Blog | TeenNick Top 10
- Posted on 03/05/2014 by baileyb2112
On last week's episode of TeenNick Top 10, Lorde's team of #1 fans voted her to the top of the countdown with her video for "Team," knocking Ellie Goulding off of her throne. Plus, the heartthrobs of One Direction managed to climb their way to the #2 spot with their video for "Story of My Life."
Here's the full countdown from Friday, 2/28/14:
1. Lorde, "Team"
2. One Direction, "Story of My Life"
3. Ellie Goulding, "Burn"
4. John Newman, "Love Me Again"
5. Jason DeRulo feat. 2 Chainz, "Talk Dirty"
6. Avicii, "Hey Brother"
7. Austin Mahone feat. Pitbull, "Mmm Yeah"
8. Lea Michele, "Cannonball"
9. A Great Big World feat. Christina Aguilera, "Say Something"
Want to make sure you see all of your favorite videos on next week's countdown? Vote NOW for Friday's episode right here! Then, tune in Friday to learn which videos made the cut, and stick around for some very special guests: Hot Chelle Rae! Can't wait until Friday? Here are some facts you might not have known about this sizzling pop group:
Don't miss this group of Nashville boys on this Friday's episode of TeenNick Top 10! But until then, check out all of the songs in the running for this week's countdown, including all of the new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist below!
Will Lorde continue to reign over the countdown next week, or will another superstar take her place? VOTE, give us your best predictions in the comments below, and tune in Friday at 10pm ET to find out!
- Posted on 02/26/2014 by baileyb2112
Last week, Ellie Goulding started off Season 3 of TeenNick Top 10, setting fire to the countdown with her sizzling video for "Burn." Plus, 17-year-old superstar Lorde (best known for her mega-hit "Royals") climbed to the #2 spot with her video for "Team."
Here's the full countdown from Friday, 2/14/14:
1. Ellie Goulding, "Burn"
2. Lorde, "Team"
3. One Direction, "Story of My Life"
4. Passenger, "Let Her Go"
5. Sara Bareilles, "Brave"
6. A Great Big World feat. Christina Aguilera, "Say Something"
7. Beyonce, "XO"
8. Pharrell Williams, "Happy"
9. Austin Mahone feat. Pitbull, "Mmm Yeah"
10. Jake Miller, "Collide"
If you want to make sure the videos you love have a place on this week's countdown, vote right here! This is an episode you don't want to miss because we've got a group of very special guests: LITTLE MIX! This girl group has blown up over the last few years, and we can't wait to see where they go next.
We know you can't wait to see these super special guests on Friday's episode! But until then, check out all of the songs in the running for this week's countdown (including all of the new nominees) on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist below!
Will Ellie Goulding be able to hold on to that top spot, or will someone else knock her off of her throne? It's up to you! VOTE VOTE VOTE, then give us your best predictions in the comments, and find out during this Friday's episode!
- Posted on 02/24/2014 by TeenNickBlogger
If you thought Denmark's greatest gift to the United States was the country's delicious namesake puff pastry, then think again. New Politics are a three-piece band who burst on the scene after relocating from their hometown of Copenhagen to the artistic paradise of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and have since won many international hearts! The Danish-bred lads serve a unique blend of pop-tinged punk, and their performances are full of energy, heart, and even acrobatics. Check out our exclusive Q&A with our brand-new Fresh Artist below!
1. You're originally from Copenhagen, Denmark, but have since relocated to Brooklyn, New York. Have any music influences traveled with you from Denmark to the States?
Yes. We are very influenced by American and British music, but we also have our own Scandinavian music that has influenced us, as well.
2. You're currently on the Harlem, USA Tour and will eventually gear up for the Monumentour this summer with Fall Out Boy and Paramore. What's the best part about being on tour?
Meeting all of awesome fans. And playing our music every night. Touring with other bands is always inspiring and keeps us working hard.
3. David, you incorporate break-dancing into a lot of your live shows, and it's featured in your video for "Harlem." How did you get into break-dancing? How has the break-dancing culture and/or Harlem influenced your sound?
I got into break-dancing as a kid with my friends in Copenhagen. I fell in love with it and never stopped. Dancing has always been a part of New Politics and, yes, I am heavily influenced by all dancing cultures. It was surreal visiting Harlem because it is one of the birth places if hip-hop.
