Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 10/14/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
TeenNick Top 10 fans, it's time to get pumped. This Friday on TeenNick Top 10, we're kicking it up a notch with a fresh countdown of high-energy, mood-boosting songs that are sure to give an extra edge over the competition.
Plus, pop superstar on-the-rise Charli XCX and Top 10 favorites American Authors will swing by the TeenNick Top 10 studio!
But that's not all! We're gonna meet some awesome student athletes who tell us all about what gets them amped up to play. You won't want to miss it! Friday, 10pm ET. Be there.
- Posted on 10/13/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Credit: Getty Images
Let's face it: there's no more "easing into" the school year. The syllabi have been read, the tests have been scheduled and the studying is about to commence. We know all too well the the alluring (but oh-so dangerous) rabbit hole of internet and its ability to yank our productivity. But with these few study break ideas, you'll get the energy and reprieve you need without wasting time watching kitten videos! Check 'em out.
1. Go for a walk. Even if it's just a lap around the library, get the blood flowing. We promise, not only will you feel energized, but that great thesis statement may just pop in your head mid-step!
2. Paint your nails. So what if you're not a master manicurist? Painting your nails can be the perfect combination of a soothing and a self-pampering brain break. Step away from the small print textbook, and give your pretty paws a little love.
3. Have a snack. Trail mix and sliced apples with peanut butter are snackable gifts to the universe. Take advantage of the satisfying, stimulating, healthy snacks. Or if you're looking to reward yourself for a solid few hours of hard work, fill up your favorite mug with hot chocolate and tiny marshmallows for a perfect (almost) cold-weather treat.
4. Buy a coloring book. Don't you miss the days when your biggest concern was coloring in the lines? Take a break with this mindless, but still creative activity.
5. Have a dance party. Gather a few of your friends for a mental shakedown with your favorite energizing songs. If you need a little help finding some pump-up tunes, we've got a few TeenNick Top 10-approved suggestions for you.
What will you be doing to take a break while you study? Let us know your tips and tricks in the comments!
- Posted on 09/05/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Credit: Andrew Zaeh
If you aren't already smitten by singer-songwriter Shawn Mendes, brace yourself. The Vine-star-turned-superstar-on-the-rise has stolen the hearts of many (in under six seconds, no less!) and is about to break out in a major way. We caught up with our brand new Fresh Artist to get exclusive details about his life on tour with Austin Mahone and The Vamps, his biggest influences, and so much more!
1. Congratulations on all of your recent success! What is a day in the life of Shawn Mendes like right now?
Wake up on a tour bus in a new city every day, find the nearest shower, head to radio station to say "Hello," grab some food, then meet some fans, then hit the stage. :-)
2. What was the inspiration behind your hit song "Life of the Party"?
The song is inspired by the feeling of not fitting in or not being comfortable with who you are. The lyrics basically say that you should be yourself and that you can be amazing regardless of whether you feel you fit in or not.
3. What's it like being on tour with TeenNick faves Austin Mahone and the Vamps? Has anything crazy or funny happened during your time together?
It's awesome and everyone is just so chill and relaxed and having a good time. We're always cracking jokes with each other behind stage. I'd say the craziest moment was getting chased by 400 fans at one of the first shows.
4. When you started recording covers on Vine and YouTube, did you ever think your music would spread as much as it has?
I really didn't think it would, I kind of just started doing it because I loved posting covers and then it just spiraled into this crazy thing as I kept posting. It's really beyond my expectations.
5. What do you think about the power of connecting with people in a six-second video?
It's so cool because in six seconds you have to really find something special in a song and impress people a lot to connect with them. I think that's been a big thing for me and my fans connecting.
6. Who are your biggest musical influences?
Definitely Ed Sheeran, Justin Timberlake, just how he holds himself and such, and Bruno Mars is such an unbelievable performer.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked Shawn a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of Shawn, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in tonight at 10pm ET!
- Posted on 08/22/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
Credit: Jared Thomas Kocka
Colette Carr has a fuse, and it's about to go off. This sassy spitfire rapper is not afraid to use her voice to send a message, and that's exactly why she's our newest TeenNick Top 10 Fresh Artist. We caught up with the girl behind the hit song "HAM" to learn a little more about her background, her exciting career and how a certain Snow White costume used to be a staple of her wardrobe. (What?!) Check it out below!
1. As both a singer and a rapper, did you discover one talent before the other? Or have you always done both?
I discovered I could rap in high school when my ex-boyfriend decided he wanted to freestyle battle with kids after school. He was so ummmm...not great/terrible that I started ghost writing for him. I fell in love with free-styling and rap. I didn't know I could sing until I started working on my album "The Skitszo Collection". The first time I really sang was in the studio with FrankMusik recording songs like Killswitch, F16, Delusional, Hearsay & No ID.
2. What is one moment in your career so far that has made you wonder, "How did I get here?"
Anytime I'm on stage and the crowd gets their hands up without me even asking them to, or know the lyrics to my songs and sing/scream along it's like an out-of-body experience. I know exactly how I got here though, it's been a long, crazy, difficult journey. Definitely collaborating with guys like e40 and TechN9ne, legends I grew up listening to, bumping tracks in the studio with them, and having them feature on my songs because they love my sound, those moments are very surreal "how did I get here" moments.
