobe. (What?!) Check it out below!
1. As both a singer and a rapper, did you discover one talent before the other? Or have you always done both?
I discovered I could rap in high school when my ex-boyfriend decided he wanted to freestyle battle with kids after school. He was so ummmm...not great/terrible that I started ghost writing for him. I fell in love with free-styling and rap. I didn't know I could sing until I started working on my album "The Skitszo Collection". The first time I really sang was in the studio with FrankMusik recording songs like Killswitch, F16, Delusional, Hearsay & No ID.
2. What is one moment in your career so far that has made you wonder, "How did I get here?"
Anytime I'm on stage and the crowd gets their hands up without me even asking them to, or know the lyrics to my songs and sing/scream along it's like an out-of-body experience. I know exactly how I got here though, it's been a long, crazy, difficult journey. Definitely collaborating with guys like e40 and TechN9ne, legends I grew up listening to, bumping tracks in the studio with them, and having them feature on my songs because they love my sound, those moments are very surreal "how did I get here" moments.
3. You've cited Eminem as a musical influence. What do you admire most about him? Are there any other art forms that inspire you??
Eminem and Dr. Dre were the first hip hop artists I ever listened to, I was tiny and obsessed. I learned all the lyrics to the clean versions of their albums. The way Eminem tells his life stories and paints pictures with words that rhyme seamlessly, it's intimidatingly good, I can't get enough. I love all forms of art. On my days off I like to finger paint.
4. Many of your videos show off your fearless sense of personal style. How important is fashion when you're performing? Where do you get your style inspiration?
It's weird, I never think about "fashion" or clothes, or personal style. When I was in preschool I wore a Snow White costume with mix-matched Chuck Taylor's everyday, my mom was worried about me. I don't really think before I get dressed, I usually grab clothes in a hurry. I just throw on a Pikachu beanie, some sneakers and run out the door. When I write my video treatments I already know exactly what I want to look like to portray my lyrics or the overall mood of the song, so choosing the outfits is the easy part.
I hand made the cake dress for my "HAM" video, [and] I actually hand make and design a lot of the stuff I wear. Fashion is a form of expressing myself therefor it is important to me, although I wouldn't mind wearing a bath robe and pajamas everyday.
5. What are you looking forward to most in the next phase of your career? Is there any one thing you're determined to conquer?
I am MOST excited about continuing to tour and meet/hangout with fans/goers after my shows. I love being on stage and in the studio writing and creating. My favorite though, is making music videos! I can't wait to pick a single, record a music video for it and share it with the world. The next phase of my career will be epic. It will be better than chocolate Nutella on a warm piece of toast, mark my words. :)
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked Colette a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of Colette, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in tonight at 10pm ET!
TeenNick Top 10: Watch Your Favorite Videos + Special Guest Jack Antonoff From Bleachers This Friday!Posted on 08/15/2014 by Kayla6548
It's the moment you've all been waiting for! That's right folks, TeenNick Top 10 is hosting another crazy countdown this week with fabulous special guests Bleachers and Fresh Artist Colette Carr. Something tells us this is one episode you do NOT want to miss!
Looks like we need to boom-clap it up for Charli XCX, who finished in first place in the countdown with her hit single "Boom Clap." But, that's not all: Becky G also proved victorious, jumping from sixth place all the way up to second! If you want to see your favorite artists make the countdown, be sure to vote right here!
Fresh artist Colette Carr is doing BIG things right now! She just released her newest single, "HAM," featuring Ben J from hip hop duo New Boyz. And did you know in addition to her singing career, Colette hosts her own radio show?!
But let's not forget about American indie pop band Bleachers! We can't wait to see Jack Antonoff (from fun.!) rep his new project on Friday's episode! But until then, listen to Bleachers' new song "I Wanna Get Better," along with a ton of other totally awesome tunes on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist below!
So sit back, relax and VOTE before watching TeenNick Top 10 at 10 pm ET this Friday on TeenNick!
- Posted on 08/15/2014 by Kayla6548
TeenNick's hottest summer yet is about to close up shop, but that doesn't mean we're freezing things up here at TeenNick Top 10! Tonight, we're bringing you a fresh roster of hot videos, so get pumped to hear some of your favorites! Are you ready?
This week, we'll also be welcoming celebrity guests AJR and the return of fresh artist Katy Tiz! Did you know AJR stands for the three brothers Adam, Jack and Ryan? Their New York City-based indie pop band has been taking over with their debut single "I'm Ready!" The music video even features a snippet of our beloved SpongeBob SquarePants repeatedly singing his signature catchphrase, "I'm Ready." (Cool, huh?!)
In other news, last week on TNT10, MAGIC! finished at number one in the countdown for their first time! Can you believe it? Let's hope they can keep their winning streak going two weeks in a row! But, something tells us Charli XCX and her hit single "Boom Clap" might be catching up! It's up to you, fans! Vote right here if you want to see your favorite artists make the countdown!
So be sure to vote and tune in Friday at 10 pm ET on TeenNick to watch all the excitement! You won't regret it!
- Posted on 08/08/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
It's official. We love Katy Tiz. She's a super talented songstress from the UK (currently holding it down in the U.S. of A), and if you haven't heard of her yet, listen up. Katy's hit single "The Big Bang" is a funky, sassy tune that's every bit '20s swing band as it is straight-up pop. Her voice is a perfect mix of Adele and Fergie, but at the same time something new and unforgettable. We caught up with our newest Fresh Artist to learn a little more about her background and career. Check it out below!
1. Congratulations on signing with Atlantic Records! After releasing music independently for some time, how does it feel to make it with such a big name label?
It's AMAZING!! I still wake up everyday and have a little scream... It can get a little awkward when I'm alone and walking down the street... ;)
2. You're originally from the UK but have recently been spending a lot of time around the US. What has been your favorite city to visit so far?
Wow! That's a hard one, I fell in love with Chicago, Seattle, San fransisco and many more! I'm so lucky to travel and get to visit all the places. I do love anywhere with high buildings. I'm all about a view.
3. What made you want to pursue music? Has singing always been your passion?
Music has always been a huge part of my life. It's helped me through some rough patches. I was a late bloomer at 18, but my dream is to help others the way music has helped me. This is what has made me chase my passion.
4. If you had the chance to do a musical collab with any artist, who would it be and why?
Hmmmmmmmm... Well I was lucky enough to go and see Justin Timberlake in concert this weekend [interview conducted in July] and he was incredible so I would have to say him! #fangirlmoment
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked Katy a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of Katy, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in tonight at 10pm ET!