4. What's the best and/or weirdest thing that's ever happened at a New Politics show?
There are so many crazy things that happen on the road. Pinpointing one thing is hard. But if we had to pick one the best moments was performing on Jimmy Fallon. It was so unreal being on that stage with Jimmy Fallon to the right of us and the Roots to the left. Mind blowing!
5. If you could collaborate with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?
We all have different people we would love to collaborate with. A few of them would be John Lennon, Kurt Cobain or Elvis Presley.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked New Politics a series of silly questions, and here's the first thing that came to their mind!
CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA: Vanilla
ALL-TIME FAVORITE SONG: Billy Jean
TATTOOS OR PIERCINGS: Tattoos
FAVORITE PLACE TO PLAY: Las Vegas
PRE-SHOW RITUAL: A good nights rest, and our dis-harmonic circle we do before we play.
ULTIMATE COLLABORATION: Dave Grohl, Pharell Williams, Max Martin
ZOMBIE OR VAMPIRE?: Zombie
WHO WOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY YOU IN MOVIE?: Will Ferrell
IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE SUPERPOWER, WHAT WOULD IT BE?: Flying
If you want to catch more of these guys, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in this Friday at 10PM ET!
- Posted on 02/19/2014 by baileyb2112
It's the moment you've all been waiting for...TeenNick Top 10 is back! Your favorite music video countdown returns THIS FRIDAY at 10pm ET with new songs, new stars and new special guests.
This week, Nick Cannon will welcome one countdown favorite into TeenNick Headquarters. They're fierce, they're talented, there's five of them. Are you all ready for a little Fifth Harmony lovin'?! This power girl group made it big in 2013 (they were a TeenNick Top 10 Fresh Artist, after all), and we can't wait to see what 2014 brings for them!
Until then, you can help all of your favorite videos make it onto the countdown this week. Vote NOW for Friday's episode right here!
As always, don't forget to check out all of the songs in the running, including this week's new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist! Who will be crowned the king or queen of this week's countdown? Leave your best predictions in the comments and tune in this Friday at 10pm ET to find out!
- Posted on 01/30/2014 by Rachel1016
Where will you be on February 2nd when the Seattle Seahawks face off against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII? The pinnacle of sporting events is upon us, and we've made it our personal mission to give you everything you need for the best Super Bowl party ever!
Whether you're a devoted fan, or are just looking for an excuse to throw a fiesta in the dead of winter, check out all of the fun things we have lined up for football's biggest night. After all, this Sunday is considered to be a cherished American holiday! (No, we're not referring to Groundhog Day.)
TUNE IN TO TEENNICK TOP 10'S SUPER BOWL PARTY PLAYLIST SPECIAL
This Friday, January 31st at 10pm ET, we're getting the party started with a very special, totally amped-up, Super Bowl-themed episode of TeenNick Top 10!
New York Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz will join Nick Cannon for an exclusive countdown of all of the tunes to get you straight revved for The Big Game! That's right, we're talking anthems about teamwork, courage, and determination. Will Gaga make the cut? Is Eminem going to kick up the intensity? Will One Direction keep us motivated? Find out this Friday!
PLAY SUPER BOWL BINGO
Is your competitive spirit desperate to be unleashed? Print out these custom Super Bowl Bingo cards here and keep an eye on things that happen on and off the field! Get in the game because, who knows, you might go home a double winner!
WOW YOUR FRIENDS WITH THESE TOP 10 SUPER BOWL FUN FACTS
You don't have to be a football expert to impress your friends this Sunday. Quickly study these ten fun facts about the game and whip them out when you wanna show off your knowledge!
1. The Green Bay Packers were the first team to win the Super Bowl in 1967.
2. The Vince Lombardi trophy, which is awarded to the winning team every year, is named after the legendary coach who lead the Packers to that first Super Bowl Victory.
3. The longest field goal in Super Bowl history was scored by Steve Christie of the Buffalo Bills in Super Bowl XXVIII against the Dallas Cowboys. The field goal was a whopping 54 yards long.
4. The Super Bowl is the only major sporting event to be measured in Roman numerals.
5. Holy guacamole! The Hass Avocado Board predicts that Super Bowl fans will consume a whopping 208 million avocados on Sunday.
6. This year is the first year the Super Bowl will take place outdoors in a cold weather city. Brrrr!
7. Opera singer Renee Fleming will sing the National Anthem at this year's game. She is the first opera singer to be awarded the honor!