3. You've cited Eminem as a musical influence. What do you admire most about him? Are there any other art forms that inspire you??
Eminem and Dr. Dre were the first hip hop artists I ever listened to, I was tiny and obsessed. I learned all the lyrics to the clean versions of their albums. The way Eminem tells his life stories and paints pictures with words that rhyme seamlessly, it's intimidatingly good, I can't get enough. I love all forms of art. On my days off I like to finger paint.
4. Many of your videos show off your fearless sense of personal style. How important is fashion when you're performing? Where do you get your style inspiration?
It's weird, I never think about "fashion" or clothes, or personal style. When I was in preschool I wore a Snow White costume with mix-matched Chuck Taylor's everyday, my mom was worried about me. I don't really think before I get dressed, I usually grab clothes in a hurry. I just throw on a Pikachu beanie, some sneakers and run out the door. When I write my video treatments I already know exactly what I want to look like to portray my lyrics or the overall mood of the song, so choosing the outfits is the easy part.
I hand made the cake dress for my "HAM" video, [and] I actually hand make and design a lot of the stuff I wear. Fashion is a form of expressing myself therefor it is important to me, although I wouldn't mind wearing a bath robe and pajamas everyday.
5. What are you looking forward to most in the next phase of your career? Is there any one thing you're determined to conquer?
I am MOST excited about continuing to tour and meet/hangout with fans/goers after my shows. I love being on stage and in the studio writing and creating. My favorite though, is making music videos! I can't wait to pick a single, record a music video for it and share it with the world. The next phase of my career will be epic. It will be better than chocolate Nutella on a warm piece of toast, mark my words. :)
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked Colette a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of Colette, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in tonight at 10pm ET!
TeenNick Top 10: Watch Your Favorite Videos + Special Guest Jack Antonoff From Bleachers This Friday!Posted on 08/15/2014 by Kayla6548
It's the moment you've all been waiting for! That's right folks, TeenNick Top 10 is hosting another crazy countdown this week with fabulous special guests Bleachers and Fresh Artist Colette Carr. Something tells us this is one episode you do NOT want to miss!
Looks like we need to boom-clap it up for Charli XCX, who finished in first place in the countdown with her hit single "Boom Clap." But, that's not all: Becky G also proved victorious, jumping from sixth place all the way up to second! If you want to see your favorite artists make the countdown, be sure to vote right here!
Fresh artist Colette Carr is doing BIG things right now! She just released her newest single, "HAM," featuring Ben J from hip hop duo New Boyz. And did you know in addition to her singing career, Colette hosts her own radio show?!
But let's not forget about American indie pop band Bleachers! We can't wait to see Jack Antonoff (from fun.!) rep his new project on Friday's episode! But until then, listen to Bleachers' new song "I Wanna Get Better," along with a ton of other totally awesome tunes on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist below!
So sit back, relax and VOTE before watching TeenNick Top 10 at 10 pm ET this Friday on TeenNick!
- Posted on 08/15/2014 by Kayla6548
TeenNick's hottest summer yet is about to close up shop, but that doesn't mean we're freezing things up here at TeenNick Top 10! Tonight, we're bringing you a fresh roster of hot videos, so get pumped to hear some of your favorites! Are you ready?
This week, we'll also be welcoming celebrity guests AJR and the return of fresh artist Katy Tiz! Did you know AJR stands for the three brothers Adam, Jack and Ryan? Their New York City-based indie pop band has been taking over with their debut single "I'm Ready!" The music video even features a snippet of our beloved SpongeBob SquarePants repeatedly singing his signature catchphrase, "I'm Ready." (Cool, huh?!)
In other news, last week on TNT10, MAGIC! finished at number one in the countdown for their first time! Can you believe it? Let's hope they can keep their winning streak going two weeks in a row! But, something tells us Charli XCX and her hit single "Boom Clap" might be catching up! It's up to you, fans! Vote right here if you want to see your favorite artists make the countdown!
So be sure to vote and tune in Friday at 10 pm ET on TeenNick to watch all the excitement! You won't regret it!
- Posted on 08/08/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
It's official. We love Katy Tiz. She's a super talented songstress from the UK (currently holding it down in the U.S. of A), and if you haven't heard of her yet, listen up. Katy's hit single "The Big Bang" is a funky, sassy tune that's every bit '20s swing band as it is straight-up pop. Her voice is a perfect mix of Adele and Fergie, but at the same time something new and unforgettable. We caught up with our newest Fresh Artist to learn a little more about her background and career. Check it out below!
1. Congratulations on signing with Atlantic Records! After releasing music independently for some time, how does it feel to make it with such a big name label?
It's AMAZING!! I still wake up everyday and have a little scream... It can get a little awkward when I'm alone and walking down the street... ;)
2. You're originally from the UK but have recently been spending a lot of time around the US. What has been your favorite city to visit so far?
