TeenNick Top 10 Fresh Artist Interview: New Politics
If you thought Denmark's greatest gift to the United States was the country's delicious namesake puff pastry, then think again. New Politics are a three-piece band who burst on the scene after relocating from their hometown of Copenhagen to the artistic paradise of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and have since won many international hearts! The Danish-bred lads serve a unique blend of pop-tinged punk, and their performances are full of energy, heart, and even acrobatics. Check out our exclusive Q&A with our brand-new Fresh Artist below!
1. You're originally from Copenhagen, Denmark, but have since relocated to Brooklyn, New York. Have any music influences traveled with you from Denmark to the States?
Yes. We are very influenced by American and British music, but we also have our own Scandinavian music that has influenced us, as well.
2. You're currently on the Harlem, USA Tour and will eventually gear up for the Monumentour this summer with Fall Out Boy and Paramore. What's the best part about being on tour?
Meeting all of awesome fans. And playing our music every night. Touring with other bands is always inspiring and keeps us working hard.
3. David, you incorporate break-dancing into a lot of your live shows, and it's featured in your video for "Harlem." How did you get into break-dancing? How has the break-dancing culture and/or Harlem influenced your sound?
I got into break-dancing as a kid with my friends in Copenhagen. I fell in love with it and never stopped. Dancing has always been a part of New Politics and, yes, I am heavily influenced by all dancing cultures. It was surreal visiting Harlem because it is one of the birth places if hip-hop.
4. What's the best and/or weirdest thing that's ever happened at a New Politics show?
There are so many crazy things that happen on the road. Pinpointing one thing is hard. But if we had to pick one the best moments was performing on Jimmy Fallon. It was so unreal being on that stage with Jimmy Fallon to the right of us and the Roots to the left. Mind blowing!
5. If you could collaborate with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be?
We all have different people we would love to collaborate with. A few of them would be John Lennon, Kurt Cobain or Elvis Presley.
RAPID FIRE QUESTIONS
And now, the rapid fire round! We asked New Politics a series of silly questions, and here's the first thing that came to their mind!
CHOCOLATE OR VANILLA: Vanilla
ALL-TIME FAVORITE SONG: Billy Jean
TATTOOS OR PIERCINGS: Tattoos
FAVORITE PLACE TO PLAY: Las Vegas
PRE-SHOW RITUAL: A good nights rest, and our dis-harmonic circle we do before we play.
ULTIMATE COLLABORATION: Dave Grohl, Pharell Williams, Max Martin
ZOMBIE OR VAMPIRE?: Zombie
WHO WOULD YOU WANT TO PLAY YOU IN MOVIE?: Will Ferrell
IF YOU COULD HAVE ONE SUPERPOWER, WHAT WOULD IT BE?: Flying
If you want to catch more of these guys, head over to the TeenNick Top 10 page! And don't forget to tune in this Friday at 10PM ET!