8. No Super Bowl game has ever gone into overtime.
9. Super Bowl XLV in 2011 was the most viewed show in U.S. television history.
10. The Pittsburgh Steelers hold the record for the most Super Bowl victories, having won six times.
So, what will you be doing in preparation for Sunday? Let us know in the comments, and don't forget to catch TeenNick Top 10 this Friday, January 31st at 10pm ET!
- Posted on 12/27/2013 by Rachel1016
The Countdown to the New Year is ON! We're closing out 2013 by taking a look back at all of the amazing things that happened this year, and whether you've got big plans or are looking forward to a low-key hangout with your BBFs (furry and otherwise), we've got a few tips for making this New Year's one to remember!
And don't forget to join us for TeenNick Top 10's New Years Eve Countdown! Starting at 11pm ET on Tuesday, December 31st, special guests Echosmith and 4Count will join our Master of Ceremonies Mr. Nick Cannon for a night of music, memories, and FUN!
1.Decorate! New Year's Eve is one of the only acceptable holidays where using sparkles, glitter, and confetti in excess is allowed. String up the streamers, throw some confetti around, and blow up the balloons � the more color, the better!
2.Pile on NYE swag! What other time of year can you wear glasses, top hats, and chain necklaces with giant numbers on them? Yes, New Year's accessories are ridiculous and over the top, but if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
3. Make some noise! The louder, the better � it's time to celebrate! Grab those noisemakers, horns, hand clappers, whistles, blowouts, and party poppers and start 2014 on a loud note!
4. Dress up! Look, we love sweatpants as much as the next couch potato, but it's New Year's Eve. Why not slip on some fancy shoes, wear that nice crisp shirt, or sprinkle yourself in fun jewelry?! Or, if you're looking for something even subtler, swipe a little glitter on your face or mix it in with your nail polish or lip-gloss. Whether you're going out to a full-blown fancy party or ringing in the New Year from the comfort of your couch, those little additions will totally help put you in the spirit.
5. Dance! Whether you're a twerker, a mosher, or a sidestep shuffler, it's one of the best days of the year to dance like no one's watching! Play DJ and pick your favorite songs from the year OR have your friends each pick five songs and create an uber playlist that all will enjoy!
6. Chow down! Have some of your friends bring their favorite small dish to share. Crowd-pleasing thought starters include chips and dip, pigs in a blanket, or puppy chow! Not only will you spend less time prepping for the party but you'll be sure to have a great sampling of appetizers to keep everyone satisfied throughout the night.
7. Game on! Let's face it; everyone's got a little competitive spirit in them. Dust off those board games from the closet or show off your Dance Dance Revolution skills. Either way, your night is bound to end in laughs. It's a win-win!
8. Traditions for life! Did you know the Spaniards have a New Years Eve tradition of eating 12 grapes (one for every chime of the clock) at midnight? Or did you know that in Mexico, it' is tradition to write down a list of the bad events over the past 12 months and then throw it into a fire to help remove any negative energy at the start of 2014? Why not partake in some worldly traditions or make a new one up with your friends!
9. Capture the moment…and save it for the next day! Posting photos is so second nature now that sometimes we forget to actually live in the moment and enjoy it. When you're snapping pics, remember to put the phone down once in a while and enjoy your company. Post them the next day when people are more likely to see them�and when you can take your time choosing cool filters and writing funny captions.
10. Show the love! You know it's coming so there is no excuse to not be properly prepared when that midnight kiss comes along. Pop a mint, brush your teeth, apply that Chap Stick, do whatever you need to ensure that the first kiss (or hug with your BFF) of 2014 will be the best!
- Posted on 12/20/2013 by TeenNickBlogger
Every once in a while, a band will come along and make you want to know everything about them. So let the YouTube stalking commence, y'all, because we are officially obsessed with TeenNick Top 10's newest Fresh Artist, Echosmith (and think you should be, too).
The indie-pop band of siblings, otherwise known as Jamie, Noah, Graham and Sydney Sierota, burst onto the scene this year with their debut album, Talking Dreams. We caught up with Echosmith to get some exclusive insight on their unique sound, their already blossoming career, and what lies ahead for the new year! Check it out below!
Congratulations on your incredible debut album Talking Dreams! How many months (or years) was it in the making?
Thank you! We are so very proud of it. Really, we've been working our entire lives up to this moment, releasing our first record. We spent two years writing specifically for it, and eventually came to the 12 [songs] on the record. We learned a ton while preparing and writing for this record.