Wow! That's a hard one, I fell in love with Chicago, Seattle, San fransisco and many more! I'm so lucky to travel and get to visit all the places. I do love anywhere with high buildings. I'm all about a view.
3. What made you want to pursue music? Has singing always been your passion?
Music has always been a huge part of my life. It's helped me through some rough patches. I was a late bloomer at 18, but my dream is to help others the way music has helped me. This is what has made me chase my passion.
4. If you had the chance to do a musical collab with any artist, who would it be and why?
Hmmmmmmmm... Well I was lucky enough to go and see Justin Timberlake in concert this weekend [interview conducted in July] and he was incredible so I would have to say him! #fangirlmoment
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked Katy a series of silly questions, and here are the first things that came to mind!
If you want to catch more of Katy, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in tonight at 10pm ET!
- Posted on 08/07/2014 by Kayla6548
Summer's not over yet! While you spend these last few weeks lounging by the pool or hanging at the beach (before you start buying school supplies), get down with us to TeenNick Top 10's Best Hits of the Summer! We have the perfect soundtrack to help you savor every last minute of sunshine.
This Friday, Kira Kosarin and Jack Griffo from the cast of The Thundermans will be joining us on TNT10! They'll be chatting it up and counting it down along with Nick Cannon and fresh artist Katy Tiz. And did you know Katy's super popular debut single "The Big Bang" landed her a major label recording contract? Way to go, girl!
But let's not forget about last week's excitement! Fresh artists Nico & Vinz finally secured their spot at number one in the countdown! Ariana Grande, looks like your back-to-back standing in first place was stolen by this talented twosome! But don't worry guys, YOU control the fate of your favorite artists! So vote right here for this Friday's episode and tune in at 10 pm ET on TeenNick to see which videos made the cut.
Can't wait for tomorrow? In the meantime, check out TeenNick Top 10's Spotify Playlist. Rock out and sing along to some of your favorite summer hits, while you still can!
- Posted on 07/30/2014 by Kayla6548
TeenNick Top 10 fans, listen up! This Friday at 10pm ET there's an all-new episode of your favorite music countdown. Tune in to see the return of fresh artists Nico & Vinz and a visit from celebrity guest Trey Songz!
Grammy nominee, Tremaine Aldon Neverson, or better known as Trey Songz, is definitely not a rookie in the music business. He just released his sixth album, titled "Trigga," which features his lead single "Na Na." And something tells us Songz won't be stopping anytime soon!
And for the second time on TNT10, fresh artists Nico & Vinz, will be joining us this week! Thanks to their awesome fans, they jumped from number three in the countdown to number two with their hit single "Am I Wrong"! But do you think a #1 is in their future? If you want to see this talented twosome top the totem pole, be sure to vote right here.
Okay, now it's recap time! Last week we hung out with celebrity guest MAGIC!, but unfortunately they stayed stagnant in the competition, remaining fourth in the countdown. So how do we fix this? YOU VOTE. And when will you see which summer single made the countdown? FRIDAY at 10pm ET. And where do you watch? RIGHT HERE, ON TEENNICK. See you then!
- Posted on 07/25/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
By now you've probably cruised down the highway to Nico & Vinz's breakout single "Am I Wrong?" blasting through the speakers. Or maybe you've tapped your toes to its infections beat at a pool party. In whatever way this inspiring and totally danceable summer smash has soundtracked your summer, it's pretty obvious that this Norwegian hit-making duo is doing something so right.
But here's the thing: For Nico & Vinz, there's a lot more where that came from. We caught up with our new Fresh Artist to learn more about their debut album, their musical influences, and fun facts about their past! Check it out!
1. Coming from Norway, how does it feel to see your music spread across the globe?
It's almost indescribable. We're are having the time of our lives right now, trying to soak it all up. We always had a dream of having our music reach and touch people all over the world, and to see that dream happen is beyond amazing. We're truly grateful for the support and we're working to pay you back with the best music we can make!
2. Your sound has roots in African rhythms and textures, but with a Scandinavian pop twist. What do you think is most special about that unique combination of influences?
The most special thing about it is that it's very personal, it's Nico & Vinz. We figured that the best way to be unique, is to be yourself, because there's no one like you. So we started making music with that mentality and mixed our personalities and backgrounds in the music. Born and raised in Norway with parents from Ghana, Ivory Coast and Norway, influenced by the hip hop-culture.
3. Has music always been your main focus and passion? How did you two become a duo?
Nico wanted to be a professional soccer player and Vinz was studying before we decided to focus on music at the age of 20.
4. Can you remember the first album or record that made a lasting impression on you?
Nico: Nas Illmatic
Vinz: Dr. Dre 2001
5. For fans who are eager to hear more music from you, what can they expect in the coming months?
Right now we're in the midst of finishing up our debut album Black Star Elephant, which will be out during fall. The album is a story based on our journey from where we started to where we've come now. We are very excited about releasing it and we definitely feel like this is our best music so far!
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked nico & Vinz a series of silly questions, and here's what they had to say!
If you want to catch more of these guys, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in this Friday at 10pm ET!