You've cited several (awesome) 80's rock bands like Joy Division and The Smiths as your influences. What sort of influences contribute to the pop half of your indie-pop sound?
We love pop songs. Peter Gabriel is a huge influence on us, as is Coldplay and Fleetwood Mac. They all wrote/write such amazing pop songs, and it's something that we try our best to do as well.
Your single "Tonight We're Making History" was featured in a promo for the Summer Olympics on NBC. What was that experience like? Was that one of the first defining moments of your career?
Having our song on the Olympics was such a fun experience. It was our first time hearing ourselves on television, making it a very momentous occasion.
What is your songwriting process like? Does one person typically come to the rest of the group with ideas, or do you collaborate differently every time?
It changes per song. We don't force rules [or make] it only come from one person. We love getting different points of view and working on them together. We think it gives each song a different mood.
Many of your songs deal with universally relatable things like love, acceptance, and growing up. "Cool Kids," in particular, talks about the tough parts of adolescence. What message did you hope to send with that song?
"Cool Kids" is a story of feeling alone and being an outsider. We think it's a feeling that we all go through at times in our lives, and is a very difficult subject to talk about. With this song, we wanted to let out in the open that feeling, but also the hope past it. Often times, those [people who] have everything, have very little. There are so many beautiful unique things about us all, and we should show it. That was our message with "Cool Kids."
What was your favorite part about being on the Warped Tour 2013? Did you become close with any of the other bands?
We loved Warped Tour. Overall it was such a different experience for us [because] only our guitarist had been, and that was only once. We jumped right into a world that we really never experienced before. We got to meet so many amazing people through it. We made friends with bands like Alvarez Kings, Hands like Houses, Tonight Alive and pretty much everyone else.
Now that you've released your album, what's next for Echosmith?
Touring! We love playing live, and that has been an amazing way of getting our music out to people. So you can expect plenty of shows, and I'm sure we will always be writing through it all.
If you want to catch more of Echosmith, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And, of course, don't forget to tune in tonight at 10PM ET!
- Posted on 12/18/2013 by baileyb2112
You guys showed Katy Perry some unconditional love on last Friday's episode of TeenNick Top 10, helping her steal the #1 spot from Selena with her video for "Unconditionally!" Plus, countdown favorites Imagine Dragons climbed to #2 with their video for "Demons," leaving Selena to settle for the bronze.
You're not going to want to miss this week's all new episode, because you're in for a VERY special treat! The iconic trio of brothers known as HANSON will be gracing us with their presence at TeenNick headquarters, mmmbopping all the way. This will be the last episode of 2013 before TeenNick Top 10 takes a break for the holidays, so make sure to tune in! We'll see you in the New Year!
Here's last week's full countdown:
1. Katy Perry "Unconditionally"
2. Imagine Dragons "Demons"
3. Selena Gomez "Slow Down"
4. Zedd f/ Hayley Williams "Stay the Night"
5. Ariana Grande f/ Big Sean "Right There"
6. One Direction "Story Of My Life"
7. One Republic "Counting Stars"
8. Wonder Broz "What They Call That"
9. Jason Derulo "Marry Me"
10. A Great Big World "Say Something"
If you want to see all of your favorite artists on the countdown this Friday, vote NOW for this week's episode right here! As always, don't forget to check out all of the songs in the running, including this week's new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist! Take a break from all that Christmas music and rock out to these jams instead!
Can Katy Perry hold on to that lead, or will your votes crown a new champion? Find out the results on TeenNick Top 10 this Friday at 10 PM ET. Until then, let us know what you thought of Friday's countdown in the comments!
- Posted on 12/11/2013 by baileyb2112
It looks like Selena Gomez was NOT slowing down on last week's episode of TeenNick Top 10! Her video made it all the way to the top spot, knocking Miley off her throne! Katy Perry was not far behind, coming in at #2 with her video for "Unconditionally." Plus, special guest Avril Lavigne rounded out a night of rockstar ladies when she stopped by the TeenNick headquarters last Friday!
This week, catch an all-new episode and a fresh countdown, featuring special guests, A Great Big World! Don't forget to show your love for your favorite artists! They need YOU to take them to the top!
Until then, here's the full list of songs from last Friday, 12/06/13:
- Selena Gomez, "Slow Down"
- Katy Perry, "Unconditionally"
- Imagine Dragons, "Demons"
- Ariana Grande f/ Big Sean, "Right There"
- One Direction, "Story of My Life"
- Travie McCoy f/ Jason Mraz, "Rough Water"
- Wonder Broz, "What They Call That"
- Lady Gaga, "Applaise"
- Nick Cannon, "Me Sexy"
- Zedd f/ Hayley Williams, "Stay the Night"
If you want to see your favorite videos make the next countdown, vote NOW for this week's episode right here!
As always, don't forget to check out all of the songs in the running, including this week's new nominees, on TeenNick Top 10's Spotify playlist! Take a break from all that Christmas music and rock out to these jams instead!
Can Selena keep her spot at #1, or will your votes decide a new winner?? Find out the results on TeenNick Top 10 this Friday at 10 PM ET. Until then, let us know what you thought of Friday's countdown in the comments!
Posted on 12/05/2013 by TeenNickBlogger
Alright, let's state the obvious: sibling boy bands have been around for a minute. In the '90s we swooned over the golden-locked Hanson brothers, and the early aughts brought on the global sensation that was Jonas. But there's a new brotherly trio on deck, and they're ready to separate themselves from their (albeit legendary) predecessors.
Meet AJR: the three-piece indie-pop outfit comprised of, logically, Adam, Jack and Ryan. They're already armed with an impressive YouTube following and a smash hit (which, BTW, features our very own pineapple-dwelling, squarepantsed sea sponge), but AJR are about to make even more noise…and we're not just talking about annoying neighbors from their New York City living room. We caught up with the boys to talk about their growing career, their songwriting process, and what it's like to be in a family band!
How do you collaborate on music? Does one of you primarily write most of the songs, or is it a joint effort?
We've been working together for such a long time that the writing and production of the music has become very smooth. Ryan is the primary writer and producer, but the process of creating music is very much a collaborative one. After eight years of developing AJR, we all have a shared vision of the type of band we want to be, and the type of impact we want to have on the industry.
How has growing up in New York City influenced your sound?
New York City is such an icon for singer/songwriters like Simon and Garfunkel and Leonard Cohen, and even for contemporary artists like Vampire Weekend and Fun.; some of our inspirations. We're born and bred in this city, and it inspires our aesthetic as a band, our lyrics, and even the industrial electronic elements of our sound.
Your track "I'm Ready" samples SpongeBob Squarepants. How did you decide to include that?
Jack came up with the idea to use the Spongebob sample in a dubstep song. He brought it up to us by saying, "someone like Skrillex should sample Spongebob," and our next thought was, "why couldn't we do it?" Spongebob was a big part of our childhood, and we thought that it was a cool little throwback to our fan-base's childhood too.
Your music has an awesome ability to be both fresh and eclectic but also undeniably catchy. Do you look to different eras and genres for inspiration?
Thanks so much. That's a big reason the Beach Boys are such an inspiration to us; they were able to create music that was musically sophisticated, but present it in a catchy, sing-along-able way that was accessible to the public. To answer your question: yes, we take huge influence from the music of the 1950's and 60's and combine those influences with modern and innovative production.
Some of your songs feature what you call "spokestep." Can you tell us a little more about what that is and how you use it in your music?
Spokestep is a sort of sub-genre we're developing, and we've sprinkled it into a bunch of the tracks you'll hear when the album drops. The sound of dubstep is created by taking a distorted bass-line and messing with it over a beat. This can mean cutting the audio up, or putting filters on it. We thought we could take that same approach with vocal melodies: and that's essentially what spokestep is.
You guys are getting ready to release your album independently. What advice would you give other artists who release their music without the help of a major label?
The worst advice we ever got was to try and be like other artists. We've been in so many meetings over the years where we were advised to be more like the popular bands of the time. I think that an advantage of going the indie route is that we're our own bosses, and we can be very authentic in our music, our images, and our videos. So the best advice we can give to another artist is: develop and showcase the unique parts of yourself.
Out of the three of you, who is the most likely to goof around when you're rehearsing?
Jack is probably the most likely to goof off. It's good to have that kind of energy around though; it can get really intense working in a little apartment like ours.
What's the best part about being in a band with your brothers?
It's great to be able to be perfectly honest with each other. For us, the workday doesn't end at 5pm. We are constantly pushing ourselves forward, and an important part of this growth is being honest with each other about all aspects of the band.
AJR, everybody! There's only one question left: what will their fan army name be? AJRmy?! (Don't lie, that's pretty good.)
If you want to catch more of these guys, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And, of course, don't forget to tune in this Friday at 10PM ET!